Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

The number I've seen tossed around is like 1k per, generally accompanied by comments that they pay better than anyone in the fantasy art genre. Obviously I don't have any firsthand experience nor do I know how they handle bringing on new artists, but this is the first I've heard of Wizards paying poorly for art, at least, by the standards of fantasy art.

This is what I've heard as well. Those other numbers sound like what artists have told me... when they worked on Alpha. $1000 still seems low, but the artists get a fair amount of opportunity for making money off their work. I have to be honest, if you really enjoy painting pictures of elves and you want to pursue a job where you can paint pictures of elves, your options are likely very limited. Magic is probably the way to go, so they get to set the rate.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
1000$, they do your advertising for you, and you still keep the rights to the piece doesn't seem too awful.
How many of us would be buying John Avon or Seb pieces if we were never introduced to them through this game?

Being an artist seems like a hard and stressful way to make a living, but at least it is rewarding.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marvel/DC pay like 400$ for pencils/line art page and 800$ for cover art with similar original art agreements so I find it hard to believe that Kev Walker would ever do any magic cards today if this

earned him more than this

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DangerDongs posted:

1000$, they do your advertising for you, and you still keep the rights to the piece doesn't seem too awful.
How many of us would be buying John Avon or Seb pieces if we were never introduced to them through this game?

Being an artist seems like a hard and stressful way to make a living, but at least it is rewarding.

You don't keep the rights, you're just allowed to sell prints and crap, subject to Wizards' and, depending on the item, Ultra-Pro's branding requirements.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

there is absolutely no way they are paying that little. I cannot believe that. even artists for niche RPG books get paid more than that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/YukieTAJIMA/status/1275005759420428288

Gimme a grumpy Sorin token

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Oh yeah, just occured to me that Zendikar seems a good place for new Sorin and Nahiri cards. I know they are taking time away from the major stories but with Emrakul locked up it's just beef rather than existential threat now.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Following the Noah Bradley discussion I saw some conversation turn to "what's Rebecca Guay up to nowadays" and the answer is drawing six-foot penises, apparently. Good work if you can get it.

(NSFW click, if the link text didn't tip you off.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

wizzardstaff posted:

Following the Noah Bradley discussion I saw some conversation turn to "what's Rebecca Guay up to nowadays" and the answer is drawing six-foot penises, apparently. Good work if you can get it.

Is that for a spitting slug reprint?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh yeah, just occured to me that Zendikar seems a good place for new Sorin and Nahiri cards. I know they are taking time away from the major stories but with Emrakul locked up it's just beef rather than existential threat now.

I hope we get 4 color Omnath in Zendikar 3: Zendikar With a Vengeance

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Any thoughts on my Bo1 Standard monoblack homebrew? I like it but surely it can be better.

2x Knight of the Ebon Legion
4x Serrated Scorpion
3x Vampire of the Dire Moon
3x Mire's Grasp
2x Piper of the Swarm
4x Priest of the Forgotten Gods
4x Bastion of Remembrance
4x Call of the Death Dweller
2x Hunted Nightmare
2x Murder
3x Murderous Rider
3x Plaguecrafter
4x Spinal Centipede
2x Ill-Gotten Inheritance

18x Swamp

Cheers!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is that for a spitting slug reprint?

rejected Scooze rework

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

If you have Instagram she's absolutely worth following. Her art is as good as it's ever been, just really loving sexual and really loving weird. I dig it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2020/06/mtg-arena-is-coming-to-mac-on-thursday-june-25/

Neat for Mac ppl I guess!!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Any thoughts on my Bo1 Standard monoblack homebrew? I like it but surely it can be better.

2x Knight of the Ebon Legion
4x Serrated Scorpion
3x Vampire of the Dire Moon
3x Mire's Grasp
2x Piper of the Swarm
4x Priest of the Forgotten Gods
4x Bastion of Remembrance
4x Call of the Death Dweller
2x Hunted Nightmare
2x Murder
3x Murderous Rider
3x Plaguecrafter
4x Spinal Centipede
2x Ill-Gotten Inheritance

18x Swamp

Cheers!
I'm also developing a mono-black deck right now, but am instead organizing around the idea of breaking Sorin in various ways. For example, using Silversmote Ghoul for a recursive 3 lifegain, 3 damage to any target effect. As another example, including Haunt of High tower for a potentially huge turn 3 threat.

Knight of the Ebon Legion is a fantastic card, and I really like the interactions between Vampire of the Dire Moon, Bloodthirsty Aerialist, and the lifegain that you can stick onto any vampire through Sorin.

