Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Wow, the PEF is a huge piece of poo poo.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Suffered through the regrind and got my research, legendary DM really is way more fun than regular DM which is really fun to begin with.
Running double accel + rudder for the meme value and im having a blast.

Realized i got a Lightning perma camo from some crate-collection, going through British DDs now.
Their gimmick is much smoke with short duration for quick disengages and potshots?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

Nothing like a CV being able to effortlessly drop bombs on a Des Moines and get citadels because CVs sure are fun. Why even have AA at this point.

A CV will be able to make one drop on pretty much any ship, but not more than that, or if they hang around they will lose hell of planes. IMO that's pretty OK from both sides, no ship should be completely immune to CVs.

The real problem is ships with such bad AA that CVs can just loiter around for as long as they want and make repeated drops with minimal plane losses.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

A CV will be able to make one drop on pretty much any ship, but not more than that, or if they hang around they will lose hell of planes. IMO that's pretty OK from both sides, no ship should be completely immune to CVs.

The real problem is ships with such bad AA that CVs can just loiter around for as long as they want and make repeated drops with minimal plane losses.

They shouldnt be able to strike off 7k from a worcester at their first official action in the game.
Id be ok if they had to wait until AA is a bit depleted by HE, but going right for one of the most subotimal ships to go for, through priority sector and AA-consumable with 2 ships adding defensive fire.
Not right away at least.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

On the other hand, no ship should be able to just undodgeably hit any other ship anywhere on the map regardless of position, through terrain, regardless of range.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

Even if they only make on drop, it’s hitting me for 12k, and they’ll be back in a minute to do it again. If they lose 2-3 planes it’s meaningless since a tier 10 cv can regenerate those shortly.
Another point is why a CV has AP bombs to begin with.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Der Shovel posted:

That's only true if the CV is a moron and eats flak. Even tier 8 CVs can make multiple drops on tier 10 ships.

Also, CVs are completely immune to ships unless the CV deliberately kills itself, so it would only be fair if ships were also completely immune to CVs unless the ship deliberately kills itself.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What is the trick to planes avoiding AA?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

What is the trick to planes avoiding AA?

WASD

Fly in toward a ship at an indirect angle - like 45 degrees or so off from where you want to end up, when you get into AA range, turn hard the other direction and speed down - the first burst of flak will now explode wildly far ahead of you and off to one side, now, turn back the other way and press W, the second round of flak will explode wildly off to the side and far behind you, now at this point you are probably within 3.5km of the target so just fly at them and do your drop, but basically just continue this until you get to the point where you want to start your drop. Flak spawns at regular intervals, in a cone in front of you depending on your course and speed - the faster you're going the wider the spread, and the farther in front of you it is. Since it comes at regular intervals you can just get the knack of changing speed and course a second or so before it hits (it has a travel time, so at this point its already been fired and it's aim point is already set), and it will always miss by an incredible degree. Also, torpedo bombers just fly under flak during their attack run - all you have to do is start your run outside of AA range and the flak will never hit it. Also planes do different things during their attack animations - British carpet bombers for instance alter their altitude immediately when you strike, and you can use that to raise yourself up over a flak wall.

This isn't the most amazing example but I just wanted to find something quick: https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateBlatantSquidCurseLit

You can see that, while he takes continuous DPS of course, only the last plane in the squad is ever being damaged, ie, no flak is hitting him

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whats the chances of Odin getting a buff that elevates it to the status of "worth playing" after some time has passed?
They ever done something like this? Buff a ship thats bad, instead of just nerfing whats good?

I would really like another KMBB in my lineup, but at the moment it doesnt sound or look like it wasnt a complete waste of dubs, even with the directives going on.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Whats the chances of Odin getting a buff that elevates it to the status of "worth playing" after some time has passed?
They ever done something like this? Buff a ship thats bad, instead of just nerfing whats good?

I would really like another KMBB in my lineup, but at the moment it doesnt sound or look like it wasnt a complete waste of dubs, even with the directives going on.

