Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

I don't want to hear this!

As stated it was on sale at the start of the pandemic :v:

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone have a link with the good TTS mods (or if there's a thread)? I'd be most interested in Arkham Horror LCG and Spirit Island or anything else that's soloable, especially since Asmodee is cracking down on that.

Best mods for each of the Top 500 games on BGG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2086043930 :siren:

There was a really really brutal Pandemic mod that played out the first few weeks of the Coronavirus spread, but it's been pulled.
Like no matter how you played, you just couldn't contain the spread. It was so stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also that reminds me, I might hit up someone ITT in August to help me pickup the Hansa Teutonica Big Box on the cheap.
Someone linked a website that had it for like $35USD, and I'll need to dig it up.

Managed to play a game of it the other day on TTS and I quite enjoyed it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Spirit Island has like a shitton of good mods all based off https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396185597&searchtext=spirit+island this one.

In general though I wasn't much of a board gamer till the corona virus stuff started and TTS has made me start to want to get way into it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Also that reminds me, I might hit up someone ITT in August to help me pickup the Hansa Teutonica Big Box on the cheap.
Someone linked a website that had it for like $35USD, and I'll need to dig it up.

Managed to play a game of it the other day on TTS and I quite enjoyed it.

Shipping to the Upside Down may be expensive but if that is cheaper than buying it there I can help you out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheapest here is currently $70usd ish before shipping

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Spirit Island has like a shitton of good mods all based off https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396185597&searchtext=spirit+island this one.

In general though I wasn't much of a board gamer till the corona virus stuff started and TTS has made me start to want to get way into it.

Anyone interested in playing Spirit Island online with folks should also check out the Discord in the description of that mod. It's a very active community and it's usually possible to find a group to play with pretty much any time of day.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Jimmeeee posted:

Anyone interested in playing Spirit Island online with folks should also check out the Discord in the description of that mod. It's a very active community and it's usually possible to find a group to play with pretty much any time of day.

Yeah, I've been shocked with how not-terrible my experiences with random groups for TTS board games have been. I've also had a lot of luck getting games of Cthulhu Wars, and even Gods War via discord, and haven't had any toxicity. It's wild.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Gorelab posted:

If you do decide to jump in the advice I was given and didn't listen to (but should have) is pick a few games you really like the look of and play the crap out of them. Add new games slowly. Having a curated pile of games you really like is way more satisfying than having a big stack of games you've played a couple of times and then shelved.

When I started playing games I really wanted to "complete" my collection and have a pretty stand out game of each major type of game so I would never have to buy another game again. How foolish and naive!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Redundant posted:

If you do decide to jump in the advice I was given and didn't listen to (but should have) is pick a few games you really like the look of and play the crap out of them. Add new games slowly. Having a curated pile of games you really like is way more satisfying than having a big stack of games you've played a couple of times and then shelved.

When I started playing games I really wanted to "complete" my collection and have a pretty stand out game of each major type of game so I would never have to buy another game again. How foolish and naive!

Yeah my plan would be to buy Spirit Island and Branch and Claw to start with just because they're real fun and reasonably priced. I really like a lot of Petersen stuff but they seem hard to grab and are also expensive and biiig, so that's probably a no for just getting started.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The Pax Pamir 2nd edition TTS mod is official and very nicely done. I've taught several friends how to play using it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

question. the gods war is on sale on CSI for 90 bucks. i liked cthulhu wars the one time i played it and love glorantha but ive got limited storage space and it looks like this is a motherfucker in terms of taking up space, and i can't get a good read on whether it's actually fun to play. anyone have it or played it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fungah! posted:

question. the gods war is on sale on CSI for 90 bucks. i liked cthulhu wars the one time i played it and love glorantha but ive got limited storage space and it looks like this is a motherfucker in terms of taking up space, and i can't get a good read on whether it's actually fun to play. anyone have it or played it?

