Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I agree that the Howard/Costello are hollowed out Australia, but Costello knew exactly what they were doing.

So calling him an expert is more of a condemnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

I agree that the Howard/Costello are hollowed out Australia, but Costello knew exactly what they were doing.

So calling him an expert is more of a condemnation

Yeah look this is fair, I should have been more precise and said "an expert on how to successfully respond to a recession/major economic disruption". If only there were a treasurer kicking around that had that kind of qualification. Ah well.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

A former treasurer who:
- benefitted from record mineral prices for basically his entire term
- sold off every revenue generating asset he could get his hands on at firesale prices
- built structural deficits into the economy to pork barrel olds

He’s one of the worst people you could get to present as an expert on the economy, but hey gotta have him on because “balance” or whatever dumb bullshit the ABC calls it. Helping push the Liberals economic death cult deserves getting told to gently caress off, especially when its someone like Koehler who knows exactly how full of poo poo Costello is.

I said aside from that though

Cos if your point is just the bolded bit then fair enough I guess, 'absolute wanker' still seems a bit harsh though

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I said aside from that though

Cos if your point is just the bolded bit then fair enough I guess, 'absolute wanker' still seems a bit harsh though

No, generally he is pretty good, I still stand 100% by calling him an absolute wanker.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Maybe I'll buy a flagging pub during the covid downturn and name it The Yob and Wanker.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Maybe I'll buy a flagging pub during the covid downturn and name it The Yob and Wanker.

Who’ll be the yob though

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

noice

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

generally he is pretty good

Sweet as.

Seriously recommending his podcast (the money cafe) though, for anyone who wants to know more about investing and stuff. It's pretty accessible and they take good questions, and considering the subject material they have surprisingly decent banter. I still find finance daunting and they break it down nicely

JBP posted:

Do a good vege burger and I'm there for sure

e:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Who’ll be the yob though

noice

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 22, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah look this is fair, I should have been more precise and said "an expert on how to successfully respond to a recession/major economic disruption". If only there were a treasurer kicking around that had that kind of qualification. Ah well.

huh, I am not sure I have seen Swan around much since he retired from parliament. I am sure the other half of the duo (Rudd) would chip in if asked though haha.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

huh, I am not sure I have seen Swan around much since he retired from parliament. I am sure the other half of the duo (Rudd) would chip in if asked though haha.

He'd have to briefly suspend his concession speech to do that though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Who’ll be the yob though

The first AFL player that walks by looking to invest in a pub.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gaylord is up for auction.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Or the Wayside Inn on city road

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

The first AFL player that walks by looking to invest in a pub.

Sorry to break it to you bud but many afl players today are indeed wankers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sorry to break it to you bud but many afl players today are indeed wankers

I just need them for a photo dressed in flannel they're not a speaking part

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Get two of them and all your bases will be covered.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

snoremac posted:

Yeah, that coalesces to with my brother-in-law who owns investment properties. My brother also owns investment properties and my parents did in the past. Anyway, I ruined brunch by calling their politics sociopathic and storming out. In my defense I did say can we please not talk about politics!

You would love some of the BBQs I go to.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I volunteer.

EDIT: I can bring my own Emu Export or Swan Draught

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

Lmao

I was shocked when, immediately after the bushfires debacle, they do something vaguely non-terrible for corona support and people suddenly start talking about cutting the LNP some slack, fair play, they're not so bad, etc etc, even in this thread. My people, if someone has spent forever and a day coldly choking the life out of you, and the pressure briefly lessens, they're not having a change of heart. They're changing grip.

I think they've done a good job - both on a federal level and in the states where they have power - at protecting this country from a pandemic ravaging the rest of the world. All that means is that, unlike in the US or the UK, our conservative party hasn't completely lost touch with all semblance of duty and public service. Labor would have done the same (has done the same, in states with Labor premiers) and I'd still never in a million years cast a vote for the Liberals.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

freebooter posted:

I think they've done a good job - both on a federal level and in the states where they have power - at protecting this country from a pandemic ravaging the rest of the world. All that means is that, unlike in the US or the UK, our conservative party hasn't completely lost touch with all semblance of duty and public service. Labor would have done the same (has done the same, in states with Labor premiers) and I'd still never in a million years cast a vote for the Liberals.

Taking https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus as a source as good as any:

71st - total cases
80th - total deaths
121st - cases per million (less than New Zealand)
38th - deaths per million

Given the amount of countries unable or unwilling to report accurate numbers you nudge those places up more than some.

Notwithstanding the impending military lock down of melbourne history is going to judge both liberal and labor pretty kind on this one. if anyone had to sit down and theory craft a pandemic a year ago I doubt anyone would have predicted that the morrison government would ever be dragged kicking and screaming to this level of spend to prop up society based pretty much on science alone. i'm no communist but it's painfully clear to everyone but the LNP and rusted on fuckwits that the social safety net has been frayed for the last 20 years and i'm hoping that's one of the changes we get from this.

Victoria is going to be an interesting problem child. andrews is loving around with his own problems and a cabinet reshuffle - added to this mikakos seems to be shrinking in the role of health minister. there's a bit of 'watch this space' once they dig into how this has been handled. poorly trained, least cost security guards is just a start.

Also:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/ministers-sworn-in-as-andrews-shakes-up-cabinet-after-stacking-scandal-20200622-p554xs.html

quote:

Ministers sworn in as Andrews shakes up cabinet after stacking scandal

Three new ministers have have been sworn in as part of an Andrews government cabinet reshuffle that has created several new portfolios.

