Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

There were exponentially fewer PPC OSX Macs in the Wild in 2010 than there are Intel Macs running in 2020.

And at least for the next few years there are probably also going to be way less dramatic incentives for people to dump their old computers or upgrade to new ones like there were for PPC users switching to Intel Macs by the time support was pulled.

Somebody using a PPC Mac in 2010 would be upgrading to a much bigger and higher res display, a unibody chassis, much faster internet and WiFi capability, and other major QoL improvements. And PPC/early Intel Macs were in many cases quirky or less-than-optimal in construction or longevity. Lots of plastic pieces failing or breaking, or yellowing and cracking by 2010. Heat issues in many models. Plus you’re talking about HDDs and optical media drives, many of which failed and prompted their owners to consider replacing them instead of repairing them in the first place.

Compare that to today and Macs are substantially more durable. Hell, even the earlier unibody models from the early 2010s can easily put up with a solid decade of use and come out looking relatively unscathed.

I wouldn’t put it past Apple cutting off OS updates after five years, but also the conditions have changed pretty dramatically since 2010.

Oh I agree, I think it'll be more than 5 years. I was just trying to counter this doom-and-gloom view of Intel Macs being thrown to the trash heap in 2 years. But I think even getting 5 years minimum of continued support is good to begin with when a major transition like this is occurring.

Shaocaholica posted:

So switching to ARM is basically going to kill gaming on Macs right? Not that I endorse gaming on Macs.

I mean, you'd probably expect to see just as much gaming on ARM Macs as what you see on iPhones/iPads I would imagine. In terms of big studio support for co-releases to their PC counterparts, it'll probably decline, but it was already in decline anyway since most studios were backing off ports of any kind to macOS. But honestly, I think if anything it'll improve overall since you will be more easily able to hopefully play iOS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

So switching to ARM is basically going to kill gaming on Macs right? Not that I endorse gaming on Macs.
Immediate future it wipes out Boot Camp and anything else that relies on x86 like Wine ports. The iOS compatibility is potentially interesting when you consider the games w/controller support, or stuff with simple touch controls that'd map easily to just using a mouse.

Longer term, as the lineup switches over, the majority of new Macs sold will theoretically be decently specced enough for gaming, which at least will get rid of the hurdle of all the Intel IGP Macs eventually.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Playing free iOS games on my Arm Mac Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

You cannot kill what is already dead, my friend

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Playing free iOS games on my Arm Mac Pro.

I’m good with that :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

I mean, you'd probably expect to see just as much gaming on ARM Macs as what you see on iPhones/iPads I would imagine. In terms of big studio support for co-releases to their PC counterparts, it'll probably decline, but it was already in decline anyway since most studios were backing off ports of any kind to macOS. But honestly, I think if anything it'll improve overall since you will be more easily able to hopefully play iOS games.

Most PC games that get an iOS Port these days also tend to get a Mac Port via Steam/App store.

Also people saying “you’ll be able to play iOS fortnite!” Like, lol- you could already play Fortnite on Mac, and it’s functionally pretty similar to the iOS version from what I understand

As much as I’d love to see this lead to a watershed of good (AAA?) game ports on both Mac and iOS in the coming years, the more plausible scenario is that we’ll be playing games on our Macs via XCloud/GeForce Now/Steam’s Version/Stadia(lol) and it really won’t matter if you have the most powerful Mac or the least.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Binary Badger posted:

Oh, look..

https://www.apple.com/macos/big-sur-preview/

Apple lists the following Macs as being Big Sur compatible:

iMac - 2014 and later (We're not supporting those POS 2013 iMacs, they all used lovely nVidia GPUS)

:argh:

I knew the day would come but still.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Without even a hint of what's coming first arm-mac wise, I'm going to go get an iPad Pro today. I had cash in hand to go get an i[ARM]Mac but I'm not dicking around for 8 months waiting to see what they actually release.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Xabi posted:

Ah, :(

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

There's an almost certain chance that dosdude and other community people will patch Big Sur for the 2013 iMacs and other older machines like has been done for Catalina, Mojave, and every Mac OS version ever, especially since other Macs like the late 2013 MBP have Nvidia GPUs... or just run Mojave forever since it's superior to Catalina anyways. I wouldn't really worry about it. :shobon:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah but I don't want to use a weird patched OS. RIP support for my trusty old maxed out 2013 iMac. Guess I'll wait for the 2020 arMac

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol forever if you're actually masochistic enough to pay Apple for the wonderful privilege of beta testing a first-gen ARM Mac. Just get one of the very excellent 2019/2020 MBA/MBP models or stick with your older machine for another couple years. The current Macbooks are legitimately the best laptops Apple's made in years and some of y'all are chomping at the bit to struggle through brand new unproven hardware with guaranteed anemic app support. :allears:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Yeah but I don't want to use a weird patched OS. RIP support for my trusty old maxed out 2013 iMac. Guess I'll wait for the 2020 arMac

Mojave will probably get security updates for the next 3+ years, so I wouldn't rush into an ARM Mac right away under any circumstances imo. Besides that an ARM iMac isn't coming out this year.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol forever if you're actually masochistic enough to pay Apple for the wonderful privilege of beta testing a first-gen ARM Mac. Just get one of the very excellent 2019/2020 MBA/MBP models or stick with your older machine for another couple years. The current Macbooks are legitimately the best laptops Apple's made in years and some of y'all are chomping at the bit to struggle through brand new unproven hardware with guaranteed anemic app support. :allears:

For real. Anyone who is on the fence about buying a MacBook right now should just pull the trigger.

