Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

So that means, what, people in dark clothing were in serious danger of catching fire? Protective eyewear compulsory?

You pay a big air conditioning bill or your actors look sweaty.

It would be about as bright as direct sun at noon in the summer, maybe a little less. A lot of early film studios were just greenhouses, all glass ceiling, I suppose those were hotter. Arc lights were the only way. Tungsten taking over in the 30s must have been hell, tungsten makes way way more thermal photons than visible light. It's literally white hot metal. HMI are much cooler and LED is very cool, almost no heat, for the same brightness in the visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

hell yeah, even most cinematographers in LA don't know their poo poo this well

I can’t say I’m surprised.

I’m just an amateur still photographer, but I had never seen anyone put it that bluntly. I worked it out for myself. Absolute aperture diameter matters and the reason to use larger cameras is if you want, or are at least willing to accept, low depth of field in exchange for light gathering and resolution. Large format cameras ease some practical concerns (lens design, camera movements, film grain) and make others worse (bulk, sensor size), but they cannot cheat physics.

Optics textbooks might get it right, but in general discussion, circle of confusion and related topics are just a black hole of misinformation.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

does the lens even perform that well at f45 due to diffraction? considering there are stuff filmed in 6k/8k or higher now

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

So that means, what, people in dark clothing were in serious danger of catching fire? Protective eyewear compulsory?

The sunny 16 rule says that in bright sunlight on a cloudless day, your shutterspeed at f/16 is the reciprocal of your ISO. So, 1/5s at ISO 5. That doesn't translate exactly for video because you're shooting 24 frames per second and the 'shutterspeed' speed (on film cameras at least) is governed by that and a rotating bit of metal that's more or less a half-circle depending on the light. Let's say it's 1/24s though. That means to get the right exposure you need to open it up to f/6.3. That's under best lighting conditions. Take the cameras indoors and you might need to open it up a whole lot more - which you can't really because otherwise your depth of field is going to be unworkably shallow. No-one wants to watch a film where the actor's nose is in focus but not the rest of their face. So your only option is to add more light. A lot more light.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Encrypted posted:

does the lens even perform that well at f45 due to diffraction? considering there are stuff filmed in 6k/8k or higher now

f/45 on large format isn't as much of a problem for diffraction as it would be on 35mm or smaller formats because the airy disk (which is the size of the largest point that can be considered sharp) is smaller relative to the negative size. Some large format lenses go as far as f/180.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

The sunny 16 rule says that in bright sunlight on a cloudless day, your shutterspeed at f/16 is the reciprocal of your ISO. So, 1/5s at ISO 5. That doesn't translate exactly for video because you're shooting 24 frames per second and the 'shutterspeed' speed (on film cameras at least) is governed by that and a rotating bit of metal that's more or less a half-circle depending on the light. Let's say it's 1/24s though. That means to get the right exposure you need to open it up to f/6.3. That's under best lighting conditions. Take the cameras indoors and you might need to open it up a whole lot more - which you can't really because otherwise your depth of field is going to be unworkably shallow. No-one wants to watch a film where the actor's nose is in focus but not the rest of their face. So your only option is to add more light. A lot more light.

They were probably shooting around f4.0, give or take a stop. That's why I said a little darker than direct sunlight.

Encrypted posted:

Vista vision size sensor at 8k, which is where Panavision's camera is at, you would see diffraction starting around f16 in my experience. Technically the airy disk is about the size of a pixel at f4.0 on that camera.

Platystemon posted:

I can’t say I’m surprised.

I’m just an amateur still photographer, but I had never seen anyone put it that bluntly. I worked it out for myself. Absolute aperture diameter matters and the reason to use larger cameras is if you want, or are at least willing to accept, low depth of field in exchange for light gathering and resolution. Large format cameras ease some practical concerns (lens design, camera movements, film grain) and make others worse (bulk, sensor size), but they cannot cheat physics.

Optics textbooks might get it right, but in general discussion, circle of confusion and related topics are just a black hole of misinformation.
I remember I had three questions about optics that bugged me, where I couldn't intuition an answer, and figuring them out took me down rabbit holes of understanding.

- Why, if a light moves away from me it gets darker in the room, do objects not look darker when the get further away. Seemed like in one, less light was reaching me and in the second, the same light was.

- Why do pinholes not have focus distances or bokeh. What trade-offs are made to make glass optics instead of pinhole optics.

- What would I have to do to take a picture of a basketball-sized globe and a picture of the earth from space and have the two pictures look identical.

Somewhere along answering that last one I realized the aperture would have to stay the same size if I scaled my camera up, but once I scaled distances it got a lot harder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Amateur filmmakers get tripped up constantly by lack of lighting. This guy is a local hack who's notorious for having loads of unfinished projects and a budget of "Whatever I can scrounge up from my house and actors I can convince to work for free." He tries to use unmodified indoor lighting on a DSLR with a black actor and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXuXZSwcpY&t=110s

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

computer, enhance

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pacra posted:

computer, enhance

Please tell me they blocked the gas flap with the flag pole lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Please tell me they blocked the gas flap with the flag pole lol

They blocked the gas flap with the flag pole lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

They blocked the gas flap with the flag pole lol

lol, they shouldn't have blocked the gas flap with the flag pole.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/LuCodOc.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/UxfMQQs.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Encrypted posted:

Kind of. The negative wouldn’t look great under a loupe, but the piece of film is so large that there’s still a lot of total detail.