Natalie Hutchins, Shaun Leane and Danny Pearson were sworn in on Monday morning, following the branch stacking scandal that engulfed the government last week and claimed the scalps of three ministers: Adem Somyurek, Marlene Kairouz and Robin Scott.

Mr Leane has been appointed the Minister for Local Government, Suburban Development and Veterans.

In secret recordings obtained by The Age and 60 Minutes, Mr Somyurek aid the Suburban Development position, formerly held by his factional ally Ms Kairouz, was a "meaningless" portfolio "made up just to make it look like we're interested in the suburbs".

Ms Hutchins will take up the newly-created portfolio of Victim Support, as well as Corrections, Youth Justice and Crime Prevention.

Mr Pearson has been named as Assistant Treasurer and will also take on the new roles of Minister for Regulatory Reform and Government Services.

In a statement, the government said in the Regulatory Reform portfolio, Mr Pearson will oversee government shared services, and as Government Services Minister he will be responsible for the public sector, cyber security and reform of the "citizen digital transaction" space.

Melissa Horne has been stripped of her public transport portfolio, and will serve in the more junior roles as Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation, Minister for Fishing and Boating and Minister for Ports and Freight.

Martin Pakula has been given the new portfolio of Industry Support and Recovery; Ben Carroll will serve as Minister for Public Transport and Minister for Roads and Safety; and Jaala Pulford takes on the newly-created roles of Minister for Employment, Minister for Innovation, Medical Research and the Digital Economy, and Minister for Small Business.

Minister for Transport Infrastructure Jacinta Allan has been given the new position of Minister for the Suburban Rail Loop.

Oakleigh MP Steve Dimopolous has been promoted to Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier.

Prior to his elevation to the frontbench, Mr Pearson held that role.

"Victoria is facing an unprecedented challenge as we begin the recovery from coronavirus," the government said in a statement.

"This is the strong, dedicated and determined team to get us through to the other side."

Not sure what party sin Melissa Horne committed but there you go.

VADINA
Jun 10, 2020

Here to ruin everything

Graic Gabtar posted:

Not sure what party sin Melissa Horne committed but there you go.

horne is prohibited

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

VADINA posted:

horne is prohibited

I appreciate this joke.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sulla Faex posted:

This is not Australia-specific but there's apparently research to show that the "the young are liberal, then as they get older (and wiser) they become conservative" thing is bullshit and liberalism/conservatism is generally a generational thing, and the reason we think this is just because the boomers are all conservative as gently caress (and have been since forever) and because they are such a disproportionately numerous and cohesive cohort, they reinvented the world in their image - it's just a shame they're garbage conservatives.

And this FYGM/"I have a mortgage now, there's no amount of skulls I wouldn't crush underfoot to make minimum repayments and still have enough left over to save up for a new TV every year" seems to me to be more a colonial attitude.. we or our family came here for the good life, and we don't give a poo poo whom we disenfranchise in our pursuit of it. Solidarity is for the poor, and I don't plan on being poor

There was a big study done on the class divide in australia that seems somewhat related to this. Rather than the traditional white collar/blue collar divide it's morphed into a home owner/not home owner divide as blue collar but cashed up tradies get into investment properties and then start cheerleading for the LNP, while a lot of uni grads get into white collar jobs but because graduate wages are a shadow of what they used to be never fulfill the wealthy white collar stereotype.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Also lol at the hand picked judge for a conservative witch hunt against unions turning out to be a sex pest.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Again I contend that Heydon J's parents named him Dyson because they knew how much he would suck

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Allen's just announced on Facebook that they're changing the name of Redskins and Chicos lollies (new names TBA) and conservatives are losing their minds.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

snoremac posted:

and everyone protesting in BLM has never had to pay a mortgage (???)

she's right

i've never had to pay a mortgage

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I didn't know they made Redskins still.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mattjpwns posted:

Allen's just announced on Facebook that they're changing the name of Redskins and Chicos lollies (new names TBA) and conservatives are losing their minds.

Oh man. I bet it’ll be lots of “I’ll never buy another of your products again!”

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

time to stock up so I can fleece idiots in six months time

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

time to stock up so I can fleece idiots in six months time

Pre-PC Redskins, $50/kg

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Show your Aussie pride with real red skins and Chico’s at your nurse appreciation Australia Day party!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Who in blue gently caress actually buys redkins or chicos.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Pre-PC Redskins, $50/kg

candy so good the SJWs banned it!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Laserface posted:

Redskins are the best (tasting) lolly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

We had redskins in the communal lolly jar in the office fairly often, before it got corona-ed. They made my teeth hurt although the flavour is pretty good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was kind of shocked to find out just how many Mars bars are sold nationally (I have a friend who works for Mars)

like 100k a day. every day.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

I was kind of shocked to find out just how many Mars bars are sold nationally (I have a friend who works for Mars)

That's only .4% of the population buying one every day. Less if you factor in replacements for expired stock or whatever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

That's only .4% of the population buying one every day. Less if you factor in replacements for expired stock or whatever.

yeah it still blows my mind though. I never think to ever buy a mars bar, its extemely low tier chocolate. who are these people? what are their lives like that a Mars bar is what they go to for a pick me up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Laserface posted:

I buy a Mars on the odd occasion when they’re $1 at the Coles checkout.