I love my 16" so much and I'm sure it will continue to be supported for until at least 2025 which would be longer than I've ever owned a computer in my life.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that the battery replacement entails a top case.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Shaocaholica posted:

Or it will provide a unified platform and encourage devs to port over software, because you can easily hit every Apple device instead of developing for iPhone/iPad first and then leaving Macs behind.

Who knows!!! It could go many ways.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Besides that an ARM iMac isn't coming out this year.

How do you know?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

How do you know?

Several legit sources say the first ARM Mac will
be a Macbook of some kind, likely a 13" MBP. A new Intel iMac redesign has been rumored forever too, so I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple puts out a new Intel iMac then replaces with an ARM iMac the same year...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just learned that the latest MacBook Pros support AVX-512 when one of our developers bought a new laptop and found a bug in our codebase that had never been found before because we'd never had the combination of macOS + AVX-512 until now.

Sounds like a nice excuse for me to grab a new machine, and to add another configuration to CI.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not saying every game will be available on ARM Macs, but more and more cross platform games are being built with with tools that let them easily offer an ARM version that can easily be ported to the Nintendo Switch/Nvidia Shield/iPhone.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Arivia posted:

that it definitely has a defined end of life consisting of whenever Apple decides to stop providing services for it? let alone the third party developers, etc etc. Like yes, you can argue this is a thing for any Mac, or any computer, nothing lasts forever. Vintage Macs have been a thing in Apple's support database for decades, I get it. But I don't want to ride the back end of a platform switch, I'd rather just get something that Just Works now and will until I get tired of it, not when Apple or whoever decides to stop supporting it.

Honestly you're overthinking it. If you need one now and an intel mac does what you want, just go ahead and get it. PPC was well supported for a while past the intel transition and you can get a hint of how long historical hardware support is by looking at the current compatibility list. Mac support has always been at apple's whims but at least there's a fairly good track record here.

"just works now" is exactly what the intel macs are. I had a first-gen MBP and while it was nicer than a PPC in some ways but boy was that thing built poorly. You can safely bet the first-gen arm ones will have a bunch of surprising quirks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad Pro is the best laptop Apple has made.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I have a 16" MBP and it's nice and good, especially for video editing (which is why I bought it), but I will 100% buy the first "thin & light" ARM computer Apple releases if it's not terrible. I've bought and sold an iPad Pro a few times — sold it because each time I realized I don't actually want a tablet (the hinged screen + keyboard design of laptops is actually... good) and I don't want to be constrained to iPad OS (though it's getting better).

I'm hoping they come out with something like the 12" MacBook, which I loved besides the keyboard and it being slow as poo poo. Also goes without saying, but I would expect this to compliment my 16" MBP (or maybe something like an iMac), not replace it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No Big Sur support for my mid-2012 MacBook Air? :smith: It's had a good run.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Or it will provide a unified platform and encourage devs to port over software, because you can easily hit every Apple device instead of developing for iPhone/iPad first and then leaving Macs behind.

Who knows!!! It could go many ways.
Hell iPads support controllers, keyboards, and mice. Macs will support iPad apps. Will devs bother with a Mac version if their iPad game supports all the inputs, or is it even that far from a real Mac version at that point? I guess the main question would be window resizing. From the State of the Union keynote it works if the app supports flexible layout (i.e. for multitasking views), but then would the game on iPad would have to be multitask capable?

Several legit sources say the first ARM Mac will be a Macbook of some kind, likely a 13" MBP. A new Intel iMac redesign has been rumored forever too, so I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple puts out a new Intel iMac then replaces with an ARM iMac the same year...
Depends on if the redesign depends on ARM to begin with, like to handle a lower TDP or add in something like Face ID. I could see an Intel spec bump model then new ARM one later. Or at the same time, like a legacy iMac for people holding on to x86 for reasons, fancy new ARM one for everyone else.

Anyway one of the "legit" sources says iMac too:
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23/kuo-24-inch-imac-new-design-4q20/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just learned that the latest MacBook Pros support AVX-512 when one of our developers bought a new laptop and found a bug in our codebase that had never been found before because we'd never had the combination of macOS + AVX-512 until now.

Sounds like a nice excuse for me to grab a new machine, and to add another configuration to CI.

