Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe it was a petrel pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The Lifestream ghosts were consumed to power the reactor. Now their ghosts haunt the power line with their green glow.
Once the electricity has been used you have ghosts of ghosts of ghosts haunting your houses.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

VictualSquid posted:

The Lifestream ghosts were consumed to power the reactor. Now their ghosts haunt the power line with their green glow.
Once the electricity has been used you have ghosts of ghosts of ghosts haunting your houses.

The Lifestreamstream seems like an enormous source of untapped potential energy. And then the Lifestreamstreamstream after will be equally rich. We have not even begun to reach Peak Ghost.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Neo-Midgar was Smiley Junction all along?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Reclaimer posted:

The Lifestreamstream seems like an enormous source of untapped potential energy. And then the Lifestreamstreamstream after will be equally rich. We have not even begun to reach Peak Ghost.

It's ghosts all the way down.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It converts the Lifestream to Mist, and then uses that as fuel for the turbines. A Mako reactor is a concrete Iifa Tree that wasn't built by aliens.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its like in Doom Eternal where you find where the place in Hell they mulch souls into magic electricity to power Heaven.

Then you blow it up.

Barrett would be proud.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi folks. Let's deal with the elephant in the room.

Depending on what happens, I got the past updates backed up and will move to my Patreon or a website. If I move to Patreon, whatever I post re: my content and LP is and forever will be public/free of charge no matter how long it takes.

Additionally, earlier today I posted about current events in the FFXIV Discord, and decided to extend my thoughts: https://www.patreon.com/posts/38577808 - this is a public post anyone can read. As you all know I've been a victim of violence very recently. From my point of view all I ask is that you always keep the victims in mind and don't gloss over them. And if you have the means, consider helping those in need in a local shelter.

Thank you as always.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wouldn't blame you if you wanted to leave. Just know that you've got a pretty loyal band of followers who will support you in whatever you decide

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Happy Landfill posted:

Wouldn't blame you if you wanted to leave. Just know that you've got a pretty loyal band of followers who will support you in whatever you decide

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would really like Something Awful to continue, free from the dead weight of Lowtax hanging around our neck as he has been for some time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirSamVimes posted:

I would really like Something Awful to continue, free from the dead weight of Lowtax hanging around our neck as he has been for some time.

Same. It's why I don't feel right to do a exodus until we learn if the Mod and Admins can solve the problem.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Same. It's why I don't feel right to do a exodus until we learn if the Mod and Admins can solve the problem.

hooray?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 8 - Aftermath

Previous Bonus Next

Jessie stops you to talk for a bit.

She gives you a Healing Materia, which is nice.

And then you get an early access to the Materia tutorial. This is not the place for it the world is ending aaaaaa

In the original the Materia tutorial happened in 7th Heaven. Barret asked you to explain to him how Materia worked which... yeah it felt strange.

But for real, this part is straight outside the demo area, and it immediately wowed me. Immediately following the reactor explosion you get this place with dozens of NPCs with unique individual dialogue reacting to the explosion.

The Shinra Theme plays here, and adds to the eerie aspect.

This is one of the cases where I feel like "skip the subtext and show you the actual result" works. I mean, I enjoyed on my nth run of FF7 looking at the small hints of how much you hosed things up - to me it worked just right.

But this scene is really powerful. Something about the voice acting (at least in JP) is just spot on. I wonder how many people skipped it - I couldn't help but stop and try to listen to every NPC reaction.

If you revisit them, they'll have different dialogue. It helps that they don't go on a loop repeating things.

I like the range of reactions, even the cliché ones. Like "There's a reason" I immediately thought "nope" and yeah, it was nice to see the follow-up.

It is immersive in a haunting way.

I wonder if this segment caught your folks' attention as much as it did mine. Just the attention to detail and atmosphere.

Like, as soon as you climb up, an explosion happens downstairs and a bunch of firemen go help them. I thought that the stairs would then be blocked, but no - you can go back and check on the wounded people.

So in scenes like this, it's very clear how the philosophy of "we can't just copy the original scene by scene" applies. I mean, technically we could, and I like the original's pacing, and also all of this is skippable so if you want to speedrun you don't have to stop here like I did.

