Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ronmortgageguy/status/1270836465702965248?s=19

Note that this guy is bearish overall and thinks their customers are nuts but has to grant what he sees happening is happening right now.

Re: replies thinking it's to beat CMHC rules...

Not a chance - you can't close that fast on a purchase that requires a mortgage.

Vancouver housing Twitter has a few people getting excited about listings rising who forget that there's a lag before sales are reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sassafras posted:

https://twitter.com/ronmortgageguy/status/1270836465702965248?s=19

Note that this guy is bearish overall and thinks their customers are nuts but has to grant what he sees happening is happening right now.

Re: replies thinking it's to beat CMHC rules...

Not a chance - you can't close that fast on a purchase that requires a mortgage.

Vancouver housing Twitter has a few people getting excited about listings rising who forget that there's a lag before sales are reported.

So if it's not trying to beat the CMHC rule changes, what's driving it?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

So if it's not trying to beat the CMHC rule changes, what's driving it?

All-time low interest rates, a low likelihood of imminent increases, low supply of "nice, livable houses", and the familiar song of asset price inflation as amply demonstrated in the stock market.

The difficulty for most people to assemble the required down payment is really all that limits things to the < 2m segment, IMO, so people can trumpet falling averages on the places dropping from 4m to 3m, but those properties are largely irrelevant.

The wealthy (rare individuals, hedge funds, pension plans) can effectively borrow infinite money for free at this point, I think the worst case outcome is that you see them buying up assets (land, sometimes with decrepit houses attached) when they become slightly distressed.

Anyway, punching my numbers into this rent vs buy calculator certainly tells me to BUY BUY BUY at these rates. Other than very slightly due to an inability to input full closing costs (BC PTT), it doesn't seem like it's biased that way, either!

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

My mother in law just got accepted offers 100k over asking for home in exurbs. Getting hopeful that she might be able to pass the yet unexploded grenade and drastically downsize right before retiring.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sassafras posted:

All-time low interest rates, a low likelihood of imminent increases, low supply of "nice, livable houses", and the familiar song of asset price inflation as amply demonstrated in the stock market.

The difficulty for most people to assemble the required down payment is really all that limits things to the < 2m segment, IMO, so people can trumpet falling averages on the places dropping from 4m to 3m, but those properties are largely irrelevant.

The wealthy (rare individuals, hedge funds, pension plans) can effectively borrow infinite money for free at this point, I think the worst case outcome is that you see them buying up assets (land, sometimes with decrepit houses attached) when they become slightly distressed.

Anyway, punching my numbers into this rent vs buy calculator certainly tells me to BUY BUY BUY at these rates. Other than very slightly due to an inability to input full closing costs (BC PTT), it doesn't seem like it's biased that way, either!

That calculator is really sensitive to small changes. I enter in what it would cost to buy the place I rent, with current property taxes and assessment values. If appreciation is 2% (which hasn't been the case in the last three years) I would never break even over the life of the 25 year mortgage. But increase that to 3%, break-even in four years. That is nuts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

That calculator is really sensitive to small changes. I enter in what it would cost to buy the place I rent, with current property taxes and assessment values. If appreciation is 2% (which hasn't been the case in the last three years) I would never break even over the life of the 25 year mortgage. But increase that to 3%, break-even in four years. That is nuts.

Yes that's how exponential growth works and why most of those "rent or buy" calculators are not useful.

"Is the value of your house going to double over the next three years (or whatever)? If yes, then you should buy the house, if not, maybe not!" Thanks for using my Rent or Buy calculator! :tipshat:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
At this point I can't even imagine what kind of effect the roller coaster ride of doom that is the American economy will have on our own economy let alone our housing sector.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

With the reluctance to post an economic update, Parliament has similar thoughts.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dreylad posted:

At this point I can't even imagine what kind of effect the roller coaster ride of doom that is the American economy will have on our own economy let alone our housing sector.

