Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Peacoffee posted:

I mean do you ever play with someone else and take turns? It’s really not a purity test of means

No not really and that's different to watching a stream where you don't play the game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JBP posted:

Cool congrats on watching someone else play the game.

Why are you like this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dogstile posted:

Why are you like this?

I don't understand the point of watching someone else play a jump scare horror game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

JBP posted:

Ellie becomes a hosed up emotional cripple with no friends and a hosed hand then wanders off into the forests. The end
So not that different from Big Boss when you get right down to it, really.

dogstile posted:

Why are you like this?
Yeah, seriously, this kind of "if you didn't play it yourself, your opinion isn't valid" elitism is bullshit. We live in an age of video game streaming as a mass medium of entertainment, people. Just adjust already.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The gameplay is dated at best and this game is meant to be about the story. What's not to get?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dogstile posted:

The gameplay is dated at best and this game is meant to be about the story. What's not to get?

The gameplay was great. Like it's ND gameplay, but it's great.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

JBP posted:

The gameplay was great. Like it's ND gameplay, but it's great.

No one has to play it to get a feel for the gameplay if they’ve touched a single ND game though

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 23, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It is now elitist to actually play the game.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

JBP posted:

I don't understand the point of watching someone else play a jump scare horror game.

The jump scares aren't hugely dependent on being the player - given the number of jump scare movies that should be evident.

And watching someone else play it that has entertaining reactions to it adds to the experience for a lot of people, which is one of the major draws of watching streamers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JBP posted:

It's now elitist to give people poo poo for not wanting to touch ND gameplay (because its the same poo poo every time) and just talk about the story, which is the main thing people engage in the last of us for, yes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

JBP posted:

Using the fact that they "only" watched someone playing it for twelve hours instead of doing so themselves as a beatstick, because it's an easy way to devalue any criticism of the game that they might have? Certainly is. If that wasn't what you were trying to do, I apologize. It's just pretty common to see these days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo posted:

The jump scares aren't hugely dependent on being the player - given the number of jump scare movies that should be evident.

And watching someone else play it that has entertaining reactions to it adds to the experience for a lot of people, which is one of the major draws of watching streamers.

Yeah playing the game yourself does make a difference against stuff like stalkers and choosing what you are actually going to do in a situation. Having someone else speak over the game souinds awful so I think we can agree that watching the game is for some people but not for me and I don't think you are getting the experience of playing the game by watching it. This conversation will create a lot of no content posts with no one caring what the other is saying, so I'm sorry for saying anything but I don't concede.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

hell I fuckin bought it because thread said no discussing it unless you bought it (which...whatever lol) and i’m having fun like I thought I might (just bought it earlier because of said discussion) but it’s perfectly fair to laugh at the people suggesting this is Schindler’s List or that it must be played to be understood.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Not really a hill I would die on, but the engagement you have while playing is wildly different compared to the engagement you have while watching.
Well, that's my case, at least.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well, it was a good thread we had, at least for a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Peacoffee posted:

hell I fuckin bought it because thread said no discussing it unless you bought it (which...whatever lol) and i’m having fun like I thought I might (just bought it earlier because of said discussion) but it’s perfectly fair to laugh at the people suggesting this is Schindler’s List or that it must be played to be understood.

Yeah I think we can all agree on the clowny reactions to the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Full disclosure, i've played it. I just don't think I see much of a difference in watching rather than playing because the major story beats will be the same. It's not like you get choice in this game. :shrug:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Why would someone watch someone else play a 20 hour game they don't like

I also don't think it's crazy to suggest that actually playing a game is a different experience to watching it

In addition to not actually experiencing the gameplay youre getting someone's commentary and playstyle that influences your perception

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dogstile posted:

Full disclosure, i've played it. I just don't think I see much of a difference in watching rather than playing because the major story beats will be the same. It's not like you get choice in this game. :shrug:

I guess for me it's the difference between going "Christ that was harrowing" after a tough fight then right into a cutscene versus kicking back throughout the gameplay and not having to do anything. Conversely as discussed previously it's really loving irritating knowing you would climb out the back window of a house and gently caress off after finding the fireflies rather than walk back onto the gang tag streets you were firing a gun in ten minutes ago.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Peacoffee posted:

hell I fuckin bought it because thread said no discussing it unless you bought it (which...whatever lol)

The only person not allowed to post ITT if they have not actually played the game is Stux.

As he mentioned he has no intention of actually doing so.

Which effectively stops him posting ITT.

