Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarnop posted:

That would include most of the CAG who, apparently, didn't know how commander is played, prompting the recent rule change.

Jimmy and Josh (CAG member) had a point about this: they don't need more people who know the rules inside and out. They already have the RC, who are all old judges and poo poo. The reason for the CAG was to get input from those who more directly interface with the community.

Besides, this is not like thinking that Mountainwalk stops Trample or something; this is a medium-arcane interaction of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the 2013 ruling that used to apply

now of course this is no longer the case

Ah I didn’t know there was a specific ruling about it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I went back 40 something pages to where you were all posting your decks, and Framboise, if you have a deck list for your Queen Marchesa list I'd love to see it. I've run both a board wipe heavy list, and basically curse tribal and neither were quite what I was hoping for

Magnetic North posted:

Jimmy and Josh (CAG member) had a point about this: they don't need more people who know the rules inside and out. They already have the RC, who are all old judges and poo poo. The reason for the CAG was to get input from those who more directly interface with the community.

Besides, this is not like thinking that Mountainwalk stops Trample or something; this is a medium-arcane interaction of the rules.

This is a fair point. I think I just have a bad reaction to thinking about the CAG because, other than Josh, the ones I've heard talking seem to want a very different game than me and my friends

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

I went back 40 something pages to where you were all posting your decks, and Framboise, if you have a deck list for your Queen Marchesa list I'd love to see it. I've run both a board wipe heavy list, and basically curse tribal and neither were quite what I was hoping for

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rattlesnake-fortress-of-the-black-rose/

Usual reminder that this deck is only really effective in sluggish battlecruiser games and is severely outdated.

I've been kicking around the idea of building a new version of the deck that I hope (but am very doubtful) can make it at least fringe cEDH playable. If not that, I have another idea that can just make it a really mean deck with a couple unique wincons.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks, and I'd be very interested to hear about those decks if you make them. I love the Monarch mechanic so much, and would have it in every game if I could make my friends see the light. Maybe I need to buy a crown

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I won't spoil the not-cEDH* idea I have just yet. I want to see what a draft of the deck looks like first.

(Note: I'll be optimizing the build with cEDH in mind, but whether or not it's viable... it probably is not but it'll be *hilarious* if it is.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I picked up (well, reserved) a Primal Genesis Precon for €25, and I have always liked that basic deck.

Not looking to expend it too much, planning to throw like 25-30 more bucks at it in total. All the token doublers are those 20+ BUX cards :smith: But a lot of the Populate effect cards are cheap. :unsmith:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's hosed up and dumb that Anointed Procession and/or Parallel Lives weren't in Primal Genesis

I can understand WoTC not wanting to reprint Doubling Season in a precon(the reason is that they're bastards that value the secondary market too much), but those two would have been fine.

Procession was at least reprinted in one of the C20 decks, though. ...or not? I thought that this was supposed to be in the C20 tokens deck?

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 13, 2020

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

They're kinda hosed with some secondary market cards. Like Fierce Guardianship is so expensive that the deck with it it sold out everywhere and not available for MSRP. If Doubling Season was in a precon, speculators would run on it and it's still gonna cost too much because the decks themselves go up in price from unscrupulous retailers and resellers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That kind of brilliant foresight goes all the way back to the first commander precons and scavenging ooze. The Fierce cycle was such a perfect shitstorm that I can see them showing up again at the very least in the Zendikar precons in an effort to drive the price down.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the new precon that has the counter that's free if your commander is out has been completely sold out for awhile now thanks to that, and was going for like $70 where they still had stock

i'd say that's nuts, but that counter's now something like a $40 card, so it makes sense really

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s simply too good. They printed a blue card that’s more universally applicable than Cyclonic Rift for crying out loud!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's bizarre that they reprint cards that are too scarce (and expensive) but increase the rarity to Mythic so the price doesn't drop at all. Or put them as Mythics in $20 collectors and Masters packs. Is it too much to ask that they just print staples as uncommon and rare and let the price be $5-$10, even if it was priced higher for a little while?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

It's bizarre that they reprint cards that are too scarce (and expensive) but increase the rarity to Mythic so the price doesn't drop at all. Or put them as Mythics in $20 collectors and Masters packs. Is it too much to ask that they just print staples as uncommon and rare and let the price be $5-$10, even if it was priced higher for a little while?

