Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1275079775564922883

Better than expected tbh

Somewhat notable that Labour voters are less TERFy than Lib Dem ones. Probably bad news for Layla Moran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Like, the Body Shop are shits AIUI, and well worthy of boycotting on other grounds, but not on these.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Desiderata posted:

If you didn't watch Chris Morris' follow up movie ''The Day Shall Come" you should, as it covers that. I really liked it, even though it wasn't as well reviewed as Four Lions. I put that down to the Morris aesthetic fitting a 'laughable pathetic UK losers' setting more than a 'cool FBI Miami US' production style. Still, I cried at the end at the injustice of it all.

I haven't seen the film but I heard an interview with mark kermode (maybe? I'm not sure where else I would have heard it though) where he discussed the actual case it was based on and it's insane that the FBI just decides to turn people into "terrorists" so it can win its war on "terrorism"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_City_Seven?wprov=sfla1

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You can make a case that there is a positive English nationalism that Labour might be able to tap into but the PPE class have more experience, knowledge and shared experience with the extremophile bacteria that live in volcanic vents than they do with someone living in a terrace in Liverpool. They think that all they need to do is find that exact perfect sweet spot on the racism dial that will capture 1.1 statue nonces for every 1 disaffected person that drops out of politics altogether. They're constitutionally incapable of viewing people outside of Zone 2 as anything other than stimulus/response machines that react to flags and human rights like Les from Big Night Out reacts to spirit levels and chives.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can make a case that there is a positive (...) nationalism

recoiling like a vampire irl

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

XMNN posted:

I haven't seen the film but I heard an interview with mark kermode (maybe? I'm not sure where else I would have heard it though) where he discussed the actual case it was based on and it's insane that the FBI just decides to turn people into "terrorists" so it can win its war on "terrorism"

lol at anyone who truly believed robert mueller was going to bring serious charges against trump

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

Better than expected tbh

Somewhat notable that Labour voters are less TERFy than Lib Dem ones. Probably bad news for Layla Moran.

Wonder how many of these thought "transgender woman" meant "woman before".

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Ugh, hadn't thought of this.

See also, yelling at trans man: "You'll never be a woman!!!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What a surprise that it's men who can't get past their gay panic dragging the stats down.

Can't wait for gen z to forcefem everyone 2035.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Is it better or worse than the UK equivalent of turning people into actual real terrorists and then 'forgetting' to keep tabs on them?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can make a case that there is a positive English nationalism that Labour might be able to tap into but the PPE class have more experience, knowledge and shared experience with the extremophile bacteria that live in volcanic vents than they do with someone living in a terrace in Liverpool. They think that all they need to do is find that exact perfect sweet spot on the racism dial that will capture 1.1 statue nonces for every 1 disaffected person that drops out of politics altogether. They're constitutionally incapable of viewing people outside of Zone 2 as anything other than stimulus/response machines that react to flags and human rights like Les from Big Night Out reacts to spirit levels and chives.
If there ever was a positive English nationalism, it was at Peterloo, boycotting slave cotton, the idea of the Norman yoke, and that 'Britain' is an illegitimate polity ruled by a Hanoverian elite. I'm not sure that England exists any more anywhere outside of the heads of Billy Bragg and that one guy Coohoolin knows anymore.

It's interesting that the article portrays 90% of English as saying you don't have to be 'white' to be English, whereas ~75% of BAME people don't particularly want to be English.

Surprise T Rex posted:

The full question is "For the following question, a transgender woman is someone who was male at birth, but now identifies as a woman. To what extent, if at all, do you agree with the statement, "A transgender woman is a woman"?" but that's assuming a certain level of comprehension (and also, importantly, misses out a transgender woman is someone who was assigned male at birth).

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Bit of faith restored!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

Better than expected tbh

Check out that perfect crossover on the timeline as the "somewhat disagrees" cement into "strongly disagrees" though

Guessing that's the "I used to only be a bit of a bigot but trans activists kept calling me a bigot so it's their fault really" crowd

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit divide continues to be illuminating (but only with incandescent lights).
[Leavers]
Agree: 31%
Disagree: 55%

[Remainers]
Agree: 64%
Disagree: 25%

Also worth noting that trans acceptance numbers are around where gay relationships being real numbers were in 2004.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Is it better or worse than the UK equivalent of turning people into actual real terrorists and then 'forgetting' to keep tabs on them?
on balance, probably marginally better because at least they only ruin their patsies' lives?

Guavanaut posted:

If there ever was a positive English nationalism, it was at Peterloo, boycotting slave cotton, the idea of the Norman yoke, and that 'Britain' is an illegitimate polity ruled by a Hanoverian elite. I'm not sure that England exists any more anywhere outside of the heads of Billy Bragg and that one guy Coohoolin knows anymore.
yeah there are some things in English history that the left can genuinely be proud of (diggers, tolpuddle martyrs, Jarrow march sorts of things) but these articles never seem to be about reshaping the bits of English history we celebrate, just
advocating trying to co-opt the currently existing English nationalism

I've just finished the first series of that revolutions podcast and there were some good things in there, but I guess the problem is the good guys have almost always lost

also I found all the parliamentary shenanigans that mostly seemed to revolve around not being able to do the obvious and necessary things because they were too busy bickering and enriching/perpetuating themselves p relatable

I want to see jessflaps commanding a cavalry troop in the 4th English civil war

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sebzilla posted:

Better than expected tbh

i was told that real women didn't buy into gender ideology. shame that nowadays 54% of women in the uk are therefore secretly men. did the pollsters even bother to ask respondents if they were currently menstruating

Borrovan posted:

Check out that perfect crossover on the timeline as the "somewhat disagrees" cement into "strongly disagrees" though

Guessing that's the "I used to only be a bit of a bigot but trans activists kept calling me a bigot so it's their fault really" crowd

those are all like, 1% different, that'll be within the margin of error

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

recoiling like a vampire irl

It would be mostly fluffy fubpee bullshit but I absolutely refuse to cede, say, Richard Trevithick, Tommy Flowers, or Project Binky to the flagshaggers. It is possible to be both proud of where you're from *and* willing to recognise the lovely bits of it. Nationalism is stupid, I fully agree with that, but completely refusing to use it is simply leaving people looking for an identity to the thumb people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's the problem with having a very loose sense of national identity.

In many ways that's a good thing, a centralized regimented national identity where everyone marches in lockstep is a hallmark of fascism, or at the very least a state that doesn't tolerate people who don't fit that mold.

But it's left the English identity to people who care a lot about national identity, who unsurprisingly tend to skew nationalist even if just in a George Cross and pissing on monuments to protect them way, and left the British identity split mostly between BAME people seeking a common thread between India, Uganda, and Leicester, and the outright BNP/Unionist/Orangemen types. And the BBC, which issues a very soft Britishness closer to the former which pisses off everyone else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I think that's the problem with having a very loose sense of national identity.

In many ways that's a good thing, a centralized regimented national identity where everyone marches in lockstep is a hallmark of fascism, or at the very least a state that doesn't tolerate people who don't fit that mold.

But it's left the English identity to people who care a lot about national identity, who unsurprisingly tend to skew nationalist even if just in a George Cross and pissing on monuments to protect them way, and left the British identity split mostly between BAME people seeking a common thread between India, Uganda, and Leicester, and the outright BNP/Unionist/Orangemen types. And the BBC, which issues a very soft Britishness closer to the former which pisses off everyone else.

I think the problem is that England is so dominant in the Union (and by extension in the Empire) that there was no opportunity or even need to develop a separate identity in the same way as - to use a topical example - the people on the Windrush did, considering themselves British people who happened to have been born on a rather warmer island which also had its own traditions and culture. I've mentioned it before but until 1996 the main flag you saw at England games was the Union Jack, not the St. George's Cross, because there was no particular need for English people to identify as anything other than British.

However I'd also say that there are strongly (if not uniquely) English traditions that you could start to build an identity around. I mentioned Project Binky, but blokes in sheds tinkering with stuff and producing something amazing is a strong through-line in English history, whether it was Richard Trevithick or Colin Furze. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can also point at a strong and rich engineering tradition but if someone emerges from a shed, dazed, oil-stained and slightly singed, having just invented a time machine after going in there to fix the Christmas lights, they're probably going to be English.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Hopping back onto Facebook for work was a mistake because now I'm just arguing with transphobes 24/7.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's actually good if the state excludes people who don't fit the mold, if the mold is "not conforming to gender assignments".

Cis are invalid, forcefem all pre-forcedfem girls.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol if you don’t say England when referring to all of the four countries

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I can't say "I'm proud of Britain/being British" without feeling faintly sick, but there are things about Britain that I am proud of. Mainly the NHS. Possibly only the NHS.

E: How come Mike Duncan sounds so much sexier back in the History of Rome podcast than he does in Revolutions?

Wachter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 22, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

XMNN posted:

The Adam Buxton interview with him is also good

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ep104-chris-morris-1

Wachter posted:

I can't say "I'm proud of Britain/being British" without feeling faintly sick, but there are things about Britain that I am proud of. Mainly the NHS. Possibly only the NHS.

E: How come Mike Duncan sounds so much sexier back in the History of Rome podcast than he does in Revolutions?