It didn't sound great from what I heard. The semi-1 v all stuff sounded especially bad.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I like it better than Cthulhu Wars. In general it feels more social especially due to Yelm's whole deal, and I prefer that you tend to lose via bleeding out than just being smashed apart quickly like often happens in CW. The biggest weakness I think is the Great Compromise on the last turn can be too king makey, but I think it works on turns before that for the most part.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

There's a pretty active TI TTS discord that I've found about a month ago, there's 1-4+ games of TI4 going pretty much at all times I've seen (Eurotrash timezone). I've played 4 games with random people from there now, haven't had a bad experience except the first learning game where someone had to bail after 3 rounds (probably due to the protests/police riots because he was American).

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
is 75 a decent price for Netrunner Revised Core + Terminal Directive? Read about the game a lot as I got into the hobby right when it got the axe, but I’ve played some on jinteki and really like it at this point.

Not really interested in proxying, and as far as I can tell it will cost far more to print anything equivalent through MPC.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

mellifluous posted:

I played The Voyages of Marco Polo for the first time last week in a 2p game. I'd heard voyaging was ironically expensive/difficult, and I wound up traveling to one large city only. My special ability was not rolling the dice, and my opponent had the white die plus a free contract at the beginning of each turn. He traveled to four cities (I think; maybe three or five), whereas I focused on fulfilling contracts. I won by a decent margin, but I'm wondering if that's mostly because he didn't seem to take advantage of his special ability (I fulfilled more contracts than he did). It seems pretty difficult to get across the board, so how much traveling do you typically do? I assume it's even more difficult at higher player counts when there are more dice in play.

It's important to look at the city actions and where the small city bonuses are before picking a character, some of them make map travel cheaper or collecting/redeeming goods easier, which can tilt the map towards traveling/contracting.

quote:

In Concordia, how often do you find that the end game is triggered by exhausting buildings vs. cards? In the few 2-player games I've played, it's always been buildings, whereas in the few 5-player games I've played, it's always been cards. I haven't played at 3 or 4 players. It makes sense to me that because building becomes much more expensive at higher player counts buying cards would be more efficient, but I wonder if I'm building too quickly at 2 players and should slow down and buy more cards.

My games usually tilt towards the deck being exhausted, as cards give victory points.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Played a game of Twilight Struggle yesterday for the first time in a long time, partly to get hype for Imperial Struggle.

That game is a) a mess, but b) a mess that has lots of great little internal balances.

I lost - US won with Wargames on Turn 7 after some really fortunate victory cards on Turn 6 which caused a 15 point swing. Fucker had a bit of good luck and managed to keep me completely out of the Americas (my coups kept clearing influence without giving me any) and then I got loving crushed.

Good times.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Any thoughts on Dark Souls: the card game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One of my recent orders arrived today, and it contained Tournament at Camelot which I should have a chance to play this coming weekend.

The tarot sized cards feel great, and the Ye Olde Artwork is delightful, but fuuuuuuuuuck shuffling 80 tarot sized cards.
I suck at riffle shuffling as well, so I don't want to damage the drat things.

*sigh* Washing it is

Also Ticket to Ride: New Yorks rulebook being a NY themed travel brochure is just :allears: levels of cute.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

Played a game of Twilight Struggle yesterday for the first time in a long time, partly to get hype for Imperial Struggle.

Dammit, I'm sitting here waiting for your review and you're off having fun with obsolete precursors! Get back to work!

VVV This is what I'm talking about. Excellent. How complex do you feel it is compared to TS? The Discerning Gamer almost described it as more of a worker-placement game in some sense than a CDG.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 23, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So i got halfway through a game of Imperial Struggle on vassal and the game is incredibly face-up. There's very meager amounts of hidden information but the bits that are there factor in significantly- how much debt am i gonna get in these wars is one i didn't really think about.

