Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I asked something similar to that last question on the interview for my current job and my bosses seemed to take it well. I dunno, as an interviewer it seems like a fine question to me as well. I wouldn't consider it some kind of manipulation of trick though.

I don't know if the rest of all that stuff in the post is great advice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Asking questions as you go is a good tip. People like to talk, and will like you if you give them chances to talk.

I get asked that "What hesitations do you have about hiring me" all the time and I have an automatic go-to to deflect. It's not a bad question I guess, but also it won't work.

For the negotiation part, are you saying when you get an offer to stall and wait and not respond? That is not good advice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've asked if I can cover anything further or revisit something before closing. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that as inappropriate.

I've been asked it as an interviewer and been fine asking about something or just waiving it off.

Similarly, having a pleasant conversational interview is good too. Especially early when you're building a bit of repore.

I think the problem is framing it as a hack and trying to get one over on people is the problem.

I have personally dropped people for trying to hack/smooze interviews. I have also been on hiring committees where we compared stories and saw their playbook.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Xguard86 posted:

I've asked if I can cover anything further or revisit something before closing.

This is how I phrase it instead of what OP said, as my usual closing interview question as a candidate. I don't think any interviewer would interpret this as negative in any way, can only help right? Just have to be able to actually answer if they do have a legitimate concern or question.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I have personally dropped people for trying to hack/smooze interviews. I have also been on hiring committees where we compared stories and saw their playbook.

Same. It's usually quite obvious what's going on. Our post-interview consensus is designed to catch red flags like this (not this one specifically, but in general). And if you stalled and wasted time to avoid any technical questioning that's going to come out, too, since that's literally the reason for half the interviews in the loop.

I've also been at companies in the past where smoozing the interview worked, and I watched my bosses get snowed by smooth talkers that didn't know poo poo. So yeah I suppose you can find somewhere that it works, but there's a lot of reasons I'm not at those companies anymore.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm sure it's actually a quite viable strategy but probably more stressful in the end since you're self-selecting for the snake pit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I usually close my interviews with "what questions do you have for us?" and "is there anything else you want to cover that we didn't?". We also can only ask the candidates the exact same questions and have to follow a whole slew of HR rules. So those are my catch all Q's at the end. Honestly by that part though I know if you are good or a dummy. I am not sure how anything from the OP would "work". Maybe I am to rigid as an engineer in interview processes...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Folks, you're in a dysfunctional jobs market that stopped hiring for productive work, and that was last year, before the deadly pandemic caused 40 million new unemployment applications. If you're not conning, you're getting conned, and the job you're interviewing for is likely to be gone in a matter of months anyway. Grab up what you can before it all closes up. The snake pit is all that's left. The economy is inescapable.

spwrozek posted:

Honestly by that part though I know if you are good or a dummy. I am not sure how anything from the OP would "work".

Oh yeah, trying that would never make up for being a dummy. You still have to check the basic boxes needed for "a job", just not necessarily "that job". Even a dummy will have to be smart enough to manage a conversation about the industry at all, and smart enough to follow those instructions in the first place without overplaying them, or else like others said you'll come off as a con.

Lockback posted:

For the negotiation part, are you saying when you get an offer to stall and wait and not respond? That is not good advice.

No no no--only to stall and deflect it when it comes to naming your number. Always stop short of saying one. There's plenty of other things to keep talking with them about, lol

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 24, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Some people really are just better at interviewing than they are at regularly doing what they are qualified to do, or even at working in general. I wouldn't fault someone for leaning on and optimizing for that. Every interviewer is going to, subconsciously or not, put some weight on how much they like the person they are interviewing. I don't think that's even wrong - it's generally better to work with people you like than ones you don't like. I also think I'm pretty good at spotting bullshitters when interviewing but, well, could just be I only spot the folks who are bad at it. It may well mean you end up at companies full of bullshitters but, well, I see jobs as a pretty short term thing anyway and I'm only looking ever for Mr. Right Now. I think it's a bigger concern if you want to find a job you'd like to stay at for a long time.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019
I really hope this place/people will continue on at some other forum (B&R?). First, I want to thank everyone in this thread for the advice and the resources when I started my first contract negotiation last September. I was able to get close to a 20k pay increase from the initial offer, 5k signing bonus, as well as an additional 0.2 in stock options (still worthless right now). There was a lot of concern from posters about the job being a start up job and that funding could dry up, but I figured there would need to be some sort of worldwide emergency for us to lose funding......

