Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please tell me that's a DIY hack job like that hydra-fied power cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Cojawfee posted:

Please tell me that's a DIY hack job like that hydra-fied power cord.

thats a bendy light. its 100% manufactured.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Could be worse, when I worked at Maplin (think a crappier UK version of Radio Shack) I had a guy ask for the opposite. Something you could plug into a light fitting to get a socket you could then plug appliances into.
Turns out that people on the local markets would make them as you had to pay to get a mains plug but the lighting was free so they'd make adaptors to get free power for their market stall.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
$7 for a two pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHAE56S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yE67Eb1HEYFW7

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

That goes back to the early days of electricity. Where I grew up there's Riordan Mansion, a huge house built in 1904 that was one of the first (if not the first) house in the city with electric lights inside. There were a few small electric appliances, and they all used the plug-in-socket adapter as there were no outlets wired into the house, just electric lighting. A lot of the house is original and they had a few of those still around to demonstrate how they plugged stuff in.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PirateDentist posted:

That goes back to the early days of electricity. Where I grew up there's Riordan Mansion, a huge house built in 1904 that was one of the first (if not the first) house in the city with electric lights inside. There were a few small electric appliances, and they all used the plug-in-socket adapter as there were no outlets wired into the house, just electric lighting. A lot of the house is original and they had a few of those still around to demonstrate how they plugged stuff in.

I've seen old homes in galveston that just have a cord with a 2 prong female plug on the end, coming out of the baseboard. So you don't get an outlet, or a grounded outlet, just this old brittle braided extension cord.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PirateDentist posted:

Thats basically down the street from me and I have always been meaning to check it out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Platystemon posted:

Looks like a toy.

There's too much weight to it unless it's one of those insanely detailed five-figure RC cars with delicately machined springs and a six sig-fig weight balance that's intended to perfectly simulate the real thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Could be worse, when I worked at Maplin (think a crappier UK version of Radio Shack) I had a guy ask for the opposite. Something you could plug into a light fitting to get a socket you could then plug appliances into.
Turns out that people on the local markets would make them as you had to pay to get a mains plug but the lighting was free so they'd make adaptors to get free power for their market stall.

I know people who have every bit of outdoor power from those adapters. They're commonly available at pretty much every home goods store in the states.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

I know people who have every bit of outdoor power from those adapters. They're commonly available at pretty much every home goods store in the states.

Yeah, I think they're especially common for running Christmas lights. Of course I'm sure there are people out there running way more current through them than they should.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kith posted:

There's too much weight to it unless it's one of those insanely detailed five-figure RC cars with delicately machined springs and a six sig-fig weight balance that's intended to perfectly simulate the real thing.

Platystemon posted:

Looks like a toy.

It an custom built RC jeep per word of video taker.

Its also fairly obvious if you look at the lights and the supposed "arm" because the arm is pretty darn plastic looking.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Kith posted:

JohnnyQ90 checking in

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It just felt off to the degree I thought a hand was going to come down and pick it up on the first watch through.

It’s pretty well done, but the rocks look like they came out of a bottle, the foliage is too springy for its scale, and the windscreen is too clean, and possibly made of polycarbonate.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 22, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Telsa Cola posted:

Its also fairly obvious if you look at the lights and the supposed "arm" because the arm is pretty darn plastic looking.

I'm impressed, the suspension was enough to fool me.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

If you work a day in the film or live event industry you'll get a lot less scared of electricity than is advisable.

here's the 220v, 100A bates cable. I never liked the exposed pins with no clear labeling from a distance, and the fit is tight so the hubs like to stick together which leads to yanking on them to seperate. These things need generators or two phases to get up to 220v obviously. They weigh 1lb per foot of cable. Some lights need one of these cables to just run, say a 20,000 watt tungsten unit, and laying out the cable run for a shot and then rolling up the run two hours later can be backbreaking work.

then there's camlock, these things can deliver up to 400A, much better design. Laying these out takes time, since unlike bates cable, each phase, neutral, and ground will have its own cable. So of course if you forget the mantra 'pins towards power' and run 150' the wrong direction, there are suicide plugs we in the industry call 'gender benders' to help you. At a pound / foot of cable and potentially 5 cables to run, it's worth the added risk.

There's basically no end to filmmakers making tools to get power or gear to where they need it.

What does this do? Well, the metal part is a standard pin that you can hang a light from. The thread down there just happens to fight a lightbulb socket perfectly. Unfortunately it does not also provide power to the lamp, so you'll have to run power from somewhere else that's potentially out of phase with the socket.

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 22, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

What does this do? Well, the metal part is a standard pin that you can hang a light from. The thread down there just happens to fight a lightbulb socket perfectly.

You saved the most horrifying for last.

I can’t say that I’ve ever looked up the load rating of Edison screw base sockets, but I am confident that this exceeds it many fold.

e:

NEC posted:

Luminaires and lampholders shall be securely supported. A luminaire that weighs more than 3 kg (6 lb) or exceeds 400 mm (16 in.) in any dimension shall not be supported by the screw shell of a lampholder.

They may hold substantially more before catastrophic failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0K4Dj3J3U

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 22, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Splode posted:

I'm impressed, the suspension was enough to fool me.

Theres an instagram page with a bunch of other rc cars and photos. The folks who do it are called Rivas concepts.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

One more, mildly less dangerous but still surprised me when I learned about it.

Say you want 5 small LED lights spaced about 3' apart and for some reason there's no easy way to break the edison plug out into several outlets or run several cables.

You can always make your own wiring with add-a-tap.

Buy some lamp cord and these add-a-tap fixtures. They bite through the cord and give you a female edison outlet.

