Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh definitely. My old viewing distance was that and at times you question if the 77” was affordable.

morestuff posted:

I'm at around the same distance and got used to a 75" very, very quickly

bull3964 posted:

My viewing distance is about 10ft and I'm 100% going with a 77" next time. Though, I'm going to be sure to wall mount it so it will be slightly further away than it is on my stand.

That's going to be awhile though. C6 is still going strong at about 9000 hours and I really don't want to give up 3d yet. I keep hoping that LG adds it back as a "why the gently caress not" feature on future models.

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't go smaller than 65"

Message received loud and clear.
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
My 80 year old dad needs a new tv. It just needs to be fairly cheap, big, have some built in apps, and a decent enough picture.

Toms Guide had this Westinghouse on their list, it’s 55” and only $279.

Considering he’s cheap and doesn’t have overly high expectations should he just go for this one or is he likely to be able to get a better deal with a July 4th sale? A little more expensive would be ok.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The New York Times posted:

My 80 year old dad needs a new tv. It just needs to be fairly cheap, big, have some built in apps, and a decent enough picture.

Toms Guide had this Westinghouse on their list, it’s 55” and only $279.

Considering he’s cheap and doesn’t have overly high expectations should he just go for this one or is he likely to be able to get a better deal with a July 4th sale? A little more expensive would be ok.

You might want to try the TCL 5 series. Just a little pricier but it has built-in Roku and better picture.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

You might want to try the TCL 5 series. Just a little pricier but it has built-in Roku and better picture.

I don't see a link on his post but I second this.

More specifically I bought a cheap Westinghouse on black Friday-ish and I cannot express how bad the picture is. Even for a bargain tv. I returned it for the 5 series. Would do again.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Something happened and my delivery is rescheduled to tomorrow and I'm fine. It's fine. Everything is fine.

I have a few friends who have the TCL series and they all recommend it so I would def spend a bit more to get it!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Some C9 things after 2 days with it

I decided to attach some LED lights to the rear of the TV when I noticed the back of it had a plastic wrapper on it that I 100% did not notice at all when unboxing. It was CRAZY hard to see and I definitely would have never noticed it if not for wanting to decorate it. If you got an OLED C9 and might be a stupid dumbass like me go look at the back of it and look REALY CLOSELY see if you forgot to take the rear plastic off.

I know this is probably the most common thing ever on planet earth but I LOVE that I can program any app and any input to a long-press of the 1-8 keys. Holy poo poo.

Third, I always wondered if I would "get" HDR after years of reading what it does and never seeing it, but my girlfriend wanted to watch Ghost in the Shell (2017) and I got the HDR working and holy poo poo what a remarkable piece of technology. Emboldened by the fact that that is one dark as poo poo movie.

My biggest problem with my TV now is I'm super old fashioned and have a basic stereo connected through the headphone jack on the back and had problems with the lineout. I can get sound through the stereo speakers but can't make it so the remote controls my stereo (which is also LG, funnily enough). Worst comes to worst I could just pair it with bluetooth but I find that can have a delay to it. We'll see, but I do feel like the solution is in there somewhere.

Holy gently caress this is a big tv. And beautiful. Unfortunately the biggest issue I have to solve now is I have the tv on a glass stand and the tv stand is low, so the glass distractingly reflects the picture back so I'll have to lay a cloth down over that. And also the tv is so big that the mirror I have across the room is reflecting the light from it back causing more distractions so I'll have to move or cover that too lol.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
People are going to think you're a vampire

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

beep by grandpa posted:

I know this is probably the most common thing ever on planet earth but I LOVE that I can program any app and any input to a long-press of the 1-8 keys. Holy poo poo.
Holy gently caress I didn't know this!

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call

morestuff posted:

Cool I’ll check it out, thank you!

EDIT- should he wait for July 4 sales or is it not going to get much better than 399?

BonoMan posted:

I don't see a link on his post but I second this.

More specifically I bought a cheap Westinghouse on black Friday-ish and I cannot express how bad the picture is. Even for a bargain tv. I returned it for the 5 series. Would do again.

Well gently caress I’m a dumbass, forgot to paste I guess. Thanks for the input too.