"We don't acknowledge the secondary market", they say as they directly choose expensive cards and make only expensive ways to get them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the new precon that has the counter that's free if your commander is out has been completely sold out for awhile now thanks to that, and was going for like $70 where they still had stock

i'd say that's nuts, but that counter's now something like a $40 card, so it makes sense really

If you're willing to go out to a big box store there's a good chance to find them there on a Friday or Saturday when they do the restock. I just picked up Timeless Wisdom for msrp past Saturday at a local target. And they've already said they're doing a second larger print run this summer since the initial one was cut short due to Corona.

I'm just curious if a bunch of the precon Commanders will be downshifted in rarity for Commander Legends. Keeping a lot out because they're artificially mythic seems like it would make the set stumble a bit.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Infinite Karma posted:

tbqh the price doesn't always fail to drop, especially if you consider "minimum price to play card X" instead of "price of a NM P3K card X"

this post made by Maze of Ith Used To Be $40 Gang

EDIT: obviously reprint rarity affects it, but the printing that dropped it to $20 was From the Vault

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 13, 2020

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know. You would expect a member of the CAG to have played with enough of the community that someone would've pointed out they were playing their commander's death effect wrong. Every random group I've played commander with already understood how replacement effects work. The old rule was not "medium-arcane."

That said, this change is pretty cool, and I kinda want to put Child of Alara back together without all the reanimation effects that used to be required to make it playable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All I can say is that in the last 2 years I’ve had the bummer of explaining to 2 new players (both of whom were women with their first Commander decks!) that “Elenda didn’t quite work that way, but we’ll be happy to play with you using those rules because honestly that’s how it should work.” and that was a very dumb conversation to have and now we don’t have to have it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So I’ve been making some commander YouTube content for a few weeks and just finished a video for next week about the Top 5 cards Wizards needs to reprint next.

By the time I edited the video and today wizards announced 4 of 5 of those cards to be in Jumpstart.

I was harsh about Double Masters (rightly so) but if they keep up the reprints like in Jumpstart and M21 we’re in a good place.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

So I’ve been making some commander YouTube content for a few weeks and just finished a video for next week about the Top 5 cards Wizards needs to reprint next.

By the time I edited the video and today wizards announced 4 of 5 of those cards to be in Jumpstart.

I was harsh about Double Masters (rightly so) but if they keep up the reprints like in Jumpstart and M21 we’re in a good place.

Pick a pile, any pile.

Chrome Mox
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mox Opal
Phyrexian Arena

Enlightened Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Worldly Tutor

Concordant Crossroads
Mana Echoes
Food Chain
Sylvan Library
Stasis

SDT
Scroll Rack
Krark-Clan Ironworks
Cursed Totem
Jet Medallion

Tainted Pact
Toxic Deluge
Mana Drain
Ad Nauseum
Damnation

Hermit Druid
Dockside Extortionist
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
Bloom Tender
Oracle of Mul Daya

Three Visits
Ravages of War
Capture of Jingzhou
Hunting Cheetah
Control of the Court

Ancient Tomb
Tarnished Citadel
Command Beacon
Cavern of Souls
Reflecting Pool

Basandra, Battle Seraph
Sydri, Galvanic Genius
Echo of Eons
Enter the Infinite
Force of Will

Carpet of Flowers
Carpet of Flowers
Carpet of Flowers
Carpet of Flowers
Carpet of Flowers

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Pick a pile, any pile.

Concordant Crossroads
Mana Echoes
Food Chain
Sylvan Library
Stasis

The "wait, these aren't Reserve List?!" pile for sure.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Selvala and Oracle of Mul Daya have been announced for Jumpstart. Oracle was on my original list.

With more Jumpstart spoilers pending I’m going to hold off on re-recording until they’re done.

As a note I’ve already done a list on Top 5 lands to be reprinted, Top 5 artifacts to be reprinted, and Top 5 “double” themed reprints.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Carpet of Flowers has come down a lot. I'm surprised it took so long for people to discover it, I bought it in early 2018 for like 5 bucks

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Heath posted:

Carpet of Flowers has come down a lot. I'm surprised it took so long for people to discover it, I bought it in early 2018 for like 5 bucks

It's only good if your opponents are good.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the only thing i hate about my lord windgrace deck is when i drop a prismatic omen or dryad of the ilysian groves and then someone plays carpet of flowers

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
I've been having fun with my Marchesa's Grixis Goblins deck, but it needs some help. In addition to making a spot for Muxus (who seems perfect for it), what would you cut? I want to add more counters to protect my combos. I want to make room for Counterspell, Annul, and Negate at the minimum. It usually wins with Splinter Twinnish things or goblin go-wide. I have yet to hit Grenzo/Soldevi Digger/Ashnod's Altar/Murderous Redcap but that's too fun not to try for. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pantsless Hero posted:

I've been having fun with my Marchesa's Grixis Goblins deck, but it needs some help. In addition to making a spot for Muxus (who seems perfect for it), what would you cut? I want to add more counters to protect my combos. I want to make room for Counterspell, Annul, and Negate at the minimum. It usually wins with Splinter Twinnish things or goblin go-wide. I have yet to hit Grenzo/Soldevi Digger/Ashnod's Altar/Murderous Redcap but that's too fun not to try for. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Rite, Digger, Bidding, Wash Out, Trumpeter, Zo-Zu

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Anyone have any budget Locust God lists? Specifically looking for sub-$100 if at all possible. Finally order the Jeskai cycling precon and figured I'd build my favorite commander of all time before moving on to the shark bros.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

serefin99 posted:

Anyone have any budget Locust God lists? Specifically looking for sub-$100 if at all possible. Finally order the Jeskai cycling precon and figured I'd build my favorite commander of all time before moving on to the shark bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vibFdU3Lo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Locust God

Skullclamp
Trinket Mage
90 Island
7 Mountain

Probably the best starting position

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I don't recommend this, or basically any, Commander's Quarters lists. They are a quick way to spend $25 on absolute trash that you'll spend $50 immediately replacing because it doesn't work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Toshimo posted:

I don't recommend this, or basically any, Commander's Quarters lists. They are a quick way to spend $25 on absolute trash that you'll spend $50 immediately replacing because it doesn't work.

Oh, bummer. I thought he was well-regarded as a youtube person.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Oh, bummer. I thought he was well-regarded as a youtube person.

He is, Toshimo just likes to push players towards higher powered lists and cards that are good in multiple decks. Commander’s Quarters is a great budget resource and his video on 5-Color budget manabases really helped me out with my 5-Color eldrazi build.

That said a handful of his most recent videos have been terrible, but he’s also one of the only people in the community pushing “3 mana is not ramp” right now and that’s a good thing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I am of the mind that you don't need to break the bank with every deck, but if you spend a dollar or two on a card that you'll use in multiple decks for years, then that's a better investment than a 1-off 25-cent card that isn't even good in the deck you are buying it for. I didn't start getting people linking me CQ videos until recently, and the ones I've seen have been not good.

Edit: I also don't know where he gets his prices, but they seem to skew lower than I'd expect. Basically, because of the cost of labor and shipping, basically any card worth even considering has had a price floor of ~25 cents for quite a while now, and it may not seem like much when he adds a bunch of cards at 5 to 10 cents, but when you spread difference that over a 99 card deck, his "$25 budget decks" are typically closer to $100 decks, which is what I tell people to budget for, anyway.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 23, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
CQ has lost a lot of my favor over the past while. He used to build some really solid decks that actually had some nice punch to them (his Zada and Edric lists come to mind), but lately it feels like he's been making up lists that are even more bulky than precons.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

That said a handful of his most recent videos have been terrible, but he’s also one of the only people in the community pushing “3 mana is not ramp” right now and that’s a good thing.

Yeah, this is key. I think he's been grinding the algo a bit hard and is having trouble maintaining what made him good a year ago, but at the same point he gets it in a lot of ways that other creators don't (or have been slow to realize). I hope he finds a way to come out of the skid and do well.

I'm also with Tosh: it'd be great if he had a video series that is like, "What cards are decently priced that will you actually re-use?" Of course, in reality, they would all just be lands and artifact ramp.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That's one thing I like a lot about cEDH. We've got a list of staples that belong in a ton of decks, and if you have them, you won't have to buy much should you want to try something new. Sure, playing the best staples does lead to a little homogeneity in the format but I don't think that's bad when you're using the cream of the crop.

Does casual EDH also have a list of staples, or is it more "make the best of what you've got"? Because I figure there'd be a lot of overlap with cEDH staples since a lot of those cards aren't actually all that expensive. Like yeah you've got the expensive tutors and rocks and lands but you've also got cheaper tutors, talismans and signets, removal like swords to plowshares and nature's claim, etc.

I'd venture to say one could build a completely serviceable and very solid deck on a budget. Kind of want to give it a try just as proof of concept.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

I'm also with Tosh: it'd be great if he had a video series that is like, "What cards are decently priced that will you actually re-use?" Of course, in reality, they would all just be lands and artifact ramp.