It's Wargaming, what do you think?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Odin is by all all accounts other than Flamu's just fine.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Early Odin-haver Whale report here. It's a fine ship. More importantly, it's fun. It's secondaries are definitely the best part about the ship, so building for those is the way to go.
With Concealment Expert, your Secondary range is nearly the same as your Concealment, which means you can almost immediately start firing them.

This is my build:

Ship:
Sec/AA Mod, Dam Mod 1, Sec Mod 1, Dam Mod 2, Concealment

Captain:
PT, AR, SI, CE, AFT, EL, ManSec

This does mean you have to be careful about fires, but I've managed well enough so far. Highly recommend people who enjoy something like Massachusetts or other secondary boats to pick this up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I haven’t seen Orin’s do much in game so far, but at least they don’t seem as criminally useless as the PEF.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How do you play the Massachusetts if you’re goal is to have some fun and farm credits?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get the odin then, thanks for input.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
How does the Odin compare to a Tirp or Bismarck though?

I know it has triple turrets but how’s the dispersion?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Same dispersion as bismarck but with 2.0 instead of 1.8 sigma so fewer wild rear end volleys that miss by half a kilometer on either side of your target.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't know what god I angered in regards to my Kitakaze, but I wish I could get on their good side again. Just getting dumpstered in this recently. Especially if there is a single pasta boat around, swear they never miss.
Both kita games that went bad today were wins too. So hooray for almost no xp and wasted flags.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 20, 2020

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hi I just started playing this, save for a brief time back at the game's release. Been reading a bunch about ww2 carrier battlegroups and doctrine and so i wanted to mess with some carriers. I had a bunch of xp which I think was from playing WOT a good deal a few years ago, and had enough to immediately research and buy the first US carrier. Been messing around with it getting a feel for it. At first i was very bad, now i'm regularly getting kills by keeping my ship to the side of the map and constantly sending in torpedo/dive bombers.

Any good carrier tips for a noob? I really appreciated that help about avoiding AA fire above!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
At low tiers you're pretty much invincible and can kill whatever you want at will, so have fun.

At higher tiers I guess it's not much different, but there aren't as many carriers per match.

If you get tired of playing minigames on top of a World of Warships match the surface vessels can be a lot of fun.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Aside from basic AA avoidance the real skill in carriers is just maximizing your sortie rate, there's not really anything that can stop you so the trick is to minimize wasted time and do damage as quickly as possible.

That and rendering destroyers completely impotent just by looking their way.

And remembering to move your carrier when the flank collapses.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hi I just started playing this, save for a brief time back at the game's release. Been reading a bunch about ww2 carrier battlegroups and doctrine and so i wanted to mess with some carriers. I had a bunch of xp which I think was from playing WOT a good deal a few years ago, and had enough to immediately research and buy the first US carrier. Been messing around with it getting a feel for it. At first i was very bad, now i'm regularly getting kills by keeping my ship to the side of the map and constantly sending in torpedo/dive bombers.

Any good carrier tips for a noob? I really appreciated that help about avoiding AA fire above!

Here's just some general carrier advice:

- DD's are an obvious early target, especially since pubbies will regularly turn their brains off and beeline for the nearest cap. Help your own DD win the fight or at least give him the advantage in any gunfights. Also drops fighters for friendly DD's if they're going for the cap and there's enemy planes around.
You can also drop fighters on bad-AA enemy DD's. This will annoy them and keep them lit for your team to shoot.

- Try to go for isolated targets or targets with weak AA (you'll learn this with experience). If there's no isolated targets, just spot and wait for an opportunity, don't waste planes or you'll be hamstrung in the late-game.