Call it the Fuckwit Clause.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Wait, I've said many times I think it's not a story that resonates with everyone, but I can assure you I don't really enjoy watching someone play a game I want to play.
To me, the feeling I had to mash square to overwhelm Ellie (or Abby as well), but I didn't really want to because I was afraid that would lead to a death scene, and couldn't really have a say in how the situation would've pan out, that's part of the experience.
I understand that's subjective, it doesn't mean you can't have a meaningful opinion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Char posted:

Not really a hill I would die on, but the engagement you have while playing is wildly different compared to the engagement you have while watching.
Well, that's my case, at least.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I also don't think it's crazy to suggest that actually playing a game is a different experience to watching it

In addition to not actually experiencing the gameplay youre getting someone's commentary and playstyle that influences your perception
I don't think you two are wrong, really, but I also don't think it matters as much as some people say it does. I see it as a bit like watching a movie for the first on TV as compared to watching it for the first time in an actual movie theater. The experience is certainly different, but it's also not that different when it comes to allowing you to form your own opinion about what you're seeing.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Infinitum posted:

The only person not allowed to post ITT if they have not actually played the game is Stux.

As he mentioned he has no intention of actually doing so.

Which effectively stops him posting ITT.

Call it the Fuckwit Clause.

Lmao fair enough

And now about the actual game. Question: about wheninthegame/whointhegame gets to use a bow

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 23, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think you two are wrong, really, but I also don't think it matters as much as some people say it does. I see it as a bit like watching a movie for the first on TV as compared to watching it for the first time in an actual movie theater. The experience is certainly different, but it's also not that different when it comes to allowing you to form your own opinion about what you're seeing.

I feel like the difference is huge. The panicky reactions you have to a mistake or the satisfaction of good play, clean kills, whatever feed into the experience for me. Like if I wanted to watch something and feel things I wouldn't watch a videogame.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Peacoffee posted:

Lmao fair enough

And now about the actual game. Question: about wheninthegame/whointhegame gets to use a bow

Ellie gets a bow maybe a third of the way through her story? Abby gets a Crossbow about halfway through her story.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a dumb old argument that gets wheeled out every so often.

"Why are you watching [SPORT] on TV, when you can be playing [SPORT] yourself?"
"Why are you watching [GAME] being live streamed, when you can be playing [GAME] yourself?"

People enjoy and experience media in different ways.

The book is always better though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Peacoffee posted:

Ellie gets a bow on day 2. Abby gets a crossbow as well, but it isn't quite as good and she doesn't get explosive Rambo arrows.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

dogstile posted:

This is my largest complaint. The only other naughty dog game I've played is the first Last of Us so playing this is like a blast from the past.
"Oh look a bunch of chest high square obstacles arranged in an open area, I wonder if enemies show up" :effort:.

It's like they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about gameplay at all. I was excited for the first little open area that you explore with dina and your horse, will there be cool mechanics in larger scale environments? Nope just lovely little arenas that they lock you into with scripted cutscenes. Neat.

Sure does look nice though. And they added rope puzzles with good rope physics so I guess there's that.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

JBP posted:

Ellie gets a bow on day 2. Abby gets a crossbow as well, but it isn't quite as good and she doesn't get explosive Rambo arrows.

Ah, the compelling story of Boris the Archer! That was a cool bit actually.

Infinitum posted:

It's a dumb old argument that gets wheeled out every so often.

"Why are you watching [SPORT] on TV, when you can be playing [SPORT] yourself?"
"Why are you watching [GAME] being live streamed, when you can be playing [GAME] yourself?"

People enjoy and experience media in different ways.

The book is always better though.

Yeah that's controversial for me as well, but this comes from someone who doesn't watch sports and doesn't watch game streamers.
I mean, the world proves me it's not the norm, but I don't really get much enjoyment from these two activities.

Char fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 23, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't really have any problem with people watching a game rather than actually playing it, but most of the people in here that have done that have been wrong about a lot of stuff and I don't think it's the same as actually experiencing it, even in a linear game. You're a step removed.

I wouldn't watch a movie through an apartment store window and think I got the full experience.

Still, diff'rent strokes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tres Burritos posted:

This is my largest complaint. The only other naughty dog game I've played is the first Last of Us so playing this is like a blast from the past.
"Oh look a bunch of chest high square obstacles arranged in an open area, I wonder if enemies show up" :effort:.

