Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
So is it just me or is Szeras the only Necron thing in Pariah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

ffoecaf posted:

So is it just me or is Szeras the only Necron thing in Pariah

It is, but they're also getting a huge line update and likely a codex in the next couple of weeks, so putting anything in pariah would be pointless and lead to more people angrily yelling about needing to buy books.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Those Inquisition models for Pariah are... not great. The faces for each are just plain bad. The Szeras model rules though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the face on the bald inquisitor woman sucks pretty bad.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Seems like there have been a lot of bad face sculpts lately. The Valerian model really comes to mind. Not like a head swap is tough or anything, but those faces are so bad that the promo images are enough to scare me away.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are Necron Pariahs seriously not coming back in Pariah?

:skeltal::arghfist:

E: just looked at the table of contents and they're not in it. That's comedy!

moths fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

moths posted:

I’d be super bitter but knowing what release is coming I just get a chuckle out of it. Based on what they’ve been doing with a Blackstone, I’m assuming the Pariah region of space is just a null-zone area they’ve set up as a beachhead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The buffcrons are new pariahs, my uncle that works at the mechanicus said so

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pariah does seems kinda lame if you're not an Inquisitor diehard

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

moths posted:

E: just looked at the table of contents and they're not in it. That's comedy!

If they don't come back after they made the "Pariah Stars" setting in the Invictus box set/books, that's some :what:. But I have to assume they have some more models to showcase, otherwise how did they manage to overlook the utter garbage that is Flayers?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is there a way of making an effective army that combines

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Chaos Knights and Thousand Sons Sorcerors?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Do you count a tau ethereal as a space wizard?

alt question: Do you count eldar wraithknights as a stompy robot?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Space marine half of dark imperium, easy to build primaris, primaris librarian, and dreadnoughts?

Then you can always expand whenever you find a good deal on ebay. I think that fits the criteria.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Pick up the wizardest mini of your choice and run it as an inquisitor and you can instantly add space magic to any imperium army

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Eldar with wraith constructs maybe? You can get space wizards in just about any army, so imo you should start by choosing which robots you like the look of and then add space wizards from there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PinheadSlim posted:

Space marine half of dark imperium, easy to build primaris, primaris librarian, and dreadnoughts?

Then you can always expand whenever you find a good deal on ebay. I think that fits the criteria.

You can get more redemptor dreads super cheap on eBay etc. They are abundant.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't know if Chaos Daemon Engines counts as "cheap to collect" but it's definitely got both stompy robots (sort of) and space wizards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

stompy robots
space wizards
cheap-ish to collect

Dreadnoughts

Librarians

Space Marines

Grey Knights are pretty much all those things and also include Nemesis DreadKnights but their dreadnoughts are a bit shite.

Honestly if you want all three of those space marines is by far the best combination. The start set figures can usually be found cheap on ebay, librarians are good and are literally space wizards, and the new dreadnought types are pretty good and cool.

HorseBag
Oct 2, 2011
I know I'm a couple days late to the Thousand Sons party but I just finished the first of a batch of rubrics. I'm overall relatively happy with it, considering I've not painted for a while, but I couldn't get the runes to look good. Do any of you have any tips for a good way to do the runes on the sides of their guns?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
There was a post earlier about achieving a glow effect on Necron Gauss weapons earlier;. It was just bright base color, simple washes to darken the recesses for contrast, and a final pip of white on the middle of the raised bits to make it glow. I imagine the same technique may help you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you count a tau ethereal as a space wizard?

alt question: Do you count eldar wraithknights as a stompy robot?

Wraithknights are very stompy but etherals are not space wizard-y enough

Kitchner posted:

Grey Knights are pretty much all those things and also include Nemesis DreadKnights but their dreadnoughts are a bit shite.

Those dreadknights are hilariously stupid looking

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

So do I want the next book with the Inquisition stuff and Ephrael Stern if I'm playing Sisters?

Do ya wanna run your sisters with some cool wacky characters on the side? Do you want extra rules for fighting on hosed-up hellscape worlds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I understand it right, WH40K has space magic, but it is rare and comes with a huge risk of your mind exploding and everyone around you being sucked into the void if things go wrong.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I would say Orcs for the stompy robots and wizzard things with exploding heads but a no on the cheap to collect.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Could do Blood Angels. You can have stompy space wizard robots (Librarian Dreadnought). The new Mephiston model is pretty sweet too.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Am I too late for Thousand Sons? :ohdear:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thanqol posted:

Am I too late for Thousand Sons? :ohdear:

I love his not-Sylvaneth rear end.