- In most cases, maximizing your damage means making the most of your attack runs. This means you'll need to think about your attack path and approach. Torpedo bombers, for example, are best if they can approach a target directly from the side. Take the additional time required to approach from the side properly so you increase the chance of all or most of your torps hitting the target. So don't get lazy and attack from the front, back or front/back angled. Obviously this isn't always possible, but it's best to take a few extra seconds to fly to the right spot the get the best approach.
Leading your target properly will take time to learn, but generally, for leading your target(assuming full speed and straightlining):
*DD's 2-3 ships lengths
*CL's 1,5-2 ship lenghts
*low tier/slow BB's 0,5 ship lenghts
*faster high tier BB's 1 ship length

- Like torpedo bombers being most effective from the side, dive bombers are most effective when attacking from the front and back. This is where your flak dodging skills will be most useful. When approaching, zigzag left and right slightly, this will allow you to dodge flak more easily since it always spawns directly in front of your squadrons. Keep in mind that you don't need to align the reticle with the target when you start your diving run, but only at the middle/end. Put your reticle somewhat near the front of your target, it doesn't need to be aligned with the ship directly, just put it near where you think enemy ship will be in the 3-5 seconds it takes to complete your diving run, then release when he enters the reticle.

- You want your carrier position to be not too far from the battle, but not too close either. Don't be the guy that just sits still at the edge of the map. Be aware of the minimap and move around with your teammates. Move with them, but obviously make sure you're not spotted, if you are, back off a bit. If you're on the winning flank, move up with them and stay close to the combat zone. If you're on the losing flank, leave and harass the enemy while they advance.
Be especially aware of enemy DD's, since they can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. This happens alot more in lower tiers games, but just pay attention to the minimap and make sure you know(or sort of know) where all the enemy DD's are. If one's missing, check the map edges for the sneaky shits.

That's all I can think of right now, but do all of those things and you'll be a better carrier player than 90% of the playerbase. Have fun playing the god-class.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Defensive fighters, despite their name, are not for defending anything. Their best use is to pop them where they can keep enemies spotted, or to pop them where the enemy DD’s might want to otherwise go in order to discourage them from going there, lest they be spotted.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Also if you main CVs you're a terrible person.

Such a hard ship to play

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Warhammer collaboration ships are now up.

For 50 dollars (or 42 euros) you get an Amagi with 0.1 better sigma and a 33 second reload (compared to a 30 second reload on the normal Amagi).

I don't think I'll bite.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Shivers posted:

Here's just some general carrier advice:

- DD's are an obvious early target, especially since pubbies will regularly turn their brains off and beeline for the nearest cap. Help your own DD win the fight or at least give him the advantage in any gunfights. Also drops fighters for friendly DD's if they're going for the cap and there's enemy planes around.
You can also drop fighters on bad-AA enemy DD's. This will annoy them and keep them lit for your team to shoot.

- Try to go for isolated targets or targets with weak AA (you'll learn this with experience). If there's no isolated targets, just spot and wait for an opportunity, don't waste planes or you'll be hamstrung in the late-game.

- In most cases, maximizing your damage means making the most of your attack runs. This means you'll need to think about your attack path and approach. Torpedo bombers, for example, are best if they can approach a target directly from the side. Take the additional time required to approach from the side properly so you increase the chance of all or most of your torps hitting the target. So don't get lazy and attack from the front, back or front/back angled. Obviously this isn't always possible, but it's best to take a few extra seconds to fly to the right spot the get the best approach.
Leading your target properly will take time to learn, but generally, for leading your target(assuming full speed and straightlining):
*DD's 2-3 ships lengths
*CL's 1,5-2 ship lenghts
*low tier/slow BB's 0,5 ship lenghts
*faster high tier BB's 1 ship length

- Like torpedo bombers being most effective from the side, dive bombers are most effective when attacking from the front and back. This is where your flak dodging skills will be most useful. When approaching, zigzag left and right slightly, this will allow you to dodge flak more easily since it always spawns directly in front of your squadrons. Keep in mind that you don't need to align the reticle with the target when you start your diving run, but only at the middle/end. Put your reticle somewhat near the front of your target, it doesn't need to be aligned with the ship directly, just put it near where you think enemy ship will be in the 3-5 seconds it takes to complete your diving run, then release when he enters the reticle.

