Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

I always just assumed rosbifs was making fun of the English for being so basic

One time when I was about 10 or so I got into a fight with a French boy on a ferry - we had been kind of hanging out together for a short while despite not being able to converse. Anyway his imitation of me speaking English always stuck with me, it was like "puhbuhbuhpuhpuhbuhbuh" all P and B sounds and ever since that I have wondered what English sounds like to people who don't understand it

It reminds me of the origin of the word "barbarian" which is from the ancient Greeks taking the piss out of how non Greeks sounded. Basically it's "those 'Bah bah bah' talking guys".

Edit: AD129, Emperor Hadrian is all "my ears are burning...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AidanCTweets/status/1275206480191459331

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read somewhere that the sound of people talking in The Sims is supposed to be what english sounds like to non-english speakers. Not sure if true.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Skwerl is fantastic and it deserves not to get stuck at the bottom of a page

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The clinic or whatever mentioned in those tweets had a scandalous expose recently that's driving the TERFs wild since its a pretty decent excuse to ditch the whole thing from the NHS.

Some of the stuff is genuinely hosed up like not taking procedures and consent seriously enough when dealing with kids.

Other stuff is vague references to terf bugbears like the fact that some parents are reported as wanting their kids to transition to make them not gay.

That one obviously fits so well with Terf ideology that they may as well have discovered the bathroom attack classes

It's pretty hosed up, unless it's all completely fabricated the stuff coming out of there is extremely "this is the one thing we didn't want to happen"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

:laugh:

That's amazing. It feels like you are hearing English but someone has messed with the fine tuning

That the video doesn't have auto-generated closed-captioning is criminal.

At least this one does though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsYFwvv-ReQ

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

I love watching that wonky-faced dipshit just explode online.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently he deleted his twitter again or something.

Honestly i kinda wonder if glinner isn't a net positive because if he's the king terf I can only imagine he's putting a lot of people off it by association.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

They are so American

I want to see the same thing but with Geordies.

Fight would be a lot better for one thing :newlol:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

The clinic or whatever mentioned in those tweets had a scandalous expose recently that's driving the TERFs wild since its a pretty decent excuse to ditch the whole thing from the NHS.

Some of the stuff is genuinely hosed up like not taking procedures and consent seriously enough when dealing with kids.

Other stuff is vague references to terf bugbears like the fact that some parents are reported as wanting their kids to transition to make them not gay.

That one obviously fits so well with Terf ideology that they may as well have discovered the bathroom attack classes

It's pretty hosed up, unless it's all completely fabricated the stuff coming out of there is extremely "this is the one thing we didn't want to happen"
It's interesting that they're more mad about this (based on what, one case?) than they are about the forced surgical feminization of neonates, which still continues and is (by definition) done without consent.

What's also interesting is that the consequences of the history of doing this remains one of our strongest pieces of evidence that gender identity is biological, and why 'they are tricking autistic girls into becoming trans men" is less likely than "the neurological structures that lead to autism may have some correlation with the neurological structures that produce a male gender identity."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the entire NHS gender clinic infrastructure is awful and not fit for purpose. trans people hate it because it's under resourced, under staffed, and very slow to adjust its methods to modern practice in how to actually deal with trans people, transphobes hate it because it allows people to transition. just a clusterfuck all round

this is me when anyone ever tries to insult me irl, throwing a printout of all my something awful posts in their face

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'm finding it really hard to believe that there's this fast paced transitioning going on under the NHS. My brother transitioned awhile back and it took years of NHS poo poo to even get started to the point where a GP was witholding his perscription because he didn't believe him.

To get surgery he went private because of the amount of unknowns with the waiting list and when they'd be able to operate. I think it was like they'd just call you eventually and you'd be expected to be avaliable for a slot in like a 2 week time frame and if you couldn't do it then you're back to waiting for months/years.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

this is me when anyone ever tries to insult me irl, throwing a printout of all my something awful posts in their face

that tweet is basically "I consider myself a high-impact comedy writer with a lot to offer"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

i'm finding it really hard to believe that there's this fast paced transitioning going on under the NHS. My brother transitioned awhile back and it took years of NHS poo poo to even get started to the point where a GP was witholding his perscription because he didn't believe him.

