Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

therattle posted:

1) What can I do to minimise discard? (Alternatively, how much discard do the sourdough crackers posted here use up?)

2) What can I do to make it not sour (while satisfying 1 above)?

3) What methodology is best for a bread that is better than my regular no-knead (with which I am pretty happy) but which is not incredibly labour- and time-intensive? I may be after something impossible with this one - you can't hurry love - but I hope.

1. I have an established starter and feed it 50 grams each of flour and water once a week. Typically I bulk it up on, say, Saturday night with 150-200 grams each of flour and water and leave it out overnight. Then Sunday morning I use 90% of the bulked up starter in the loaves of bread I bake that day. Add 50 grams each of flour and water and back in the fridge for a week until I repeat the process the next week. I only discard when I've accidentally prepared too much starter for a batch of baking, or if my schedule gets hosed up and I have to push baking off for a day or whatever

2. Cold fermenting either the dough or the starter increases sourness. Discarding lots of starter and rapid feeding cycles favors the evolution of non-sour microorganisms. So, you're kind of in a bind here given #1, but, if you're storing your starter in the fridge, discard 90% of it, feed it, discard 90% of it, feed it, and bake with it. That should get you minimal sourness

3. By what metric are you judging better? No-knead is pretty minimally labor intensive, but you make up for it in inactive time. Do you want something with more active time? Alternatively, just let it autolyse for less time and see how it matches your desired taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

1. I have an established starter and feed it 50 grams each of flour and water once a week. Typically I bulk it up on, say, Saturday night with 150-200 grams each of flour and water and leave it out overnight. Then Sunday morning I use 90% of the bulked up starter in the loaves of bread I bake that day. Add 50 grams each of flour and water and back in the fridge for a week until I repeat the process the next week. I only discard when I've accidentally prepared too much starter for a batch of baking, or if my schedule gets hosed up and I have to push baking off for a day or whatever

2. Cold fermenting either the dough or the starter increases sourness. Discarding lots of starter and rapid feeding cycles favors the evolution of non-sour microorganisms. So, you're kind of in a bind here given #1, but, if you're storing your starter in the fridge, discard 90% of it, feed it, discard 90% of it, feed it, and bake with it. That should get you minimal sourness

3. By what metric are you judging better? No-knead is pretty minimally labor intensive, but you make up for it in inactive time. Do you want something with more active time? Alternatively, just let it autolyse for less time and see how it matches your desired taste?

Thanks, very helpful. By better, I mean better flavour and texture, closer to really good shop-bought sourdough. I appreciate that this may be impossible given that i don't want to put TOO much time and effort into it, but I am prepared to take a step up (but not two steps!) from no-knead if it delivers demonstrably better bread.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

therattle posted:

1) What can I do to minimise discard? (Alternatively, how much discard do the sourdough crackers posted here use up?)

Sourdough crackers use like a cup of discard. I've also used my discard to make pancakes, non-sour loaf and sandwich bread.

Most important thing though is to not feed it overly much on maintenance feedings until a couple days before your sourdough bake.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you're going to do sourdough you kind of just have to accept that you're going to have discard unless you're making a loaf of bread literally every day.

Even then I think I would have discard.

edit: if you know you're not going to be baking for a while toss it in the fridge and feed it weekly or so, and wake it up maybe a day before you want to use it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It is possible to get a good loaf out of starter from the fridge and theoretically have no waste. When I get lucky it's usually in the fridge after like four hours on the counter or after work and pulled less then a week later. Lots of poor loaves on that journey though.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I’ve been able to get my starter routine down so that I have zero discard, but I also bake a loaf every 2-3 days which likely doesn’t work for most people, but you could probably put your starter in the fridge between uses to further increase the time it takes to ripen (if you only bake on the weekend, for instance). So for me, I do 10g flour and water with a tiny amount of starter (like a tiny dab on the end of a chopstick) and it takes 3 days to get ripe. I then use the entire amount to make a levain and start the process over again. If I want to make a recipe that needs more starter I just scale it up when I do a feed. Is my starter strong? Maybe not in comparison to people who do multiple feeds a day, but it works for me and I haven’t noticed any difference in the things I make.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My starter did not like being fridged, and it took almost a month of daily feedings at room temp before it started behaving and rising properly again. Now I keep it in a fermentation chamber at 82 and feed it 10g of flour once a day in a little jar, unless I'm baking that day. The starter kicks rear end now, rises like mad and is yeasty and delicious, really at a high point of its 6 year existence, and 10g a day of discard isn't a big thing. When I make bread I just don't discard at all and feed it up from there; off days I just eyeball 2/3 of it into the compost and add 10g of water and flour.

