Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

In It For The Tank posted:

By putting Abby murdering Joel first, they permanently turned much of the audience (if the general user reaction is to be believed) against her. Try as they might, walking back from that and earning the audience's empathy requires much better writing than what they gave us. So, since they were committed to the ill-advised dual-protagonist story structure, a better option probably would have been to just tell Abby's story first and make the audience root for her until they pull the rug out from under you and then switch to Ellie.

I don’t buy this. Abby was the much more interesting and empathetic character. A lot of the backlash I’m seeing is literally people on Reddit saying Joel was a “father figure” for them which is loving weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

In It For The Tank posted:

Assuming that we can't just axe the story and start again from scratch, a potentially more interesting way to tell the same story while maintaining the unusual non-linear, multi-protagonist story structure would be to start with Abby on Seattle Day 1.

Things proceed like the game but explicit references to Joel's murder would be removed so Abby and her friends only vaguely reference recently tracking down some evil bastard and taking revenge. Intersperse the story with scenes with Abby and her dad showing how much they love each other, which gradually hint more and more that he was the Firefly surgeon until it is revealed just before you get to the theatre on Day 3. There, you confront Ellie and you're like "woah wtf".

Then time rewinds to show Ellie's story and you see Abby and her friends, who you have presumably grown to like in the first half of the game, brutally torture and kill Joel. The game proceeds with Ellie's perspective and you end the game with her putting her switchblade through Abby's heart in the theatre and cut out the unnecessary coda with the Rattlers. Or not, who cares.

By putting Abby murdering Joel first, they permanently turned much of the audience (if the general user reaction is to be believed) against her. Try as they might, walking back from that and earning the audience's empathy requires much better writing than what they gave us. So, since they were committed to the ill-advised dual-protagonist story structure, a better option probably would have been to just tell Abby's story first and make the audience root for her until they pull the rug out from under you and then switch to Ellie.

this. but i also think alot of the stuff would have worked better if the stuff hadnt leaked. espcially since the leaks didnt really get everything or even the real ending.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Danger posted:

I don’t buy this. Abby was the much more interesting and empathetic character. A lot of the backlash I’m seeing is literally people on Reddit saying Joel was a “father figure” for them which is loving weird as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pG7Wc5TUTA&t

he isnt even really a good one though. thats more geralt and such.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Danger posted:

No, I totally didn't give a poo poo about Abby. And I thought Joel earned a bullet for the terrible things he did in his life. It's just that this carries over to, say, the woman that brutally tortured a man to death in front of his loved ones. Joel earned his, she earned hers. I don't care about her tragic backstory and how she's a decent person under it all. You don't get to beat a man's head in in front of his family and pretend you get a life after. You don't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mulva posted:

No, I totally didn't give a poo poo about Abby. And I thought Joel earned a bullet for the terrible things he did in his life. It's just that this carries over to, say, the woman that brutally tortured a man to death in front of his loved ones. Joel earned his, she earned hers. I don't care about her tragic backstory and how she's a decent person under it all. You don't get to beat a man's head in in front of his family and pretend you get a life after. You don't.

yeah. i never liked joel and his answer to them is basicaly gives a "it was a tuesday" type answer to them because he has hosed over THAT many people. the dude was a piece of poo poo who died inside when his daughter died and has been paying it forward for decades. abby and he friends also have it coming as well to varying degrees.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Danger posted:

Did we watch scenes of violence Abby committed? She's definitely a massive piece of poo poo imo

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Mulva posted:

Out of curiosity, you do feel that Ellie absolutely deserves death for the damage done by her quest for revenge too right? I can see why that way of thinking would absolutely sour me on this game too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i never liked joel and his answer to them is basicaly gives a "it was a tuesday" type answer to them because he has hosed over THAT many people. the dude was a piece of poo poo who died inside when his daughter died and has been paying it forward for decades. abby and he friends also have it coming as well to varying degrees.

he seemed to cool down in Jackson though, he seemed to have been a pillar of the community and helped a lot of people in the 4 years he lived there. I guess it's a question of whether or not you believe he deserved a chance at redemption for what he's done

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SIGSEGV posted:

For me it's less about the retcon thing and more about how the writing of the old game tripped itself so badly it completely changed the intended ending and the new game is trying to sell itself on its deep and thoroughly mind stimulating writing. If I'm going to go in, I'll be at least quite skeptical.

well that's the thing for me - i don't really see it as them loving up the intended ending because i was never bothered by the stuff we discussed in the first place.