But there's a distinct change between going plot point by point and a tight narrative structure straight into meeting Aerith, and then this:

Aeris is fine in the original because she's also a placeholder for someone confused by the explosion, but it always struck me as slightly uncanny. Like Cloud's still in character, and Aeris is relatively cool and colected. These people here are panicking.

As you move onward the bridge collapses and you're finally blocked from going back. There are a few more NPCs, a scared couple. I mean, this was pretty intense.

It also adds some intensity that Cloud, who's been super cool so far, actually reacts in this place like he's not entirely in control, and we just got out of the fiery hellscape that was that Reactor. Early on there was a screenshot where Cloud is just trying to protect himself from a car on fire. He seems to get startled here.

So after all of this, all I could think was "yeah, that's fine, this is gold".

"I'm curious to what's coming next :)"

And if you're reading this, you know exactly what happens next, don't you?

Previous Bonus Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 16, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
As it happens I am downright excited to see your reaction to what happens next.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Caidin posted:

As it happens I am downright excited to see your reaction to what happens next.

Same

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 8 Bonus

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The impact of the reactor explosion in the OG felt more abstract cos you just see a handful of people running around with minimal dialogue before you meet Aerith.

I literally went "Fuuuuck..." when I saw this scene in my first playthrough. It felt more real to me.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yes, I DO know what happens next.
:D

The atmosphere here is great; it's great all game, really.

Gotta go back and finish my Hard mode run... eventually.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This next part is one of my favorite additions.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

As someone who also has no idea what's happening next, I can only imagine what it is, and eagerly awaiting it regardless. :allears:

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Are you playing with Japanese or English voices? I found that a lot of the characterization in the VAs differed between languages; Barrett was one of the biggest examples I can think of. In English he sounds like a Mr. T-esque gruff black dude. In Japanese he sounds kinda like a kooky weirdo idealist, which I get is more in line with what Nomura was thinking.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anakha posted:

The impact of the reactor explosion in the OG felt more abstract cos you just see a handful of people running around with minimal dialogue before you meet Aerith.

I literally went "Fuuuuck..." when I saw this scene in my first playthrough. It felt more real to me.
It is definitely a good change for the remake. The original kind of gives you a sense of what happened, but here we are shown the consequences of our actions. What is also a good choice is to not limit it to one way of conveying the upper plate destruction. The game could have used Barret's big speech earlier (with a small camera sweep of the area) to show it off or the walkthrough section to get the job done. Instead, we get both scenes and fully soak in the atmosphere of the area.

And at the end of the day, we're actually seeing more of the upper plate in some fashion. The original barely showed it off, if at all.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I went back down after climbing up after Jessie because if I did I'd be screaming right now GIMME THAT ORB! Screw you debris I want MAH ORB

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weed Wolf posted:

Are you playing with Japanese or English voices? I found that a lot of the characterization in the VAs differed between languages; Barrett was one of the biggest examples I can think of. In English he sounds like a Mr. T-esque gruff black dude. In Japanese he sounds kinda like a kooky weirdo idealist, which I get is more in line with what Nomura was thinking.

Japanese voices. I tried both in the demo and preferred JP so that's what I'm going with.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No more anime grunt noise comparisons then, haha? (Glad to see you back by the way!)

I just keep thinking how much more meaningful this segment would be if it was your fault (the game literally makes you, the player, set the timer on the bomb, after all), and not secretly Shinra's doing.

Lazarae
Jan 3, 2020
If they wanted to reveal that it was actually Shinra's doing they could have saved it for a flashback, after we've had the emotional impact from this scene.

Would have first made us feel guilty about blowing the reactor, then relieved, and then mad a Shinra which would help set them up as a villain.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I feel like that is something that would work in an alternate universe, where something like that wouldn't result in a bunch of stupid gotcha takes on social media about Sony making you feel bad for just playing a game.

But we live in the dumb timeline, so Sony has to reassure you right at the outset that don't feel bad, the bad guys were behind it the whole time

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I prefer it this way with Shinra causing the destruction of the reactor I never caught any sub text in the original that Shinra may have caused the total destruction of the reactor and always felt that the bomb used by Avalanche would have likely disabled the reactor rather than cause it to explode so violently. This way the explosion makes a lot more sense to me and still gives a good reason for the group to feel remorse at what they did.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I like this thread, and I liked the last one too (I still use your End of the Road render as my desktop background)
I, too, am waiting for the PC release but I will enjoy this in the meantime, Elentor. :)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I took my time walking through this section. It was insane how much dialogue was packed into this part, it's haunting.

