Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forgot how loving great the post-push scenes are. Hwaryun's scenes with both Rachel and later Bam, Hansung dropping all pretenses at long last and making it more or less clear that he manipulated all things Hoh/Rachel/Bam related to have Bam's death be faked, everything with the Rachel scenes with Headon, It's all such a great way to lead into Part 2. There's a lot to get through in that stretch that owns that I fear might get skipped over a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I like Rachel a lot, but I don't think she should be redeemed last-minute by some new revelation that Bam will magically kill everyone in the Tower if he reaches the top or something. It's fine for a girl with petty motivations to have those motivations still be petty by the end.

That said, I always disliked people calling her a bitch like that's a failing of her character instead of exactly what SIU is trying to portray. Her bitchiness is what makes her likeable to me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Reading the anime thread reminds me how much I miss the days of Khun's Constant Keikakus, and how much he loved to roast the absolute poo poo out of Rachel.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My boy Khun absolutely despises Rachel

I think in part because it's the same level of "can't trust any of these fuckers" he seems to hate about his family but also because it's personal

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Anime thread reminded me how much I hope that SIU haven't forgot about Rachel. She is still one of the characters that holds my utmost interest.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

ugusername posted:

Anime thread reminded me how much I hope that SIU haven't forgot about Rachel...

No chance, she's the 2nd most important character.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm most interested in what is going on with Wagnan. He's a cool guy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

limeicebreakers posted:

I like Rachel a lot, but I don't think she should be redeemed last-minute by some new revelation that Bam will magically kill everyone in the Tower if he reaches the top or something. It's fine for a girl with petty motivations to have those motivations still be petty by the end.

That said, I always disliked people calling her a bitch like that's a failing of her character instead of exactly what SIU is trying to portray. Her bitchiness is what makes her likeable to me.

Rachel's a terrible person but every major character in Tower of God either has authentic and understandable reasons for their behavior in their backstory (even if they're a total psychopath), or has a bunch of hints pointing to a backstory that we just don't know about yet.

I don't think Rachel will ever be "redeemed" in the sense that it's going to turn out she was doing the right thing all along, but I expect that source of her selfishness and manipulative personality will make every bit as much sense as, say, Khun's paranoia.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also I genuinely can't remember + can't entirely trust the translation anyways

is Rachel actually an Irregular? or when she took Bam's "spot" did she get the Regular status that was meant to be for him

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also I genuinely can't remember + can't entirely trust the translation anyways

is Rachel actually an Irregular? or when she took Bam's "spot" did she get the Regular status that was meant to be for him

Rachel is a confirmed Irregular. She came into the tower through a non-standard method, and is not from within the tower proper.

She does not seem to (thus far) have any of the special super powers that every other important Irregular has had.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The universal truth of all Regulars is that Headon appears before them wherever they might be within the tower itself and teleports them to the Floor of Test. By definition anything that happens otherwise makes them not a Regular.

The mechanics and how/when/where/what of Rachel and Bam's entries have always been relatively vague and unclear but a common theory is that Bam is the one who properly opened the door/was chosen by the Tower and Rachel snuck in ahead of him. So like I guess when Bam is on top of her when the floor starts glowing where she disappeared could be said to be the door opening beneath them, a process meant for Bam but since she was literally right there over the door beneath him she went in ahead of him.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 20, 2020

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rachel's a lot smarter than she makes herself appear, but not half as smart as she thinks she is.

My guess is that she's had a terrible childhood and clung to the idea of avenging Arlene Grace as a way of becoming the hero everyone has to look up to instead of ignore/bully/whatever. She knows more about the Tower than most people and when she found Baam she hatched a scheme to use him to get inside and start her path to becoming the hero. Then Baam came in after her anyway and in her eyes hosed it all up for her. Nevermind that she wasn't going to pass Headon's special test for Irregulars, it was all the fault of Baam.