Since I'm already running Haunt and another rogue, I'm considering adding Thieves' Guild Enforcer for combat tricks and extra pump to Haunt. Blood Burglar goes well with that plan, and synergizes with the rest of the deck. Throwing in Vito should makes things really explode. If I can make it fit, the new deathtouch lord might find a place here, but I'm worried it might also dilute things too much.

Where our two plans differ is that I'm playing with some sacrifice effects but at the core my deck is mid-range with Aerialist, Haunt, and/or Vito as finishers, whereas I think you're mainly focusing on sacrifice.

And, if you're focusing on sacrifice right now, it probably makes sense to go Rakdos or Jund (and Rakdos is about to get even better with Village Rites).

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 22, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Here's Gerry's list from a recent article:

code:
3 Eliminate
3 Demonic Embrace
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks
4 Stonecoil Serpent
3 Castle Locthwain
3 Murderous Rider
3 Blacklance Paragon
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Rotting Regisaur
2 Mobilized District
2 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Gutterbones
4 Kitesail Freebooter
18 Swamp

Sideboard
2 Liliana's Standard Bearer
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Shadowspear
2 Legion's End
4 Drill Bit
3 Disfigure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are people who currently support themselves and their families with painting for WotC so it has to be more than that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If you're the least bit popular you can sell the original for 4-7 times the wotc commission.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ShaneB posted:

Here's Gerry's list from a recent article:

code:
3 Eliminate
3 Demonic Embrace
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks
4 Stonecoil Serpent
3 Castle Locthwain
3 Murderous Rider
3 Blacklance Paragon
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Rotting Regisaur
2 Mobilized District
2 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Gutterbones
4 Kitesail Freebooter
18 Swamp

Sideboard
2 Liliana's Standard Bearer
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Shadowspear
2 Legion's End
4 Drill Bit
3 Disfigure

Ah man this looks dope. I feel like an argument can be made for maindeck 2-4 Drill Bit if the post-M21 format is substantially similar to this one

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If you're the least bit popular you can sell the original for 4-7 times the wotc commission.

I remember seeing Bradley selling the original History of Benalia at scgcon one year and I want to say it was $3,000? It's absolutely gorgeous in person and cards often don't do originals justice. Too bad he sucks rear end as a human.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The art for Otrimi, the Ever Playful sold for 5K and that card was only just printed in Commander 2020, there are lots of art nerds who want cool monster paintings.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, the artists probably make great residual income. I dunno when Mark Tedin last made something but he likely still makes bank off his early magic stuff.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The early magic artists got paid pennies (because WotC was broke) but the contract gave them royalties whenever the image was used. After Magic got big(get) WotC came back and said "agree to give up royalties or we'll never use this art again (and you still won't get royalties)" and some (most?) told them no. As such a lot of the early art will never be reprinted by Wizards ever.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah, the artists probably make great residual income. I dunno when Mark Tedin last made something but he likely still makes bank off his early magic stuff.

He did the current sol ring magicfest art. Which owns.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone ordered from GameNerdz before? I locked in 2 boxes of Jumpstart before a single spoiler and now they are up like 65 ea bucks from my preorder price. Hoping they're not the kind of fly by night that's gonna cancel due to "lack of stock" and relist them lol.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my only experience with them is reading your post and thinking about how terrible the name 'GameNerdz' is. i'm worried for your purchase

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I remember seeing Bradley selling the original History of Benalia at scgcon one year and I want to say it was $3,000? It's absolutely gorgeous in person and cards often don't do originals justice. Too bad he sucks rear end as a human.

Now any new originals clear $10K easily. Art market is rediculous now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Big Leg posted:

my only experience with them is reading your post and thinking about how terrible the name 'GameNerdz' is. i'm worried for your purchase

pray with me, for them to honor the order. i ordered for pure theme land/fun quick sealed purpose reasons, blind, and should not be punished for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought a deck box from them like a month ago with no issues.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Anyone ordered from GameNerdz before? I locked in 2 boxes of Jumpstart before a single spoiler and now they are up like 65 ea bucks from my preorder price. Hoping they're not the kind of fly by night that's gonna cancel due to "lack of stock" and relist them lol.

I purchased Isle of Cats from them (great board game, you'd love it) and they shipped it super quickly. If you go on https://www.reddit.com/r/Boardgamedeals/ you'll see they're one of the more recommended online retailers. Terrible name, I agree.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ersatz posted:

I'm also developing a mono-black deck right now, but am instead organizing around the idea of breaking Sorin in various ways. For example, using Silversmote Ghoul for a recursive 3 lifegain, 3 damage to any target effect. As another example, including Haunt of High tower for a potentially huge turn 3 threat.