the "but could they have found the cure at all" doesn't even matter that much because the way i see it, the morality of Joel's actions is determined by what he himself knew at the moment, and there's zero indication that he was acting out of anything but wanting to have Ellie back even though, as far as he knew, it would be dooming humanity or at least taking away humanity's hope to have protection from the parasite

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I haven’t played the game yet, but everything I see discussed about the story makes it seem like the writers felt that people didn’t get the point from the first game. It seems like a pretty accepted, uncontroversial reading of the game that Joel was a morally murky character. That game wasn’t especially subtle in being critical of Joel and his motives, but to hear this game described it just sounds like it beats you over the head for 30 hours with “IT WAS ACTUALLY BAD HE KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE AND CREATED CYCLES OF VIOLENCE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS, DO YOU UNDERSTAND??”

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 23, 2020

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

General Dog posted:

I haven’t played the game yet, but everything I see discussed about the story makes it seem like

Every post that has begun like this has been followed by a bad take

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Do you have to go even farther in making it sound bad? Like he can't even be allowed a father's love as a motivation, it has to be some demented helicopter parent pathology. I think that's the main disconnect for people, it seems like there's an unwarranted viciousness for a traditionally sympathetic human instinct.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Government posted:

After sleeping on it, the pacing of the game really soured my feelings towards a good chunk of it. Mostly in a "what could have been" sort of way because I really did love both the presentation and gameplay. I was thinking a doing a long ol post about it but after watching/reading some other takes of people who've beaten the game, CohhCarnage(twitch streamer) kinda sums up what i was going to say anyways.

Timestamped
https://twitch.tv/videos/658091649?t=13005s

im seriously baffled by the number of perfect reviews it's getting. either those critics never read a book before, or they were blinded by the graphics or something. its just weird.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not a fan of the game but I will say the accessibility options are out of this world and more games should have stuff like it

this is extremely true and probably the biggest triumph.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Every post that has begun like this has been followed by a bad take

I for sure still plan to play it, so perhaps I will achieve enlightenment.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CharlestonJew posted:

he seemed to cool down in Jackson though, he seemed to have been a pillar of the community and helped a lot of people in the 4 years he lived there. I guess it's a question of whether or not you believe he deserved a chance at redemption for what he's done

I think he deserved a chance at redemption (and got it, really), but also he deserved having people come after him for the stuff he's done in the past. Turning over a new leaf doesn't absolve one of their past sins or obligates anyone to forgive them. The kind of life he lead often ends tragically and violently, if anything the fact that he got to have 4 years of relative peace in a safe community where he had friends and a family is probably much more than what a person in his situation could hope to get.

General Dog posted:

I haven’t played the game yet, but everything I see discussed about the story makes it seem like the writers felt that people didn’t get the point from the first game. It seems like a pretty accepted, uncontroversial reading of the game that Joel was a morally murky character. That game wasn’t especially subtle in being critical of Joel and his motives, but to hear this game described it just sounds like it beats you over the head for 30 hours with “IT WAS ACTUALLY BAD HE KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE AND CREATED CYCLES OF VIOLENCE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS, DO YOU UNDERSTAND??”

lots of people legit didn't get that Joel is a bad, or at least morally complicated person

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

RottenK posted:

well that's the thing for me - i don't really see it as them loving up the intended ending because i was never bothered by the stuff we discussed in the first place.

the "but could they have found the cure at all" doesn't even matter that much because the way i see it, the morality of Joel's actions is determined by what he himself knew at the moment, and there's zero indication that he was acting out of anything but wanting to have Ellie back even though, as far as he knew, it would be dooming humanity or at least taking away humanity's hope to have protection from the parasite

The thing that makes it bad is that he steps into a hospital that is lovely beyond belief with people doing critical experiments in grimy glassware with ivy and dead leaves invading their workspaces because they don't bother cleaning up and he actually believes even a single thing of what they say about experimental results.

In TLOU1 it was ambiguous, so you could have Joel be a sane person in your internal picture of the story, now you can't and that's worse writing, because while before the viewer could ignore the stupid poo poo ideas and make a story that worked, now they can't. They messed up their ending, but in a way that let them get away with it, now to get away with it we need to have every single character be a loving idiot.

Which, to be fair, they are, but I'm still gonna call it bad writing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I always took it for granted that Joel believed he’d done a terrible thing, otherwise why lie to Ellie about it? I think that’s what makes it a good ending, is how at the end they really seem to see each other, and they come to a silent agreement that “okay, we’re going to agree we can live with this and move on with our lives.”

