Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
BFME2 rules and it's criminal that you can't still buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of some good play by email strategy games? I've been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends, but we've been wanting to try something different. I've been eyeing the Dominions series, but I don't think they'll be down, not sure what else is really out there.

Is Laser Squad Nemesis still a thing? Was it ever a thing? I vaguely recall registration and subscriptions, and then something about going free - and the original website is completely down as well.

While not actually play by email Blight of the Immortal and Neptune’s Pride spring to mind as a slow paced online multiplayer game, and they’re free to try and actually now on steam as well instead of abandonware like LSN
Developer’s page, Ironhelmet Games

If I recall, Neptune’s Pride is more prone to treachery, conquering the universe kind of thing. While Blight leans more towards competitive cooperation against the fantasy zombie hordes.

There may be another sci-fi card-based conquest game I just cannot recall at the moment.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

But how on earth can I play these fabulous mods?
Yeah, so here's the thing. Neither BFME game has been readily available for a very long time and with moviegame rights being what they are, it's unlikely that they'll be available on Origin or whatever anytime soon. The community has surreptitiously started hosting the games online and I'm sure if you google "BFME Revora" you can figure things out and I don't risk getting in trouble from tattletale goons. Additionally, said community has created its own multiplayer solution, a lot like CNCNet at https://t3aonline.net/ and oh look what's included on its download page.

Wow, thank you for this post. I love BFME2:ROTW to bits. I keep coming back to it, the gameplay is so darn addictive and epic. It captures the feel of the movies so incredibly well. I did not know there was a mod scene for this game, and seeing that they actually took the trouble of adding singleplayer content, I'm definately checking this out!

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 30, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Wow, thank you for this post. I love BFME2:ROTW to bits. I keep coming back to it, the gameplay is so darn addictive and epic. It captures the feel of the movies so incredibly well. I did not know there was a mod scene for this game, and seeing that they actually took the trouble of adding singleplayer content, I'm definately checking this out!

Yeah, there's something about the scale, where it's at the midway point (well, really the quater-way point) between a regular RTS and a Total War game that I dig. That and its ridiculously broken cavalry charges.

I should mention that that Age of the Ring mod just released a new version today which re-enables coop on its big siege maps. They're pretty impressive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, forgot to say but installing Edain takes a little finangling. It doesn't work with the unofficial patch and said patch is the easiest way to play BFME2 without a CD, so you'd have to make two folders, one with Edain on ROTWK 2.01 and another with the 2.02 fan patch then copy the game.dat from the latter to the former.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Unity of command is driving me crazy. The rules are simple but the AI is weirdly excellent. It ruthlessly exploits any weaknesses and will turtle relentlessly to thwart your offensives. Highly recommended. Don’t know what the sequels are like

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm having a lot of fun with Order of Battle and its DLC, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me similar dope experiences with two conditions
1.) I notice a lot of this type of game seems to be, unfortunately, Nazi Fantasy Simulators (looking at you Panzer Corps series, literally "choose the nazi officer portrait for you!!!"), so im hoping this is a game that at least ALSO lets me campaign as the uhh....non fascists.
2.) Graphically im hoping for whatever you call the Order of Battle standard
I can gently caress with games like this:

but not so much the games where you're ancient panzer general graphics or worse just like splotches/flags on a hex map. Unfortunately that has also steered me away from a lot of Paradox, though i do love ck2 and that one napoleonic wars game they made a couple years ago.

It doesnt necessarily have to be ww2 but im usually more down with historical stuff than warhammer or endless legend type fictional settings. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say, it is annoying playing historical campaigns that dont adjust to your success
Like, ill totally smash the imperial japanese so hard i could entirely compromise their positions but because that's not what ACTUALLY happened, the next scenario has me back at my starting position preparing for the "actual counteroffensive"

I get it, i shouldn't just be able to decimate the Finnish heroes of the Winter War but it's funny when I do and the next scenario is just like SINCE YOU FAILED SO HARD
If it's a problem, just add more units so i cant do it or provide as much customization here as you do for all the OH poo poo WHAT IF THE NAZIS ACTUALLY WON ______ scenarios.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unity of Command is a wargame classic and worth looking at, with the caveat that you have to play as either Soviets or Nazis. I'm not sure if Unity of Command 2 fixes this. At least UoC 1 is cheap on sale.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Unity of Command 2 lets you play as the Allies and has branching scenarios and looks really good.

Ratt
Nov 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LordSloth posted:

Is Laser Squad Nemesis still a thing? Was it ever a thing? I vaguely recall registration and subscriptions, and then something about going free - and the original website is completely down as well.