Fast forward to today. My company is still standing and doing well. We hit our corporate goals and received another $30 million from our investors, and will be in a good place to raise series B the next year. I love my company, they respect my time and keep me to 40 hours a week. During covid19, they allowed WFH, no questions asked. There's been great push for management to be as flexible as possible, especially as many employees have families and they said that personal goals/bonuses won't be penalized due to work slowing from covid19. During the protests, our CEO gave a speech that she stands in solidarity with the protesters and will encourages us to support them. She's rich a gently caress though, so I'm not sure how serious she is about it, but the thought counts. All my colleagues are fantastic and we all work closely together without any politics or personal issues. On the research side, it's been a blast. Got to submit 2 patents, 2 publications (1 in Nature, 1 accepted in Nature Genetics today), and 1 conference presentation (turned virtual due to covid19). Whenever someone has an interesting idea, even if there's no immediate payoff, we can go investigate it and perform basic research.

I don't think my stock options will ever turn into anything valuable, but this has been an amazing experience and a good stepping stone for whatever happens in my career. I originally had the option to train for management, but I think I'm going to stick on the scientist track as I really enjoy research, especially when I don't need to worry much about funding.

All in all, it's been amazing and hopefully will continue to be for the next few years. That said, I think my outlook might be different had I took the initial offer, because as amazing as this has been, I imagine resentment to feelings underpaid would kill this feeling. Thanks again for all the advice (including Not a Children, Motronic, KYOON GRIFFEY JR)!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Assuming this all works out positively, I would really like a post mortem on negotiating the purchase of this here internet forum by our own Jeffrey of YOSPOS after everything is finished.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Just wanted to stay thanks for this thread and for BFC! I have learned a great deal over the years with negotiation and investments! Having been through multiple career changes and having been on both sides of the interviewing table, the best advice I can give is to get people to talk about themselves and never name a number. Best of luck to those of you transitioning and searching for work in this strange times.

Also, thanks again, Jeffrey of YOSPOS, for helping save this place! :black101:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who works for a startup that was bought out several years ago by a much larger company. The larger company is outsourcing most of their teams to India. This dude is a manager-level (like, eleven reports before they started cutting people). They've more or less admitted that all the teams will be outsourced in the next year. He pulls in $80,000 a year; what's a good ask for a retention bonus? The best people to train are leaving like crazy right now, so I think he's probably got some leverage.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

I have a friend who works for a startup that was bought out several years ago by a much larger company. The larger company is outsourcing most of their teams to India. This dude is a manager-level (like, eleven reports before they started cutting people). They've more or less admitted that all the teams will be outsourced in the next year. He pulls in $80,000 a year; what's a good ask for a retention bonus? The best people to train are leaving like crazy right now, so I think he's probably got some leverage.
He should be leaving also. Director level (11 reports is effectively a director) of a successful start-up should be making more than $80k. Even in a low cost of living area he's underpaid to the tune of $50-100k

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
Are retention bonuses generally asked for? In my experience they are freely given by management desperate to retain talent while the organization is falling apart.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Agreed he is underpaid unless those 11 reports are minimum-wage-type jobs.

For retention Indeed says they can go up to 25% but I usually see them higher than that. It depends on the length of time, but usually 33%-50% for 6mon-1 year is pretty common in the software industry, but that was accounting for high demand.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

He should be leaving also. Director level (11 reports is effectively a director) of a successful start-up should be making more than $80k. Even in a low cost of living area he's underpaid to the tune of $50-100k
He's not a director, he's definitely middle-management; the reports are all low-level (but skilled) employees. He is absolutely very underpaid. He's a bit of a weird dude, and just wants to ride this out regardless of the retention bonus (he wants to spend some time funemployed, he can definitely afford it), so isn't looking for another job; I suggested he ask for a retention bonus.

Officer Koala Fart posted:

Are retention bonuses generally asked for? In my experience they are freely given by management desperate to retain talent while the organization is falling apart.
This is a good question; I mean, you can ask for anything. Is this a bad idea?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My dad went through that back in 2000 ish. He is saying it was anywhere from 3-9 months (depending on position/level) pay to stay until you lost your job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anecdotal reply, but my old boss got 6 months salary to stay on for 9 months post acquisition and help with the transition. He was our IT Manager, managed a team of 8-10 sys admins

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It came from reddit. Or why you should never take a counteroffer:

Some dude on r/pf posted:

I'm just at a loss for words..

Background - I have been with my current employer for 4 years, First promotion in year 2. I wasn't actively seeking a job, but was approached by a head hunter in April for a role in an established company of a similar niche. I got through the interview and they offered me twice my current salary after some negotiation. Had an official employment offer sent to me and everything. It was a huge bump and a good career move, even though it involved a relocation and considerable risk due to COVID.

I did like my current job and company, they have always been supportive of my risk taking and it paid off for them financially. We have great benefits and operate in the glove industry (yes the company is making record profits). I had a good relationship with my superiors and so I personally spoke with my superior about the offer so as to not surprise them with a sudden resignation tender. They immediately negotiated a counter offer (which is on par with my new employment offer), saying that our company is doing so great and I will be risking a lot of stability and they were planning on promoting me anyways.

