Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
5600M should make it to the iMacs soon imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chris Knight posted:

5600M should make it to the iMacs soon imho.

maybe as a high end option for the 21". let the 5k get something bigger and better

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The last time I tried to have stuff fixed at Best Buy under warranty they said they would have to send it out to Apple, but maybe that's changed?

Yeah, Best Buys are Apple Authorized Service Providers which means they can assist you with warranty and AppleCare services with your device. However, the only devices they can service in the store are iPhones. iPads, Apple Watch, AirPods, Macs, etc all have to be sent out for any repairs or upgrades. The pricing is the same, however, and that's typically how Apple Stores do it too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is the base MacBook Air fine as is or does it need the i5 and/or 16GB RAM upgrades? This is to replace an original 11" MBA, basically for web browsing, some light office work, and maybe some not intense gaming (Sim City, Civilization, etc).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Is the base MacBook Air fine as is or does it need the i5 and/or 16GB RAM upgrades? This is to replace an original 11" MBA, basically for web browsing, some light office work, and maybe some not intense gaming (Sim City, Civilization, etc).

Quad core, get the 16gb if you can

Do you have access to a working .edu email account? That’ll save you $100-200 on the education store.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Really? Sheesh. No .edu. Does it just make more sense to get a MacBook Pro at that point? Quad core + 16GB is 1500, same as MBP Quad+16BG. 256GB instead of 512GB but that doesn't matter. CPU on the MBP appears to be older, though, not sure how much of a difference it makes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think they ask for a .edu account anymore. It’s all honor system now I believe

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
As opposed to Spotify who are complete jerks about their student discount.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hatty posted:

I don’t think they ask for a .edu account anymore. It’s all honor system now I believe

Yeah they won't really care unless you try to buy like 20 macbooks at a time using the discount

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think that if you don't have an .edu account, then you don't get the discounted student rate for Apple Music subscriptions, which is $4.99 a month.

Apple clears these by going through UNIDAYS which is a student discount website.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

I think that if you don't have an .edu account, then you don't get the discounted student rate for Apple Music subscriptions, which is $4.99 a month.

Apple clears these by going through UNIDAYS which is a student discount website.

You can still go without unidays(which is worse than spotify for identifying a edu entitiy outside the us) if you start a chat with a sales rep and provide a valid education email.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

Really? Sheesh. No .edu. Does it just make more sense to get a MacBook Pro at that point? Quad core + 16GB is 1500, same as MBP Quad+16BG. 256GB instead of 512GB but that doesn't matter. CPU on the MBP appears to be older, though, not sure how much of a difference it makes.
For the MBA you can get quad/16GB/256GB for $1300, the trick is to select the dual core one and upgrade from there to save on the storage. But yeah it's close enough to the MBP that you kinda have to consider that too. The price points are like that for a reason :v:

MBP will run cooler and faster for sustained loads, I think the MBA can technically burst faster but the thermals eventually limit the performance. The MBA is rated for longer battery but not sure the difference would be noticeable in reality with how variable that is.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Holy poo poo that 5600M is really making me consider going for a raced out 16” whenever I go for that doctorate. Sure it’s $3800, it’s a do everything computer. Lol at 130 FPS in Windows, and even 70+ FPS at native res

So much for smaller. I guess I’ll also have to start saving for an iPad Pro and maybe in two years I’ll be ready

You'll have a do-everything computer for 3 years, and then the GPU will be outdated. I'd rather spend that $700 on 32GB RAM and a console.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

You'll have a do-everything computer for 3 years, and then the GPU will be outdated. I'd rather spend that $700 on 32GB RAM and a console.

Fair point. But even outdated, it’d probably still handle most poo poo I’d want to do at 3 years, and still benefit from having more powerful graphics. There’ve been some pretty good analyses on the relative “gracefulness” of different recent GPUs aging, which point to a general increase in relevancy and longevity.

Sure there are moments of furious development and competition (it looks like we’re entering/have just entered one), but IDK that it’s fair to call a contemporary flagship-tier GPU “outdated” after three years. If anything, the last couple of years have shown both AMD and NVidia GPUs getting better and more optimized after a year or two, and holding on with a fairly long tail after that.

And, again, I mentioned this in a separate post but I’m not looking at the raced-out MacBook Pro of 2020, I’m looking at the $2000-2500 MacBook Pro of 2021/2022/2023 that has similar or better capability. Just like the $3000-$4000 2012 rMBP became the $2100-$2900 2013 model. The 5600M is a sign of AMD GPUs to come, and it’s not far-fetched to expect similar performance out of a base-model in a year or two.

I’m excited about the prospect of not having to heavily compromise on poo poo like graphics when picking a MacBook over a Windows PC. It’s nice that AMD is punching at a weight competitive with NVidia and that Apple is actually buying those cards. It wasn’t that long ago that Apple’s GPU game for Macs was seriously piss poor, with the extra insult that they were sourcing from both AMD and NVidia at that time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe as a high end option for the 21". let the 5k get something bigger and better
Ah yes the 21" iMac, well known for getting high end GPU parts :xd:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Ah yes the 21" iMac, well known for getting high end GPU parts :xd:

The current 21” can be specced with multiple flavors of 6 core CPU and up to a Pro Vega 20 dGPU and can be brought to 27” iMac/MBP prices with said upgrades. It’s the first time that Apple’s brought such upgrade pathways to the smaller iMac. It used to just ship with a dual core and integrated graphics but that is no longer the case.

Why the gently caress would Apple replace an rx580 desktop class GPU with an admittedly high-performance notebook variant, when something bigger/hotter, more powerful, and cheaper could fit in the existing spot? Putting notebook GPUs into 27” iMacs is one of the key things people hated about the iMac beforehand. Gimme whatever the successor to the Vega 48 is instead. Just spitballing based on AMD’s product stack and the updates to the Mac Pro, I could see a full-fat RX5700 go into the 27” iMac.

The 5600M is a 50 Watt notebook GPU, making it an excellent fit for the spot currently occupied by the Vega 20.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 22, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Apple only updates their computers once every 5 years so speccing the 5600 is a good idea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apropos of nothing I've always been amused by the stubbornness of an industry-leading company who has their own terminology and absolutely refuses to bow to the insistence of the real world not to adopt it. Like McDonald's with "hotcakes" and "french fry" as a collective noun, and doggedly insisting on "sandwich" for a burger.

Here we are in 2020 and Apple shows no sign of letting go of "logic board" or "notebook"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last minute leak tweets:

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1274927653825347586

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1274915484274548736

Big Sur sounds like a total antonym because of the chaos it will bring.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/waterfield-designs-saddle-turns-the-mac-pro-into-a-workhorse

Yeah, just what the Mac Pro needed, something to make it uglier. Even better, it costs less than a set of wheels ($400)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WHO IS THIS FOR

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
When you want to feel connected to the craftsmen of old.....you buy your Mac Pro its very own blacksmith’s apron

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

They waved the requirements during COVID since many people people are studying from (like kids) who may not have an EDU.

If you have a Costco membership they have the MacBook Air i5/8gb/256gb on sale for $949 starting the 24th. Costco also gets you 2 years warranty, 4 if you pay with their credit card.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

They waved the requirements during COVID since many people people are studying from (like kids) who may not have an EDU.

If you have a Costco membership they have the MacBook Air i5/8gb/256gb on sale for $949 starting the 24th. Costco also gets you 2 years warranty, 4 if you pay with their credit card.

Hot drat. Assuming you don’t need more than 8/256 that’s a heck of a sweet spot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2020 Airs for $150 off MSRP in the Apple Refurb Store

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hatty posted:

Yeah, it's this. They make you check a box saying you swear you're eligible for the education discount or whatever.

Check the government prices, too, those can be slightly better than the educational prices, unless you want the free Airpods. I think the MBP I ordered was $20 cheaper on the government store than the education store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I guess nobody wants to start a WWDC 20 thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Event Stream is up!

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/event-stream/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Looks like a Cook emoji will host the WWDC keynote:

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1275047887425220608

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/waterfield-designs-saddle-turns-the-mac-pro-into-a-workhorse

Yeah, just what the Mac Pro needed, something to make it uglier. Even better, it costs less than a set of wheels ($400)

I'm only buying a Mac Pro saddle if it includes the wheels so I can ride the thing

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
ITS HAPPENING.GIF

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So if you buy a x86 Mac today are they going to be like "lol that's abandoned" in 3 years?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Glad they fixed the keyboard released at least one more generation of good laptops before the risky big change.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

So if you buy a x86 Mac today are they going to be like "lol that's abandoned" in 3 years?

nope. and if you're a dev, you're probably going to want to stick to x86 for at least 3 generations while ARM stuff becomes more available.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Holy crap, they’re really gonna do the whole Mac stack in two years, and first one ships before 2021. Calling it now- that’s the 14” MBP that we didn’t get in Spring.

So uhh...how much is the ARM Mac Pro gonna cost/perform relative to the current Intel one?

I wasn’t able to really see all of the Linux virtualization stuff...is this like Apple’s response to WSL or just them showing devs that virtualization didn’t break on the new hardware/software?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I wonder how much they're charging for that developer transition kit?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frogbs posted:

Probably whatever they’ll charge when it shows up fundamentally unchanged as the new Mac Mini come November.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Looks like it's $500, and you have to return it to Apple:

"The DTK, which must be returned to Apple at the end of the program, consists of a Mac mini with Apple’s A12Z Bionic SoC inside and desktop specs, including 16GB of memory, a 512GB SSD, and a variety of Mac I/O ports."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Matt Zerella posted:

nope. and if you're a dev, you're probably going to want to stick to x86 for at least 3 generations while ARM stuff becomes more available.

Yeah I imagine the ARM Macs will initially be great as basic web/email/streaming machines, but I'd bet it'll be years before most professional/creative/content creation software has been ported to run on ARM natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wasn’t able to really see all of the Linux virtualization stuff...is this like Apple’s response to WSL or just them showing devs that virtualization didn’t break on the new hardware/software?

Beats me, all they showed was a quick screen capture..