To get surgery he went private because of the amount of unknowns with the waiting list and when they'd be able to operate. I think it was like they'd just call you eventually and you'd be expected to be avaliable for a slot in like a 2 week time frame and if you couldn't do it then you're back to waiting for months/years.
It could be the case that it's both too slow (36 month waits) and too fast (under pressure to prescribe once you've got an appointment) but I'd need to see evidence of that and also the solution is, as Angepain said, more funding.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hemale in pain posted:

yeah the gender clinic I went to had I believe the best waiting time and I still had to wait over a year to get my first appointment. some places are like three years. for the children's clinics it's definitely in the region of years

I mean there does need to be better support for questioning-if-i'm-trans people figuring out their stuff, right now the system is so bare-bones that for all practical purposes it's "figure it out by yourself and come to us basically when you're certain". Ideally there would be some counselling available that was completely separate from the people doing treatment so you could feel free to express initial uncertainty without worrying it would dilute your case if you decided to transition later on, and ideally ideally it would all be done on an informed consent basis anyway so you didn't have to feel like you were convincing some guy you were trans.

But no way do I trust these terf groups to suggest anything approaching the correct procedure. like, "how do we judge if this person is able to weigh up the risks in either direction to this procedure and give meaningful consent" is not a brand new issue and the answer is not "always wait until they're 18 also don't trust them if they show signs of autism because that means they can't make choices ever"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

My immediate reaction to that is that the "anti conversion therapy" rider that was talked about in Truss's leaked policy, something that a lot of us were thinking "well, at least there's that" about, is actually something that's only there so they can weaponise it against GICs.

I don't know what to make of the writeup of that programme. I can totally buy that there are parents taking their kids to the GIC with all sorts of hosed up ideas about transness and gayness, and that there are some that would try a line like that. I find it hard to believe that anyone at the GIC would entertain that in prescribing treatment. People on the inside flagging up concerns about "I cannot believe some of the poo poo that these parents come in here with" is, in that scenario, a sign that they're doing their job, weeding out the people coming in with misconceptions. They better had be, frankly; much as I want people to take trans kids seriously so they don't have to go through what I did, I also want people to be careful. And nothing about the GICs I've experienced suggests they aren't careful. Yes they have huge problems coming out of underfunding, the clerical stuff particularly bad with people waiting ages for communication and whatnot.

Angepain posted:

But no way do I trust these terf groups to suggest anything approaching the correct procedure. like, "how do we judge if this person is able to weigh up the risks in either direction to this procedure and give meaningful consent" is not a brand new issue and the answer is not "always wait until they're 18 also don't trust them if they show signs of autism because that means they can't make choices ever"

This

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Angepain posted:

the entire NHS gender clinic infrastructure is awful and not fit for purpose. trans people hate it because it's under resourced, under staffed, and very slow to adjust its methods to modern practice in how to actually deal with trans people, transphobes hate it because it allows people to transition. just a clusterfuck all round

i'd be charged with gbh if not murder if i tried that

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It's a fairly transparent strawman. Nobody is pushing for the scenario of

"GP, I think I might be tra-"
"Ah ah, say no more, here's a year's supply of hormones and a surgery voucher"

Just like nobody is pushing to transition children the second they show any signs of gender non-conformity.

But I think it sounds a bit like the wider NHS - we feel forced to defend it despite its shortcomings, because any admission of problems immediately has the Crowbar of Total Abolition stuck in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Let's start with saying we want GPs hanging out on rooftops with dart guns full of estradiol taking potshots at anyone they think is too masc and then we can compromise on a well funded gender healthcare programme.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol

Guavanaut posted:

It could be the case that it's both too slow (36 month waits) and too fast (under pressure to prescribe once you've got an appointment) but I'd need to see evidence of that and also the solution is, as Angepain said, more funding.

yeah, i mean it's hard and i'm sure mistakes do happen but like ehhhhh i just get the vibe that there's still a ton of transphobes out there and a lot of the articles around it don't seem to connect to reality, or at least what i know my brother experienced, so i find it hard to take them seriously.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The LiDems, a joint venture of the US Democratic Party and ZaNuLieBore

Is Tonty Blair behind this??

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

🎵 Back in the nineties, I wrote for a very famous TV show… 🎶

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1275371427336683520
https://twitter.com/NickStripe_ONS/status/1275362436980359168

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: loving Christ. 6th largest economy in the world, 2nd/3rd highest coronavirus deaths.

