Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

While on a wiki wormhole, I stumbled across the plot of an episode of Blacklist about abortion and I'm utterly mesmerized with how sick, stupid and misguided it is (warning, contains nightmare fuel)

https://the-blacklist.fandom.com/wiki/Hannah_Hayes_(Character)

...like, who the gently caress writes something like this? This is on par with Mark Millar's Nemesis.

speaking of millar, I learned about 20 years ago he wrote a marvel comic called trouble about aunt may,uncle ben and richard and mary as youths, and turns out aunt may is peter's biological mother. The comics all had creepy af photographic covers too:

and wasn't like some fan thing, this was a published marvel comic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

speaking of millar, I learned about 20 years ago he wrote a marvel comic called trouble about aunt may,uncle ben and richard and mary as youths, and turns out aunt may is peter's biological mother. The comics all had creepy af photographic covers too:

and wasn't like some fan thing, this was a published marvel comic!

Millar is the loving worst. I refuse to believe he wrote Superman: Red Son. Red Son is a masterpiece while everything else Millar does is sick filth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AceOfFlames posted:

Millar is the loving worst. I refuse to believe he wrote Superman: Red Son. Red Son is a masterpiece while everything else Millar does is sick filth.

Millar's stuff in Superman Adventures is exactly the kind of thing that should be in a Superman comic for kids. Starlight is fine too.

He's quite capable of doing non-edgy work, he just doesn't because he's a fuckwit who does things like "what if a supervillain impregnated a girl using her brother's sperm and then booby-trapped her vagina" and "what if a pedophile wrote a comic and then transferred his mind into the comic".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mark Millar makes one-shot comics for the sole purpose of them being movie fodder. Throw him on the pile.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been listening to a podcast that's going through the UK's Sonic the Hedgehog comic from the 90's for the last year, I was very surprised when they read out the credits for the Sonic strip for the second issue and it turned out that Mark Millar wrote it.

It was clearly work for hire stuff just done for the paycheck, but it was totally fine kids stuff and actually better than some of the early writers turning in the same kind of stuff. He did 11 Sonic strips in total, apparently all written before the first issue was published.

He also wrote the first two Streets of Rage story lines for the comic, now those felt like early/prototype Mark Millar works, somewhat sanitised for a pre-teen/early teen audience. Although they were kind of pushing it sometimes for a comic with Sonic the Hedgehog on the cover.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also it's apparently based on some jerk who ruined a Dr Who fan forum

Oh it’s better than that - it’s based on a super fan who, during the 80s, was an unpaid continuity advisor on the show, which led to things like a story which drew on plot points from stories over 15 years earlier, some of which were no longer in the BBC archive.

He also was more recently (at the time) vociferous on fan forums, infamously calling Christopher Eccleston ‘lower than a cockroach’ for leaving the series.

He was very much the kind of person who’d call someone out for not being a fan ‘in the right way’.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We also have a city of Townsville. It's a shithole.

Named after one of Australia's worst slave owners :eng101:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

While on a wiki wormhole, I stumbled across the plot of an episode of Blacklist about abortion and I'm utterly mesmerized with how sick, stupid and misguided it is (warning, contains nightmare fuel)

...like, who the gently caress writes something like this? This is on par with Mark Millar's Nemesis.

A victimless crime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Named after one of Australia's worst slave owners :eng101:

Speaking of, Melbourne's founder and almost namesake was John Batman.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

AceOfFlames posted:

Apparently the ending came from Grant Morrison who was friends with Millar at the time and I've seen people speculate he might have had more influence on the story than just that part.

The two of them had a falling out and when asked in an interview a few years ago if he ever runs into Millar anymore Morrison responded with "If I ever run into Mark Millar again I hope I'm going 100 miles per hour.'

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"He killed my faith in basic loving humanity" I think is how the rest of that particular response went.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hannibal isn't like offensive, as a show. It's just like some 14 year olds gay fanfic about hot tragic boys who love dogs but don't ~fit in with society~

Will graham should have spent the entire run in an invader zim t-shirt

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's just about eating, looking sad, dogs, and talking like a vampire

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like the only thing it's missing is someone crying that their mom was mad they used her credit card for a crunchyroll subscription

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The key thing about Hannibal is that it really isn't even trying for the veneer of realism that other crime dramas have. It's a fantasy. The world's full of serial killer artists who are all executing some weird design, Will has super profiling powers but is completely oblivious to his friend Dr. Lecter, the production design is very elaborate for a network TV series.

At one point there's a lesbian sex scene that they got past network censors by turning it into an abstract kaleidoscope.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh it's definitely dreamlike and abstract, that part is fine. but they're fuckin goofs though

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Zaroff posted:

Oh it’s better than that - it’s based on a super fan who, during the 80s, was an unpaid continuity advisor on the show, which led to things like a story which drew on plot points from stories over 15 years earlier, some of which were no longer in the BBC archive.

He also was more recently (at the time) vociferous on fan forums, infamously calling Christopher Eccleston ‘lower than a cockroach’ for leaving the series.

He was very much the kind of person who’d call someone out for not being a fan ‘in the right way’.

Didn't he also singlehandedly fund, direct, and act in a direct-to-video episode after the show had been cancelled?

E: I stand corrected, he didn't ever release anything (and the only information available is on Kiwifarms, which is a lovely cesspool of hateful assholes so who knows)

Whybird has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Jun 23, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

At one point there's a lesbian sex scene that they got past network censors by turning it into an abstract kaleidoscope.