e: The fermentation chamber is just one of these powering an aquarium heating mat in a foam cooler with a wire rack. Gonna do some lactofermentation this summer as well~

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 20, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Did someone say carrot bread?

Edit

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 20, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Figured all this out and my SO found wheat flour finally!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

cheese eats mouse posted:

Sourdough babka recipe from the perfect loaf. Partner has asked for a chocolate one next time.

This is my second enriched dough and first time rolling dough. Next time I'll be less fiddly with the dough so I can roll tighter. I was taking too long and it got too warm so I rushed the roll up. Did an 18hr ferment and I think I can taste the difference. It's like I put sour cream in the mix. Very good with my coffee this AM. :)

Also finally got some yeast so can finally play with yeasted mixes, but I feel like I'll be more bored. Fermenting is so much more interesting.

I'm doing the overnight proof on this right now.

UK goons- do you use US recipes and find following US recipes seems to result in over hydrated dough? The sourdough loaf comes out fine but seems very sticky going in, and the Babka isn't as solid as I would imaging given I'll be rolling it out tomorrow. Do UK flours maybe want less water? I found I had to hydrate my starter less to get it going, it's maybe 2:1-ish flour and water.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody here use sprouted whole wheat flour? It's one of those things I only discovered recently, but now I see it everywhere. I'm just curious what people like to do with it in general.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

UK goons- do you use US recipes and find following US recipes seems to result in over hydrated dough? The sourdough loaf comes out fine but seems very sticky going in, and the Babka isn't as solid as I would imaging given I'll be rolling it out tomorrow. Do UK flours maybe want less water? I found I had to hydrate my starter less to get it going, it's maybe 2:1-ish flour and water.

US flour tends to be made from wheat with higher protein content (with a few notable exceptions) and protein is thirsty.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

BizarroAzrael posted:

The cold dough should make rolling out easy. Mine was very hydrate. I think his recipes use more water cause of his location in the upper regions of southwest US. Ive learned to cut back since I’m almost at sea level with high humidity.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Per suggestions in the thread, this week I tried:
* Doubling my knead time
* Letting my dough slow rise in the fridge overnight to help better develop flavor
* Using baked baking soda in the water I boiled the bagels with instead of normal baking soda
* No egg wash

One bagel missing from the above photo because I unceremoniously devoured it the moment it came out of the oven. My kitchen smelled like fresh baked pretzels baking these and I couldn't stop myself. The end result is definitely a sort of like a pretzel bagel. The crust is nice and chewy, and the insides are still pillowy soft, and the taste definitely reminds me of a soft pretzel you'd get at a pub.

I'll give the rope method a shot next week to try and get them shaped better, but I'll be honest: it's still not quite what I was looking for, but these taste really good so I might not adjust a whole lot else besides getting some proper pretzel salt for the salt bagels.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 21, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you're trying to do some braiding with your dough, do you need to flour the poo poo out of it or something? I managed to get some "fair" braiding for my kaiser rolls, but I wound up with almost-normal-looking hamburger buns without the definition of the knot in it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

King Arthur Flour's minimal starter. Instead of keeping enough starter to bake bread immediately, you keep a smaller starter (two ounces), then build it up with multiple feedings whenever you want to bake. You trade off time for flour, basically.

However, KA's sourdough crackers are the bomb and dead easy, especially if you own a pasta machine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

King Arthur Flour's minimal starter. Instead of keeping enough starter to bake bread immediately, you keep a smaller starter (two ounces), then build it up with multiple feedings whenever you want to bake. You trade off time for flour, basically.

However, KA's sourdough crackers are the bomb and dead easy, especially if you own a pasta machine.

