Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
6 to 12 months from recent memory. Then another year for a pc release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I never really paid much attention, what kind of delay has there been between the JP releases and the NA ones?

EDF 5 released Dec 7, 2017 in Japan.

English PS4 release was Dec 11, 2018.

PC released July 11, 2019.

So about a year if you just want to play it ASAP, year and a half if you want to play on PC.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I couldn't figure out why those screenshots on the EDF6 page seemed off. Then I realized I was just confused at the idea of a collection of buildings that are merely heavily damaged, instead of entirely flattened :downs:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oof, yeah, gonna pretend I didn't even see the announcement then if it's not coming until 2022 in English.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
At least we'll have more EDF :)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bleh the Minecraft one is by Yuke's

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Minecraft EDF looks interesting, looks like you collect edf soldiers and the enemy types are taken from all over the series. They got the edf 1 tripods in there along with Hectors. I wonder if the Voxel style graphics means we'll get enviromental destruction or if its a purely aesthetic thing.

EDF 6 doesn't really have a lot to go on, judging by the screenshots but I guess we're headed back to the earth of EDF 5 with its 10% of humanity remaining. Heavy focus on destroyed city and a muted colour scheme. Kinda reminds me of the pre-release stuff for Iron Rain.

Do we know what platforms EDF is targeting? Just realised that Imay have to actually buy a ps5 lol.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can imagine the Switch will die slowly each mission. A return to overloaded consoles with a glut of monsters and explosions, unless Yuke's one again designs another reduced monster missions for stability game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how they're going to top me uppercutting God in the face with a giant mech in this one

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how they're going to top me uppercutting God in the face with a giant mech in this one

Now hear me out, what if god also had a giant mech?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game takes place three years after 5.
I expect the Bargas to get sentient and have speed upgrades. Maybe have Bargas zooming around and tossing buildings like Gigantor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ethiser posted:

:hmmyes:

quote:

The game takes place three years after 5.

Good luck with that second invasion, thousand humans who are still alive

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

quote:

2024. Humanity won the war against the unknown invaders that had lasted two years. The Primers left and silence returned to the Earth. However, the total human population was reduced to 10 percent. Civilization was on the verge of collapse. And those who survived continued to work hard towards reconstruction…

Three years later, in 2027. Humanity faced another major problem. Many of the aliens (Colonists) that the Primers had deployed into battle were left behind on Earth.

The Colonists formed groups and occupied cities to survive. They have settled on Earth. Humanity and the aliens frequently collided. And through repeated quarrels, both sides faced damages. The two races living on Earth grew tired of each other…

But there was a more serious problem: the invaders continued to breed on Earth.

The invaders that formed nests in the depths of the Earth and its ruins continue to increase. Their numbers have already overwhelmed humanity. Humanity had no choice but to continue fighting so that the invaders would not rule the Earth.

The reconstruction of society and revival of civilization is a very slow process, and each day before that is a struggle to make that day a reality. Humanity continues to fight against the threats that remain…

it's macross, i loving love it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh no, the insects are breeding UNDERGROUND!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should be a level where you play as one of the frogs and they're all weirded out by how much humanity looks like them too

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ethiser posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
god would use the mech to punch things. c'mon, we've already been over this.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
For smiting, Jim. For smiting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That plot summary makes me hope for an uneasy human-frog alliance, including giving us access to playable frogs halfway through the game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Infinity Gaia posted:

That plot summary makes me hope for an uneasy human-frog alliance, including giving us access to playable frogs halfway through the game.

There is zero way the big giant plains battle does not involve friendfrog reinforcements, calling it now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, the frogs were part of a horrifying war which exterminated most of humanity. but on the other hand, they have so much in common with humans!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A game where you can play three scenarios with three species to choose from.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's a trailer for the minecraft one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLY2xOguSSg

even on a different engine it looks more like typical edf than iron rain did, so hey it might be good

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

even on a different engine it looks more like typical edf than iron rain did, so hey it might be good

So uh, if the trailer is anything to go on there is on the fly class switching :stare: at 1:25 a falling ranger(?) changes into a Wing Diver.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I am 100% all over this. Amazing. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It won't be pushing system boundaries since it still uses the PS4, so the frame rate won't die on you, unless you use the Switch. Was there a handheld EDF game?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It won't be pushing system boundaries since it still uses the PS4, so the frame rate won't die on you, unless you use the Switch. Was there a handheld EDF game?

There was a Vita rerelease for EDF2. It was called Invaders from Planet Space.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
EDF5 is on sale for 29.99 on steam. Get anything else under 5 bucks for the "spend 30 get a 5 dollar coupon" thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

If we ever get a PC version, I'm curious as to whether or not it will support 1440p, unlike Iron Rain (which did not for some reason).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BisbyWorl posted:

There was a Vita rerelease for EDF2. It was called Invaders from Planet Space.
There was also a vita version of EDF3, not to mention the PSP version of EDF2 that planet space was bassed off.

Speaking of EDF2 the minecraft version of the opening london map looks pretty nice hopefully maybe this will be good?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unDvHWmVAns

They're still using those sound effects lol

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yes, the frogs were part of a horrifying war which exterminated most of humanity. but on the other hand, they have so much in common with humans!

Wasn't there a line in the game about the frogs being controlled by the greys? They had a bunch of alien tech attached to their spines. I could see them going independent after the war if the greys are gone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EDF is good

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Slap ALL the explosives on it and crab walk it into a pair of Queens.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I love doing that, same with loading it up with turrets. Hoping the mission packs in edf 5 go on sale some time, to unlock the dlc guns i already got in loot

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Uh yeah. You might as well buy the packs now since they only go on sale during pre-order. Same with 4.1 and 6 when it comes out. It is a selling quirk.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
D3P has been more on the ball with discounts. The EDF5 mission packs were $6 three months ago on Steam. They go on sale on Humble Store too occasionally where the choice 20% applies on top of the sale price.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Leal posted:

EDF is good

Pro-Tip: The same thing, but with turrets.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An update for EDF6 is they are bringing back Dragons and what looks like some sort of Soviet-era vehicle with multiple barrels. Oh boy, can't wait to face maps where every enemy can grab you and fly around for 20 seconds until you kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scalding Coffee posted:

An update for EDF6 is they are bringing back Dragons and what looks like some sort of Soviet-era vehicle with multiple barrels. Oh boy, can't wait to face maps where every enemy can grab you and fly around for 20 seconds until you kill it.

The flying frogs could do this in EDF5 anyway, since they were model-swapped dragons in every way.

I honestly wish they would get rid of that enemy type.