Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not Char but it annoys me how Dozle got his scars in the Origin. He's a big fight man that loves battle, so him not getting his scars from combat is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also the film doesn't give me impression that that moment informed his character in any way

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think it adds to the idea that he's in denial about his family

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

The Zakurello fight in the original series is one of my favorites in the series. Amuro gets scraped twice before he jams a Beam Saber through it's reactor and then flies back to the White Base going "Was that it? That was incredibly easy, I wonder what was up with that guy..."

My favorite thing about that fight is that the Zakrello pilot spends the short duration of the fight going "oh, the Gundam isn't actually that tough and he's moving just as I hoped" before dying, with Amuro flying away going "why the hell was he moving so predictably?".

chiasaur11 posted:

Origins Char was always hosed up (anime even more than in the manga), but yeah. Life was not kind.

It's part of why Sayla's an interesting comparison point, because she's a much more normal person shaped by the same circumstances.

I would say she's still an interesting comparison and a best case scenario for what they went through, but I would say the circumstances were slightly different: Char was older, so he was more aware of what was going on, and he was also likely to have been pushed by Jimba Ral to be more of an avenger than he was likely to have pushed Sayla to be, because he was the older sibling and also because he was a boy, while she was a girl, so Jimba is likely to have gravitated more towards Char when venting about things, pushing them to take vengeance etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Zakrello hype is rising! I've gotta see this, since it wasn't in the trilogy.

One vote for Char classic by the way. Not that this is notable or anything, but Origins is one I'm not too interested in. It's a thing where even if it's solidly done, the concept and what I've read of the retcons don't appeal to me. I know people like it, just doesn't sound like my thing.

Other than that, Narrative is another UC one I think I'll skip. Just some Gundam confessions.

By the way, has Tomino said anything about Origin? I know he's worked with the guy who wrote it etc. And has Tomino said anything interesting in recent years in general? I always hear he's an outspoken wild character, and could use more Tomino in my life. That quote about how he could have been a serial killer is the only one that comes to mind.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 22, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished rewatching Origin in its entirety this past week (plug time! check out my Letterboxd! https://letterboxd.com/Taintrunner/) and I will say is sort of strays into Mary Sue levels of Char Can't Lose levels of hilarity, but goddamn, he is such a lovable piece-of-poo poo fucker the entire time that you really can't hate him. Knowing that in the context of his 0079 betrayals is really something else. This dude was Jack Bauer levels of committed to being a real fucko. Like I would watch unlimited Char if they decided to go back and fill out his story more.

Also here is weird lanky Gundam in Japan:

https://twitter.com/nisei2nd/status/1274575559024971778

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I like Origins but Char turning into the classical definition of a Mary Sue who just happens to be involved in every single major event of the One Year War is kind of tiresome. He even took part in the construction of Jaburo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think its amazing how they didnt introduce any new models in the origin

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Depends how you define "new model".

Even aside from old designs with massive changes like the Guntank, and the variations like the Guncannon gets, there's a handful of brand new designs like the WAFF.

They don't flood you with designs in the main manga and anime, but there's still new stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stairmaster posted:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Even ignoring the ~10 totally-new-to-the-OVA prototype mobile suits, they made slight design changes to every single OYW suit that shows up (and then sold them as new model kits :v:). If you exclude obvious recolours, the Origin Gunpla line has 17 unique kits in it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Argas posted:

I like Origins but Char turning into the classical definition of a Mary Sue who just happens to be involved in every single major event of the One Year War is kind of tiresome. He even took part in the construction of Jaburo.

I didn't mind that because at least it explained how the hell he knew where jaburo was.

But yeah char and garma starting the first sort of uprising and him intercepting general revil while he was escaping was pretty dumb.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Monaghan posted:

I didn't mind that because at least it explained how the hell he knew where jaburo was.

But yeah char and garma starting the first sort of uprising and him intercepting general revil while he was escaping was pretty dumb.

There's plenty of ways to accomplish that without "Char did everything".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Argas posted:

There's plenty of ways to accomplish that without "Char did everything".