After all that convincing I decided to stay and rejected the other offer, I was due to be promoted and my raise was scheduled according to our corporate timeline (July is when all promotions /salary adjustments take place). And now, a day before July 1st, I was told that my promotion has been suspended until further notice due to "difficult market conditions". Its a bit complicated but my company (glove division) is owned by a mother company who also owns a chemicals division (they are doing badly). They could only offer me a special "allowance" which is about 16% of my current salary until my promotion is confirmed. BTW, they offered it as an allowance instead of basic pay probably because they would have to pay an additional 16% of my basic towards a retirement fund.

So now I'm stuck here seething with resentment because I gave up a great career move for an empty promise. I feel like such a fool for trusting what I once thought were great employers and a great company. At the same time I hate myself for complaining because I know a lot of ppl are struggling to make ends meet. Guess I'll end my rant here, thanks for reading. Have a good day everyone

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/hikvdg/i_accepted_a_counter_offer_from_my_employer_and/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush that may resent you for going somewhere else to hunt for birds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
he didnt even really get a counteroffer he got a counter wellmaybe

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Right, a counteroffer is literally as of right now, signed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The fatal flaw in his plan, rookie mistake. You hate to see it, Bob.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Guinness posted:

The fatal flaw in his plan, rookie mistake. You hate to see it, Bob.

Right you are, Ken.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Glad I made that mistake two years into my first real job out of school. Now I have the burn scar for the rest of my career to remind me. Way better to make that mistake early when the hop would have ultimately meant about ten grand, a different faceless corporate overlord, and single than well into your career when way much is at stake.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's no great shame in having been played like a piano by a company in this way; it happened to me, too, in my twenties; it happens to most young people, because most people are innately afraid of change and because all young people aren't yet willing to believe that their bosses' platitudes about Loyalty and Dedication are as empty as outer space, and whatever anyone may say, your relationship with your employer is always, ever, only business.

It happens to most of us once, usually early in our careers. That's normal and expected. When it happens to a person a second and a third time, well, then that person will probably forever go through life unable to identify the sucker in all his dealings, and unaware that he is the sucker.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm a Software Engineering Manager in a smaller city in the midwest. I'm fortunate that I work for a company that recognizes my value and pays me accordingly. Being involved in hiring at my company, and talking to colleagues at other companies involved in hiring in our area, I know the market pretty well. This puts me in an interesting position in that I know I make 50k above average for my position in my area.

I enjoy my job and know how lucky I am, so I'm never actively looking. But if an interesting opportunity crosses my path, I'll take a look at it and see what happens. Since I'm not actively job hunting, I usually don't make it past the 2nd round since I'm not one to prepare for technical challenges, and there are so many BS 2nd round technical challenges in software nowadays. I chalk it up to interview practice.

All that being said, I've made it to the offer stage of an interesting opportunity that would be for the same position I have today. I've stalled long enough that they're really trying to force my hand on naming a number. The benefits comparison to my current job puts me at needing at least 15k to "break even" (no 401k match, no bonus potential, and worse insurance at the new place). If not for the genuine interest I have in the opportunity, I'd probably refuse outright at the benefits package alone.

Knowing the market, I'm guessing if I get them to make the first move, they'll come with a competitive offer for our area, but it will still be significantly lower than what I'd want to see, so negotiating up will be challenging. Do I name a ridiculous number and see how bad they want me? Do I hold out for them to make the first move and see if I'm mistaken in what is competitive for our market? If they did meet an extravagant number, would that put me in a bad position that I'm immediately on the chopping block while they find a cheaper replacement with me as their stop-gap?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm a Software Engineering Manager in a smaller city in the midwest. I'm fortunate that I work for a company that recognizes my value and pays me accordingly. Being involved in hiring at my company, and talking to colleagues at other companies involved in hiring in our area, I know the market pretty well. This puts me in an interesting position in that I know I make 50k above average for my position in my area.

I enjoy my job and know how lucky I am, so I'm never actively looking. But if an interesting opportunity crosses my path, I'll take a look at it and see what happens. Since I'm not actively job hunting, I usually don't make it past the 2nd round since I'm not one to prepare for technical challenges, and there are so many BS 2nd round technical challenges in software nowadays. I chalk it up to interview practice.

All that being said, I've made it to the offer stage of an interesting opportunity that would be for the same position I have today. I've stalled long enough that they're really trying to force my hand on naming a number. The benefits comparison to my current job puts me at needing at least 15k to "break even" (no 401k match, no bonus potential, and worse insurance at the new place). If not for the genuine interest I have in the opportunity, I'd probably refuse outright at the benefits package alone.

