Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

We just don't have enough data I mean just because everything points to cases increasing doesn't mean cases are going to increase for 2 months in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

"Proactive? What's that?"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

saintonan posted:

"Proactive? What's that?"

Abstinence only pandemic education

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Someone needs to tell Abbot that while he may be right that sticking your head in the sand is more effective than universal masking, everyone thought that part of the riddle was a just a metaphor and now we are all going to die.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Here I was just about ready to move on from the Riddle of the Governor, and then someone reminded me that AG Paxton was also in on it, in the form of that May 12 letter to several counties stating that they could not impose any requirement that "restricts essential or reopened services", such as (but definitely not limited to!) any requirement that businesses provide masks to anyone. Which means that the county judges and mayors did not merely have to decode the Texts of Abbott, they also had to recognize that the interpretation/threat from the top lawyer for the state of Texas was toothless horseshit. The balls on these loving people.

edit:

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1275143869156507654
Though the rest of his remarks were the expected usual chickenshit, I too am a bit surprised that he's not flatly ruling out another lockdown.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 22, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Only one room of my house is engulfed in flames. Let's not call the fire department until we see how many rooms it spreads to."

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So who has made a Hegar v Royce West decision?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I want to thank Abbott and generally all conservatives/idiots who embraced the state lifting shutdown restrictions, you're giving our hospital so much business right now, they were hoping to be in the black by the end of the year, and now it will definitely happen before that, so I'm gonna be getting some phat overtime out of this.

I know that seems terrible to say, but seeing Abbott say 'More data seems to say masks are good' now is just so....I don't know anymore. I mean, it sucks for anyone who wasn't a dumbass throughout all this, but at this point I've accepted that many, many more ignorant, loving stupid people live in this state than rational ones. Helps take the sting out of waking up everyday, I suppose.

Good luck to everyone out there that doesn't have their head up their own rear end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1262257093031202816

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Doing the mortality rate with the total population instead of the amount of reported cases seems wrong to me.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Spacebump posted:

Doing the mortality rate with the total population instead of the amount of reported cases seems wrong to me.

Excuse me that is the morality rate. Texas is the most immoral state 🤠

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1275175038245888002
Buddy, at the rate we're going, it ain't gonna take a month for those numbers to double.

Sab0921 posted:

I'll gladly vote for either of them in the general, but I would much rather get the opportunity to vote for West because I think the Dems can and should do better than constantly putting up Generic "Did You Know I Used To Be a TROOP" Candidate #474 in these kinds of long-shot red-state elections.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Abbott will reinstitute lockdown when someone tells him what walks on four legs in the morning...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1275144055610118144?s=19

oh my god gently caress off

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

George H.W. oval office posted:

Nevermind I did it

Gov. Abbot - "We will keep Texas wide open for business."

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/wRS257w.png

:hehe: delightfully devilish

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sab0921 posted:

I dont even know when the runoff date even is

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dont even know when the runoff date even is

July 14, early voting starts June 29.

I requested a mail ballot - lets see if I go to jail over it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

literally just the 'we all want to find the guy who did this' meme

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So he gave the virus a stern talking to?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/notdred/status/1275176683855847435

It's too late

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I learned today from some co-workers that live in Hays county that they’re apparently stricter on mask protocol than Travis county now? Something about it being a hotbed. I’m down in Luling where it’s 50/50 on any kind of precautions. I’m not sure on how many cases we’ve had at this time.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sab0921 posted:

Hagar is irredeemably cringe, like, her closing statement at the debate and her whole 'listen up buttercup' schtick. They're both neolibs though.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I learned today from some co-workers that live in Hays county that they’re apparently stricter on mask protocol than Travis county now? Something about it being a hotbed. I’m down in Luling where it’s 50/50 on any kind of precautions. I’m not sure on how many cases we’ve had at this time.

It's really, really bad here. As of today, you must wear a mask if you go out in public but the reality is that this is too late. Half the county will have been infected by this time next month.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

It's really, really bad here. As of today, you must wear a mask if you go out in public but the reality is that this is too late. Half the county will have been infected by this time next month.

I’m ignorant to what goes on in the counties outside of Caldwell, even though I work in Austin. Did y’all reopen the rivers for floating and swimming or something?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I’m ignorant to what goes on in the counties outside of Caldwell, even though I work in Austin. Did y’all reopen the rivers for floating and swimming or something?

yes :)

and the bars and restaurants and literally everything else and nobody was wearing masks for over a month

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hays' mask order went in today, Travis' tonight at midnight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What goddamm grains of rice on the chessboard kinda poo poo is this

if austin increases by 20% a day for 30 days I'm pretty sure all our cells will be covid

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Abbott has made me actually miss my benighted island kingdom.