I shoulda went through my Hard Mode lap in Japanese to compare the voices. The dub is really solid too, which is insane given SE's track record with voice direction.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I can see some people being put off by the English Barret voice performance at first, but Barret has a lot of initial bluster and fronting, and his voice performance ends up being one of the best for its range. The main voice cast in English is pretty excellent throughout, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I can see some people being put off by the English Barret voice performance at first, but Barret has a lot of initial bluster and fronting, and his voice performance ends up being one of the best for its range. The main voice cast in English is pretty excellent throughout, though.

Agreed. At the start I was part of the "Ugh, he's just Mr. T" brigade, but Barret grew into one of my favorites.

Though, to be clear, my favorite list is as such:

1. Aerith
1. Tifa
1. Barret
1. Jessie
1. Wedge
1.5 Charlie SheenBiggs
2. Cloud

They did such a good job with all of the characters in this. The voice actors are all great, the voice direction is great, the lines are great, the character development is great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's really not a bad English VA in the game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Eh, I wasn't a fan of Palmer's voice. I mean the acting part was fine, but something about the voice made me think "over the top children's cartoon voice".

But yeah, on the whole the English VA knocked it out of the park, especially Aerith and Tifa. The voices combined with masterful facial and body language animations were incredible.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lazarae posted:

If they wanted to reveal that it was actually Shinra's doing they could have saved it for a flashback, after we've had the emotional impact from this scene.

Would have first made us feel guilty about blowing the reactor, then relieved, and then mad a Shinra which would help set them up as a villain.

I rather appreciate the current order since it sets right away just how evil Shinra is, while still not undercutting the shock for the AVALANCHE characters. Also (spoilered even though I'm pretty sure this is in the original) it starts setting the stage for "Shinra is plotting to take everything the heroes do and twist it to their own ends" plotline, which is important to establish early since it explains why they're letting AVALANCHE keep walking around rather than take harder measures to stop them.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, it's incredible how much more impact the story gets with great vocal delivery vs. text too. I enjoyed the original story (at least as far as I got, kind of burned out on the JRPG grind and my completionism vs. so much stuff before I finished) but I was a lot more detached, this version really sucked me in, especially with things like this update's wandering through the wreckage and hearing people reacting exactly like you'd expect from a sudden explosion like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Proteus Jones posted:

Eh, I wasn't a fan of Palmer's voice. I mean the acting part was fine, but something about the voice made me think "over the top children's cartoon voice".

To be fair that is pretty much Palmer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair that is pretty much Palmer.

I really hope that the Rocket Town sequence still has him getting hit by the random truck.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Some Numbers posted:

I really hope that the Rocket Town sequence still has him getting hit by the random truck.

And his survival is somehow even more implausible than it was in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one goofy thing that bugs me is how materia are the size of baseballs in a context like the one where Jessie gave the healing materia, but you can equip them to weapons and see them slotted into the weapon, but they're really small.

Elentor posted:

Cloud, well, he is a huge douche. Props here. If you haven't played the original: One of the things feared the most was Cloud's characterization. The main character is... a bit of a very complex persona in the original, but since then was delegated to being a brooding depressed character with little self-esteem in the Expanded Universe and retroactively that notion worked its way back to the perception of the original. Cloud here, however, is exactly like he was in the original: A huge, dorky douche. This is our main character, folks.

I finally got around to playing more of this (I'm at the beginning of chapter 5 now) and I feel like they really did a great job with Cloud. His facial expressions and voice (I'm using the JP voices, don't know about how the English is) are remarkably expressive in a subtle sort of way and very good at conveying the fact that he's just sort of awkward and mentally "lost." And not just him - all the other prominent characters so far also have very distinct personalities. Some of this stuff has been genuinely heart-warming.

Unless there's a sudden drop in quality later, I'm really kind of stunned at how good this is. This game would have sold well regardless of how they did it, and I wasn't really expecting much before it came out.