While not actually play by email Blight of the Immortal and Neptune’s Pride spring to mind as a slow paced online multiplayer game, and they’re free to try and actually now on steam as well instead of abandonware like LSN
Developer’s page, Ironhelmet Games

If I recall, Neptune’s Pride is more prone to treachery, conquering the universe kind of thing. While Blight leans more towards competitive cooperation against the fantasy zombie hordes.

There may be another sci-fi card-based conquest game I just cannot recall at the moment.

Ah yeah, sadly real time always ticking multiplayer just isn't something we can get into, the desire to constantly check progress of stuff creates an unpleasant stress, and at least one friend can't check for 10 hour chunks of the day.

habituallyred posted:

Solium Infernum!

That does look neat, personally I want to try it, and am trying to talk them into it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Unity of command multiplayer is basically play by email, actually. Is perfect for it. Low number of turns, tons of strategic choices.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

RPS did a good LP of solium infernum here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/13/gameboys-from-hell-solium-infernum-part-1/

Not really my type of game but I see why people enjoy it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tom Chick set out some of the limitations of SI in a review just a few weeks ago.

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/05/06/the-torturous-tragedy-of-solium-infernum/

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of some good play by email strategy games? I've been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends, but we've been wanting to try something different. I've been eyeing the Dominions series, but I don't think they'll be down, not sure what else is really out there.

Just two people - Twilight Struggle's excellent adaptation is on steam. Full games take about 2 hours (if played through), or you can do the late war start for faster games.

Up to four -- Galaxy Trucker is another board game adaptation on steam. It can be played asynchronous or live, both are a ton of fun. The initial building phase actually plays very different depending on if you are doing live or asynchronous, it's pretty cool.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Order of Battle and its DLC, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me similar dope experiences with two conditions
1.) I notice a lot of this type of game seems to be, unfortunately, Nazi Fantasy Simulators (looking at you Panzer Corps series, literally "choose the nazi officer portrait for you!!!"), so im hoping this is a game that at least ALSO lets me campaign as the uhh....non fascists.
2.) Graphically im hoping for whatever you call the Order of Battle standard
I can gently caress with games like this:

but not so much the games where you're ancient panzer general graphics or worse just like splotches/flags on a hex map. Unfortunately that has also steered me away from a lot of Paradox, though i do love ck2 and that one napoleonic wars game they made a couple years ago.

It doesnt necessarily have to be ww2 but im usually more down with historical stuff than warhammer or endless legend type fictional settings. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Battle Academy is turn based WW2 at the tactical level and I believe the campaigns in the base game are all Allied centric.

Panzer Corps 1 does have allied campaigns as DLC but I don’t know about 2.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Think I might be starting to groove on AoE2, playing as Magyars and think I can repel the usual archer/spear attack the AI leads with by using skirms and scouts along with a house wall. Still kinda shaky on the midgame but hey I beat the Berbers despite their speciality hard countering my speciality. I am getting a little too used to a very finicky build order for feudal rushes and always seem to end up with like 5-10 seconds of idle time since I do 3 sheep then boar but it doesn't quite work out usually

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I tried Zero-K on steam.

I wanted to like it, but it tries too hard to be a competitive mirco fest within a TA style framework and it really, REALLY fucks with the entire game's theme.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I'm no fan of Zero-K. The skirmish AI is also just miserable to fight against.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Yeah I'm no fan of Zero-K. The skirmish AI is also just miserable to fight against.

I am really enjoying Zero-K, but I also played TA in MP back in the day, so I guess I am the target audience?

Speaking of, the greatest RTS of all-time, Total Annihilation, is free to keep on gog.com for the next ~46 hours or so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ZearothK posted:

I am really enjoying Zero-K, but I also played TA in MP back in the day, so I guess I am the target audience?

Speaking of, the greatest RTS of all-time, Total Annihilation, is free to keep on gog.com for the next ~46 hours or so.

I jsut bought it :negative:

Tbf, it was only 3 bucks.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Quick heads-up from a lurker: https://www.gog.com has the Total Annihilation Commander Back (base + both expacs) for free for the next 36 hours or so.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have experience with the AoE2 editor? I'm messing around with a scenario but the AI is really not handling having a bunch of dispersed bases well, on top of a bunch of other weird problems

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have experience with the AoE2 editor? I'm messing around with a scenario but the AI is really not handling having a bunch of dispersed bases well, on top of a bunch of other weird problems

Isn't it normal to make different bases be different AI players? That's how the campaign missions work

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Iron Harvest aka Company of Heroes with mechs has a demo out now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, so does that indie Mythlike, Nordic Warriors.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are they good?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mordja posted:

Iron Harvest aka Company of Heroes with mechs has a demo out now.
Played a handful of games of this tonight and it just felt like Company of Heroes but worse.