Everything's right there, and it's great, because there's a lot of interplay between things. I've realized just how valuable the alliance spaces in the non-European maps are by seeing how effective placing conflict markers can be on the last turn. I think i need to play it more to really say too much more.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nimby posted:

There's a pretty active TI TTS discord that I've found about a month ago, there's 1-4+ games of TI4 going pretty much at all times I've seen (Eurotrash timezone). I've played 4 games with random people from there now, haven't had a bad experience except the first learning game where someone had to bail after 3 rounds (probably due to the protests/police riots because he was American).

How does TI play out over TTS? I can't imagine playing an 8+ hour game like that in one sitting with randoms on the net with all the interruptions that might pop at.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

Dammit, I'm sitting here waiting for your review and you're off having fun with obsolete precursors! Get back to work!

VVV This is what I'm talking about. Excellent. How complex do you feel it is compared to TS? The Discerning Gamer almost described it as more of a worker-placement game in some sense than a CDG.

It hasn't arrived yet :saddowns:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Infinitum posted:

One of my recent orders arrived today, and it contained Tournament at Camelot which I should have a chance to play this coming weekend.

What made you pick Tournament at Camelot over Tournament at Avalon?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

alkanphel posted:

What made you pick Tournament at Camelot over Tournament at Avalon?

Camelot was on sale :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FulsomFrank posted:

It's really not much of a CDG- it doesn't really have the same kind of ops/events thing going on, except at the most basic level. A lot of strategy in the game is trying to cut the opponent off of the better investment tiles in a situation which is definitely why somebody might say it has the feel of a worker placement game.

I would say it's a significantly more complex game than TS, except for the card knowledge/management part of it, though it's still important to know the ministry and event cards, they don't drive everything any more. The game states in IS are the complicated part, as there are so many ways to score VPs.

For example, when you're being forced to go first in IS, you need to be looking to try to force the opponent into taking an economic primary tile as their last tile, as the other primaries really allow crazy plays when you can hold up debt and treaty points. You can't really protect Europe because there's no adjacency there, so your best bet is to keep an opponent from taking political primary and just dumping ops into the important european countries for the wars.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 23, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Quick question, does anyone know how to rotate a tile on 18xx.games? I want to run a game for friends tonight and I can't figure it out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm echoing admiration for Sprawlopolis, really clever and well executed way to get a lot of gameplay out of only 18 cards.

The core of the game is tile laying (cards, actually) and scoring based on road placement and color-coded districts. Sounds derivative but absolutely isn't.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Mayveena posted:

Quick question, does anyone know how to rotate a tile on 18xx.games? I want to run a game for friends tonight and I can't figure it out.

Click the tile after you pick it and it should rotate through legal options.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

mellifluous posted:

I played The Voyages of Marco Polo for the first time last week in a 2p game. I'd heard voyaging was ironically expensive/difficult, and I wound up traveling to one large city only. My special ability was not rolling the dice, and my opponent had the white die plus a free contract at the beginning of each turn. He traveled to four cities (I think; maybe three or five), whereas I focused on fulfilling contracts. I won by a decent margin, but I'm wondering if that's mostly because he didn't seem to take advantage of his special ability (I fulfilled more contracts than he did). It seems pretty difficult to get across the board, so how much traveling do you typically do? I assume it's even more difficult at higher player counts when there are more dice in play.

So, maybe remove Rashid from the pool if you're only playing two players. "In this game about rolling dice one character doesn't roll dice" is a bold statement, but two players is where it starts to break down.

I like to travel heavily in my games of Marco Polo, and most destination cards will require you to not only reach Beijing but double most of the way back to get all those points. The theory is that the extra points from going heavy on contracts is balanced out by the extra points for completing your destinations, reaching Beijing first, and maybe emptying out your supply of trading posts. In addition, going travel-heavy makes you more reliable - you get some guaranteed income and possibly-exclusive access to action spaces that are more efficient than going down in the market. Even for points - trading (DIE times) a camel and a silk for 4 points is a way better return than you'd see from contracts.

You were playing that you can do a city action up to the number of times on the die you place there, right? I could see that getting missed, which would make traveling much worse. (Note that the "per contract" city actions don't square this - read them as e.g. "up to DIE times get one point for one unique completed contract".)