Thanks. I am going for a very small starter.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Sacrificed my final tablespoon of yeast for my first attempt at a non-bread-machine sandwich loaf:

It's still cooling so I haven't been able to taste it, but the shape alone is a lot more usable than the freakishly tall and square loaves the machine spits out. Plus you don't have the giant hole left by the kneading paddle.

Should have a pound of yeast arriving on Wednesday; it took me exactly a month to go through a 4 oz jar.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just pulled these out of my USA pullman pans. Not quite as risen as I might have liked but the crust, ear, and smell are on point.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CrazyLittle posted:

Just pulled these out of my USA pullman pans. Not quite as risen as I might have liked but the crust, ear, and smell are on point.

These look perfect!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

LifeSunDeath posted:

These look perfect!

the camera always lies

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone got a link to one of those pans? I need something like that but fuuuuuuuck amazon is so full of cheap/countetfit/etx crap that I’d prefer a goon approved link.

I bought mine direct from usapan.com but for some reason they're not listed on the sight any more. I can go into my order history and start a reorder, where the cart says it's in stock still, but can't click through to the item description. Here's the same thing on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware-Nonstick-Aluminized/dp/B001TO3CN8?th=1

original direct link https://www.usapan.com/9-x-4-x-4-pullman-loaf-pan-cover1170pm maybe try giving them a call or email directly?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are people doing the dutch oven bake tending to use ~5 qt dutch ovens? I see that a lot and I figured it was just kind of small for that kind of thing. Most formal dutch ovens don't really get as tall as I would expect people would want for an artisan loaf.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are people doing the dutch oven bake tending to use ~5 qt dutch ovens? I see that a lot and I figured it was just kind of small for that kind of thing. Most formal dutch ovens don't really get as tall as I would expect people would want for an artisan loaf.

This is the one I’m using. Can’t read the volume on the bottom and can’t remember what it was. Coffee for scale

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the one I’m using. Can’t read the volume on the bottom and can’t remember what it was. Coffee for scale

Used to have that coffee maker...it was a huge pain in the rear end that broke constantly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Over ten years of daily use with zero problems over here.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I've jumped on the quarantine baking bandwagon with sourdough, here are two of my latest.

These two are mostly King Arthur white bread flour with 20/30% Wheat, and then like 10% of some gucci seven billion grain blend I found. This is the first time I actually put the starter in the fridge to slow it down and both these loaves came out with a bit more of the sour taste. Not sure if that's due to the starter in the fridge or just maturation of the starter.

I took next week off and plan on baking everyday, so I ordered a poo poo load of flour from Anson mills to experiment more with different ratios of flour.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a 5 qt lodge cast iron that I use for standard (0.8 - 0.9 kg) boules, it was cheap enough that I didn't mind buying it just for that. I think around $20?

I've also done a large (1.6 - 1.8 kg) loaf in an 8 qt Le Crueset that came out really nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Super 3 posted:

I've jumped on the quarantine baking bandwagon with sourdough, here are two of my latest.

These two are mostly King Arthur white bread flour with 20/30% Wheat, and then like 10% of some gucci seven billion grain blend I found. This is the first time I actually put the starter in the fridge to slow it down and both these loaves came out with a bit more of the sour taste. Not sure if that's due to the starter in the fridge or just maturation of the starter.

I took next week off and plan on baking everyday, so I ordered a poo poo load of flour from Anson mills to experiment more with different ratios of flour.

I found a HUGE difference in taste when I started putting my dough in the fridge over night.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I found a HUGE difference in taste when I started putting my dough in the fridge over night.

Once I have it in the proofing basked I've been putting it in the fridge overnight. Following a bastardized process partially based on "It's Alive! Sourdough recipe".

Even then previous fridge'd loaves weren't as sour as this batch. I also fed the starter more wheat prior to usage, might attribute. Science continues.

Edit:

I also made crackers out of the discard this time - highly recommend. Basically flour, starter, olive oil. Then roll out thin and bake with herbs and stuff.

Super 3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 23, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I keep my starter in the fridge during the week, get it out and feed it Thursday night and start dough for overnight proof on Friday. Are you using starter straight from the fridge? When do you feed it prior?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I keep my starter in the fridge during the week, get it out and feed it Thursday night and start dough for overnight proof on Friday. Are you using starter straight from the fridge? When do you feed it prior?

