Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
big drawbridge to the side of your fort entrance to gently lower on them and delete them from existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nessus posted:

So how the gently caress do you deal with zombie clusters anyway? I thought, hell, I got two squads in steel armor and weapons with only the occasional piece of bronze, I can take a cluster of 40 zombies! I was completely wrong! What is it, complex trap dry-gulching? Lava?

You can absolutely demolish zombies with a squad, but you will need either a bunch of axes or all steel weapons.

The dwarves basically need to be constantly severing limbs/heads off through armor which is hard if they keep bonking off armor.

But yeah a properly skilled and armored squad will absolutely blender zombies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nessus posted:

So how the gently caress do you deal with zombie clusters anyway? I thought, hell, I got two squads in steel armor and weapons with only the occasional piece of bronze, I can take a cluster of 40 zombies! I was completely wrong! What is it, complex trap dry-gulching? Lava?

I, uh, I generate a custom world and set Secrets to 0.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I, uh, I generate a custom world and set Secrets to 0.
I already set werebeasts to 0 and volcanos to minimum 100. I have to leave myself some spice. Good to know axes were the best, I had gone with spears primarily, I think because of dual purposing them for traps... it seems there isn't a best all around weapon, unless it is in fact the axe.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Spears are good against the living, but do gently caress all against the undead.

You generally want cutting weapons against undead and lightly armoured enemies, penetrating weapons against more armoured targets, and blunt if you are confident you can just crush the enemy.

Blunt doesn't look too good until you get well-trained hammerdwarves who just pulp heads all day every day. Silver war hammers can be absolutely brutal, but also useless against undead.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

do silver war hammers not pulp good?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flavahbeast posted:

Reading the wiki it seems that hammers work good by clocking a guy and then you can pop his dome when he's down. The undead do not get stunned

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IIRC hammers used to be good against undead bits. Like when an army of fingers and hair or whatever keeps coming as you chop it into smaller and smaller fragments. At that point they couldn't hurt anyone, but would still scare off civilians. So you could pulp 'em with hammers to make them stop re-animating.

But I think they fixed that or maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i miss the old materials system where a heavy enough hammer with a skilled enough user would literally send goblins flying across the map

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flavahbeast posted:

High Density (silver) or high impact/yields (steel) are good.

When in doubt, you'll never have a problem with steel weapons.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon#Combat_testing

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 22, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i miss the old materials system where a heavy enough hammer with a skilled enough user would literally send goblins flying across the map

Hold on. Was the materials system changed in the past few years?

Iirc silver is the densest material you can craft regular weapons with, so silver war hammers are the best hammers. Many versions ago I had a artefact lead war hammer and my legendary hammerdwarf made a huge mess out of everything. Gibs spraying everywhere.

Btw., don't sleep of cage traps vs. zombies. Undead are amazing targets for training archery.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Hold on. Was the materials system changed in the past few years?

Iirc silver is the densest material you can craft regular weapons with, so silver war hammers are the best hammers. Many versions ago I had a artefact lead war hammer and my legendary hammerdwarf made a huge mess out of everything. Gibs spraying everywhere.

Btw., don't sleep of cage traps vs. zombies. Undead are amazing targets for training archery.

There was a really old change where weapons went from a strict tier-based system with arbitrary values for different metals to one where it was based on their actual physical properties, and I think a second less dramatic one some time later? I don't remember exactly when either happened, though.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I might just plain be wrong, but I don't think materials have changed much mechanically in quite a while, at least not in a way that heavily affects combat. Combat itself certainly has changed over time; as the body parts system got more refined and delineated that cut down on the number of grappling holds inflicted on individual eyelashes, wisdom teeth, and toenails, while various bugfixes concerning size mean that many creatures are mechanically closer in scale than they were early in development, which probably contributed greatly to the lethality of elephants. I think entities do tend to get launched less often in combat and on average fly for a shorter time than they used to, but this might extend in part from culling the many bugs that contributed to dwarves trending rapidly to Legendary+27 in their combat skills.