She's going for Hail Mary after Hail Mary passes and sometimes they work, but the main reason for her success going up the tower is due to her not being bound by any existing Administrator contracts so the more ruthless faction of FUG can use her to slay Jahad. My wild guess is that she'll show up in the final battle against Jahad and somehow her technically being an Irregular (but without the associated powers) she'll tip the scales somehow. I hope she doesn't join Baam's harem of monster friends, but he's been hanging out with White, so she'd not be the worst person around.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
I've been enjoying the dynamics between the slayers. Besides Bam, Karaka has the longest and character development of slayers as he went from seeing Bam as a useless vessel for the thorn to deep respect over how many story arcs now, as well as having the same master as Bam and Kalavan and the internal conflict he faces So many dynamics and viewpoints from their combined relationships amongst each other. Yama is just now entering his second story arc, so hopefully we will see some growth from him after his long winded intro which I thought was a bit dull. Didn't see much growth that wasn't plot armor unlike Karaka. White, though, has had quite the subtle development and currently has my interest. Not just with the recent chapters of the Nest Arc, but his character introduction was quite well done. He really show's how a slayer shouldn't be, but has moments of humanity then those moments being ripped away. Especially with the last chapter oh my what a small short panel showing that oh so sly moment licking his lips. Siu kinda showed thru early narrative that a slayer was a zahad killer, usually an irregular, but that was just about it. How they do it, how they are selected, what kind of powers they have, and motives all intertwining with each other, and using Bam as a staple wall to bounce these ideas back off of what a slayer really should be. I mean, is Bam really a good guy? He's single handedly starting a war for his own personal goals right now, and despite the narrative and the shown evils of zahad family, I kinda have to think back on the bigger picture, isn't zahad himself the good guy? He's a fully realised darth vader and emporer palpatine incarnate, he brought peace and order, a system to climb, a union of civilizations and worlds, and just sits there and chills. He's sure as hell got some character development with only a few pages of him actually being present in the present. And then there's Wangnan, wtf has this guy been up to? Why does he look exactly like zahad and why does he have his ring and how he's bro's with karaka. what a perfect storm we are entering... and only on floor 50something out of 134.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Jahad is a good guy dictator as long as he gets exactly what he wants. He doesn't care about people outside of the peace and order he created because he felt like it and the moment you cross him in the most inconsequential way is the moment he orders your death.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

The Holy Queef posted:

I've been enjoying the dynamics between the slayers. Besides Bam, Karaka has the longest and character development of slayers as he went from seeing Bam as a useless vessel for the thorn to deep respect over how many story arcs now, as well as having the same master as Bam and Kalavan and the internal conflict he faces So many dynamics and viewpoints from their combined relationships amongst each other. Yama is just now entering his second story arc, so hopefully we will see some growth from him after his long winded intro which I thought was a bit dull. Didn't see much growth that wasn't plot armor unlike Karaka. White, though, has had quite the subtle development and currently has my interest. Not just with the recent chapters of the Nest Arc, but his character introduction was quite well done. He really show's how a slayer shouldn't be, but has moments of humanity then those moments being ripped away. Especially with the last chapter oh my what a small short panel showing that oh so sly moment licking his lips. Siu kinda showed thru early narrative that a slayer was a zahad killer, usually an irregular, but that was just about it. How they do it, how they are selected, what kind of powers they have, and motives all intertwining with each other, and using Bam as a staple wall to bounce these ideas back off of what a slayer really should be. I mean, is Bam really a good guy? He's single handedly starting a war for his own personal goals right now, and despite the narrative and the shown evils of zahad family, I kinda have to think back on the bigger picture, isn't zahad himself the good guy? He's a fully realised darth vader and emporer palpatine incarnate, he brought peace and order, a system to climb, a union of civilizations and worlds, and just sits there and chills. He's sure as hell got some character development with only a few pages of him actually being present in the present. And then there's Wangnan, wtf has this guy been up to? Why does he look exactly like zahad and why does he have his ring and how he's bro's with karaka. what a perfect storm we are entering... and only on floor 50something out of 134.

A Slayer isn't an irregular. Baam is the only irregular in FUG and that's why he's so dang important to them.