It's only the chili that's keeping me from fleeing now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FoolyCharged posted:

Have I mentioned it's truly great how no matter the conversation, or how deep our arguments get, all that unimportant stuff gets dropped when beans in chili gets brought up?
Wait until the day when some innocent Rust Belt tryhard transplant wanders in tying to project anger about beans in chili and, completely lacking any mal intent, refers to the pro-beans-in-chili crew as "beaners."

This will, eventually, happen, and drive the thread into a four figure daily spike that destroys the curve forever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sab0921 posted:

I think we agree on the other stuff so don't care to discuss - but like, what is uniquely bad about this one random neighborhood in a Houston suburb, such that you called it out for being filled with assholes?
The easiest way to explain the coastal-facing Southeast Houston suburbs is when you get a job at the plant, you move to Pasadena. After a few years you move to Deer Park. Then, a few years later, you move to League City or Dickinson. If you make management, you move to somewhere in the Clear Lake area, or possibly Kemah / Seabrook.

On the other hand, if you got a degree in engineering from the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas or what have you, started at the plant in management and got promoted higher still, you move to a place like Bay Oaks, pretend you're in the equivalent of River Oaks and say things like, as was said at a wedding I was privy to, about a young man with an impeccable education who had just finished medical school and who was marrying the daughter of a Bay Oaks family who was a nurse at the hospital the groom trained at, "When [MALE] first came around, of course we just didn't know what to think. After all, he wasn't from the community (i.e. Bay Oaks). Over time, though, he has proven himself to be worthy and we are proud to welcome him into the family." It's been a while, but that's pretty close to what was said. Side note - they divorced a few years later when he came home and found her banging the contractor who was upgrading the kitchen or something like that. You can take the person out of Clear Lake, but you can't take the Clear Lake out of the person.

As I have stated to people who know the area and always get a laugh out of the accuracy, the difference between Deer Park and Clear Lake is the size of the lawn crew you can afford and your title at the plant. Obviously a total exaggeration, but kernels of truth in there. So, you get Bay Oaks as my favorite example, but there are many.

EDIT: Once your kids are at SMU or TCU or whatever, you move to Bayou Vista and drive around in golf carts sundowning while acting like you've bought into Marco Island or Coronado Island or suchlike.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 23, 2020

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I was told by a coworker today that he sent his kids to Schlitterbaun in New Braunfels. This guy has an infant in their home. My grandson is less than a year old, there is no way I'd allow anyone in this house to go to the freaking river and tourist traps. We're all masked at work, but it was a stark reminder that I'm unable to control what my coworkers do. I'm surrounded by psuedo-libertarians - they are really alt-right and just too cowardly to admit it. But the jargon is the same and its easy to figure out once they get started on a topic. If I could quit today, I would. I keep praying for a stimulus check that won't come.

I'm really worried about my parents. I'm really worried about my husband, too, as he has some comorbidities. All I can do right now is start building up the food and necessities to cut down our need to hit the stores. Its infuriating watching the lack of leadership across the board.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

i say swears online posted:

What goddamm grains of rice on the chessboard kinda poo poo is this

if austin increases by 20% a day for 30 days I'm pretty sure all our cells will be covid
Did a quick check with a compound interest calculator. 1 increases to 237.88 over 30 time intervals if it is constantly growing at 20% a day. What are the specific numbers for Austin?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

~500, so about 5% of the whole metro area will have it by then. that's not so bad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
went to buy groceries yesterday and mask usage seemed back up. funny how that works.

ReindeerF posted:

That video must be from the mid-90s, because it features every landmark except the Selena statue and the Whataburger by the Bay. You couldn't put together a more accurate video tribute to Corpus if you paid GSD&M a bajillion dollars.

Also, my favorite low key thing about Corpus is that, when you fly in or out, you have to travel down Corn Products Road to get to the airport from 37 - and the airport does not have lights outside in the evening. Even in the rental car lot.
that song is pretty tight though thanks to the juggalo energy. "i'm from corrrrrpuuuuuuuuuuuus"

(i'm not actually from corpus)

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

As a Texan born in Texas living in Texas Beans Belong In Chili.
mom always cooked beans in chili growing up. not sure what this texan = no beans business came from. i blame the media.

Sab0921 posted:

i've barely thought about this at all, but i'd say west. hegar is annoying to me.

bonus post content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0l0y10KnFM

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

i say swears online posted:

~500, so about 5% of the whole metro area will have it by then. that's not so bad

I think you're underselling what 118,940‬ cases in the Austin metro area would mean.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's fiiiine, the governor says we actually have too many hospital beds and we should burn them for fuel

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HEB continues to own:

https://twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/1275417069991989250

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShubhadaH/status/1275272221234212864

A Spongebob bandaid for my owie stat.

Oh and that's real bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow, from $9.15/hour to $11.15/hour. Gonna buy me a Lexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how is it that low?? taco bell and dairy queen start at $12. i make $12.50/hr in a job that is only medium-hell