In the end you (the player) can understand and accept that Joel has maybe done something unforgivable while still being “glad” that Joel saved Ellie, because while they may have doomed the world (or at least believe they did), your emotional investment is only in those characters, and not in the rest of that fictional world. In that sense, it puts you in Joel’s shoes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SwoleNerd posted:

Sorry for dredging this back up but the issue I have with Abby letting Ellie and Tommy live is that she doesnt think theyll come after her the way she went after Joel and its just stupid. At no point in the scene does she think boy I sure hope this woman who is clearly emotionally attached to Joel and his clearly capable brother dont make getting revenge their single all consuming goal in life the way I did.

I think the tone of that scene also and the way were introduced to Abby and the rest doesnt do the game any favours either. In the scene Abby & Friends are painted as villains. Its the game setting them up as the antagonists and it doesnt really do anything to suggest otherwise. Our introduction to them has them talking about going after a peaceful settlement where we see children playing in the snow, they deliberately do this so that the switch over to playing as Abby has more of a shocking impact on the player and I think this totally undermines what they were going for and is why were seeing people (who arent right wing losers incapable of empathy) have such an intense dislike of Abby and her gang. This is fine and I think you can absolutely have a story where a character who is initially painted as an antagonist is explored more and the audience comes to like them but its a tricky thing to do and when you go out of your way to tell your audience look, this person is the antagonist! Dont you hate them? Dont you want to get revenge? You cant be surprised when they dont get on board with your attempts to redeem the character you told them they should be against.

The funny thing is you can easily address this and give us a much needed insight into Abbys character just by having one of her crew say we kill these witnesses and have her say something like no, Im not an indiscriminate killer like he was It at the very least would address these two issues that in personally having a hard time overlooking.

they chose to have owen be that character and then they have us kill him. it's ridiculous

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

how does that comic still exist

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pretty much

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Sir Tonk posted:

im seriously baffled by the number of perfect reviews it's getting. either those critics never read a book before, or they were blinded by the graphics or something. its just weird.

I just saw someone finish it & give it a glowing review. They were blown away by realizing "ellie's missing fingers are a subtle metaphor for her mistakes". They were also stunned by the use of flashbacks being told out of order. I don't think they've played art games lol. I think the CGI is doing a lot of emotional legwork and people are being affected by that

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Danger posted:

Yea a ton of the tension came from knowing what the characters were approaching; like Abby arriving back at the aquarium.

this would have been fine if i hadnt been forced to murder everyone and the dog in there even though i knew it was pointless.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Sir Tonk posted:

this would have been fine if i hadnt been forced to murder everyone and the dog in there even though i knew it was pointless.

You realize that you are not Ellie, correct?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Danger posted:

I dont buy this. Abby was the much more interesting and empathetic character. A lot of the backlash Im seeing is literally people on Reddit saying Joel was a father figure for them which is loving weird as hell.

for real, abby is basically the only character other than owen that evolves in any way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

pretty much

it was a pretty good video but one point that stood out to me is that smaller independent games can have a stronger writing focus comparable to that of other mediums like film, but don't get those comparisons drawn by reviewers or players because they're not trying to be films. as a corollary, there are some indie titles that still strive to evoke other mediums and often with more success - kentucky route zero is 100% made in the tradition of theater and installation-art exhibits, and succeeded at it so well that it alienated a lot of people who called it slow-paced and pretentious

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 23, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FalconImpala posted:

I just saw someone finish it & give it a glowing review. They were blown away by realizing "ellie's missing fingers are a subtle metaphor for her mistakes". They were also stunned by the use of flashbacks being told out of order. I don't think they've played art games lol. I think the CGI is doing a lot of emotional legwork and people are being affected by that

unreal

its like tool fans or something

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for context: I got linked to PatStaresAt playing the game and Joel announces his first name and gets blasted in the knees for it. Pat then exclaims "wait she didn't even check if it was the right Joel!"

Is that right because that's pretty funny to think she might of just blasted some dude who happened to share the same first name.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Danger posted:

You realize that you are not Ellie, correct?

if i hadnt played the first game i could have been more into being abby, but that wasnt going to happen. i wanted to see what heppend to her character and have been waiting years. they also set it up as her being the protagonist for half the game, which they could have avoided if they had gotten over the whole raiden/snake twist they wanted to pull out ten hours in.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for context: I got linked to PatStaresAt playing the game and Joel announces his first name and gets blasted in the knees for it. Pat then exclaims "wait she didn't even check if it was the right Joel!"

