Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Endless Trash posted:

[wormhole does a rosebud]

[wormhole tightens up]

God dammit, now I have that image in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

didn't even know this happend because as far as I know at this point the intro goes like this:
[meteor]
duu-bu-bu-buu
[rick berman & michael piller]
BWAHHHH

ha, same

worf sucks in ds9. i mean, he's always sucked, but he really sucks in ds9

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ds9 at least treated worf better than bashir or jadzia. i think he got more development than either despite not actually changing at all over the course of the show.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
julian settles into cheeky and charming well enough, but lol at jadzia. man, they had no loving idea what to do with her character and actress.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

She banged that one fire breathing dude at her bachelorette party

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Worf in ds9 is worth it for the time he met Weyoun

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I take it back, it's implied that Jadzia banged the Samoan guy AND Morn that night

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now I want to watch a Gene Kelly dance musical where instead of men in sailor uniforms it's Cardassians' in sailor uniforms.

That's a weird way to spell Hail, Caesar!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

shadow puppet of a posted:

Those are just cardassian jeans

You would not believe cardassian jorts

For some reason I picture them also having little spoons on their knees.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 21, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one of the great failures of ds9 is that we never got to see a hunky shirtless cardassian.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one of the great failures of ds9 is that we never got to see a hunky shirtless cardassian.

Cardassians actually produce their own textiles like spiders, so in a way Garak is clothed in his own bodily extrusions so if that isn't hot enough for you I don't know what more you want.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Spoon nipples. They secretly laugh when people call them spoon heads because they're all ha, you have no idea

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have been rewatching Enterprise and I am surprised at how... Ok it is. I remember being bored stiff with the show, but didn't hate it (sans the crappy 9/11-inspired episodes, which were just awful in general). That still holds true, but having been asked to watch the outright terrible Discovery and somewhat bad Picard, in comparison this is almost good tv.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Splicer posted:

Spoon nipples. They secretly laugh when people call them spoon heads because they're all ha, you have no idea

Don't even get them started on their asscheeks.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

evilmiera posted:

I have been rewatching Enterprise and I am surprised at how... Ok it is. I remember being bored stiff with the show, but didn't hate it (sans the crappy 9/11-inspired episodes, which were just awful in general). That still holds true, but having been asked to watch the outright terrible Discovery and somewhat bad Picard, in comparison this is almost good tv.

I just don't understand, I mean, look at The Orville! That show really should be poo poo, but it's usually at the least decent TV. At its peak, it's as good as the best TNG. Why can't Star Trek be that?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mycomancy posted:

I just don't understand, I mean, look at The Orville! That show really should be poo poo, but it's usually at the least decent TV. At its peak, it's as good as the best TNG. Why can't Star Trek be that?!

TBF, at its peak, it's a pastiche of a bunch of actual TNG plots, which might be why it reminds you so much of TNG-era Star Trek.

NuTrek OTOH is being written by people who are at best peripherally aware of Star Trek and seem very much not to like it.

So yeah, Seth MacFarlane's extended TNG fanfic is definitely more Star Trek than the shows that are going out of their way to re-define Star Trek.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Why did Riker give Ensign Ro such a hard time about her earring? Worf has his sash and Troi has her spandex (though I think she looked better in a regular uniform.)

Also, Michelle Forbes > Nana Visitor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

he knows the bajorans have a kink for oppression.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Powerful negging

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Skant Troi was the best Troi, but also the Skant is the most optimal piece of clothing in the galaxy besides MAYBE Jake's glow in the dark bowling alley carpet suits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how Jake didn't want to join Starfleet and Sisko started losing his mind because he couldn't comprehend anyone not wanting to grow up and join Starfleet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PeterCat posted:

Why did Riker give Ensign Ro such a hard time about her earring? Worf has his sash and Troi has her spandex (though I think she looked better in a regular uniform.)

She didn't clear it through proper channels. Worf filled the paperwork

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Arcsquad12 posted:

You could always watch the season 4 onward intro that pissed off all the people who don't know what syncopation is.