It's the greatest scene in television history.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

The whole premise is flawed to begin with, since abortion laws only apply to poor people. Her victims would have had the implants out of them in a matter of hours after being released.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laterite posted:

It's the greatest scene in television history.

Second greatest :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Whybird posted:

Didn't he also singlehandedly fund, direct, and act in a direct-to-video episode after the show had been cancelled?

E: I stand corrected, he didn't ever release anything (and the only information available is on Kiwifarms, which is a lovely cesspool of hateful assholes so who knows)

Actually that’s pretty accurate! There was a period where Ian Levine (the fan in question) decided he was going to take on a multitude of projects, ranging from animating both a missing episode and completing a story which was abandoned in 1979 due to strike action (both successfully completed, as he had intended selling these to the BBC for release), and then he wanted to make productions of a litany of things he considered canon.

This is where things got messy, since the other projects were live action features being made on a significantly smaller budget, or basically slideshows with photoshopped pictures. It was unimpressive to say the least, and laughable at best.

He did create a 40 minute trailer of all these projects, which was either leaked or officially released. I’m not sure if it’s still online or whether he took it down...

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Veotax posted:

I've been listening to a podcast that's going through the UK's Sonic the Hedgehog comic from the 90's for the last year, I was very surprised when they read out the credits for the Sonic strip for the second issue and it turned out that Mark Millar wrote it.

Speaking of media that did not age well...

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Komojo posted:

Sonic the Comic was the coolest thing ever in 1996 and I never questioned for one moment its position in the official Sonic canon.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In Sonic’s defense I don’t know that I’d handle by yelled at by a future, smaller version of myself with grace and dignity either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny thing is that's kinda the opposite of what ended up happening

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Veotax posted:

He also wrote the first two Streets of Rage story lines for the comic, now those felt like early/prototype Mark Millar works, somewhat sanitised for a pre-teen/early teen audience. Although they were kind of pushing it sometimes for a comic with Sonic the Hedgehog on the cover.

So, hello, I'm the English one out of the two presenters of that podcast. If we're talking about media that didn't age well... there's one issue of that comic we didn't want to even discuss, but we did an episode about it anyway because we also didn't want to pretend it hadn't happened.

I'm not sure if I should post a picture of it, but long story short, there's a spin-off poster mag that has a full-on racist caricature in it, like, full banned 1940s Merrie Melody level, and we were *shocked* when we saw it. If you want to see it, you can google "Sonic Poster Mag Kid Cruel".

Ooooofft

(episode is here https://stctp.wigglehe.com/?name=2020-02-21_stctpm3.mp3 )

knife_of_justice posted:

Sonic the Comic was the coolest thing ever in 1996 and I never questioned for one moment its position in the official Sonic canon.

You are correct* and this is why we're making the podcast. Never mind those Archists.

*except that one spin-off issue

Komojo posted:

Yeah, the letters page has some Moments. Here's the one that probably brought us up short the most:
https://imgur.com/a/EhwnqYg

(I had webspace back when I used SA the most, can't figure out how to embed an imgur pic sorry)

Buml0r has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Jun 24, 2020

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

We have a Discord set up: https://discord.gg/bkvRYGr

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
comedy forum somethingawful has not aged well

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/this-update-murder/

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Comedy!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

comedy forum somethingawful has not aged well

Not the forums fault really.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

In what is presumably a pre-emptive attelptnto avoid aging badly, Brooklyn 99 is apparently rewriting its entire upcoming season in response to BLM.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So many distended assholes, so little time. :goatsecx:

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Zaroff posted:

Actually that’s pretty accurate! There was a period where Ian Levine (the fan in question) decided he was going to take on a multitude of projects, ranging from animating both a missing episode and completing a story which was abandoned in 1979 due to strike action (both successfully completed, as he had intended selling these to the BBC for release), and then he wanted to make productions of a litany of things he considered canon.

This is where things got messy, since the other projects were live action features being made on a significantly smaller budget, or basically slideshows with photoshopped pictures. It was unimpressive to say the least, and laughable at best.

He did create a 40 minute trailer of all these projects, which was either leaked or officially released. I’m not sure if it’s still online or whether he took it down...

Heh. Ian Levine is also a music producer (yes, it's the same dude). He wrote/produced some songs for a band I like. Ten years later, the lead singer of the band wrote a book and took the time to describe Ian Levine as a "greedy bastard" who was terrible at his job...they had kinder words to say about people who literally tried to sue them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

In what is presumably a pre-emptive attelptnto avoid aging badly, Brooklyn 99 is apparently rewriting its entire upcoming season in response to BLM.

They all quit the police force and start a detective agency.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

They should just pull an Archer and make the show about something other than cops, outside the occasional joke nothing actually relied on them being in the NYPD.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Solice Kirsk posted:

Big Mad Drongo posted:

They should just pull an Archer and make the show about something other than cops, outside the occasional joke nothing actually relied on them being in the NYPD.

:hmmyes:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter for the first time in over a decade and man did a lot of the humor in that not age well

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then take over a high school Gym and Juice Bar, when the previous owner mysteriously disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

maltesh posted:

And then take over a high school Gym and Juice Bar, when the previous owner mysteriously disappears.

I appreciate this reference.