It really is a matter of degrees. Char was introduced in the original series by having I think Paolo go "A red mobile suit? Oh poo poo, that's the Red Comet! That's the guy who kicked a ridiculous amount of rear end at the Battle of Loum and everyone knows and fears him!" and then we see for ourselves it's not just talk when Char's Zaku beats up the Gundam. And we see that reinforced for Char's first run as the on the ground main villain because the series spends its scenes pointed at the antagonists getting across in no uncertain terms that Char is an extremely scary multi-talented dude and furthermore that he's kind of a treacherous bastard what with all the time he spends standing behind Garma sharpening a dagger.

You can demonstrate that this Char guy is a really big deal without needing him to Forrest Gump through all of Gundam's backstory.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Droyer posted:

Not Char but it annoys me how Dozle got his scars in the Origin. He's a big fight man that loves battle, so him not getting his scars from combat is lame.

Speaking of Dozle, the scene where he and Zenna got together in the Origin was kind of weird. From side story stuff, we're told the two love each other very much, and Origin shows Dozle is just an awkward and loud man in general. But looming over Zenna and asking if she would bear his kids was such a weird move, especially with Dozle looming over her and Zenna looking nervous.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also there should have been a harman karn cameo

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dozle is just a big loveable gooon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

I think Char being involved in that uprising was actually the best used instance of Char being involved in every little thing about the OYW, honestly. The setup of his weird manipulative frenemy relationship with Garma was very good and adds a lot of background to Garma's eventual betrayal/demise. It also helps sell the troops and people loving Garma as much as they did, because it gives him a massive concrete success beyond "is a Zabi".

Char intercepting General Revil serves no real purpose, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Monaghan posted:

I kinda like it cause it essentially makes not only the OYW but essentially every conflict in the Universal Century Char's fault, and there's something beautiful about him being that big of a fuckup of a human being

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Let's be honest, Char was already canonically at every major MS battle, fought the Gundam multiple times, had a specially made MS just for him which he flew at the final battle of the war, was heavily involved in the Newtype program, was romantically involved with the first Newtype pilot and there when she died, was the best friend of one of the Zabi children, was directly responsible for the deaths of two of the Zabis including the leader of the Duchy of Zeon at the final battle of the war, and also was the secret son of Zeon himself and the secret brother of a woman who was bridge crew on the White Base.

Adding "oh yeah and he also ran into General Revil" does not tip Char's involvement in the One Year War into unrealistic territory, imo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

The Zakrello hype is rising! I've gotta see this, since it wasn't in the trilogy.

One vote for Char classic by the way. Not that this is notable or anything, but Origins is one I'm not too interested in. It's a thing where even if it's solidly done, the concept and what I've read of the retcons don't appeal to me. I know people like it, just doesn't sound like my thing.

Other than that, Narrative is another UC one I think I'll skip. Just some Gundam confessions.

By the way, has Tomino said anything about Origin? I know he's worked with the guy who wrote it etc. And has Tomino said anything interesting in recent years in general? I always hear he's an outspoken wild character, and could use more Tomino in my life. That quote about how he could have been a serial killer is the only one that comes to mind.

He talked about his disappointment with how Shinkai's films always have a boy reaching for a girl, but his hand never reaches her crotch.

On the one hand, it's a pretty reasonable thing to comment on that Shinkai focuses on longing in relationships over their active phase, which is all the more notable with how Tomino shows tend to have people, you know. gently caress.

On the other end... there's a lot of ways to phrase things that aren't so... Tomino.

As for Char, the Origin movies amplify the manga considerably, since all the parts where Char fucks up, is beaten, or just isn't the focus are taken out. In the manga, the flashback arcs come after a long time with Amuro in the lead and people talking about past events aside from Char's role. (Including Ryu ranting about how Char didn't take out five battleships at Loum, he just took out ONE battleship, three cruisers, and a carrier.)

The origins anime is basically just all the "Char is the best!" moments in sequence, with none of the original counterbalances in play.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Let's be honest, Char was already canonically at every major MS battle, fought the Gundam multiple times, had a specially made MS just for him which he flew at the final battle of the war, was heavily involved in the Newtype program, was romantically involved with the first Newtype pilot and there when she died, was the best friend of one of the Zabi children, was directly responsible for the deaths of two of the Zabis including the leader of the Duchy of Zeon at the final battle of the war, and also was the secret son of Zeon himself and the secret brother of a woman who was bridge crew on the White Base.