I'm onto Best of Both Worlds. I like Shelby. She's cool and makes Riker look like an rear end.

Riker is a horse's rear end and Shelby nailed him over and over. He learned nothing from the the experience, when Jellico came in to do some hard hitting negotiations, Riker got real huffy and only made a tense situation worse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeplico's negotiation tactics weren't actually working at all. They had the appearance of working but the Cardassians had everything under control and were holding all the cards the entire time

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She didn't clear it through proper channels. Worf filled the paperwork

I could see this as being the reason. Didn't fill out the proper form and have it cleared through the S1.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PeterCat posted:

I could see this as being the reason. Didn't fill out the proper form and have it cleared through the S1.

As long as you fill out the forms, your uniform can be just about anything you want.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless it's a Bajoran earring because Riker hates Ro.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unless it's a Bajoran earring because Riker hates Ro.

Didn't they gently caress in the mass amnesia episode?

Also, the Klingons cloned Klingon Jesus. What a weird episode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's called a hatefuck op.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
So I'm watching DS9 after having kind of watched it as a kid and not remembering anything. I just got to Duet in season 1, the one with Kira and the suspected war criminal Cardassian. Is the rest of this show this good? Or are there a lot more episodes like that board game aliens one?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

PeterCat posted:

gently caress outta here

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mrs. Dash posted:

So I'm watching DS9 after having kind of watched it as a kid and not remembering anything. I just got to Duet in season 1, the one with Kira and the suspected war criminal Cardassian. Is the rest of this show this good? Or are there a lot more episodes like that board game aliens one?

The series as a whole is much closer to Duet than Move Along Home

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
move along home is also good

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mrs. Dash posted:

I’d say it’s in the middle. I’m in early season 3 of my rewatch, and there’s very few bad episodes: there’s also not a lot of amazing episodes. After 50 episodes, there’s been 4 bad ones, but the only absolute standout is Duet. The rest are actually perfectly serviceable and enjoyable tv: this is definitely not the same good/bad ratio as TNG’s first 50 episodes.
The thing I’m enjoying is that the whole show seems planned out and plotted way in advance (the Dominion is mentioned in season 1, but not revealed until season 3, for example). Also, all the characters hit the ground running. Every single member of the cast is recognisably themselves from the very first episode. It makes season 1 TNG look like community theatre.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Why does anyone give a poo poo about Klingon honor, when they always come up with bullshit explanations for why everything they do is honourable? ACSHUALLY killing unarmed people is honourable, because winning is the MOST honourable thing :klingonsay: I know y’all hate Jadzia but imo her only bad point is that she takes this garbage seriously

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why does anyone give a poo poo about Klingon honor, when they always come up with bullshit explanations for why everything they do is honourable? ACSHUALLY killing unarmed people is honourable, because winning is the MOST honourable thing :klingonsay: I know y’all hate Jadzia but imo her only bad point is that she takes this garbage seriously

If Klingons weren't so big and shouty their honor is equivalent to open air bitching. Martok does a good job of showing the better side of honor, and the vulnerable side after his time in the dominion fight camp. Worf is too much of a dweeb, Kurn is Tony Todd so he's naturally amazing.

Both Kurn and Martok are sadly the exception, not the rule on cool Klingon dudes. K'Ehleyr owns cause she happily and openly calls honor stupid.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Laterite posted:

move along home is also good

Move along home has that one very silly scene that makes everyone think that was the whole episode, but the Quark stuff is all really good. It's probably the most important character episode for Quark in the first season because it's the episode where you realize that he's actually a fundamentally decent person who deeply cares about his friends.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Klingon honour is pretty much "it's ok when WE do it." Klingons blow up a civilian transport? Glorious battle. Romulans do the same thing? Cowards.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Move Along Home is fun and good just like the baseball episode and I will not have the no-fun police disparage it. Not every episode has to be grimdark war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Klingon honour is pretty much "it's ok when WE do it." Klingons blow up a civilian transport? Glorious battle. Romulans do the same thing? Cowards.

You'd think Klingons would be happy their civilians got blown up because then even the civilians would get to experience a glorious death in battle.