Is that right because that's pretty funny to think she might of just blasted some dude who happened to share the same first name.

she says "Joel Miller" after the shotgun blast so yeah there's a possibility she might have royally messed up

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

it was a pretty good video but one point that stood out to me is that smaller independent games can have a stronger writing focus comparable to that of other mediums like film, but don't get those comparisons drawn by reviewers or players because they're not trying to be films. as a corollary, there are some indie titles that still strive to evoke other mediums and often with more success - kentucky route zero is 100% made in the tradition of theater and installation-art exhibits, and succeeded at it so well that it alienated a lot of people who called it slow-paced and pretentious

gone home had a better story that tlou2 and it took like an hour or two to finish if you were not in a hurry.

and yeah kentucky route zero was also better.

hell, i liked death stranding more than this game. like by a lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

she says "Joel Miller" after the shotgun blast so yeah there's a possibility she might have royally messed up

true facts, this was her fifth joel so far. the second one was especially awkward, they didn't realize until like a week later they'd capped him halfway through a "joel mama" joke

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gentleman Baller posted:

Out of curiosity, you do feel that Ellie absolutely deserves death for the damage done by her quest for revenge too right? I can see why that way of thinking would absolutely sour me on this game too.

When she finds out she killed a pregnant woman and kept going? Yeah. And to be clear it's the going forward part that does it. Not the killing. She didn't know before, and was defending herself. There's that moment though, when she knows what she did....and she keeps going. And there are no excuses. There's understanding, sure. It makes perfect sense because she's totally hosed up emotionally at that point, but yeah. If you don't take stock of what the hell you are doing and just barrel forward, drat the consequences, then well....you can face the consequences. It makes perfect sense that Joel ended up how he did after the world went to hell and his daughter was killed. It doesn't excuse anything he did though.

To be fair, I don't begrudge Joel his attempts at a life either. It's good that he tried to turn his life around, he tried to be better. It just doesn't absolve him from having to pay for what he did. Abby is a fine stand in from the legions of people he screwed over in his life. And had she dropped him and moved on, I'd call her morally impeccable. She had to make it hurt, had to make slow and violent, and she made his family watch. There's a period of years between what Joel did and when she catches up to him. There's all that time she's in total control of the situation with her whole posse. And she still chooses for it go down that way. Well, you want to act like a monster you get a monster's end, same as Joel. Except in her case not, because....reasons?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

So a factor in this is that he's with Tommy who is a former Firefly so seeing a Joel with Tommy is another factor in her knowing its the right person, plus she would have seen descriptions of what Joel looks like, there's factors that would indicate she probably has it right

This is the laziest type of criticism like hmm Charlize Theron should have run to the right in Prometheus therefore it's a poo poo movie, I really outsmarted it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just picked this up, any beginning gameplay tips? I did play the first game.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

RatHat posted:

Just picked this up, any beginning gameplay tips? I did play the first game.

Shoot bad guy

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FalconImpala posted:

By “CGI” do you mean like, the face capture and actor performances? Because if so I’m not exactly sure why people shouldn’t be affected by that and why it invalidates them liking the story.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having now made it as far as Joel getting splat I feel more sure saying that it’s fun, very ND gameplay, and the story grimness is more GoT than Schindler’s List.

Also while it looks really good whoever said this was a rare game this gen where the cutscenes are noticeably better than the gameplay animations for things like faces was right.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Dewgy posted:

By “CGI” do you mean like, the face capture and actor performances? Because if so I’m not exactly sure why people shouldn’t be affected by that and why it invalidates them liking the story.

Yeah regardless of what you think of the overall arc I think it's undeniable that there are individual scenes in this which are very well acted, written, and animated with impeccable graphics and direction. The combination of actor and animation work brings to life these characters more so than I've seen in any other game and yeah it's moving. Of course indie games have shown you can tell stories with minimalistic graphics but there's a sense of presence in the scenes here that I've never experienced with any other game and I don't think that's a case of being "blinded" by graphics so much as the graphics serve the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah regardless of what you think of the overall arc I think it's undeniable that there are individual scenes in this which are very well acted, written, and animated with impeccable graphics and direction. The combination of actor and animation work brings to life these characters more so than I've seen in any other game and yeah it's moving. Of course indie games have shown you can tell stories with minimalistic graphics but there's a sense of presence in the scenes here that I've never experienced with any other game and I don't think that's a case of being "blinded" by graphics so much as the graphics serve the scene

you're clapping at keys being jangled in front of your face