You need about 350lbs of rice per person to survive a year. With the size of a 20lb bag, I don't think most Canadians possess sufficient storage capacity.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Rime posted:

You need about 350lbs of rice per person to survive a year. With the size of a 20lb bag, I don't think most Canadians possess sufficient storage capacity.

I don't want to eat 350 pounds of rice!!!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Just do it a little bit at a time.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
This thread's about the US, but I wonder how strongly the same trend exists here with our lower levels of pestilence and utter dearth of secondary cities (other than the prairies).

https://twitter.com/glennkelman/status/1271529298445217792?s=19

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Completely anecdotally in Whistler there have been 43 properties added to the market in the last ten days, 31 in the last seven.

This is a place with 340 properties for sale total.

In the last seven days 1 property has sold.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CocoaNuts posted:

Throw in a lifetime supply of chicken bouillon cubes so I can turn it into a ghetto risotto and I'll be fine.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
We get some data from the realtor who puts a flyer in everyone's mailbox out here in Whitby and only April seems to have seen a real dip in home sales. Everything's pretty much similar to last year.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

quote:

"We are facing the biggest correction in the housing market we have seen since the 1890s," Mr Alexander said. In the decade following a major property boom in the 1880s, house prices in some areas fell more than 50 per cent.

"When we did the [2015] inquiry the two triggers that we could see that would correct the market was either an increase in interest rates ... or a higher level of unemployment where people can't pay rent, people won't be able to pay their mortgages," he said.

"I don't want [the public] to lose their investments, I don't want them to lose their home and I don't want the banks to go under and, in turn, I don't want the government to then have to shoulder the combination of all of those events."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/use-super-to-offset-mortgages-liberal-mp-calls-for-housing-changes-20200612-p551vp.html

In Australia, this politician is openly suggesting that the country can't afford to let their housing bubble burst. At least he's honest!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HookShot posted:

Completely anecdotally in Whistler there have been 43 properties added to the market in the last ten days, 31 in the last seven.

This is a place with 340 properties for sale total.

In the last seven days 1 property has sold.

It's not anecdotal, it's a fact, word has gotten around that properties are getting multiple offers again and every shitlord is trying to unload.

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1270480206608785408

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blue Jays player, coach refuse to pay rent for Toronto condos blaming COVID-19.

CBC posted:

... [boring intro] ...

"A basic assumption under which the lease was entered into was that there would be a baseball season and that Mr. Tellez would play for the Toronto Blue Jays," wrote Michelle Austin Pamies, a Fort Lauderdale lawyer.
Toronto landlord Linda Pinizzotto says Toronto Blue Jays player Ryan Tellez owes thousands of dollar in rent. (Jonathan Castell/CBC News)

A provision in the contract appears to show that if Tellez was traded or sent down to the minor leagues in another city, either his new team would make the rent payments, or if a suitable replacement tenant could be found, Pinizzotto could lease the condo out to someone else.

Pinizzotto said Tellez has neither been traded, nor sent down to the minors.

She said her losses continue to pile up.

"He's obligated to pay his rent; I still have to pay the mortgage and the taxes and the maintenance fees and so on. And on top of that I have the wifi, the cable and the hydro."

:crocodile weeping while playing tiny violin:

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/janetbrown980/status/1273360789370318849?s=21

I want the value of my house to go up, regardless of the cost to labor and everything else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

half cocaine posted:

https://twitter.com/janetbrown980/status/1273360789370318849?s=21

I want the value of my house to go up, regardless of the cost to labor and everything else.

He sure didn't ask me!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

He sure didn't ask me!

