Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

World Famous W posted:

Either the simplest childrens tune or a masterpiece every time. No inbetween

The music being a masterpiece to go along with the most basic lyrics seems really on brand for Elan's characterization lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
There's a folksong that starts out "Black, black, black is the color of my true love's hair..." I always hear Elan's song to that tune, except with a fourth 'black' added, and then the rest of the words all sung really quickly and awkwardly to make all their syllables fill out the rest of the line even though there are far too many of them.

So pretty much exactly the same as the "Row, row, row, row... nowsticktoomanysyllablesintothisline" approach, but with a different folksong as the base.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lychnis posted:

There's a folksong that starts out "Black, black, black is the color of my true love's hair..." I always hear Elan's song to that tune, except with a fourth 'black' added, and then the rest of the words all sung really quickly and awkwardly to make all their syllables fill out the rest of the line even though there are far too many of them.

So pretty much exactly the same as the "Row, row, row, row... nowsticktoomanysyllablesintothisline" approach, but with a different folksong as the base.

I'm now imagining a reedy bard singing "Black no. 1" by type O negative. This has improved my day slightly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Only somewhat relevant, but something I found amusing. Animate Objects, man, it's a hell of a spell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lychnis posted:

but you dont have to do that, you can just have another row sung the same as the first two and then do the rest of the song as normal

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

World Famous W posted:

Either the simplest childrens tune or a masterpiece every time. No inbetween
Oh yeah. It's 100% "Bluff, bluff, bluff, bluffthestupidogre" but when he pulls out something like this

Even non-country fans are like "drat"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
new one

I think there's a lot redcloak doesn't know about how gods operate.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

new one

It isn't that he doesn't, if he actually sat down an' thought about it which he did right here, it makes sense. He's just been so busy and caught up in his plans and dealing with plots and plots within plots that he gets easily caught up in the moment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

It isn't that he doesn't, if he actually sat down an' thought about it which he did right here, it makes sense. He's just been so busy and caught up in his plans and dealing with plots and plots within plots that he gets easily caught up in the moment.

Not that. I mean the fact that the gods can't send an archon or a Deva or whatever

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone else wondering what that scroll Redcloak took from a Bugbear behind a building away from Xykon might be?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I like how Durkon is just not scared at all. He clearly has an exit plan.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The only divine spells he can't cast would be written on stone tablets, so I'm guessing a mundane message of some kind

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Not that. I mean the fact that the gods can't send an archon or a Deva or whatever

Again, he probably does know, but is too caught up with things that his expectations and what he knows may not be aligned.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Anyone else wondering what that scroll Redcloak took from a Bugbear behind a building away from Xykon might be?

Probably just an intelligence report/scouts.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, so who's going to ruin things now, the Order or Xykon?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, exits this mortal coil straight to Valhalla

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ZearothK posted:

Redcloak's paranoid distrust of everything outside The Plan

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Redcloak grew up in a world where he knows the gods specificly created him and his entire race to be fodder for their followers and then murdered the one goblin that pulled himself up by the bootstraps. The idea that these guys now want to negotiate is legitimately surprising to him.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

He doesn't want to FAIL, to be sure, but worst case scenario, he's gonna end up in Valhalla again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ZearothK posted:

Yes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Capfalcon posted:

Redcloak grew up in a world where he knows the gods specificly created him and his entire race to be fodder for their followers and then murdered the one goblin that pulled himself up by the bootstraps. The idea that these guys now want to negotiate is legitimately surprising to him.

He doesn't want to FAIL, to be sure, but worst case scenario, he's gonna end up in Valhalla again.