For my part, I never got around to testing weapons made out of certain unobtanium Fun materials when it was more feasible to do such things (and easier to manipulate mood results towards that end), but I do imagine a mace with several times the density of osmium could still achieve the 'launch a goblin so hard it leaves the map tile' result (about once every three hours, optimistically).

E: I think that's right on the very early material change, yes; it made silver suddenly rather desirable for hammers and not much else.

E2: Also I think stat growth was originally uncapped and grew proportionate to the buggy megaskills, which would have contributed a LOT to instances of 'this dwarf is strong enough to judo throw a goblin so hard they explode'

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 22, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It wasn't just the skill growth being uncapped that was once a problem. In the 40d days, stats grew based on any skill increase, so you could become very strong by being a legendary+20 gatherer. Starting with the 2010 release, every stat had a list of skills that would boost it, greatly curbing growth.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gnoman posted:

It wasn't just the skill growth being uncapped that was once a problem. In the 40d days, stats grew based on any skill increase, so you could become very strong by being a legendary+20 gatherer. Starting with the 2010 release, every stat had a list of skills that would boost it, greatly curbing growth.
This lead to things like people making pumps just... sitting in a room, not connected to any water on the input or output side, and ordering dwarves to operate them. Because Pump Operator was a skill, and operating a pump didn't consume any resources and could be done indefinitely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You can still do that, the benefits are just somewhat less. Still enough that you can notice the difference, though -- it trains strength and strong dwarves haul poo poo faster.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Summon bear? Bear appears, but is wrong

https://youtu.be/JM2-rIDk5po?t=35s

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can still do that, the benefits are just somewhat less. Still enough that you can notice the difference, though -- it trains strength and strong dwarves haul poo poo faster.

Precisely - it trains strength (which any sort of manually operated pump would do), not focus or any of the other stats.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Do friendly necromancers still cause all sorts of issues? I just had a legendary weaponsmith necromancer show up in a migrant wave but I'd like to keep him if I could...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Precisely - it trains strength (which any sort of manually operated pump would do), not focus or any of the other stats.

It makes sense too; you've basically set up a gym with rowing machines.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gnoman posted:

My favorite thing about this is that bookkeeping improved your core stats. You could set your bookkeeping to maximum precision and you account would spend every spare minute sitting in his office doing accounting work. Then after a year he'd emerge able to outrun a cheetah and suplex an elephant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, do you have any idea how heavy those ledgers are?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Do bookkeepers still have ESP and do your books for the future as well?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Sankis posted:

Do friendly necromancers still cause all sorts of issues? I just had a legendary weaponsmith necromancer show up in a migrant wave but I'd like to keep him if I could...

yes. ask me about a necromancer noble responding to a crundle attack by reviving the corpse of a megabeast in the middle of a busy fishing platform

just keep them away from trouble

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What kind of stats does the game need these days for like 100 dwarves and 300 animals to run smoothly? Is the game GPU accelerated?

I think catsplosion and animal performence has killed more of my forts than all other reasons combined. The wiki only seems to list minimum specs and a few user reports from like a decade ago. Yeah I could just have <50 dwarves and animals, but that's not the big dumb mountainhome I usually end up wanting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dwarf Fortress basically still runs on a single core and GPU doesn't matter at all, so what you want is a CPU with the most powerful individual cores you can get. There is no CPU in the world powerful enough to run a 400-entity fortress at anything approaching a smooth framerate.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I put my next computer together. No joke, it's DF.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would recommend reading up on older CPU models that deal well with overclocking in that case, instead of going right for the newest octa-core available or whatever will be on the market by that time. Certain types of CPUs have an unusually high tolerance for increasing their clock speed. I can kick my old 2500k up to 4.2 GHz per core without losing stability when it usually runs on just 3.3 GHz, and a 25% in performance is really nothing to sneeze at. Not every CPU can handle that, though, for reasons that range from being unable to handle the increased voltage without becoming unstable to trying their best to melt from the increased heat production, so doing your research first is key for that kind of thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gnoman posted:

Hell yes I remember sending out my bookkeeper to bust up raids because he spent all day grinding administration skills and gaining Hulk-like strength as a result :allears:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Sometimes I think about booting up 40d again, just because it was so much simpler and the things that were broken were relatively trivial and/or fun. The new stuff is so good tho. I just hope the steam edition is a solid package that smooths out the current biggest issues and not just a fancy graphics pack.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gnoman posted:

Buff bookkeeppers were good, and their loss is felt.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yes. ask me about a necromancer noble responding to a crundle attack by reviving the corpse of a megabeast in the middle of a busy fishing platform

just keep them away from trouble

since he's immortal can I hide him away in my catacombs with a table and desk to do book keeping or does he still need to eat and drink.

maybe I can drop food and drink down a hole to feed him

He's been elected Mayor so he got pretty busy making friends as soon as he arrived.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Put him in the military leading a suicide squad of cheesemakers.

When attacked burrow everyone else and send them out to engage in the field, should slow the enemy down nicely.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Sankis posted:

since he's immortal can I hide him away in my catacombs with a table and desk to do book keeping or does he still need to eat and drink.

maybe I can drop food and drink down a hole to feed him

He's been elected Mayor so he got pretty busy making friends as soon as he arrived.

You certainly can seal any immortal citizen in their own quarantine zone and still have them provide useful functions to the fortress, but doing cool stuff like having dedicated pipelines to funnel them materials (and for them to dump back finished products, say) is a project you'll only be doing for the coolness of it all, it's not actually very functional or practical. For bookkeeping, especially, just about any bookkeeper is going to have your fortress whipped into full inventory-taking shape in a few months regardless. The easier, less-cool way of isolating immortal denizens is just to assign them to mining, have them start a hole off in the corner of some unused level, and then lock a door behind them. They can then proceed to entertain themselves digging out a new home and stocking it with masterwork furniture and engravings of their own design.

All of this also requires that they have a personality that can deal with isolation. If they're already enough of a gabber that they got themselves elected mayor, this might not end up being the case, in which case you get to look forward to them going crazy after they destroy all their own masterwork furniture in a fit of pique.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Why would I ever do anything thats not cool? All I want to do in dwarf fortress is make elaborate plans to solve otherwise simple issues!

Thanks for the info. Despite playing for years this is actually the first time I've seen a necromancer let alone got one in a wave.

I'll probably just keep them around so they can end my fort at some indeterminate point in the future

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Oh, right, and apparently with the new procedurally-generated necromancer experiment undead types, it's possible for necromancers to bring citizens back as special undead that can be intelligent enough to resume being citizens of your fort, provided those exist in your world. There's a whole Kruggsmash series that's been periodically playing around with that, and which I think has at least two undead citizens now.

It requires using hostile mobs to coerce necromancers to do their thing and then hoping that they happen to roll the right kind of undead, and it may be dependent on the state of the corpse, so you pretty much have to build a special ritual chamber if you want to attempt this, with like, some hostile cave critter behind fortifications hidden by lever-linked doors or bridges or floodgates or something, and ideally a special space for the corpse as well lest the necromancer or assistance be mauled if they come back wrong.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 23, 2020

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
So long as you keep them away from corpses you're fine.

Just set up a burrow for them around an appropriate workshop, a few stockpiles, their bedroom, and a dining area. Maybe some other amenities if they require them. Make sure it isn't in a place that gets dead things. After that, you just leave them to it and they'll be fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Raise Intelligent Undead is a basic skill that every necromancer gets in addition to the standard Raise Dead now. It's actually not the same thing as necromancer experiments, those are basically treated as a species of their own during worldgen. Intelligent undead are pretty much just a template like regular zombies that applies most of the other effects of undeath without changing loyalties or making the creature mindless.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, Raise Intelligent Undead is a basic skill that every necromancer gets in addition to the standard Raise Dead now. It's actually not the same thing as necromancer experiments, those are basically treated as a species of their own during worldgen. Intelligent undead are pretty much just a template like regular zombies that applies most of the other effects of undeath without changing loyalties or making the creature mindless.

oh my

how long until we can reliably have all-undead forts with no food/drink production required

and party all day every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If there was any kind of way to actually force necromancer to use that specific ability on corpses, you could pretty much do that right now. You can already get world-genned intelligent undead raised with that ability as travellers who can join your fort on a permanent basis.