Reminds me of the lore behind Aekold Helbrass, the champion of Tzeentch who sows flowers in his wake. Chaos needs more stuff like that.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I love his not-Sylvaneth rear end.

Reminds me of the lore behind Aekold Helbrass, the champion of Tzeentch who sows flowers in his wake. Chaos needs more stuff like that.

I absolutely love the idea of beautiful chaos. This is partly why I have an Emperor's Children army. I love the idea of something being both objectively lovely yet horrifying somehow. It's like the forest spirit in mononoke. It's majestic and beautiful, but has. A powerful presence that's kind of scary.

That character's lore is super dope, and I absolutely love the thought of that type of thing in a chaos army.

That Magnus nails both. Nice work.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Since Slaanesh is the god of excess, they could easily go the beauty route for some of the followers. I mean they had Sigvald in WHF, but they welped that setting.

I'd love to do a "rock n' roll" army using Emperor's Children. Model all the noise marines with guitars, make a daemon prince or two look like the Devil from The Pick of Destiny, poo poo like that. Maybe even hide a speaker in a Land Raider or Rhino and play some metal. Basically GWAR, the army.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
what the heck do i do with flying bases (with stems)??? am I supposed to drill holes in the bases?? i don't have a goddamn drill gw aaargh

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Those dreadknights are hilariously stupid looking

The key with the Dreadknights is to do everything in your power to not use the default poses.

The one dreadknight I have i cut the sword up and flipped it around, so instead of standing there looking stiff, he's standing there with his sword pointing downwards down while he shouts orders at people.

With the other one I spent a while loving around with the feet until I was able to raise the one foot up on some cork higher than the other, leaning the model to the left. I then made him hold the sword at and angle and it sort of looks like he's slashing at something.

I used to think they look dumb but were one of the few good units in the GK codex so I got two and after messing with their poses they have grown on me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

peer posted:

what the heck do i do with flying bases (with stems)??? am I supposed to drill holes in the bases?? i don't have a goddamn drill gw aaargh

Mostly they're meant to go with those clear plastic bases that they fit into, but otherwise yeah, you gotta drill.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Corrode posted:

Mostly they're meant to go with those clear plastic bases that they fit into, but otherwise yeah, you gotta drill.

Ohhhh, I trim off the base end and make it flat by running it on sandpaper or whitling it down with an xacto knife. Then I glue it to a base

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Kitchner posted:

The one dreadknight I have i cut the sword up and flipped it around, so instead of standing there looking stiff, he's standing there with his sword pointing downwards down while he shouts orders at people.

Kinda love the idea of making a huge exosuit just to more effectively point things out to others.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

Kinda love the idea of making a huge exosuit just to more effectively point things out to others.

Well my logic is I field them as Grand Masters in Dreadknights, and usually give one the Warlord trait that gives all units within 6" re-roll charge distances because it's got a big base. So if I assume that one of them is my warlord he's gotta give orders at some point right?

Also I will add the tiny daemonhammer they come with is dumb as gently caress and I have no idea who approved that design but they were obviously not paying attention that day.

Edit: They aren't quite finished yet (just "Battle Ready")

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 23, 2020

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
I guess Ephrael Stern does technically give faction representation to the Adepta Sororitas in Psychic Awakening ... but I don't really feel great about that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Being the biggest, carrying a sword, and not wearing a helmet is how you show the future you're in charge.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Well my logic is I field them as Grand Masters in Dreadknights, and usually give one the Warlord trait that gives all units within 6" re-roll charge distances because it's got a big base. So if I assume that one of them is my warlord he's gotta give orders at some point right?

Also I will add the tiny daemonhammer they come with is dumb as gently caress and I have no idea who approved that design but they were obviously not paying attention that day.

Edit: They aren't quite finished yet (just "Battle Ready")

Those do look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Being the biggest, carrying a sword, and not wearing a helmet is how you show the future you're in charge.

"Baby carry me closer so I can hit them with my sword"