- You want your carrier position to be not too far from the battle, but not too close either. Don't be the guy that just sits still at the edge of the map. Be aware of the minimap and move around with your teammates. Move with them, but obviously make sure you're not spotted, if you are, back off a bit. If you're on the winning flank, move up with them and stay close to the combat zone. If you're on the losing flank, leave and harass the enemy while they advance.
Be especially aware of enemy DD's, since they can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. This happens alot more in lower tiers games, but just pay attention to the minimap and make sure you know(or sort of know) where all the enemy DD's are. If one's missing, check the map edges for the sneaky shits.

That's all I can think of right now, but do all of those things and you'll be a better carrier player than 90% of the playerbase. Have fun playing the god-class.

Thank you so much for this! It's really helped my play today and I'm looking forward to continue learning them!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Decide to try and take the Wooster out to break out of my steady months-long slide.

Lost 3 times in a row (overall wooster winrate is 22%). Observations:

Engagement ranges are too loving long for the gun range/shells to be much use in the first 5 minutes of the game. I end up being the closest spotted ship if it's an open map, so I have to play very cautiously for 5 minutes.

In the first 5 minutes, our team will lost 3-6 ships before killing one of the enemy. I can start having a real impact mid-late game, but the current meta of steamrolling means I can't do jack poo poo without suicidal attempts to support DDs with radar, which is tough because 9km radar is very sketchy on a lot of maps compared to God's Chosen Class of soviet cruisers with radars that can comfortably stealth-radar an entire cap or radar from behind a rock. I can use rocks too, but only covering 1/2 the cap or being too far forward to escape.

Fake edit: as I speak, I just got out of a two brothers game where our DM and GK abandoned the flank I was supporting 1 minute in to go full retard up the middle with the expected results. Then our other DM ran into Smolensk torps and went "LOL, DIDN'T KNOW IT HAD TORPS" and our DD smoking up in front of 2 DMs at 8km, not spotting, and thus letting me get flanked by a charging republique I could not escape.

Cool. Coolcoolcoolcoolcool.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Certain ships (Soviet Cruisers for one, and they are VERY popular right now) also have such insanely good shell physics that if you're in a floaty shell bote like the Wooster, you're at an insane disadvantage. They can just railgun you from 19km out while doing sick drifts, while your shells get there slower than with USPS super saver delivery.

The power creep is very real in WoWS.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I mean soviet cruisers need something to make up for their nothing armor and lovely torps. I played through that whole line to get a Moskva and it was not at all my favorite time in WoWS.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Blindeye posted:

Engagement ranges are too loving long for the gun range/shells to be much use in the first 5 minutes of the game. I end up being the closest spotted ship if it's an open map, so I have to play very cautiously for 5 minutes.
It's pretty annoying playing a short range ship in CV matches where everyone is 19 km away driving toward the map border, but that's about it. As long as people are pushing in a bit it shouldn't be hard to get in range.

Blindeye posted:

In the first 5 minutes, our team will lost 3-6 ships before killing one of the enemy. I can start having a real impact mid-late game, but the current meta of steamrolling means I can't do jack poo poo without suicidal attempts to support DDs with radar, which is tough because 9km radar is very sketchy on a lot of maps compared to God's Chosen Class of soviet cruisers with radars that can comfortably stealth-radar an entire cap or radar from behind a rock. I can use rocks too, but only covering 1/2 the cap or being too far forward to escape.

Worcester radar is mostly to prevent anyone from following you around and keeping you spotted, and 9 km is enough for that since it's close to your detection range. The whole radar ship behind an island thing isn't really useful in random games, because the island blocks you from shooting the ship that you radared so you have to rely on pubbies to kill it. Cap denial is also less important in random games than in ranked (small teams mean it's harder to make up for the cap tick points by killing ships) or clan battles (where you can organize a strategy around cap denial).

I'm also not sure why you complain about "God's Chosen Class of soviet cruisers", none of the Soviet cruisers are any more overpowered than the Worcester.