Reminds me of when gay marriage got some traction, and people were screaming how they were going to be forced into gay marriage.

Don't get me wrong that's still the plan, but after discussion with our Trans comrades, we've decided to also implement the Mandatory Trans policy - although debates are still being held as to whether it should be before, during, or after the Enforced Gay Marriages.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the forced gay marriage like a shotgun wedding or do they just do the paperwork and post it to you and boom you're now gay married.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

It reminds me of the origin of the word "barbarian" which is from the ancient Greeks taking the piss out of how non Greeks sounded. Basically it's "those 'Bah bah bah' talking guys".

Edit: AD129, Emperor Hadrian is all "my ears are burning...."

They would refer to beer drinking "Thracians, etc, " often as a signifier of barbarian status, as any civilized people would drink wine.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crazy high. 65k*5.5 = 357.5k That would be the equivalent in the US

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Is the forced gay marriage like a shotgun wedding or do they just do the paperwork and post it to you and boom you're now gay married.

Depends what's cheaper; shotgun shells or stamps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but they also diluted their wine so they're weird.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Courier wanted to drop off a package for next door with me since they're out. Coronavirus must really be over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

:lol:

OwlFancier posted:

All straight marriages become gay marriages, your wife gets the autism vaccines and becomes a lesbian, men in kilts steal her and turn her into a man, two dozen men wearing glitter turn your home into a disco, glitter gets everywhere, like you're still finding bits months later. Jews are involved somehow, I think they profit from selling the glitter, this is not antisemitic. This is what Glinner actually believes.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

They would refer to beer drinking "Thracians, etc, " often as a signifier of barbarian status, as any civilized people would drink wine.

Beerbeerians :v:

I'm sure that sounds like "barbarians" said in an accent of English, but I couldn't tell you which one.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1275392532982136842?s=20

lol I'm sure this is totally within the Twitter TOS, just delete the actual tweets but repost them as screenshots and make sure everyone knows you stand by them

his timeline is just him having meltdown about trans people and the woke police and it's like lunchtime on a Wednesday, does he not have something better to be doing with his life than being terminally angry online?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Charlz Guybon posted:

And the Greeks also believed that at funerals you should drink uncut wine.
That was in special designed jugs that didn't have proper bottoms, so the only way you could put it down without spilling your wine was to drink it all.
Very civilized this.

TACD posted:

🎵 I'm Glinner the Terfman. Glinner the Terfman, don't act like you don't know... 🎶

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

All straight marriages become gay marriages, your wife gets the autism vaccines and becomes a lesbian, men in kilts steal her and turn her into a man, two dozen men wearing glitter turn your home into a disco, glitter gets everywhere, like you're still finding bits months later. Jews are involved somehow, I think they profit from selling the glitter, this is not antisemitic. This is what Glinner actually believes.

Ixnay on the aygay anstray anplay :mad:

Bobstar posted:

Beerbeerians :v:

I'm sure that sounds like "barbarians" said in an accent of English, but I couldn't tell you which one.

South African.

sassassin posted:

Courier wanted to drop off a package for next door with me since they're out. Coronavirus must really be over.

"Boris Johnson expected to announce new easing of lockdown restrictions in England from July 4
The prime minister is expected to announce that pubs, restaurants, cinemas and museums will be allowed to reopen in England on July 4, after three months of forced closures amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Johnson could also say that businesses will be able to welcome back customers as long as social distancing and hygiene policies are observed."

Basically "Lockdown is over plebs. Here's your loving pisswater. Now get back to work. Let your blood grease the machine of capital."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

XMNN posted:

his timeline is just him having meltdown about trans people and the woke police and it's like lunchtime on a Wednesday, does he not have something better to be doing with his life than being terminally angry online?

I can tell you, without fear of contradiction, that the answer is no.

He has nothing better to do and probably never will considering that every TV company has stopped taking his calls and his wife has both taken the kids and left him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

does he not have something better to be doing with his life than being terminally angry online?

Literally no, when hitherto the idle classes would be running over foxes or trying to kill each other with pistols or electrocuting large wildlife, they now spend all day on twitter.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Glinner; lost one ball, now lost it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sassassin posted:

its essentially officially over as of July 4th now

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1275352698930565122?s=20