Doing what you are, from the fridge I pull it out and feed it maybe a day or two prior. Then I'll use it 4 to 6 hours after feeding in dough.

Edit.

I proof the dough for about 4 hours in my garage, then form loaves and stick in proofing baskets in the fridge overnight then bake in the am.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Exact same. I remove from fridge Friday morning and feed, then do my levain Friday night, and start making the bread in earnest Saturday morning for Saturday night.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Once I have it in the proofing basked I've been putting it in the fridge overnight. Following a bastardized process partially based on "It's Alive! Sourdough recipe".

Even then previous fridge'd loaves weren't as sour as this batch. I also fed the starter more wheat prior to usage, might attribute. Science continues.

Edit:

I also made crackers out of the discard this time - highly recommend. Basically flour, starter, olive oil. Then roll out thin and bake with herbs and stuff.

I leave mine in the fridge a full 24h.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I leave mine in the fridge a full 24h.

Giving this a try for next batch.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Tried the King Arthur sandwich loaf. I love how... buttery it feels and how much it rose. My husband actually said he wished it were smaller, and asked if I could split it into 2 loaf pans next time.

OK, weirdo.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to get on the breadwagon but my starter just will not rise no matter what. It blooms on the second and third day, but after that it's just :geno: no matter how I feed it.

I started the present batch more than a week ago. The flour is Gold Medal All-Purpose. (King Arthur was out of stock.) At present I'm feeding it daily using 1 part (about 2 Tbsp) existing starter, 1 part flour, a bit less than 1 part water by volume. The consistency is smooth and plastic, not liquid. The container is a tall drinking glass covered with a paper towel and an inverted measuring cup. I leave it on the counter.

Since I started covering it this way I've noticed a stronger alcohol odor, but if I don't cover it securely fruit flies will get in.

I've tried feeding it twice a day, setting it in the sun, adding a bit of sugar. All I get are some bubbles on the surface. I feel cursed.

e: I tried a float test. It doesn't float.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It looks about like my ~5qt Le Creuset. Volume can be deceiving. Either way, it's not particularly taller, which is what I have been fretting over.

So, side note here, have you ever considered hitting the inside of that dutch oven with a bleach water solution?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks about like my ~5qt Le Creuset. Volume can be deceiving. Either way, it's not particularly taller, which is what I have been fretting over.

So, side note here, have you ever considered hitting the inside of that dutch oven with a bleach water solution?

Meh, it's for cooking not staring at. It doesn't affect how it cooks, nothing sticks etc, so I really dgaf.

Also that top ring is the proper volume for my bomb as gently caress beef stew and the one below it is about where I need the liquid to be when I'm making my really tasty pork butt so if anything they're functional stains.

Plus I'm lazy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Gazpacho posted:

I'm trying to get on the breadwagon but my starter just will not rise no matter what. It blooms on the second and third day, but after that it's just :geno: no matter how I feed it.

I started the present batch more than a week ago. The flour is Gold Medal All-Purpose. (King Arthur was out of stock.) At present I'm feeding it daily using 1 part (about 2 Tbsp) existing starter, 1 part flour, a bit less than 1 part water by volume. The consistency is smooth and plastic, not liquid. The container is a tall drinking glass covered with a paper towel and an inverted measuring cup. I leave it on the counter.

Since I started covering it this way I've noticed a stronger alcohol odor, but if I don't cover it securely fruit flies will get in.

I've tried feeding it twice a day, setting it in the sun, adding a bit of sugar. All I get are some bubbles on the surface. I feel cursed.

Just be patient with it. My first homemade starter took like 10 days before it got proper rise (and it also gave me false hope around day 2-3). I was similarly impatient and wound up buying a bakery starter, but my OG one actually turned into the more consistent, funky product.

Sounds like you may also be using a bit too much water (if you continue on this journey you will need a scale for proper measurement). Two feedings a day wouldn't hurt necessarily either, though I might wait until there's more activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

How cold is your house, is an ac vent blowing on it maybe? I usually leave mine in the oven with the light on. Are you putting cold water in? I'll warm mine up in the microwave as well when adding. Does it ever develop the hooch on top to tell you it's hungry?

edit: echoing the above use a kitchen scale.