The image you would get with an 4×5 camera at f∕45 would be quite similar to the image you’d get from a 35 mm camera at f∕12 with a lens a quarter the focal length.

The Airy disk (the size a perfect point expands to on film, roughly speaking) at f∕45 is 60 µm across. At f∕12, it’s only 16 µm. That sounds way better, a little under four times the resolution, but note that a 35 mm piece of film is a little under a quarter as wide. It cancels out.

For comparison, photosites on a twenty‐megapixel 35 mm camera are about 6.6 µm apart. Both cameras are diffraction‐limited.

Neither image is bad, but you’d have to question why you’d lug an 4×5 camera up a mountain when 35 mm could do just as well, if you’re not using camera movements.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Apart from the difficulty of taxing to a parking spot afterwards, landing gear seems pretty much optional for that pilot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antonymous posted:

- Why, if a light moves away from me it gets darker in the room, do objects not look darker when the get further away. Seemed like in one, less light was reaching me and in the second, the same light was.

This one reminds me of a surprising optics results that is somewhat OSHA related:

Binoculars do not make images brighter. They just make them larger. The Sun doesn’t sear a retina any more intensely when viewed through binoculars, it just sears a lot more of it at once.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zkUg20m.gifv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OSHA IV: OH HEY ITS GASFLAPS

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pacra posted:

computer, enhance

The other slightly more subtle lol is how many times that pole has pulled the screws out.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Pacra posted:

computer, enhance

Nothing says reckless disregard for others quite like having the flag pole fall off in traffic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

For comparison, photosites on a twenty‐megapixel 35 mm camera are about 6.6 µm apart. Both cameras are diffraction‐limited.

Are there even (commonly available) 35mm lenses that can resolve down to the pixel structure of these new 40, 45mp DSLRs that are coming out?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Encrypted posted:

I’m still waiting for science to create a 10-1000mm f1.0 lens someday. Price and size be damned.

24-2000mm f6.5 is the best we got I think :/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Encrypted posted:

I’m still waiting for science to create a 10-1000mm f1.0 lens someday. Price and size be damned.

Ken Rockwell would immediately buy one and use it to take 1000 oversaturated, oversharpened photos of palm trees and golf clubs, then complain that it was made in Thailand

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aP7jgyw_460svvp9.webm
poor GTI

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The guy in the Golf happened to be a motoring youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUKljBlrdI&t=5s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

The guy in the Golf happened to be a motoring youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUKljBlrdI&t=5s

Incredible

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That exact thing is what killed my '82 Audi Coupe GT. I was happily motoring along in my lane when a box truck changed lanes into my rear end and started pushing it sideways down the road I was honking and honking and finally spun off and came to rest up on the curb of the nearby sidewalk. The guy in the truck said he "didn't see me"
Totaled the car I had just gotten done tracing down all the problems that had kept it from running perfectly too :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe those trucks should be required to have mirrors that allow the driver to see what's in front of the truck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What’s up with these links? There’s been a few of them recently and I can’t open them. Just prompts me to download a file and lol gently caress that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s up with these links? There’s been a few of them recently and I can’t open them. Just prompts me to download a file and lol gently caress that.

they're webms. You must be browsing from an iphone or safari on mac. they cannot natively play webms. That one in particular is from 9gag. Imgur and others serve mp4s for iphones so you've never noticed.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Are there even (commonly available) 35mm lenses that can resolve down to the pixel structure of these new 40, 45mp DSLRs that are coming out?

if those are 35mm sensors then the pixel size is about 4.6um, you would need an f/4 f-stop lens to get to that resolution. so I think the answer to your question is yes. just found this website where you can play around with these calculations https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

dunno, it shows up and plays in mine fine

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

they're webms. You must be browsing from an iphone or safari on mac. they cannot natively play webms. That one in particular is from 9gag. Imgur and others serve mp4s for iphones so you've never noticed.

You can download VLC player from the app store to view them but it’s a pain in the rear end. Copy the link to the file, open VLC, go to network tab and select “open network stream”. Paste the link and it will play.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yup iOS and lol gently caress that.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe those trucks should be required to have mirrors that allow the driver to see what's in front of the truck.

The amount of blindspots they have is pretty scary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9E1_1M-qhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1aSvoIpVss

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Very sorry for the 9gag links, I have a friend in discord who posts stuff from there religiously...I've told him he can paste the direct video link and discord will convert it, but he won't do it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Binoculars do not make images brighter. They just make them larger. The Sun doesn’t sear a retina any more intensely when viewed through binoculars, it just sears a lot more of it at once.

They do with point sources, though, which is why you can see stars with binoculars that are too dim to perceive with the unaided eye; the star's still a point source when viewed through binoculars but your eye is receiving more light from it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cartoon Man posted:

You can download VLC player from the app store to view them but it’s a pain in the rear end. Copy the link to the file, open VLC, go to network tab and select “open network stream”. Paste the link and it will play.

I just tap the link and VLC opens and asks if I want to download or play.... I don’t remember doing anything special to make it do that, but I’ve been using vlc for ages so I probably wouldn’t even remember if I did.

Edit: on iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

I just tap the link and VLC opens and asks if I want to download or play.... I don’t remember doing anything special to make it do that, but I’ve been using vlc for ages so I probably wouldn’t even remember if I did.

Edit: on iPhone

It does that from within the awful app. But safari still asks you to download. Probably depends on what browser you’re using. It’s still a goddam pain in the rear end and one of many hills that Apple has chosen to die on like the lightning connector.