It was this one

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-55-class-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr-roku-tv/6405294.p?skuId=6405294

Double edit- oh poo poo I see this one now

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319333.p?skuId=6319333

The New York Times fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 23, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

My biggest problem with my TV now is I'm super old fashioned and have a basic stereo connected through the headphone jack on the back and had problems with the lineout. I can get sound through the stereo speakers but can't make it so the remote controls my stereo (which is also LG, funnily enough). Worst comes to worst I could just pair it with bluetooth but I find that can have a delay to it. We'll see, but I do feel like the solution is in there somewhere.
When I was using analog out on my PQ65, there was a setting in the audio menu that set the output to "fixed" or "variable", and the latter allowed you to control the output levels. Naturally, your receiver will probably need to be set to 50% volume or whatever you want for your max loudness.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
lmao UPS just dropped off the SAME busted LG B9 at my house after I took it to the UPS Customer Center to be returned to Amazon yesterday evening.

just lmao

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call

UFOTacoMan posted:

lmao UPS just dropped off the SAME busted LG B9 at my house after I took it to the UPS Customer Center to be returned to Amazon yesterday evening.

just lmao

lame-o

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m going to guess you didn’t remove/cover up all the bar codes from the original delivery and they scanned one of those

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

qirex posted:

I’m going to guess you didn’t remove/cover up all the bar codes from the original delivery and they scanned one of those

I removed the original shipping label, I guess I need to black out any barcode visible on the thing

Edit: there were 3 other stickers that I guess is for their internal reference. One right not top so that’s what got scanned.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 23, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UFOTacoMan posted:

just lmao

oh jesus lmao dude lmao

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The New York Times posted:

Cool I’ll check it out, thank you!

EDIT- should he wait for July 4 sales or is it not going to get much better than 399?

Well gently caress I’m a dumbass, forgot to paste I guess. Thanks for the input too.

It was this one

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-55-class-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr-roku-tv/6405294.p?skuId=6405294

Double edit- oh poo poo I see this one now

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319333.p?skuId=6319333

Yeah that's the Westinghouse I had (50" variant). I got it for $180 and it was precisely overpriced by $179. Such garbage.

It's not just "not premium" picture quality. It's actively bad. The HDR made everything crazy dark because the TV can't do poo poo for brightness. Sports and cable looked like that smeary "every bright light leaves a trail like in a 70s music video shot on a soundstage" poo poo. It's bad. Avoid at all costs.

The TCL 4 series isn't great either. The 5 series or above is as low as I'd go. 6 series if you can help it. I have a 5 series in my bedroom (to replace the Westhinghouse) and 6 series in my living room. The 5 series is ok for a bedroom TV but is noticeably poorer quality than the 6 series.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call

BonoMan posted:

The TCL 4 series isn't great either. The 5 series or above is as low as I'd go. 6 series if you can help it. I have a 5 series in my bedroom (to replace the Westhinghouse) and 6 series in my living room. The 5 series is ok for a bedroom TV but is noticeably poorer quality than the 6 series.

Ok I passed that along and I think he’s going for it. Thanks for the help :respek:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know there happens to be much more important things today(if you can spare some extra $ please donate to some abuse charities/shelters) but my 4th tv came today and it's not broken/cracked in any way

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Finally some good news, congrats on the badass tv!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm legitimately happy for you. As fun as it was to watch from the sidelines I'm glad your long nightmare is finally over. If this is your first OLED you're in for quite a shock.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Asema posted:

I know there happens to be much more important things today(if you can spare some extra $ please donate to some abuse charities/shelters) but my 4th tv came today and it's not broken/cracked in any way

:toot:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks everyone! It is indeed my very first OLED!

American McGay posted:

I'm legitimately happy for you. As fun as it was to watch from the sidelines I'm glad your long nightmare is finally over. If this is your first OLED you're in for quite a shock.

Since I can laugh at things now, there were air bubbles in the plastic protection screen that they put over the "Energy Save" sticker and my mind immediately went "not again" and I started to tear up before the logical side of my brain kicked in and said "can you loving chill for half a moment"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yo I know I posted about it already 👉👈 but holy poo poo, binding long-key presses to 1-8 might be my favorite thing about this TV next to the panel itself now that I've had a day to enjoy flying around.

1,2,3,4 are the corresponding inputs
5 youtube, then netflix, prime video and disney+

It is so snappy and fast and no more loving waiting around for TV input menus like i've been doing for 15 years. Just 1.5 seconds and I'm there at exactly the input I want.