Kind of hard to understand but you can plug into this.

You can also add male ends.

The nice thing is that lamp cable will fry after about 10A so you're not plugging too much into this. Hope you know how to keep track of polarity.

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 22, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More wonders possible with preschooler‐designed U.S. electrical standards:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I banned people from using drop ceiling hangers when I was ME in an event space but that is even worse my god.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Platystemon posted:

More wonders possible with preschooler‐designed U.S. electrical standards:

I saw some of these a couple years back in Canada while looking for a house. They were all over the underside of kitchen cabinets.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

corgski posted:

I banned people from using drop ceiling hangers when I was ME in an event space but that is even worse my god.

yeah i thought the babypins attached to the clamps for drop ceilings were bad but that is way more fun

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 22, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Telsa Cola posted:

Huh, you're right. Welp.

insta posted:

JohnnyQ90 checking in

I don't get the reference. :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I saw some of these a couple years back in Canada while looking for a house. They were all over the underside of kitchen cabinets.

Yeah my house has something kind of similar for the under cabinet lighting. Basically there's a solid insulated line attached to the underside of all the cabinets and then you take these little low power light fixtures that clamp onto the line and they've got a couple blades that pierce the insulation as you push the fixture onto it and the blades going into the line power the light.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah my house has something kind of similar for the under cabinet lighting. Basically there's a solid insulated line attached to the underside of all the cabinets and then you take these little low power light fixtures that clamp onto the line and they've got a couple blades that pierce the insulation as you push the fixture onto it and the blades going into the line power the light.

You know the original picture is a full 120V, ungrounded gang bang of an outlet right?

I vividly remember seeing a few as a kid. I can't for the life of me remember where but I remember thinking, even as a child, "this seems unsafe".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
it's a really genius idea as long as you don't think about safety. most power strips have 5 or 6 outlets on them, this one lets you shove as many two prong plugs as will fit.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

it's a really genius idea as long as you don't think about safety. most power strips have 5 or 6 outlets on them, this one lets you shove as many two prong plugs as will fit.

Doesn't this describe quite a few things in this thread? The stupid still reigns supreme, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lurking Haro posted:

Doesn't this describe quite a few things in this thread?

I think words to that effect have been the thread title more than once.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That literal power strip makes a good thread icon

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

are there any osha guidelines about lava

https://i.imgur.com/wSIWxNF.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kith posted:

You can usually outrun it, and if you can't, your best bet is to put your film into your backpack and lie down on it in the hope your pictures will be saved because you won't be.

Pictured, from the last thread: the 2018 Kilauea eruption lava flows, with USGS volcanologists for size.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

Practise 'floor is lava' at all times and you will be prepared!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^^^ There's a show on Netflix for training for that

Kith posted:

Turn around, don't drown whatever happens when lava engulfs your car.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cojawfee posted:

^^^^ There's a show on Netflix for training for that

Turn around, don't drown whatever happens when lava engulfs your car.

dont asphyxiate

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Re. edison screw bulbs and polarized plugs
Back in the day power was mostly distributed using IT grounding, so in principle touching a single conductor is safe unless you have a ground fault (and you almost always have a ground fault or enough leakage that it's painful).

I think this is why the german/norwegian plugs aren't polarized, since there's no live/neutral in a system with 230V delta wired 3-phase it doesn't matter which way you plug things in.
It is absolutely a safety issue that grounded plugs fit in non grounded outlets, but I haven't heard of anyone being injured by it (which does not mean it hasn't happened).

One issue we don't have a much is people using neutral as a ground return or going to chassis, since there's usually no neutral to do that with.
Instead in old houses we usually find old 3-core cables with the ground lead cut off at each end, as a little gently caress you from the past.

At least in anything built in the last ~15 years or so you'll usually have all grounded outlets with GFCIs on all circuits, so things are slowly improving.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

This is kinda sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ldpyIE5t4

Guy has a hive of overly-aggressive bees, decides to go Ripley on the queen, then makes the decision to euthanise the whole hive.

An interesting watch to see attacking bees in action. Thanks to HD cameras, you can see just how scary it is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

This is kinda sad

Guy has a hive of overly-aggressive bees, decides to go Ripley on the queen, then makes the decision to euthanise the whole hive.

An interesting watch to see attacking bees in action. Thanks to HD cameras, you can see just how scary it is.

Yeah this is something you learn about when you take up beekeeping. Step 1 is requeening the hive and see if that fixes it but if not you just have to destroy the hive. Normally you have to wear the bee suit to prevent accidental strings but when they're flying at your face and bouncing off the mask then it's really hard to work. There will be 50,000-60,000 bees in a hive and once they drop the alarm signal and start stinging more and more bees will come at you.

On the flip side of that I collected a swarm the other day and although I wore a suit because I always do I could pick up the ball of bees with my hands and no attempts to sting.

Edit: he's running double deeps there so could easily be a lot more bees than that.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 22, 2020

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kith posted:

Kinda lovely of R2 to just chill out watching someone's car burn like that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Moo the cow posted:

This is kinda sad

I am viscerally terrified of bees -- intellectually I know they are chill and will leave you alone, but if I see one flying around I go straight to panic.

I watched this whole video attempting a sort of safe exposure therapy. Welp that didn't work, now I itch all over and am shaking with adrenaline. At least now I'm awake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cthulu Carl posted:

Kinda lovely of R2 to just chill out watching someone's car burn like that.

Well R2 is more of a destroyer robot than a savior one

https://twitter.com/oijcbrown/status/1153935048342724608

Related (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/mCpI5qT.mp4