He specifically mentioned one of my weed projects as an economic development pillar, so John Horgan is back to being OK

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1273652209960587270?s=21

Good Twitter thread.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

This is awesome. Evan Sidall kicking the rear end of the real estate cartel. About bloody time.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I was walking through Granville Street tonight. Interestingly, it seems a lot of bars are not taking the whole 50% capacity and mandated distancing thing seriously. Peered into a couple and they seemed very busy. I could see Vancouver's covid cases getting pretty high.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

qhat posted:

I was walking through Granville Street tonight. Interestingly, it seems a lot of bars are not taking the whole 50% capacity and mandated distancing thing seriously. Peered into a couple and they seemed very busy. I could see Vancouver's covid cases getting pretty high.

Didn't they get rid of the 50% capacity limit, and as long as you could maintain 6 feet it's fine? Or were they just planning on doing that soon?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1275155422551379968

Trump has signed a lot of executive orders that don't really stick, but just in case anyone thinks that our low low April immigration numbers were anything other than a pandemic-induced flash in the pan and they won't make up for lost time later...

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Sassafras posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1275155422551379968

Trump has signed a lot of executive orders that don't really stick, but just in case anyone thinks that our low low April immigration numbers were anything other than a pandemic-induced flash in the pan and they won't make up for lost time later...

I'm so loving relieved right now, my employer has been shipping us across the border willy-nilly, letters in hand to avoid quarantine on either side. This prevents me from obtaining a work visa at all and keeps me in Canada until next year, thank god.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeahhh a bunch of America businesses are going to lose their poo poo. No way this survives a court challenge.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Trump is just protecting the foreign workers from covid. All hail President Trump.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rime posted:

I'm so loving relieved right now, my employer has been shipping us across the border willy-nilly, letters in hand to avoid quarantine on either side. This prevents me from obtaining a work visa at all and keeps me in Canada until next year, thank god.

Unless they find an exception for you to get a TN, which doesn't seem to be included in the lists I've seen.

Prob because it's an international treaty thing.

Honestly though in tech this is just going to result in a fuckload more offshoring and maybe some new regional offices opening up outside the US.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 23, 2020

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Unless they find an exception for you to get a TN, which doesn't seem to be included in the lists I've seen.

Honestly though in tech this is just going to result in a fuckload more offshoring and maybe some new regional offices opening up outside the US.

Monterrey and Vancouver/Toronto will pick up the slack

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I specifically fall under the 1L-B for intercompany transfers cross border, I'm safe. I build wind turbines I'm not getting a TN.

Unless they just send me for "training" for a few months, of course.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Before these forums get shut down: Has there been any talk or news in Canadian Politics about student loan debt forgiveness in response to COVID-19, aside from the suspension of payments/interest?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

It's not anecdotal, it's a fact, word has gotten around that properties are getting multiple offers again and every shitlord is trying to unload.

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1270480206608785408

And two weeks later:

https://twitter.com/ZealtySearch/status/1274401603861110784

https://twitter.com/ZealtySearch/status/1275624202884636673

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 24, 2020

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Real world: Unemployment at all-time highs, 15% of insured mortgages in deferral, immigration completely shut down, rents falling and second wave of covid looming
Real estate world: Best sales since ever

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

qhat posted:

Real world: Unemployment at all-time highs, 15% of insured mortgages in deferral, immigration completely shut down, rents falling and second wave of covid looming
Real estate world: Best sales since ever

It's insane. The housing bubble will outlast these dying forums. Nothing can kill Canadian housing and we are all fools for doubting it. Sad but true

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
or the insane concentration of capital in the hands of the few means that when vast swathes of people sudden need to sell their homes at a loss, rather than a lack of buyers we're going to see entire neighborhoods owned by very few people

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The housing bubble never ends.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JawKnee posted:

or the insane concentration of capital in the hands of the few means that when vast swathes of people sudden need to sell their homes at a loss, rather than a lack of buyers we're going to see entire neighborhoods owned by very few people

We're going to see the largest transfer of lands into private equity and ultra-wealthy hands in centuries, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rime posted:

We're going to see the largest transfer of lands into private equity and ultra-wealthy hands in centuries, yes.

Biggest since the last one, anyways. And the one before that.