Der Shovel posted:

Certain ships (Soviet Cruisers for one, and they are VERY popular right now) also have such insanely good shell physics that if you're in a floaty shell bote like the Wooster, you're at an insane disadvantage. They can just railgun you from 19km out while doing sick drifts, while your shells get there slower than with USPS super saver delivery.

The power creep is very real in WoWS.

They can't really shoot you from 19 km though, because you have 10 km concealment so you aren't spotted at 19 km. A Worcester shits on Soviet cruisers at 10 km.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

James Garfield posted:

It's pretty annoying playing a short range ship in CV matches where everyone is 19 km away driving toward the map border, but that's about it. As long as people are pushing in a bit it shouldn't be hard to get in range.

Worcester radar is mostly to prevent anyone from following you around and keeping you spotted, and 9 km is enough for that since it's close to your detection range. The whole radar ship behind an island thing isn't really useful in random games, because the island blocks you from shooting the ship that you radared so you have to rely on pubbies to kill it. Cap denial is also less important in random games than in ranked (small teams mean it's harder to make up for the cap tick points by killing ships) or clan battles (where you can organize a strategy around cap denial).

I'm also not sure why you complain about "God's Chosen Class of soviet cruisers", none of the Soviet cruisers are any more overpowered than the Worcester.

They can't really shoot you from 19 km though, because you have 10 km concealment so you aren't spotted at 19 km. A Worcester shits on Soviet cruisers at 10 km.

Having been playing the Bagration/Talinn and facing them, I will absolutely take a fight in those: the Wooster has low DPM nose in and the improved pen angles poo poo all over a Wooster bringing his guns to bear. I would say the Wooster is not overpowered. Last night I got 240k damage in my Zao which, while not great, has excellent ability to work in the long range meta even if it is in a braindead way.

I kind of agree with how to use the radar, the issue is Soviet and USN heavy cruiser radar is denying caps/nuking my team's DDs and I can't do the same. Of course, the other thing to keep in mind is every game I saw a CV and my team never left spawn, so 4 minutes in the first 4 games we lost 2-3 ships and lots 2-3 caps.

Basically any ships with early game potential or incredible shell range/velocity seem to suit the meta most, at least in my experience.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Having been playing the Bagration/Talinn and facing them, I will absolutely take a fight in those: the Wooster has low DPM nose in and the improved pen angles poo poo all over a Wooster bringing his guns to bear. I would say the Wooster is not overpowered. Last night I got 240k damage in my Zao which, while not great, has excellent ability to work in the long range meta even if it is in a braindead way.

If someone dies to a tier 8 cruiser in a Worcester without starting at like 10k hp that isn't a reflection of the matchup, same as killing an afk Yamato in a pef doesn't mean the pef is better than the Yamato. That matchup isn't even close unless the Worcester player deliberately throws it, Petropavlovsk vs Worcester at 10 km might be closer due to the 50 mm armor but the Worcester can still just kite you.

Des Moines specifically counters US light cruisers because it reloads quickly enough that you can't safely fire all your guns at it between its shots, and a Des Moines wins an HE damage race against a bow in Worcester. The Russian cruisers will take significantly more damage because a Worcester can use all its guns during the reload. Tallinn and Pyotr Bagration lose the trade even if they fire all their guns and the Worcester is bow in firing two turrets.

Blindeye posted:

Basically any ships with early game potential or incredible shell range/velocity seem to suit the meta most, at least in my experience.

US cruisers do have great early game potential, since the huge damage output lets you secure early kills and the radar is very useful for removing suiciding DDs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Game says my last battle was in 2017.

Uh, anything much change since then?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

lol

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

The world has ended at least 4 or 5 times by now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I played a few games and it feels just like I remember: two teams ponderously sniping at each other from maximum range while complaining about sky cancer.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I played a few games and it feels just like I remember: two teams ponderously sniping at each other from maximum range while complaining about sky cancer.

Nah: the ranges have increased ;)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
People are playing at long range against some shitter in a carrier who invalidates any attempt to get close by existing? That's illegal!

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I kinda assumed the carrier rework would have fixed that. A few years off made me forget what kind of company Wargaming is.