Dunno if it matters for your CI configuration matrix, but FYI one of the interesting tidbits I got from watching WWDC videos is that Rosetta 2 will not support AVX instructions of any type.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

grahm posted:

I'm hoping they come out with something like the 12" MacBook, which I loved besides the keyboard and it being slow as poo poo. Also goes without saying, but I would expect this to compliment my 16" MBP (or maybe something like an iMac), not replace it.

I hope Apple brings back rose gold as a color option too!! :argh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is probably bad for macs in a corporate/professional deployment those people were already holding onto old cheese graters they’re deffo not going to jump onto ARM.

It’s a wierd thing to watch people try to showhorn macs into any kind of enterprise setup. Even if you have in house developers you’re still going to fight Apple on a lot of fronts.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean Apple could at least spit on it before going to town, but they've shown zero interest in doing so for years and years so...

Its not like anyone likes doing enterprise management of Mac farms.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

This is probably bad for macs in a corporate/professional deployment those people were already holding onto old cheese graters they’re deffo not going to jump onto ARM.

It’s a wierd thing to watch people try to showhorn macs into any kind of enterprise setup. Even if you have in house developers you’re still going to fight Apple on a lot of fronts.

I mean I work in an org of 400 and we basically refresh Macs every three to four years, and we’re probably 40/60 Mac/PC. There may be a drop off now that you can’t use it to run a secondary Windows VM or whatever but I expect that I’ll be getting a new ARM Mac next year as I’m still on a 2016 MBP.

I suspect my office isn’t breaking any new ground here and a lot of orgs will just roll these in assuming they fit the need.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I hope Apple brings back rose gold as a color option too!! :argh:

I’d much rather they expand the current gold color to the MBP/iPad Pro.

Shaocaholica posted:

How? Also, you realize that Apple has both an in-house division and an ongoing partnership with IBM that just focus on enterprise deployment and customization/systems/internal apps/etc right?

Like, most corporate Mac/iOS deployments aren’t just handing somebody the company credit card to go buy 5000 iPads at the retail Apple store while telling them to “just make it work”. I mean, a bunch totally are (not 5000, maybe like 50 max), but not most. It’s not 2009 anymore.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrBond posted:

Honestly you're overthinking it. If you need one now and an intel mac does what you want, just go ahead and get it. PPC was well supported for a while past the intel transition and you can get a hint of how long historical hardware support is by looking at the current compatibility list. Mac support has always been at apple's whims but at least there's a fairly good track record here.

On the other hand:

Quote from wikipedia :
"The latest version of OS X that any PowerBook G4 can run is Mac OS X Leopard, released in 2007.[1] When Apple switched to Intel x86 processors in 2006, the PowerBook G4's form and aluminum chassis were retained for the MacBook Pro."

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d much rather they expand the current gold color to the MBP/iPad Pro.

How? Also, you realize that Apple has both an in-house division and an ongoing partnership with IBM that just focus on enterprise deployment and customization/systems/internal apps/etc right?

Like, most corporate Mac/iOS deployments aren’t just handing somebody the company credit card to go buy 5000 iPads at the retail Apple store while telling them to “just make it work”. I mean, a bunch totally are (not 5000, maybe like 50 max), but not most. It’s not 2009 anymore.

Yeah... let me tell you this is happening more than you think. One of the last places I was working had exactly that going on. Not even from the retail Apple Store, loving CDW. :psyduck: And this wasn’t a unknown company or anything with a small amount of users either. They were just stupid from top to bottom.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have a 2015 5k Imac, and a MacBook pro 2015 (13 inch). Aside from not liking that my iMac has a fusion drive, I think these machines will serve my business just fine till around 2022, when hopefully the second gen of apple silicon is out for their future models. Looking forward to not getting the 1st version of both new products! I run a publishing company.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

FCKGW posted:

The iPad Pro is the best laptop Apple has made.

Throw in a Magic Keyboard and it's the best desktop since the 4K iMac?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

idk what your relationship to the organization is but this is saying the quiet part really loud (it is v. true though)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

idk what your relationship to the organization is but this is saying the quiet part really loud (it is v. true though)

?????

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
no I don’t know what the quiet part is

it’s always been a “thing” that Macs suck for enterprise and that Apple explicitly doesn’t give a poo poo but then I’ve worked at a bunch of places that seem to make it work, and there has been marked improvement and increased presence of Apple stuff in the workplace over the years, because they’re a way bigger company now and they’ve actually invested in it a bunch

And then people will say “oh that’s just because apple’s marketing is so good and worthless corporate middle managers demand iMacs and MacBook Pros from their miserable IT staff”

but like what is the quiet part?

tell me this, in the dying moments of the forums, at the end of everything

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only thing I care about but will never receive in MacOS is proper container support. An ARM processor the size of an Intel chip will absolutely devastate any x86 offering in basically every metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apple acquired Fleetsmith

https://blog.fleetsmith.com/fleetsmith-acquired-by-apple/

Fleetsmith automates device setup, intelligence, patching, and security, for your company’s Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs.