Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Arglebargle III posted:

1st century AD cameo of Germanicus Julius Caesar in sardonyx and gold.

Huh. The sideburns and the gold leaf looking like a high collar makes it look like some kinda Napoleonic-era British Navy captain to my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not very ancient but lol

(from A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX: With a Pedigree of Most of Its Gentry, by Thomas Westcote, Gent.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Huh. The sideburns and the gold leaf looking like a high collar makes it look like some kinda Napoleonic-era British Navy captain to my brain.

the bangs give it away though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"My friend, we've created this wasteland.
What shall we tell the gods when we get back home?"

- The Epic of Gilgamesh

(narrated by Leonard Nemoy)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

Not very ancient but lol

(from A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX: With a Pedigree of Most of Its Gentry, by Thomas Westcote, Gent.)

Oh, Spitchwick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/serbiaireland/status/1255069819193491456

plus ca change

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I’m no expert on Devon, but the parish name he cites seems to be somewhere else. The book is awesome (and awesomely unfocused and digressive), maybe Spitchwick is in it somewhere for all I know.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The estates of William Drake Gould devolved on his only son Edward Gould (1740-1788), a spendthrift and a gambler. One evening after a game of cards in which he had lost "every guinea he had about him",[14] he rode off, put a black mask over his face as a highwayman, waylaid the winner of the game and shot him dead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PawParole posted:

The estates of William Drake Gould devolved on his only son Edward Gould (1740-1788), a spendthrift and a gambler. One evening after a game of cards in which he had lost "every guinea he had about him",[14] he rode off, put a black mask over his face as a highwayman, waylaid the winner of the game and shot him dead.

Thug life

lol, he got off too

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 20, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone have a list of good sources on church history up to the Great Schism that isn't written from a confessional standpoint (or at least acknowledges the writer's ideological perspective)?

The wiki sources list is just shot through by Paulist Press books and by authors with beards down to they dicks and they aren't going to be exactly agnostic about the events, you know?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone have a list of good sources on church history up to the Great Schism that isn't written from a confessional standpoint (or at least acknowledges the writer's ideological perspective)?

The wiki sources list is just shot through by Paulist Press books and by authors with beards down to they dicks and they aren't going to be exactly agnostic about the events, you know?

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Wars-Patriarchs-Emperors-Christians-ebook/dp/B00395ZYVI#customerReviews

It doesn't go up to the great schism, but this was recommended to me by one of my theology professors in college about some questions I had on early Christian arguments between Orthodoxy/Arianism/etc. Since this was outside the scope of the class I was taking, but a book he read and felt covered the topic well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jack2142 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Wars-Patriarchs-Emperors-Christians-ebook/dp/B00395ZYVI#customerReviews

It doesn't go up to the great schism, but this was recommended to me by one of my theology professors in college about some questions I had on early Christian arguments between Orthodoxy/Arianism/etc. Since this was outside the scope of the class I was taking, but a book he read and felt covered the topic well.

I'll take a look, thanks!

I'll be honest and say that playing CK2 has made me unhealthy interested in the various heresies of early Christianity and I'm always wondering to what extent the doctrinal stuff was just ciphers for the sort of political and economic reasons I'm more used to ascribing mass violence to (I have a hard time putting myself in the head of someone willing to kill/die to determine if Christ's humanness was like a drop of water in the sea or not) but "the past is a foreign country" (as the kids say these days) and I don't share their world or their priors so I can't necessarily understand their motivations?

:shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I'll take a look, thanks!

I'll be honest and say that playing CK2 has made me unhealthy interested in the various heresies of early Christianity and I'm always wondering to what extent the doctrinal stuff was just ciphers for the sort of political and economic reasons I'm more used to ascribing mass violence to (I have a hard time putting myself in the head of someone willing to kill/die to determine if Christ's humanness was like a drop of water in the sea or not) but "the past is a foreign country" (as the kids say these days) and I don't share their world or their priors so I can't necessarily understand their motivations?

:shrug:

It’s not a one or the other thing. When there is no separation of church and state, religious motives are necessarily political, however sincerely they are also religious. One could look at the Monophysite-Chalcedonian schism as a political struggle for primacy within the church between the patriarchs of Constantinople and Antioch and that of Alexandria, and it was, but they chose to have that political struggle not by saying “I should be head bitch of the church, end of story”, but over an issue of the proper philosophical presentation of the figure of the Roman state’s single politically acceptable god for whom the Roman emperors claimed to rule earth as vicar.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

skasion posted:

Not very ancient but lol

I'll have you know, I'm descended from a long line of Suckbitchs.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/22/experts-call-for-regulation-after-latest-botched-art-restoration-in-spain

It happened again...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/botched-spanish-statue-st-george-lovingly-unrestored#img-1

The botched restoration reminds me of those really lovely looking roman statue restorations

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone go gently caress up a painting of Joseph for the dada nativity combo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tunicate posted:

The botched restoration reminds me of those really lovely looking roman statue restorations

I sincerely hope you're not a person who hated the painted statue recreations because the bare white marble ones seemed more "historical" to you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/29/the-myth-of-whiteness-in-classical-sculpture

I feel like a ton of information about the colors of the paint on the statues has been lost, so much so that it's hard to say what the colors looked like back then. The reconstructions are typically done with plaster, which absorbs paint and reflects light differently than painted marble.

The reconstructions definitely need time to mature and look as they would. But the important thing is that they were painted, and they were painted with great care and artistry, just as much as what was chiseled into the stone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I sincerely hope you're not a person who hated the painted statue recreations because the bare white marble ones seemed more "historical" to you.

I'm saying they look lovely, as if someone who lacked artistic experience was treating them as a paint-by-numbers exercise, just as the guy who repainted that saint george statue did.

Same energy

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 23, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Has there been any experimental archeology on it? Like tasking an actual artist to produce and stage a good looking painted stone statue?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That would just tell you what "good looking" means to a 21st century artist. It could be the same as what the Romans or Ancient Greeks thought looked good, or it might not. You'd have no way to know.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

While true I'd still like to see someone give it a go.

The sculptural style is something we do know very well. We know some of the paints and materials they were made of and can probably have a reasonable guess at what colours were avaliable.

While we might not know the painting style, given the realistic nature of the statues I'd love to see a talented artist take the best approximation of materials and have a go with 'heroic realism' or whatever as the goal.

I agree with the paint by numbers comment above.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah, they're all completely flat and 100% saturated, as if the reconstructors were just squirting unmixed paint straight from the tube. We know ancient painters used shading and gradients; do the modern painters only know for certain the undercoat that was used, and can't tell what was layered above, so they don't try? Or is it some sort of stylistic choice?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A good experiment would be to take period paints and tools, then ask an artist to give it their absolute best. But it could very well be that what we think of as flat and gaudy was pure and beautiful by ancient standards.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hell there should be plenty of talented WH painters who could use the work.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, they're all completely flat and 100% saturated, as if the reconstructors were just squirting unmixed paint straight from the tube. We know ancient painters used shading and gradients; do the modern painters only know for certain the undercoat that was used, and can't tell what was layered above, so they don't try? Or is it some sort of stylistic choice?

Scumbling layering is a specific thing of oil painting that involves plenty of thinners. Mediterranean painting in antiquity didn't use this kind of binder yet afaik? Other binders pretty much limit how paintings may look like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, there's a lot of textual evidence dating back to at least Roman times that many of those statues were stark white and never painted. A lot of people just learned about how some Greek and Roman statues were painted in bright colors and leapt onto the idea of "Everything back then was secretly ultra-colorful and we're all wrong about everything!"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I also think, regardless of historical accuracy, I'd just like to see some really nicely painted sculptures of people. Most realistic (western?) statuary in the last couple of hundred years has been heavily influenced by the idea of Roman/Greek pure white marble statues so what we see around us is that. Be nice to see some new ideas.

(I'm fully aware this is where someone says "There's loads of them if you look for them")

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grevling posted:

Hell there should be plenty of talented WH painters who could use the work.

Roman/ancient history: Warhammer painters love their statues

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
There's a lot of lovely art around today. No reason the Greeks and Romans couldn't have lovely art too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Epicurius posted:

There's a lot of lovely art around today. No reason the Greeks and Romans couldn't have lovely art too.

Sure, but it seems weird for there to be a brilliantly carved statue covered in a crappy paint job.

You don't put housepaint on a porsche.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure, but it seems weird for there to be a brilliantly carved statue covered in a crappy paint job.

It wasn't my porsche.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's incredibly possible that Ancient Romans liked ugly, gaudy things.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Isn’t there also a school of thought that the statues were gaudily colored because they were usually high on buildings, away from easy viewing, and so the bright colors made them more recognizable at a distance?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maybe you don't.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fuschia tude posted:

They're just not very good. They're basically taking what the colors of the microscopic paint flecks are and then painting from there. We do actually have painted stuff from antiquity and it all looks way better than the reconstructions. There's a current debate about this, some people think the wild gaudy poo poo is accurate but the consensus is moving toward the original painted material being much more realistic, in line with the surviving original paint we have from classical art, and the reconstructions just being done incompetently.

Also the gaudiness and the terrible modern reconstructions aren't in conflict. You can have brightly painted stuff that is done more competently than the ones Tunicate posted. I have zero visual artistic talent and even I can tell those are lovely paint jobs.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 23, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What we need to do is find some professional warhammer miniature painters and then get the to go to town on some full size legionnaires and dying gauls and poo poo

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not unless you're Vince Colletta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What we need to do is find some professional warhammer miniature painters and then get the to go to town on some full size legionnaires and dying gauls and poo poo

Given how good Roman paintings often are compared to modern reconstructions, I honestly think this would be a good idea and give a much better idea of what the painted statues looked like.