Yeah, I expect Redcloak and TDO to initially distrust this but it's actually a whole new card they didn't know they had

e: What i think will come in the short term is that Durkon and Redcloak will talk and Durkon will leave and Redcloak will not tell Xykon about this while he thinks about what to do

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 22, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, exits this mortal coil straight to Valhalla

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, but it's still risky as gently caress because Durkon's more or less the best shot at getting the purple energy the gods need to preserve the world. If he bites it here and now, I sincerely doubt Minrah can raise him, and the Order doesn't have the time or ability to backtrack to a cleric who can.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I figure if things go south, Durkon will just cast Word of Recall to go back to the airship, which ought to still be idling nearby.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure Durkon has contingencies in place for if Redcloak turns hostile. He definitely has Minrah waiting in the wings in case she needs to swoop in, and I'd wager he has Word of Recall prepared as his first line of defense.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Durkon actually preparing appropriate spells would really signify his character growth.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, we've seen Haley, V and Belkar grow into team players, Elan making actual contributions in both combat and non-banter conversation, and Roy actually leading his band of misfits by trusting them and playing to their strengths instead of bowling over them. It's Durkon's time to shine.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Durkon had an entire book dedicated to his character arc, he's shined a lot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This strip does an excellent job of reminding us how dangerous Redcloak is. He faces Durkon head on, absolutely confident in his ability. He's often placed next to shorter characters, but here, he gets to loom. He crowds our hero, Durkon, nearly out of the frame. This is Good Stuff.

It also reminded me that Redcloak very, very high level. He's got 9th level spells, so he's at least level 17. He may have leveled up while clearing the dungeons, too: even Xykon got some XP.

Makes me wonder if Redcloak is, perhaps, the highest-level cleric on the planet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Durkon had an entire book dedicated to his character arc, he's shined a lot.

I still love that the main Crux of his "arc" was that it happened in the past and he'd already come to terms with it

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They're in the realm of the Northern Gods. If poo poo goes sideways Thor can step in without too much trouble. If it gets the attention of The Dark One, then they can maybe have a face to face chat about the whole 'stopping the Snarl' thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

nimby posted:

They're in the realm of the Northern Gods. If poo poo goes sideways Thor can step in without too much trouble. If it gets the attention of The Dark One, then they can maybe have a face to face chat about the whole 'stopping the Snarl' thing.

Thor and The Dark One can't hug it out. If they meet, they'll create a two-color Snarl. I doubt Thor is going to engage in divine intervention to save Durkon, either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, I expect Redcloak and TDO to initially distrust this but it's actually a whole new card they didn't know they had

e: What i think will come in the short term is that Durkon and Redcloak will talk and Durkon will leave and Redcloak will not tell Xykon about this while he thinks about what to do

What I like about this is that looking at it logically from a different perspective. This is basically exactly the result TDO/Redcloak wanted, except a lot sooner! This was in essence always the plan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the possibility that Durkon is unhesitating and not afraid not because of confidence in contingencies, but because he's on a mission from god and his own safely is simply irrelevant to him right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

There's also the possibility that Durkon is unhesitating and not afraid not because of confidence in contingencies, but because he's on a mission from god and his own safely is simply irrelevant to him right now.
That sounds way more like Durkon, and would also explain why he walked through the gaping loophole Roy left to talk to Redcloak.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

MikeJF posted:

I think it’s partly that and partly that he’s still so completely clueless about other people’s motivations that he really doesn’t perceive how much danger he’s in.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, even if Roy explicitly told him not to do exactly this, I’d figure that he’d consider a directive of “it’d be a really good idea to covertly approach Redcloak” from Thor to take the highest precedence.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yep. Durkon is a member of the Church of Thor before he's a member of the Order of the Stick. Of course Durkon's going to survive this. The big question is how Roy's going to take finding out that Durkon gave away their presence.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

It’s super neat to see how intimidating Redcloak is in this scene, you don’t get to see that side of him very much and especially in such a physical way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think the last time we got to see Redcloak this menacing was when he murdered Tsukiko after she found out about the truth behind The Plan.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 22, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thor and The Dark One can't hug it out. If they meet, they'll create a two-color Snarl. I doubt Thor is going to engage in divine intervention to save Durkon, either.

Durkon might be able to cast Summon Proxy. Thor won't be able to listen to Redcloak, but Redcloak can listen to him and that might at least convince him to prepare the same spell on the next day. He would definitely demand that Durkon stay as a hostage, though.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

new one

"You... know my name?" I feel like him just calling you "Redcloak" isn't enough of an indication of that, since it's top three nicknames someone would come up for you if they didn't know your real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

"You... know my name?" I feel like him just calling you "Redcloak" isn't enough of an indication of that, since it's top three nicknames someone would come up for you if they didn't know your real name.

Also it's explicitly not his name, now that I think about it