I change apps and inputs all the time so this just feels like the future!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Reminds me of the nokia dumbphone days when they had one-button quick dialing.

Nice quality of life addition there.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Reminds me of the nokia dumbphone days when they had one-button quick dialing.

Nice quality of life addition there.

I just tried that on my iPhone and it worked!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Yo I know I posted about it already 👉👈 but holy poo poo, binding long-key presses to 1-8 might be my favorite thing about this TV next to the panel itself now that I've had a day to enjoy flying around.

1,2,3,4 are the corresponding inputs
5 youtube, then netflix, prime video and disney+

It is so snappy and fast and no more loving waiting around for TV input menus like i've been doing for 15 years. Just 1.5 seconds and I'm there at exactly the input I want.

I change apps and inputs all the time so this just feels like the future!!

How do you bind stuff?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
just how delicate are LG OLEDs? I've seen a couple 65C9s at decent prices open-box at costco/best buy/etc but man that upper portion is just so loving thin and unsupported I'm worried about laying it down in a truck bed or whatever. Is a couple thick moving blankets going to be enough or what?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kri kri posted:

How do you bind stuff?
You can either longpress 1-8 when in the app/input, or hold 0 and bring up the quickselect menu.

Also, uh, glad we dodged the Lowtax bullet there!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FilthyImp posted:

You can either longpress 1-8 when in the app/input, or hold 0 and bring up the quickselect menu.

I agree. It also looks like I might be getting a B9 at some point in the near future.

So I can join the thread of people talking about having awesome OLED TV’s.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Two weeks with my CX after a 12 year old LCD and I'm still in love. Just makes me wish I had a current gen console to play it on besides switch. Holding out for ps5 though.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey friends, I was hoping someone in here could give me a recommendation. I'm buying a new TV for the first time in like 7 years.

The TV needs to be 65" because it's going to get mounted above the mantel and anything smaller (current TV) doesn't cover the unfinished section of wall. I also live in Canadaland and would like to spend around 1000 Canadaland dollars. I was planning on sticking with name brands just because I'm not super knowledgeable, but reading the OP I see some stuff recommended that I would have ignored. Any thoughts?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tcl-6-series-65-4k-uhd-hdr-led-roku-os-smart-tv-65r615-ca/13185855

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you have an LG OLED, go to the "channel" menu and highlight "channel tuning" then press 11111

Wish this wasn't hidden :doh:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

That's easy. I don't know anything about TCL but googling that model number, a bunch of places call it the best value pick, so I guess I'm sold. Thanks for the help.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Not directly tv related, but I have a 60" vizio, and I wanted to get a soundbar for it. Are there any soundbars that work like my google assistant? Where I can yell at it and it does things, but then if I also just turn my tv on it automatically does the audio?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Skyarb posted:

Not directly tv related, but I have a 60" vizio, and I wanted to get a soundbar for it. Are there any soundbars that work like my google assistant? Where I can yell at it and it does things, but then if I also just turn my tv on it automatically does the audio?

What's your budget? The Sonos Beam and Arc do that but the cheaper one is $400.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

That's easy. I don't know anything about TCL but googling that model number, a bunch of places call it the best value pick, so I guess I'm sold. Thanks for the help.
Yeah it's gonna be your best bang for the buck. There's a Hisense model that some people think is better but the TCL is easy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, if your budget is CAD $1000 and 65 inches, the TCL 615 (2018 flagship) is the way to go.
Hisense's H9F ("Q9809" - 2019 flagship) is still going for $1499 at Visions.ca

And Samsung's offerings aren't worth getting unless it's a Qled 8 series at a minimum.

Vizio M Series Quantum is sold at Costco, but I've never been a member, so i can't tell you the price.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 27, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

beep by grandpa posted:

If you have an LG OLED, go to the "channel" menu and highlight "channel tuning" then press 11111

Wish this wasn't hidden :doh:

Even works on my 2015 model. Nice to see the abysmal signal level I get on my indoor antenna (34% on a good channel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FilthyImp posted:

This is one of my favorite features on my BMW infotainment system and I don't understand why the concept is not more common. The presets can be set to literally any menu of function by just holding a preset button, you want preset 1 to be a radio station, sure, preset 2 tire pressure, no problem, preset 3 enter your home address into the navigation system, done.

Someone must have a massive patent on this because as a concept it makes sense on so many devices.