Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

backwards 3rd place for almirola lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
that finish was very entertaining imo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
My only viewing option for this race was the Blaney incar stream, good choice NASCAR 10/10 selection

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

thanks to that 4 tire stop wallace finished behind jimmy johnson, who wrecked to bring out the caution. what a stupid call.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what a loving finish

chamois posted:

thanks to that 4 tire stop wallace finished behind jimmy johnson, who wrecked to bring out the caution. what a stupid call.

looked like he might've been out of gas and would've been at the back anyway, might as well take tires are that point

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
all them fans without masks just breaks my brain

I'm like am I watching a race from last year?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Actually good plate race? Good for Bubba.

In other news!

https://twitter.com/CassieFambro/status/1275206592158408704

I'm starting to think the NASCAR strategy here is to make this hard shift away from racism and let the racist idiots out themselves. Seems to be working in the early days.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pinecone Sample posted:

was it Almirola backwards 3rd, Jones off the wall 4th?
Speaking of running backwards at 'Dega. Did anyone else watch the ARCA race on Saturday? Michael Self got turned between turn 3 and 4 completely backwards and saved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bi4fjLjwd8

Holy gently caress, Bubba's interview afterwards. Never been more proud of NASCAR.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

looked like he might've been out of gas and would've been at the back anyway, might as well take tires are that point

yeah according to his post race interview he ran out of gas. he's been doing alright lately, glad to see it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cool finish

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/MattWeaverAW/status/1275220559421419520

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I think he's been outperforming his equipment all season. I hope he'll parlay it into a better ride.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

WindyMan posted:

Actually good plate race? Good for Bubba.

In other news!

https://twitter.com/CassieFambro/status/1275206592158408704

I'm starting to think the NASCAR strategy here is to make this hard shift away from racism and let the racist idiots out themselves. Seems to be working in the early days.

nascar has to do something and the racist fanbase is one of the huge things keeping people and most importantly sponsors away. there will never be a better time to jettison them and collect oodles of desperately needed goodwill while being one of the few sports on TV

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That finish was fantastic.

I'm shocked it went full distance, there was a point in the second stage where the museum, dirt track and I-20 were getting slammed while the race was under green.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nascar has to do something and the racist fanbase is one of the huge things keeping people and most importantly sponsors away. there will never be a better time to jettison them and collect oodles of desperately needed goodwill while being one of the few sports on TV
I kinda feel like the people who go to races and the people who view NASCAR as their culture are two completely separate groups of people. Love the first, hate the second group.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elitist Bitch posted:

I think he's been outperforming his equipment all season. I hope he'll parlay it into a better ride.
Is there a world where Bubba gets the 48?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

I doubt it, but I could see him getting a ride on a slightly better tier or parlaying any better sponsorship from all this into more RCR support.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dik Hz posted:

Maybe not the 48. But if the team has an opening, I wouldn't be surprised if Bubba would be in the consideration. With all the anti-racism going on in Nascar and potentially bringing new fans in, Bubba might be a pretty hot merchandise seller...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I Love Ryan Blaney

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/MSTheGunslinger/status/1275220115454414848?s=19

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea maybe don’t call your racist son an “amazing man”

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea maybe don’t call your racist son an “amazing man”
"Amazing man advocates for dragging Cup Driver through pit road by noose"

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Is it just me or does the Penske driver strategy seem to be bump draft the poo poo out of whoever is in front of them, as hard as possible, even if it is a teammate? It just seems like the last couple plate races those guys have been just slamming the cars in front of them, in the corners, the tri-oval, straights, teammate or not and if they wreck, gently caress 'em that's one less competitor. I know everybody goes pretty hard at the end but it just seemed to me the 2, 12, 22 and not a Penske car but the 47, were all just driving straight through people the entire race.

On the noose stuff I heard some of the local (Boston) sports radio guys talking about it today and they took the exact stance I didn't want to hear, What did you expect it's NASCAR? The entire fanbase was lumped into a bunch of redneck morons, and judging from everyone who's been reading Twitter there are definitely a lot of them but it is frustrating hearing that when all of the race fans I know are not like that at all. The hosts gave some praise to NASCAR banning the confederate flag and all of a sudden being a progressive voice where they have otherwise not commented but basically wiped it all out by saying, it's about time and what took so long? They made no mention to the possibility that any sporting in Alabama probably has a fanbase that holds pretty close values to the 'redneck NASCAR fanbase'. I honestly don't know, but, has the NCAA banned fans from flying the confederate flag at sporting events? I'd be interested to see a shot of people tailgating an Alabama/Auburn football game and see if that flag is openly flown. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roll Tide printed right on the stars and bars honestly. NASCAR is basically a southern sport and unfortunately will probably have this stigma for a long time, if not forever, but it definitely gets frustrating to be lumped into 'those people'.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

bigbillystyle posted:

Is it just me or does the Penske driver strategy seem to be bump draft the poo poo out of whoever is in front of them, as hard as possible, even if it is a teammate? It just seems like the last couple plate races those guys have been just slamming the cars in front of them, in the corners, the tri-oval, straights, teammate or not and if they wreck, gently caress 'em that's one less competitor. I know everybody goes pretty hard at the end but it just seemed to me the 2, 12, 22 and not a Penske car but the 47, were all just driving straight through people the entire race.

Keslowski seemed especially bumpy today, but I just think they were focused on Penske since they seemed the most cohesive today.

Good race, was enjoying Wallace racing the hell out of it and Blaney is a good winner.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

They’ve won 8 out of the last 12 Talladega races. Seems like they know what they’re doing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

"Amazing man advocates for dragging Cup Driver through pit road by noose"

Lmao

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Take two

https://twitter.com/MSTheGunslinger/status/1275262805818724352

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lol, it's pretty much the same as their first statement except they didn't attempt to call him an amazing person in the statement...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My large racist 35 year old adult grown man son.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

garbage tier apology. i wonder what travis kvapil and jack sprague have to say.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I'm sure Buckshot Jones has a hot take

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The highest-ranking driver I ever got to see use the n-word in person is Cale Gale

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

GD_American posted:

The highest-ranking driver I ever got to see use the n-word in person is Cale Gale

James Hunt said it live on air during a GP broadcast, however it was used in the term “friend of the family In the Woodpile”.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you thinking Derek Daly, or did they both do that?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you thinking Derek Daly, or did they both do that?

Both. James said it on a BBC broadcast - I think it was 1985.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

God I love Ryan Blaney

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/kristi_lala/status/1275445984009445380

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow I had no idea he played Jess on Gilmore Girls

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1275537836020690944?s=21