The rest of the Slayers seem to have some sort of unique power associated with them that gives them a potential avenue for growth and strength that could make them challenge the family heads. Obviously the one's we're seeing aren't even CLOSE to as strong as a family head yet, but White can obviously power up infinitely just given more and more souls. Karaka has his weird Zahard connection and unique body and powers situation. Yama has the apex of transformation, a power unique to his race. But they haven't had a dozen thousand years to power up like the family heads who ALL have the most OP power of being super talented irregulars.

I assume since you can't kill the Family Heads or Zahard without being an irregular yourself you need overwhelming strength to defeat them and seal them like they did to Enne. So Slayers have to be super strong. And it seems they might have some loose correspondence to the family heads. Yama to Lo Bo Pia, White to Arie, Karaka to Zahard. Though I'd imagine Luslec would be Zahard, so I might be wrong on that front.

Wangnan and Karaka are both, most likely, Zahard's sons and have inherited some unique traits from him. Since we know the Princess system being about how Zahard can't have kids with a normal woman is a load of poo poo, and that he's happy to start a war and kill a child cuz the lady he wanted to bang didn't want to bang him so we know he's interested in sowing some oats.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Dunno if this was mentioned in the webtoon, but did the pseudo-immortality through Shinsu(?) exist in the Tower before Zahard and co. climbed it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't it gifted to them thanks to the agreement(s) made with the Floor Guardians? I think that implies that it was always something the Guardians could do, Jahad and the 10 families or not.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the 100th floor guardian is what made them immortal to all other people in the tower who aren't irregulars but its shinsu manipulation that makes you live forever. Since you can't do that without a contract then regular tower people presumably have whatever is standard lifespan for the setting

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, slayers aren't necessarily irregulars, but irregulars aren't necessarily slayers either. It's just another dynamics of the class system and how Bam kind of breaks it. Gustang was telling Bam that he had the right to stand on equal footing next to the 10 family leaders and Jahad himself, but Bam appears empathetic to everyone but them.

I can't wait for the drama between Wangnan, Karaka, and Jahad.

On the other note, was it just Jahad himself who has the immortality from regulars or him and the 10 family leaders? I am pretty sure the psuedo-immortaility through shinsoo was before Jahard as the tower existed longer than him but history only started with him. Maybe there's people who have outlived Jahad and we haven't met them... I put my money that the first one will be an Ancient.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

all family leaders are immortal except one of them who has to have tons of kids who all die young so he's immortal. V also wasn't immortal I think but arlene was?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah, Arlene was so immortal that she couldn't even kill herself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Man, I remember getting so hyped about Karaka meeting Wangnan, his 'brother', and then it feels like nothing happened.

I legit thought they would like fuse into a Super Karaka or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gologle posted:

Man, I remember getting so hyped about Karaka meeting Wangnan, his 'brother', and then it feels like nothing happened.

I legit thought they would like fuse into a Super Karaka or something.

I think Karaka is super interested in their siblings but since Wangnan didn't have proof

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-67/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=485

ToG asking the important questions: Which is better, fried or barbecue chicken?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

That reason is so dumb I actually enjoyed it. loving chicken embezzling, what the hell.

Though I guess pulling the "I'm a high ranker and I'll just kill you if you don't give helping us a shot" maneuver probably helped, too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was really more like he gave him all the reasons to come along.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sindai posted:

It was really more like he gave him all the reasons to come along.

The Arson, Murder, and JAYWALKING manuever.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If he gets reported for embezzlement, where is he going to get the money for his 50 chicken/day fix?

Bit weird to see Augusgus call him 'Love' though, even if it's his name.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There may not be a right answer to whether fried or barbecue chicken is better

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the way, I do believe that the next chapter is the last one before we enter the hiatus.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
It's Sous Vide Chicken. Then fried. Then BBQ.

Change my mind!

also

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, Arlene was so immortal that she couldn't even kill herself.

Does this mean there's a good chance she's still alive?