Also with contracts you're kind of betting on the flop, that either a contract that just came out will line up with the goods you have or you can secure a contract's goods to get a good turnover on it. Rashid removes a lot of the chance from that equation (the Old Man of the Mountain does not believe in fate) and is always going to be able to secure the goods quantity and contracts he wants. The balancing factor to that - that a contract Rashid will rarely go first and have to deal with other players taking the contracts and free placements that he wants - is the least in play in a two player game, when only one player can block Rashid in between each turn.

He's okay at three, though.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

I woke up today with a goal today of buying cardstock paper and printing out Pandemic Hot Zone from an earlier post ITT. I buy the cardstock, I didn't mentally wake up enough to realize "drat, that's a lot of ink, though" and then I sat in front of my printing just to realize the cost of ink may outweigh the cost of the game overall - the $5 I threw down for some hard paper. THEN I went on YouTube just to see if anyone else had printed the game, what the cards ended up looking like at the end of the day, just to find out that Hot Zone is a normal boxed game, it's just about $10 cheaper than Pandemic and a bit shorter and smaller.

So now I'm at a weird standstill. I can get the game printed on cardstock for about $15 and not waste any ink in the printer here, pay $25 and get Hot Zone off Amazon, or throw down $35 and get the full Pandemic. I feel like just based off videos I've seen and the overall type of game it is, I'll enjoy it anyway, but... I don't know. Any opinions would be cool. Should I just go for the normal (regular Pandemic) now or get the cheapest (printed Hot Zone PDF) to decide if I like it and then go for Legacy?

While probably not the best coop game anymore... Pandemic is definitely (imo) the best INTRO coop game out there. I would argue that it's the best intro game for new people anyway. I personally would just buy Pandemic, then take your group's suggestions from there where to lead. the issue with Pandemic: Legacy is that you need the same play group each time to really make it the best experience, and it would suck to find out your friends just aren't as into it $60 and 2 weeks later.

Other interesting beginner choices are: Codenames (but note that for the branded/special editions EVERYONE playing needs to be pretty familiar with the material. i.e. don't get codenames marvel if you don't all love marvel), Splendor (or Century Spice Road).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Spiggy posted:

Click the tile after you pick it and it should rotate through legal options.

Thanks Spiggy!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Codenames is alright but I find that you really need to be on the same page as everyone else on your team, not just with Marvell/Harry Potter, etc. I'm 100% burned out on it from playing it at parties with people who want to give clues to one person at a time and whose main touchstones are TV shows I've never heard of, and for whom my clues like JOHN MILTON 5 are a total waste :saddowns:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Read less poetry and watch more TV.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CommonShore posted:

Codenames is alright but I find that you really need to be on the same page as everyone else on your team, not just with Marvell/Harry Potter, etc. I'm 100% burned out on it from playing it at parties with people who want to give clues to one person at a time and whose main touchstones are TV shows I've never heard of, and for whom my clues like JOHN MILTON 5 are a total waste :saddowns:
A 2 word clue? Shameful disregard for the rules. Ban this sick filth!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Redundant posted:

A 2 word clue? Shameful disregard for the rules. Ban this sick filth!

The rules explicitly allow compound words, common colocations, or proper nouns.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SoftNum posted:

the issue with Pandemic: Legacy is that you need the same play group each time to really make it the best experience, and it would suck to find out your friends just aren't as into it $60 and 2 weeks later.

That's why it's ideal to split the cost with your friends, so you all have the same sunk cost pushing you to play. Or play with your spouse. If nobody wants to go in on it, maybe it's not worth getting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommonShore posted:

my clues like JOHN MILTON 5 are a total waste :saddowns:

Sounds like a fun party.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is first Martians worth picking up cheap from a friend who is moving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Spikes32 posted:

Is first Martians worth picking up cheap from a friend who is moving?

Isn't that the horrible ignacy trashfire?