Adding "oh yeah and he also ran into General Revil" does not tip Char's involvement in the One Year War into unrealistic territory, imo

Striding unto the bridge and having all the Federation crew in pants-wetting terror outside a mobile suit is a bit much that no one shoots his rear end.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Thinking about The Origin again mostly just makes me sad the manga's still print only and so expensive. I don't have any room to complain because a somewhat nearby library has them (which is how I read it when it was coming out), but I'd really like to just have it without having to make shelf space for it.

Also lol, What grade is that?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Thinking about The Origin again mostly just makes me sad the manga's still print only and so expensive. I don't have any room to complain because a somewhat nearby library has them (which is how I read it when it was coming out), but I'd really like to just have it without having to make shelf space for it.

More than half of it is free on Comic Walker in full color. So that's an option.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

chiasaur11 posted:

More than half of it is free on Comic Walker in full color. So that's an option.

Ooh, oh poo poo. I had no idea. Thank you, that's much appreciated.

Edit:

They put up the important parts at least.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 23, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Char intercepting General Revil serves no real purpose, though.

I think it provides a good example of the fact that Char was willing to let the war go on to assure himself a shot at the Zabis, which isn't necessarily obvious otherwise.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Ooh, oh poo poo. I had no idea. Thank you, that's much appreciated.

Edit:

They put up the important parts at least.

I realize that this is probably taken well out of context, but :yikes:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
There might be a little more to it than that, yeah.

That scene was in the cartoon, wasn't it?

Burns
May 10, 2008

How does the Ramba Ral fighting White Base follow in Origin? It always seened odd for Ral to be so keen on getting vengeance for Garma in the original. Does he have the same motivation in Origin?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Randallteal posted:

There might be a little more to it than that, yeah.

That scene was in the cartoon, wasn't it?

it absolutely was yes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burns posted:

How does the Ramba Ral fighting White Base follow in Origin? It always seened odd for Ral to be so keen on getting vengeance for Garma in the original. Does he have the same motivation in Origin?

Don't think so. His main motive in the Origin is to make sure his troops get treated well, because they're in deep political poo poo after his dad saved Char and Ral resigned over British. A big win like stopping the Gundam is the only way they'll be off the Zabi's shitlist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alternate Universe where Ramba Ral joins the White Base crew because of Sayla.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Randallteal posted:

Counterpoint:

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 23, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do you think char or amuro would be able to take the gold in the g Gundam tournament

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stairmaster posted:

Do you think char or amuro would be able to take the gold in the g Gundam tournament
Char would do well but would become a bad guy and work with Wong Yunfat and/or the Devil Gundam, preventing him from winning legitimately. Amuro could win but he'd need the Nu to do some bullshit at the end. Then again if Amuro won it'd probably be Lalah in there or some poo poo and we're completely off the rails.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Amuro would be crushed to death by the Mobile Trace System.

Char would lose because in physical terms he couldn't even win a swordfight against an untrained boy who barely left his room prior to becoming a pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Amuro would be crushed to death by the Mobile Trace System.

Amuro's a veteran soldier who's able to knock Char off a horse in a dive, and brawls well enough in Hong Kong in Zeta. He's not like Mikazuki or Heero where it's kind of astonishing that they're human, and he's nowhere close to the raw absurdity that is Domon, but he's in pretty decent shape in his later appearances.

He might have some strain from the MS, but if Rain can operate a suit with it, and random street kids can survive, I'd think Amuro'd be able to at least operate a Gundam. Catch is, there's a big gap between "I can walk" and "My kung fu is so strong I can toss around skyscrapers."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't think so. His main motive in the Origin is to make sure his troops get treated well, because they're in deep political poo poo after his dad saved Char and Ral resigned over British. A big win like stopping the Gundam is the only way they'll be off the Zabi's shitlist.

He says he's aiming to do it for his men in the original as well. Ral talks about avenging Garma when he first shows up, but there's a scene where Hamon specifically asks Ral in private why he's so serious about taking down the White Base and he says if he gets the Gundam he can get a promotion specifically to make sure his men are treated well and so he and Hamon can basically retire.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Burns posted:

Dozle is just a big loveable gooon.

He is. I guess Zenna must have instantly known that when she accepted Dozle's proposal. :v:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alternate Universe where Ramba Ral joins the White Base crew because of Sayla.

Maybe they'd do this if they added Origin to SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think any uc character would freeze up if confronted with a love love sekiha tenkyoken.