Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

All the still-alive CA governors made a video encouraging mask-wearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMydOvlqcck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I don't know if anyone here would know, but how is the military handling coronavirus? I have a couple former students who just graduated and are excited to leave for basic. They've contacted me a few times about it and I'm happy that they're excited, but then I was just thinking about it and wondering how the military is handling it. Between barracks, dining, training, etc. it looks like they'd constantly be in close quarters all the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I don't know if anyone here would know, but how is the military handling coronavirus? I have a couple former students who just graduated and are excited to leave for basic. They've contacted me a few times about it and I'm happy that they're excited, but then I was just thinking about it and wondering how the military is handling it. Between barracks, dining, training, etc. it looks like they'd constantly be in close quarters all the time.
Some graduates got sick at West Point when our stupid President forced them to all go up there for the graduation, which was not what the school had originally planned.

Other than that I just know about those outbreaks on several Navy ships but I'm sure a lot of the information about military outbreaks is being kept quiet on purpose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ask in the Internet VFW.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like it's a don't ask don't tell situation.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1274043027049385986

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Bleusilences posted:

I live in Quebec and we finally got some number under the 100 and zero death. I am hopeful that things stay that way here for awhile. I am still going to wear a mask, especially since I commute by bus.

Man comment tu la manque dans ton post!!!

We had 69 cases yesterday!

Je te laisse le layup pour completer le shitpost

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

My home state of FL just hit 100K today

Guy on my FB feed just went on vacation to Universal Studios Florida today with his family. Him, his wife, and five kids. They are huge chuds. Posting photos of them getting on an empty plane.

How they are letting people into Florida right now is insane.

UW Madison just started letting student-athletes back in for practice for school reopening in fall. Two are already sick.

I think we all know school is going to be remote next year at this point. There is no way. One kid gets it the entire place has to be shut down and disinfected by CDC guidelines.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the virus is mutating so that it will be drastically less harmful. I'm really not confident that governments are going to do much more to try to protect us, or that people will be responsible

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

At this point, I'm just hoping that the virus is mutating so that it will be drastically less harmful. I'm really not confident that governments are going to do much more to try to protect us, or that people will be responsible

Do viruses frequently mutate to be LESS harmful?

Considering how this originated (in a lab in Wuhan after a psy ops mission by the CIA obviously), I'm just joking it doesn't get drastically worse. Just the fact that it's not really affecting kids at all is a Godsend.

I wonder if MAGA chuds and other morons would take it slightly more seriously if it was wiping out children rather than primarily Boomers and older. they wouldn't, they lust for capitalism-facilitated death, preferably one that fucks over as many other innocent people as possible

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

stab posted:

chaque fois que j'entends le covid19 je me trouve perdu en pensant du Big Bird

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

sticksy posted:

I wonder if MAGA chuds and other morons would take it slightly more seriously if it was wiping out children rather than primarily Boomers and older. they wouldn't, they lust for capitalism-facilitated death, preferably one that fucks over as many other innocent people as possible

I wonder if funeral homes and crematoriums have seen a statistically significant increase in revenue in any of these places.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

sticksy posted:

Considering how this originated (in a lab in Wuhan after a psy ops mission by the CIA obviously), I'm just joking it doesn't get drastically worse. Just the fact that it's not really affecting kids at all is a Godsend.

My understanding is viruses typically mutate to become less dangerous in order to be less likely to kill off the host and spread more widely as populations gain immunity. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

stab posted:

Agréable

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

compshateme85 posted:

I wonder if funeral homes and crematoriums have seen a statistically significant increase in revenue in any of these places.

More bodies don't necessarily mean more money for funeral homes--my understanding is most funeral homes make their money off products and services like coffins, catering, embalming, use of the funeral home to hold the funeral, etc. Cremations are much less profitable, for example. And with most funerals being socially distanced affairs now, I have to imagine they make much less per body than they did pre-COVID. Plus, added costs for PPE, etc. So, who knows.

e: One article on the subject, from googling: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2020/04/21/how-the-pandemic-is-killing-the-death-business/#477f8ae46c64 - includes the classy phrase "upsell the bereaved," which, to be fair, is a pretty good summation of the funeral home business model

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 23, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Beartaco posted:

My understanding is viruses typically mutate to become less dangerous in order to be less likely to kill off the host and spread more widely as populations gain immunity. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

I feel like that might be true for something like ebola, where the obvious ill health and imminent death of the host limits the spread. For something like CV19 with a wide spread and asymptomatic spreaders, I don't know if the same selection forces are at play. Every host is another petri dish accumulating mutations too, which means the more it spreads the more it will respond to whatever selective pressures its under.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

They usually do, but it takes centuries.

It is theorised that the Spanish Flu was the inverse case, in that a more severe sickness brought the young man who contracted it off the front lines and into a rear hospital, where the virus could circulate widely.

Then there is HIV, which is a nightmare scenario. Before we developed targeted antivirals, it was completely fatal, but not in a way that hindered its spread, since it took years to progress from infection to death, or even major symptoms.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beartaco posted:

IIRC that happens because viruses mutate all the time, and the one that spreads the best becomes the dominant strain. Strains that kill too fast (like Ebola) have a high chance of burning themselves out.

