Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274192191171198985

The incompetence never ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i don't even know where to begin

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I can't wait for a nice, straight forward video essay [series] breaking down just how awful this whole train wreck actually is.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274531112350625792?s=20

:perfect:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
100% truth: I was randomly thinking of/remembering this thread today and wondering when the next part of the shitshow would fall

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Agent Escalus posted:

100% truth: I was randomly thinking of/remembering this thread today and wondering when the next part of the shitshow would fall

Same. I just realized yesterday that it’d been a while since we last heard anything from him.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

dunford still has the funi brief to tear apart later today, but here's the 4 threads so far:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274364223582343169
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274394820509937667
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274436785670705161
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274482267751100421

the last thread is full of gold

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 21, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I draft a lot of briefs for all levels of courts at both the state and federal level.

Microsoft word will automatically make your tables of contents and authorities. TOC only requires that you use the heading features built into word. I made a default template that already has the heading and subheading formats I need, for example, so that inserting the TOC is a matter of just a few clicks along with maybe some minor editing for format.

The ToA is similar, but takes a small bit of extra work. When you paste a citation for the first time, just highlight the citation and click "mark citation." It will allow you to designate categories such as cases and statutes. Now any time you cite that same case again, you highlight your cite, click mark citation, and then scroll through the list of citations to select the previously used one.

After that, you literally just click "insert table of authorities" and you're done.

Vic's lawyers did all this poo poo by hand, and as a result, hosed it up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm guessing you can't get disbarred for being bad at being a lawyer if you don't do anything criminal but how many filings can you screw up before the courts lose their poo poo on you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pentyne posted:

I'm guessing you can't get disbarred for being bad at being a lawyer if you don't do anything criminal but how many filings can you screw up before the courts lose their poo poo on you?

He could absolutely be referred for discipline that would probably involve taking a shitton of CLE courses to correct the obvious gaps in his knowledge. I don't practice TX law and have no idea what their discipline system is like.

Maybe they're throwing it so Vic can claim ineffective assistance of counsel.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I doubt it I don't think they give a rat's rear end about Vic. I actually sort of wonder how much agency Vic has in the appeal, cause he has the potential to lose his shirt.

Hanging their cap on the whole public figure thing seems suss anyway. You either make money from appearances and have lost that or you're not a public figure, not both.

But whatever, I don't think there's a coherent legal strategy here.

EDIT: Anyone know when the court needs to decide if they'll hear arguments in the appeal? I assume we're still months out from that.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Maybe they're throwing it so Vic can claim ineffective assistance of counsel.

Is that even a thing in civil cases? My impression is that a client’s only recourse to poor civil representation is to sue their lawyer for malpractice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fray posted:

Is that even a thing in civil cases? My impression is that a client’s only recourse to poor civil representation is to sue their lawyer for malpractice.

I dunno if it is or isn't in TX. I'm just saying dumb poo poo that I thought was funny.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It only applies in criminal cases.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This speaks to me

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274485159069351937?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I dont even know where we're at anymore

is he using the same chud lawyer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alan Smithee posted:

I dont even know where we're at anymore

is he using the same chud lawyer

Yup. And golly he is bad at this.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Dunford did more of the new stuff today

Spoilers: It is grossly incompetent and is driving Dunford to drink.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274830157384167425

Edit: The best part is Beard's assertion that because Vic denied everything on twitter, that alone should defeat TCPA

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 22, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Is there a legal reason that there are 4 responses to 3 briefs?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 22, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They learned how to lawyer from TV and movies.

Like seriously they are acting like it's Phoenix Wright.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Even Phoenix Wright knows you need evidence

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hub Cat posted:

Is there a legal reason that there are 4 responses to 3 briefs?

One for each defendant and one for the cross-appeal of the fee award

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Exercu posted:

One for each defendant and one for the cross-appeal of the fee award

Serious nonsarcastic question, is it normal to break that sort of thing out into a separate reply when it's replying to a 6 page section of the Rial Toye brief? Dunford seems to be saying that this is unusual.

Edit: I'm really not sure why I'm asking when even if this is incompetence it probably doesn't even reach top 10 for just these filings alone.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 22, 2020

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hub Cat posted:

Serious nonsarcastic question, is it normal to break that sort of thing out into a separate reply when it's replying to a 6 page section of the Rial Toye brief? Dunford seems to be saying that this is unusual.

Edit: I'm really not sure why I'm asking when even if this is incompetence it probably doesn't even reach top 10 for just these filings alone.

Oh, it's absolutely not normal, but I can at least kind of see the logic in keeping different claims apart. That said they've spent about 35k words of the 27k they had, so that'll be fun.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Still thinking about that pic of them smoking see-gars

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Still thinking about that pic of them smoking see-gars

It would have been less obnoxious if they'd been posing with "seegars".

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
At this point Team Vic’s only hope is that they are in an appellate court that prefers to decide on the merits despite obvious briefing procedural gently caress ups.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wasabi the J posted:

Without even the level of understanding of getting that Phoenix Wright is satire of the Japanese legal system, not the American one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey, no stop that! Don't you dare pin this on Nick! :colbert:

But for real, like how did Beard decide to take a case in an area he has no expertise in (I think he's a real estate lawyer, which seems as far removed from difficulties as you can get from entertainment) would go swimmingly if he just... shat himself every step of the way?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wark Say posted:

But for real, like how did Beard decide to take a case in an area he has no expertise in (I think he's a real estate lawyer, which seems as far removed from difficulties as you can get from entertainment) would go swimmingly if he just... shat himself every step of the way?

I mean, last I checked he's still getting paid an absurd amount of money for it?

Sounds like it's going swimmingly for him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But is the payday gonna be worth it in the end? From everything I've seen, they can actually sanction Beard and co. for wasting people's times doing this quarter-assed job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's more about the win itself rather than getting any money out of it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

of course the funi doc they filled was the wrong one now there's 2 versions. latest includes the Certificate of Compliance and Certificate of Service so that's 3/4 of the documents with them now iirc

just starting to get into mike's teardown of the original version

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

Wark Say posted:

The theory I believe is that they thought they could intimidate the defendants into settling and where complete unprepared for them to actually fight back

Edit. poo poo I got plaintiff and defendant mixed up

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 22, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Vic is the plaintiff.

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018
I know. I mean vics lawyers thought they could scare the defendants into a settling

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 22, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

No Vic sued them. To be clear Rial & Co. are the defendants.

Though I agree in general, Vic wanted to quash their public discourse about his abuses. Though I suspect that another thing they wanted was to force a discovery where Discord would reveal a bunch of logs and they could go after random people who said poo poo like "Geez I wish Vic would die" or w/e. Beard & Co. are real focused on getting to discovery.'

So what happens because they've overran their allotted word count? I assume the court doesn't just give them a do-over?

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018
I made a stupid mixup. I meant the defendants not the plaintiffs. As for the word count issue

https://mobile.twitter.com/questauthority/status/1275069545292562432

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 22, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, it still works if you think that their own incompetence is their biggest hindrance to this suit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Wark Say posted:

But is the payday gonna be worth it in the end? From everything I've seen, they can actually sanction Beard and co. for wasting people's times doing this quarter-assed job.
From what I've heard, the only person who can actually force sanctions is Vic suing Beard for malpractice, and he's either a dumbass, doesn't care, or has been convinced by his friends that Beard is actually doing a competent job.