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 22, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If I ever start a business, I'm going to follow Augusgus's example of how to blackmail your employees tbh

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003

Gologle posted:

If I ever start a business, I'm going to follow Augusgus's example of how to blackmail your employees tbh

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I get huge "Augusgus is the guy who killed Love's parents" vibes from that whole sequence.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Holy Queef posted:

It's Sous Vide Chicken. Then fried. Then BBQ.

Change my mind!

also

Does this mean there's a good chance she's still alive?

I wouldn't say it's a good chance but it's certainly a chance.

I still find it kind of odd enryu did something jahad wasn't capable of and didn't just go beat jahad himself

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

I wouldn't say it's a good chance but it's certainly a chance.

I still find it kind of odd enryu did something jahad wasn't capable of and didn't just go beat jahad himself

We don't actually know if Jahad couldn't beat an Administrator. But they largely seem to be on his side so it might've never come up. It's also possible that Enryu beating the Administrator took way, way more out of him than we are led to believe and that's why he's not active. Or there's some Axis-like limitation going on here that supercedes Enryu. Tons of weird poo poo I could imagine.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
There's also the fact that Enryu trashed the 43rd floor in Arlene's name. He might also knew of Bam and the destiny forced upon him when he left the thorn for him, or at least someone more suited than him. It could also be him not being able to use the thorn, hiding, or being incapacitated like you said. So many possible variables surround the #2 guy. I don't know if he'll make an appearance in the present or not either but we got plenty of floors to go, especially the 77th. Bam was invited indirectly by Yuri on the floor of test so there's gotta be some relevant backstory payoff when he reaches there, about Arlene, Enryu or maybe a longshot, Phantaminum. Then I see Phantaminum met Yuri when he broke into the inner palace, maybe prompting her to meet this new irregular entering the tower. "Phantaminum could instantly destroy the Tower of God story if he wanted to" yet chose to only talk with Jahad at the end of his journey, and he's older than the entire story, and maybe never making an appearance.

Siu has a definite plan to end ToG but it all of the tower being just a cog in his overarching story. What a brag it would be if he and another author were collaborating in secret for an ultimate crossover.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh I have no doubt that he had both the beginning and the ending of Tower of God in mind from the very start, it's not unusual for authors to have those things in mind from the get go. It's the journey from Point A to Point B where the author gets to surprise even himself. I am interested in more Enryu, but even more than that, I just finally want to see Wolhaiksong at the 77th Floor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SIU himself has said it's best to just forget Phantaminum exists or has ever been discussed in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

We don't actually know if Jahad couldn't beat an Administrator. But they largely seem to be on his side so it might've never come up. It's also possible that Enryu beating the Administrator took way, way more out of him than we are led to believe and that's why he's not active. Or there's some Axis-like limitation going on here that supercedes Enryu. Tons of weird poo poo I could imagine.

SIU has stated that Jahad wouldn';t be able to kill a guardian but your second point isn't something i thought about

The Holy Queef posted:

There's also the fact that Enryu trashed the 43rd floor in Arlene's name. He might also knew of Bam and the destiny forced upon him when he left the thorn for him, or at least someone more suited than him. It could also be him not being able to use the thorn, hiding, or being incapacitated like you said. So many possible variables surround the #2 guy. I don't know if he'll make an appearance in the present or not either but we got plenty of floors to go, especially the 77th. Bam was invited indirectly by Yuri on the floor of test so there's gotta be some relevant backstory payoff when he reaches there, about Arlene, Enryu or maybe a longshot, Phantaminum. Then I see Phantaminum met Yuri when he broke into the inner palace, maybe prompting her to meet this new irregular entering the tower. "Phantaminum could instantly destroy the Tower of God story if he wanted to" yet chose to only talk with Jahad at the end of his journey, and he's older than the entire story, and maybe never making an appearance.

Siu has a definite plan to end ToG but it all of the tower being just a cog in his overarching story. What a brag it would be if he and another author were collaborating in secret for an ultimate crossover.

SIU has also said that enryu will appear later on in the present story which would make sense because its the only real way Bam will find out everything relating to his parents