Sure, I do this every few months. Here's a bunch of sub-$2 that you'd get mileage out of (and none of it is ramp). You'd be amazed looking at some of my older posts where I begged people to pick up stuff that was not reprinted and way under rate and now that stuff is $10 or $20 (or, in the case of Tainted Pact, $75).

Aegis of the Gods
Arguel's Blood Fast
Artifact Mutation
Ashiok, Dream Render
Aven Mindcensor
Beast Within
Blink of an Eye
Brainstorm
Cindervines
Counterspell
Crop Rotation
Daretti, Scrap Savant
Despark
Destiny Spinner
Dismember
Domri, Anarch of Bolas
Dovin's Veto
Dovin, Hand of Control
Drannith Magistrate
Drift of Phantasms
Drown in the Loch
Elemental Bond
Faithless Looting
Frantic Search
Go For the Throat
Goblin Electromancer
Grim Haruspex
Hammer of Purphoros
Hull Breach
Hushbringer
Hushwing Gryff
Impulse
Into the Roil
Izzet Charm
Kinjalli's Sunwing
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
Leonin Arbiter
Manglehorn
Miscalculation
Mission Briefing
Mother of Runes
Muddle the Mixture
Nahiri, the Harbinger
Narset, Parter of Veils
Nature's Claim
Negate
Night's Whisper
Nissa, steard of Elements
Notion Thief
Oakhame Adversary
Phyrexian Revoker
Plaguecrafter
Pyroclasm
Qasali Pridemage
Reality Shift
Reclamation Sage
Return to Nature
Rhythm of the Wild
Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
Snap
Snuff Out
Spell Pierce
Stony Silence
Swords to Plowshares
Tamiyo, Collector of Tales
Terminate
Teyo, the Shieldmage
Thrashing Brontodon
Thrummingbird
Treasure Mage
Tribute Mage
Trinket Mage
Trophy Mage
Trygon Predator
Unspeakable Symbol
Unwind
Viscera Seer
Vivien, Champion of the Wilds

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Honestly, there are a lot of $2-$5 "staples" that will be very reusable, but at that price range, you can't build a $100 deck from nothing. Stuff like Sol Ring, Skullclamp, Underworld Breach, Arcane Signet cost more than $0.25 bulk commons/uncommons, but they'll always be able to find a home in your decks instead of being the first cuts you make. Good countermagic, card draw/tutors, and removal will also get reused a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I whipped together a Budget Kinnan deck as sort of a proof of concept that you can build a playable deck and not destroy your wallet. I'd consider this to be an entry-level cEDH deck as I included a large number of staples, but very few actually expensive ones (I think the only ones I added that were over $10 were Finale of Devastation and Isochron Scepter?). Deck price comes to about $180-- cheaper than some individual cards in budgetless cEDH decks!

I didn't put way too much thought into it, so I'm sure the other cEDH-minded folks here can give more ideas/thoughts on what could be changed or made better as I'm surely missing some great options.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/THuYSrB-HkGV5wkvUpZvqQ

Cards in the list that you could use in other decks as staples:
Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy
Narset, Parter of Veils
Arbor Elf
Biomancer's Familiar
Birds of Paradise
Destiny Spinner
Elvish Mystic
Eternal Witness
Fyndhorn Elves
Llanowar Elves
Oakhame Adversary
Phyrexian Revoker
Priest of Titania
Seedborn Muse
Thassa's Oracle
Tidal Barracuda
Eldritch Evolution
Finale of Devastation
Gitaxian Probe
Neoform
Ponder
Preordain
Regrowth
Windfall
Autumn's Veil
Brainstorm
Blink of an Eye/Into the Roil (I only put one in the list, feel free to buy and use both as they are both incredibly cheap and very much identical
Counterspell
Delay
Dispel
Dramatic Reversal
Fact or Fiction
Impulse
Misdirection
Muddle the Mixture
Nature's Claim
Negate
Spell Pierce
Stroke of Genius
Veil of Summer
Whir of Invention
Winds of Rebuke
Arcane Signet
Basalt Monolith
Codex Shredder
Isochron Scepter
Pithing Needle
Simic Signet
Sol Ring
Talisman of Curiosity
Back to Basics
Defense of the Heart
Kenrith's Transformation
Legacy's Allure
Utopia Sprawl
Wild Growth
Command Tower
Exotic Orchard
Yavimaya Coast

59 of the cards are staples that you can play in any other deck. Some of the others work in some decks.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 23, 2020