I always hesitate on certain forms where it lists both British and English. I think of Britain and England as being seperate things and identify more strongly with the former.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

King Crab posted:

Hopping back onto Facebook for work was a mistake because now I'm just arguing with transphobes 24/7.

hail satan

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

justcola posted:

I always hesitate on certain forms where it lists both British and English. I think of Britain and England as being seperate things and identify more strongly with the former.

Tbh I always get them mixed up anyway

Re: Chris Morris and The Day Shall Come, I read The Age of Lone Wolf Terrorism shortly before watching the film, and it really does underscore the colossally sad and stupid reality behind the film. It's not as good a movie as Four Lions because, as a satire, there is almost no comedic space to explore around its subject matter. How can you make a silly joke about law enforcement inventing terrorists so that the government gives them the money they need to arrest the terrorists they invent? It already is a bigger joke than most people can even conceive.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/stevo5june/status/1273605034144681984?s=20
he looks like Bigfoot, if bigfoot was trying and failing to ride a bicycle

e: also lol at Andrew Mitchell being a stupid oval office who doesn't understand our big wet prime minister is not a man to be trusted

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The common knowledge that boris is a liar gives-
1) an easy out when he does go back on his word
2) boris defenders an opinion that you shouldn’t have trusted him because you know what he’s like

Everyone wins and the press get to pretend they’re shocked, shocked I tell you ( and ignore actual news)

It’s infuriating

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

"We don't need the EU we can turn the commonwealth into a new economic trading zone"

*instantly pisses off most commonwealth countries*

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/22/commonwealth-leaders-concerned-uk-trying-oust-patricia-scotland-boris-johnson

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/joejervis89/status/1275169323670278144?s=20

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wachter posted:

The fantastic book "Age of Lone Wolf Terrorism" made the case that modern counter-terror efforts indirectly aid and abet real terrorists. Because some of their resources are diverted to deliberately radicalising fringe cases into full-blown (albeit inept) Four Lions-style extremism for the sole purpose of arresting them, it makes it all the more likely that the ones who know what they're doing slip through the net.

Saw “Lone Wolf Terrorism” and immediately wondered what magnakai disciplines they took.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

lol @ him admitting 10% of English people are racist as gently caress (even though it's definitely more than 10%)

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Lone Wolf Terrorism wouldn't be so appealing if everyone called it Billy No-Mates Terrorism instead.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah they should really use a less cool animal. Lone Slug or Lone Bum Parasite or something.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wachter posted:

Other countries have universal healthcare and have had it for longer, hth.

That said the NHS is better than many for treating almost every resident regardless of citizenship(*) free of charge and for being funded almost entirely by general taxation.

It's also fairly underfunded though, compared with some of the other ones.

* Illegal immigrants, short-term visitors and visa overstayers need not apply.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wachter posted:

Yeah they should really use a less cool animal. Lone Slug or Lone Bum Parasite or something.

"A suspected lone Guinea Worm terror attack took place in Reading"

yeah that works much better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Funny we were just talking about terrorists and the intelligence services, because it looks like one of MI5's little projects just went somewhere:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1275227367489916928?s=21

The Order of the Nine Angles are descendants of Combat 18, widely suspected to be a British Intelligence honeypot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

However I'd also say that there are strongly (if not uniquely) English traditions that you could start to build an identity around. I mentioned Project Binky, but blokes in sheds tinkering with stuff and producing something amazing is a strong through-line in English history, whether it was Richard Trevithick or Colin Furze. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can also point at a strong and rich engineering tradition but if someone emerges from a shed, dazed, oil-stained and slightly singed, having just invented a time machine after going in there to fix the Christmas lights, they're probably going to be English.

I mean I guess you could try to build an identity around that but I would have to ask why bother? If you want a national identity then you can just go for the one that exists, it will fulfil the need more viscerally. It being belligerent and hostile is the point, because that's what gives you the other to define yourself in contrast with.

I don't think that "oh we like to tinker in sheds I guess, this is part of my essential national identity" is gonna interest would be nationalists and to people like me it just looks daft. If you're capable of defining a constructive identity then I don't see why you need a national one. You can make your own. Plus I don't see what I have to do with internet celebrities just because we live on the same island. Especially as the idea that I would ever be able to afford a shed or materials to tinker in one is laughable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 23, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jel Shaker posted:

lol if you don’t say England when referring to all of the four countries

That's what we outside the UK tend to do. We also call the americans yanks, even the people in the south.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Plus I don't see what I have to do with internet celebrities just because we live on the same island. Especially as the idea that I would ever be able to afford a shed or materials to tinker in one is laughable.

I weep for the shedless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's fine really I can spend the time tinkering in my bedroom constructing a personal identity instead.