Knowing the market, I'm guessing if I get them to make the first move, they'll come with a competitive offer for our area, but it will still be significantly lower than what I'd want to see, so negotiating up will be challenging. Do I name a ridiculous number and see how bad they want me? Do I hold out for them to make the first move and see if I'm mistaken in what is competitive for our market? If they did meet an extravagant number, would that put me in a bad position that I'm immediately on the chopping block while they find a cheaper replacement with me as their stop-gap?

What is their BATNA? Yours is to stay where you are.

Are you so good that you are worth 200% of the local average instead of 150%?

If you are that good, why would they hire you only to look to replace you immediately? If I were them and I hired you I would ride you hard, put you away wet, and fast track you for promotion, and give you less for higher level positions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

If they did meet an extravagant number, would that put me in a bad position that I'm immediately on the chopping block while they find a cheaper replacement with me as their stop-gap?

This is what companies do to keep a current employee around to buy time to prepare for his departure, because that's the easiest thing for the company. It's very different to agree to hire someone at a sky high number--the easiest thing for the company in that case is simply to not hire you and hire someone cheaper instead, in the first place.

You're in the greatest position, man. You should be in no hurry to depart your current role. You're in the enviable position of being able to tell the prospective employer the complete truth--"I love my current job and don't really want to leave, your offer is intriguing but it would take $RIDICULOUS_BUCKS to persuade me to come over right now."

Personally I think you're out of your mind to even consider leaving a company where you're highly valued for a worse benefits package (especially in 2020!) unless you've somehow been offered a staggeringly ludicrously high salary.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I know this thread strongly mashes the "Get them to give a number first" button, but there is a lot of research into anchoring high too, and in your case that is what you'd want to do, I feel.

Figure out what your number is to move, and give them a number 25% or so above it. I think it'd be wise of you to figure out what that number is now so you don't get caught up in the negotiation and end up taking a job under what you really want, if you're not used to negotiating you can end up playing yourself pretty easily.

Like Eric the Mauve said, you are in a great place and personally I'd need a pretty big reason to leave a position you are in. I don't think coming in high is a big risk either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Right, if they say no that's too much money, tell them good luck with their search and if they change their mind, they should get in touch with you. You've got all the power.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Lockback posted:

I know this thread strongly mashes the "Get them to give a number first" button, but there is a lot of research into anchoring high too, and in your case that is what you'd want to do, I feel.
Bravo! I've sometimes done this and it seems to work when you're in demand and confident in your value. More often I regret not doing this. Also agreed that being first on the chopping block because you're expensive is not a thing

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Thanks all for helping direct me towards a solid approach. I just got more info from them that they don't offer a bonus potential (I'm at 7.5% right now, and while I've only been here 3 years, I've gotten the full amount every year). If I include the lack of bonus potential, my break even is even larger, but I don't normally include bonus in any calculations since it's never guaranteed.

They do offer equity (unsure on the details of that yet), which is something I don't have today, but it's a privately held company that I doubt would ever be bought out or go public anytime soon, so that benefit is counted as a big $0 on my calculations sheet.

I'm going to tell them essentially what you all said, ask for a large increase well above what I'd be willing to accept, and be gobsmacked if they accept (or even get close to what my true minimum is).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 30, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just got more info from them that they don't offer a bonus potential (I'm at 7.5% right now, and while I've only been here 3 years, I've gotten the full amount every year). If I include the lack of bonus potential, my break even is even larger, but I don't normally include bonus in any calculations since it's never guaranteed.

In your situation, where you already have a good job that you like and a decent history of paying out, I would absolutely count that bonus toward your current compensation when doing the comparison.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Guinness posted:

In your situation, where you already have a good job that you like and a decent history of paying out, I would absolutely count that bonus toward your current compensation when doing the comparison.

ehhhhhhh

There are absolutely companies that have a track record of bonuses and then pull the rug. Comparing companies that give bonuses to those that don't is tough, but I'd still value the money in compensation over the money in bonus.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My company proudly proclaims they have exceeded the target bonus payout for the last 15 years. However, we're expecting little to no bonus next year due to the covid related market conditions.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yes, I know that. Bonuses are obviously not guaranteed. Normally I would agree to heavily discount it.

But in this situation where you're already in a very good spot and trying to throw out a highball number, don't discount that bonus when comparing comp packages, especially when the new one is a step down in several ways.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 30, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

ehhhhhhh

There are absolutely companies that have a track record of bonuses and then pull the rug. Comparing companies that give bonuses to those that don't is tough, but I'd still value the money in compensation over the money in bonus.

Right but for negotiation away from a company that hasn't pulled the bonus and has paid it's full value each year, they should count it, especially since they like their job and are basically in the best negotiating position they could be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

If there's a knowledge or power disparity, having to name a number first is bad. But if you know the market rates and you don't particularly care if you get the job or not, anchoring high is a winning strategy.

Also, decent managers know their own budgets and also know making the candidate name a number first is an aggressive rear end in a top hat move.