I think it's kind of cute that the entire game maintains this, so you don't actually know if enemies will pop out. I crept across many rooftops using cover for absolutely no reason.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

JBP posted:

I think it's kind of cute that the entire game maintains this, so you don't actually know if enemies will pop out. I crept across many rooftops using cover for absolutely no reason.

Yeah, there's more than a few places where I got ready for a fight and one never came.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

If the game kept records of it it would show me crouched for 80% of the save file

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Same, I was pretty much always crouching and after a while I understood every single fight is telegraphed or started through a scare cutscene.
I didn't really care much for the cue signaling the fight's over, as well. I think I would've liked a more tense experience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JBP posted:

I feel like the difference is huge. The panicky reactions you have to a mistake or the satisfaction of good play, clean kills, whatever feed into the experience for me. Like if I wanted to watch something and feel things I wouldn't watch a videogame.
It is, but on the other hand, I think it is sometimes also easier to evaluate the merits and flaws of a game when you're looking at it at a remove. Like, certain things that you'd overlook while playing because the moment-to-moment gameplay is good at pulling you in, but which you'd say in retrospect is badly balanced or repetitive. I think that sort of thing comes across particularly well when you're seeing someone else do it, instead of having your attention pulled this way and that.

Well, whatever, really. I'm not going to tell you how you're supposed to feel about it, I just think it's kind of lovely when I see someone put down people's opinion as if they shouldn't get to have one without personally paying their Game Tax first.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really have any problem with people watching a game rather than actually playing it, but most of the people in here that have done that have been wrong about a lot of stuff and I don't think it's the same as actually experiencing it, even in a linear game. You're a step removed.

I wouldn't watch a movie through an apartment store window and think I got the full experience.

Still, diff'rent strokes.

I don't think those people are getting it wrong due to watching a stream instead of playing it, they're getting it wrong because they're just reading a few tweets about leaks and taking it from there.

Watching and playing are different experiences, but the presentation of the story isn't that reliant on having to play it yourself. There's a case to be made about the emotional tension not being the same, but it's not so far off to say that's why people are wrong about basic things that happen. You don't need to be the person pressing F to pay your respects in order to say that that scene happened.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Char posted:

Wait, I've said many times I think it's not a story that resonates with everyone, but I can assure you I don't really enjoy watching someone play a game I want to play.
To me, the feeling I had to mash square to overwhelm Ellie (or Abby as well), but I didn't really want to because I was afraid that would lead to a death scene, and couldn't really have a say in how the situation would've pan out, that's part of the experience.
I understand that's subjective, it doesn't mean you can't have a meaningful opinion.

Yeah that's a perfectly valid opinion. Like the ending to Brothers just doesn't work on video, you just have to play it to get it. In this case I've decided I wasn't buying the game but I'm still curious to see what a youtuber I enjoy might think of it. The only part that really landed so far for me was Take on Me, I loved it. The rest of Seattle is just boring busywork, but i'm guessing it picks up a bit after that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hobo posted:

Watching and playing are different experiences, but the presentation of the story isn't that reliant on having to play it yourself. There's a case to be made about the emotional tension not being the same, but it's not so far off to say that's why people are wrong about basic things that happen. You don't need to be the person pressing F to pay your respects in order to say that that scene happened.

Sure, but it's certainly less demanding of your attention, which leads to mistakes.

I think the thing about tension and all the subtle ways an experience can stitch itself together when you're actually engaging with it how it's intended to be experienced are pretty important too, but that's obviously a separate point.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RottenK posted:

lots of people legit didn't get that Joel is a bad, or at least morally complicated person

I would argue that it's fairly hard to keep riding that high horse of being a moral beacon of light in a world of unprecedented turmoil.

I would even wager that most people have done some ambiguous if not downright atrocious poo poo 2-3 years into a literal zombie apocalypse with warring factions, scarce resources and a collapsed society. Those who didn't are probably the corpses you see sitting in chairs all over the world, being dead but really nice fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, but on the other hand, I think it is sometimes also easier to evaluate the merits and flaws of a game when you're looking at it at a remove. Like, certain things that you'd overlook while playing because the moment-to-moment gameplay is good at pulling you in, but which you'd say in retrospect is badly balanced or repetitive. I think that sort of thing comes across particularly well when you're seeing someone else do it, instead of having your attention pulled this way and that.

Well, whatever, really. I'm not going to tell you how you're supposed to feel about it, I just think it's kind of lovely when I see someone put down people's opinion as if they shouldn't get to have one without personally paying their Game Tax first.

I think it's easier to get a sense for how a game plays by playing it yourself than watching someone else do it