Knight of the Ebon Legion is a fantastic card, and I really like the interactions between Vampire of the Dire Moon, Bloodthirsty Aerialist, and the lifegain that you can stick onto any vampire through Sorin.

Since I'm already running Haunt and another rogue, I'm considering adding Thieves' Guild Enforcer for combat tricks and extra pump to Haunt. Blood Burglar goes well with that plan, and synergizes with the rest of the deck. Throwing in Vito should makes things really explode. If I can make it fit, the new deathtouch lord might find a place here, but I'm worried it might also dilute things too much.

Where our two plans differ is that I'm playing with some sacrifice effects but at the core my deck is mid-range with Aerialist, Haunt, and/or Vito as finishers, whereas I think you're mainly focusing on sacrifice.

And, if you're focusing on sacrifice right now, it probably makes sense to go Rakdos or Jund (and Rakdos is about to get even better with Village Rites).

I play a netdeck Raakdos that rarely gets going lol. I think I was playing an incomplete list for being tokens poor though.

My logic for this deck was "I want removal" --> "This seems pretty cheap I want mana efficiency too then" --> "I have no sustain let me add that" and also deciding against catoven because it's boring (I've played it a ton, it was fun for a while). I'm having a lot more success with it than I thought I would, I like that it plays very fast with the right draws and if the Swarm and Priest combo stays on the board you basically just win.

I'm not sure what "Haunt and another rogue" you're referring to (still noob here). Awesome M21 list, very appreciated! Really looking forward to tinkering with this deck for a while.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I play a netdeck Raakdos that rarely gets going lol. I think I was playing an incomplete list for being tokens poor though.

My logic for this deck was "I want removal" --> "This seems pretty cheap I want mana efficiency too then" --> "I have no sustain let me add that" and also deciding against catoven because it's boring (I've played it a ton, it was fun for a while). I'm having a lot more success with it than I thought I would, I like that it plays very fast with the right draws and if the Swarm and Priest combo stays on the board you basically just win.

I'm not sure what "Haunt and another rogue" you're referring to (still noob here). Awesome M21 list, very appreciated! Really looking forward to tinkering with this deck for a while.
I was probably being too vague without actually posting the list (which isn't yet complete since I haven't been able to test the cards yet). What I meant by that is that Haunt of Hightower pumps +1/+1 every time an opponent's card hits the graveyard from any source. Thieves' Guild Enforcer mills two of your opponent's cards every time it or another rogue enters play on your side, and the other rogue that's already part of my plan is Bloodthirsty Aerialist.

With an ideal draw, I'd be dropping Sorin on turn 3, using his -3 ability to play Haunt of Hightower from my hand, and then killing the opponent with Haunt after dropping Vito on turn 4 or 5. Haunt has lifelink, so Vito will effectively double every point of damage it does to the opponent, and by turn 4 or 5, Haunt is very likely going to be a 6/6 or 7/7, even without additional pump from milling rogues.

Luckily, Haunt isn't necessary for the deck to win, since Aerialist does just as well in a deck with lots of lifegain effects (including the lifelinking creatures, and the recursive 3 damage to any target, 3 life gain off of sacrificing Silversmote Ghoul over and over).

I had a solid Rakdos sacrifice deck going last month, but I too got sick of Cat-Oven, and decided to have fun with aggressive mono-black vampires. My hope is that with these incoming cards will allow me to propel that vampire deck out of diamond and into mythic. Hard to say without actually having played with the new cards, but I think there's a decent chance.

The Silversmote/Sorin combo alone is a bit nuts. Just wish I had a synergistic way to mill my own deck to get extra Silversmotes in play.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bradley is out.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1275188133819228161?s=19

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
This is a shockingly rapid response time from WotC.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
They've had plenty of pressure to not drag their feet, recently .

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

This is a shockingly rapid response time from WotC.

i mean, with the big asterisk that we'll still be seeing noah bradley art on cards through 2021 give the lead time on card printing, and potentially further depending on how much money they care to spend on commissioning replacement art in the future

like it's not like they can speed it up at all but I guess if they're still doing it in 2024 time to complain again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well nevermind

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

flatluigi posted:

and potentially further depending on how much money they care to spend on commissioning replacement art in the future

They said they will remove his art from reprints. I guess technically they could remove his art from some (but not all) reprints and not be liars, but in practice that seems hard for them to get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This makes the vagina mountain from origins uncomfortable.