There were some interface issues that I whined about here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IronHarvest/comments/hcbae7/interface_issues_in_the_demo/

Also some AI issues: had grenadiers completely ignore my order to throw a grenade (but they still stopped shooting?), and one time ordered flamethrowers to torch an occupied building, but then instead they ran over to the fence next to the building and just kept hurdling the fence back and forth until they died. It was like watching kids at a playground.

The design issues are probably the bigger problem though. The two factions in the demo seem to have near identical infantry squads, and it felt like a large portion of the game was just mashing the same dudes at each other as they very slowly died. The TTK in the game is really high, even shooting at like point blank range vs someone decapping your points, infantry vs infantry they'll be able to decap (which takes a while) before they die or have to retreat.

CoH had some issues but so far this game just feels like a kind of mushy clone. Maybe I'll feel differently if I play it more though.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'll echo that post. It feels like its just coming short on so many points and just lacking attention to detail generally. Very much a pass atm.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Are they good?

Nordic Warriors seems to be doing a far better job than the last attempt to make a new Myth game (Deadhold) and I was pretty impressed by it.

Another one worth looking at IMO is Regiments. It is essentially a (very indie) Wargame but by way of World in Conflict. You have Wargame style units but also have WiCs Tactical Assists, you add more units to your army by way of picking sets of "task force" units, and infantry carriers are organic to infantry so you don't have to gently caress around with reorganizing everything after taking some losses.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I can't find any real time tactics or desperados thread, so I'm gonna post about it in here. Desperados 3 rules, and I'm super happy that the genre seems to be making a comeback. Shadow Tactics was also great. The commandos 2 remaster seems to be a mixed bag, but I'll probably give it a play through for nostalgia. There's a mod for the original C2 called Destination Paris that has seriously about 100 new missions, of varying quality. Old 2D games don't play very nice with modern resolutions though, so I hope the remaster gets a modding scene. Anyone know of any other good RTT games?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

C.M. Kruger posted:

Another one worth looking at IMO is Regiments. It is essentially a (very indie) Wargame but by way of World in Conflict. You have Wargame style units but also have WiCs Tactical Assists, you add more units to your army by way of picking sets of "task force" units, and infantry carriers are organic to infantry so you don't have to gently caress around with reorganizing everything after taking some losses.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

Thanks for this, just tried the demo and it is VERY like Wargame (no bad thing).

I wish there were more war games that weren't "wargames", you know? I like semi realistic battles in historical settings but I hate the board game lineage of hexes and counters, they just feel like puzzle games to me.

Ultimate General: Civil War is probably my favourite strategy game in a long time because it's actually about manoeuvre and positioning in an open space and not just working out the most efficient order for units to spend their action points.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 22, 2020

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'd like to third the recommendation to try the Regiments demo.

Comparing with Wargame, I'd say that the main differences are a higher time to kill (everything feels about twice as strong), that units are groups, that procurement points trickle in equally, and that capture areas can change and shift around the map. I particularly think that capture areas shifting removes some of the defensive walls that could build up in Wargame.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd be so in for it if it was multiplayer. I'm still in for it, but i'm hoping to see a bit more.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I'd be so in for it if it was multiplayer. I'm still in for it, but i'm hoping to see a bit more.

On the Steam forums the dev has said he's not planning on doing MP until Regiments 2 because (paraphrasing) he wants to build a good base game first instead of putting that effort into something that fewer than 20% of players will try (most only once) and will be dead after a month.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

C.M. Kruger posted:

On the Steam forums the dev has said he's not planning on doing MP until Regiments 2 because (paraphrasing) he wants to build a good base game first instead of putting that effort into something that fewer than 20% of players will try (most only once) and will be dead after a month.

That's pretty respectable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

C.M. Kruger posted:

A wise fellow

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddamn, I really like this take on Mirkwood.

(AOTR, BFME2 mod)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

C.M. Kruger posted:

wargame's(and steel division 44/2) had decent MP communities and still do, but i can understand that- the creator made a mod for airland battle called 1984 which actually, i think influenced steel division's direction

That being said, i'm still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I liked the feel of Wargame/Steel Division but felt like there were too many units that were hard to easily differentiate (also I'm just not very good at RTS so smaller scale would be nice I guess). Is that basically the pitch for this?