That seems unlikely to be a factor with Covid19 because the dominant strain already spreads really well. People can be walking around contagious with few or no noticeable symptoms at all for days or weeks. With symptoms folks may feel sick, but not sick enough to be bedridden, and then start to feel better before collapsing again -- lots of opportunities to shed virions on their family, co-workers, and fellow shoppers. The people who die in hospitals often die very slowly, giving them lots of chances to spread illness even to healthcare workers with good PPE.

It already kills less than 5% of the infected, I doubt a strain that killed even fewer would have much of an advantage. Likewise the long term lung and kidney damage of many survivors doesn't inconvenience covid at all, so there is no reason for a strain that does less long term damage to become dominant.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Funny that people are talking about Ebola, HIV, etc., given that those also came to humans via animals, same as the 'rona.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Strains that kill too fast (like Ebola) have a high chance of burning themselves out.
Isn't Ebola only able to spread as well as it does, given its rapid lethality, because virtually every bodily fluid becomes infectious with batfuck-high viral loads? Even then, it tends to burn out.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I think Covid19 is a normal influenza. It's just that our immune system goes apeshit when it finds a flu strain not encountered as a kid. Children are mostly immune to this poo poo because their body treats it as any other flu they first come in contact with and files it up on things to remember.
After it was discovered that blood was clotting up the alveoli the usual treatment in Italy became TONS of anticoagulants as soon as your're getting more that the mildest symptoms. This really eases the pressure on hospitals because a bigger portion of people can ride it out at home.
Poor countries are boned.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tafferling posted:

I think Covid19 is a normal influenza. It's just that our immune system goes apeshit when it finds a flu strain not encountered as a kid. Children are mostly immune to this poo poo because their body treats it as any other flu they first come in contact with and files it up on things to remember.
After it was discovered that blood was clotting up the alveoli the usual treatment in Italy became TONS of anticoagulants as soon as your're getting more that the mildest symptoms. This really eases the pressure on hospitals because a bigger portion of people can ride it out at home.

Source your quotes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tafferling posted:

It's literally not influenza. Influenza is caused by influenza viruses. Covid is caused by a coronavirus. Totally different family of virus.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

sticksy posted:

It's not unheard of. Mutations that reduce virulence but increase infectiousness are basically perfect for ensuring that strain is as successful as possible in reproducing.

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
Im not in medicine, but I think the ideal for spreading is no symptoms and easy infection. Most symptoms are your body trying to get rid of the disease or to help the disease spread. Killing the host is self limiting.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coughing is a symptom and boy if you're a virion you want some coughing action

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimal_virulence

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Even a Fox News poll shows a huge majority of people think that people wearing masks is OK, political rallies are a bad idea right now, and are somewhat to very concerned about the spread of coronavirus: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-voters-say-yes-to-face-masks-no-to-rallies They could also only find 23% of people who said the spread was completely or mostly under control.

When these are the numbers Fox is putting out, it should be relatively easy to pass new mitigation measures and get the vast majority of people following them but it's a boring narrative for the 24 hour news cycle so they keep trotting out these "what if...?" gently caress heads as if anybody wants to hear about some tech-fin bro's salvia dream about how blockchain can patent the virus and we'll all profit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greazeball posted:

Even a Fox News poll shows a huge majority of people think that people wearing masks is OK

Also doctors are speaking up and telling people that masks don't actually make you sick

https://twitter.com/EM_RESUS/status/1275068477078818820

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Holy poo poo, that woman's Twitter is a hell of a trip.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What's a speed coach?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Another Bill posted:

Larry mon larry

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bleusilences posted:

What's a speed coach?

Speedwagons younger brother?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Another Bill posted:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

stab posted:

Right my man, 69 cases yesterday!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

I have a friend who has been in since HS. He is an MP in South Carolina now. I know a couple weeks ago he told me they were testing just over a thousand soldiers. Very few came back positive, and none of the 107 people under him were positive.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I didn't see it mention here yet.

In a german meat packing plant that has around 7000 workers they had an outbreak of the roni having more than 1500 testing positive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53149762

The main issue was that the company housed a lot of workers from countries like Poland, Romania and Bulgaria in small lovely apartments where they almost slept shoulder to shoulder.

The larger area around the plant is now under lockdown again.

Good job capitalism.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The funeral industry is, as Jessica Mitford put it in The American Way of Death back in 63, a fuckin poo poo rear end bitch

It is okay to not worry about funeral directors and their predatory tactics against the grieving

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bad news, guys. Swedish people are "starting to lose faith" in their country's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak. 59 000 cases and 5000+ deaths and they're only NOW starting to lose faith in a plan that was literally "do nothing and hope poo poo works itself out somehow"?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Bad news, guys. Swedish people are "starting to lose faith" in their country's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak. 59 000 cases and 5000+ deaths and they're only NOW starting to lose faith in a plan that was literally "do nothing and hope poo poo works itself out somehow"?

To be fair that's a very swedish plan

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Der Shovel posted:

It's worked for Trump. Great plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I didn't get why every other northern european country made fun of the Swedish but now I guess I understand why.