Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Anti-Tachyon posted:

This implies I have any idea how to do flames :v: but thanks, another thing I need to look into.

Think of it like reverse shading, in this case slightly modified by the mini. If you were doing actual fire you'd want it as bright as possible, but given the mini we'll want to modify the technique a bit.

Start with a bright yellow on the underbelly, this part you can shade semi-normally. I'd do a pink basecoat, a heavy white drybrush, then paint yellow over it; but I find yellow also works really well if you paint it over screaming skull. You just have to be careful with the second method if you plan to wash the model because if the wash pools anywhere it'll stain the yellow instantly. Fortunately, with the colors you've chosen, you'll want to avoid washes except maybe some spot washes around the teeth/horns.

For the upper scales, do the brightest orange or yellow-orange you can manage.

Carefully drybrush orange areas with orange, red orange, and then red using less paint with each layer, then carefully layer some stripes over that in pink then purple. The goal is to leave your orange color still visible in the cracks while letting the upper portions be primarily red (or pink/purple for the stripes). You can get some nice effects like this.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anti-Tachyon posted:

...but I have absolutely no idea how I would even approach doing something like this without an airbrush.

Basecoat yellow (PITA without an airbrush, or you could use yellow primer). Paint the scales with a mix of your base yellow and magenta. Thin the paint so it's somewhat translucent and pull from the inner part of the scale to the outer part so you leave a hint of yellow at the inner part. The do the same thing starting at the mid point of the scales using pure magenta. Finish by painting the outside part of the scale with a magenta and purple mix. Then edge highlight the scales and ridges on the scales with some of your yellow-magenta mixed with white. You could create some variation like on that snake by making some scales more purple and leaving the purple off on others. Don't apply the purple mix directly to yellow or you'll get a muddy effect.

For the underbelly scales just leave them yellow, shade in between them using an orange or red or brown, highlight with yellow plus a tiny bit of white.

That's what I'd do! Honestly I think the only part I'd use the airbrush for would be the yellow basecoat.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just waiting on water to dry so I can tint it with a bit of red, but otherwise I'm extremely happy with how this turned out

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Just waiting on water to dry so I can tint it with a bit of red, but otherwise I'm extremely happy with how this turned out

Gorgeous, really clean. What'd you use for the water?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

Gorgeous, really clean. What'd you use for the water?

woodland scenics realistic water mixed with a bit of VGC dark fleshtone and p3 red/brown. TRhere was some weird pigment seperation so once this drys Im probably going to topcoat it with a bit of blood for the blood god

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Have any of you ever painted the minis from the D&D Castle Ravenloft board game? I think painting those could be a fun break from warhams, but I've no idea what kind of plastic they are, and which primer I should use. They're kinda soft, so I worry that they might be like the Reaper Bones minis, and not react well at all to spray primers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They look like they're PVC (like Reaper Bones and the Nolzurs/Deep Cuts line), and after a cursory google search I saw references to spray priming not working so well. I'd wash them first and either brush prime or use one of the spray primer known to work well for Reaper Bones.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks! My brother-in-law paints a lot of Reaper models, I'll see if I can't borrow his primer :)

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Finished off a squad of Allarus Custodians, think I'll be expanding these now I can fit in Sisters of Silence (plus the gold is really quick which is nice!)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Count_Brass posted:

Finished off a squad of Allarus Custodians, think I'll be expanding these now I can fit in Sisters of Silence (plus the gold is really quick which is nice!)

Really nice! What's the recipe for the gold? is it NMM?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Count_Brass posted:

These are beautiful.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Gunder posted:

Really nice! What's the recipe for the gold? is it NMM?

Cheers! I roughly followed Marco Frisoni's (MarcoFrisoniNJM on Youtube) true metallic metal technique. I used a gloss black primer (Vallejo,) airbrushed a base of Scale75 Dwarven Gold and then airbrushed burnt sienna ink from below (I tried this step with Reikland Fleshade on Valerian but it was too matte.) Pin washed with black oil paint, highlighted with Scale75 Speed Metal. Nice and quick!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Worked on a few different things since I last posted (both assembly and painting wise) but just wrapped up following Darren Latham's video on painting Blood Angels. I feel like it helped me a lot with how to apply both highlights and shades both from a color theory perspective, and where to put them, and how to properly thin for the different effects. Feeling good and looking forward to trying related techniques on other models now.

Couldn't settle on pictures that I loved so here's some indoors, outdoor ones here

Planning to not do any basing just yet. I'm contemplating painting up a marine from each chapter loyalist and traitor, if I do that I'd probably tie them together for display with a consistent basing scheme.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Count_Brass posted:

Meant to reply to this before I posted :v:

Loving this look, I'm going to be attempting some custodians soon with brush only, should be fun!

How did you do the bases? I'm thinking about seeking out some sort of guide on a white marble floor look because I think that could be really cool and halls/palace of Terra-esque

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

How did you do the bases?

The bases are Secret Weapon "Silent Halls." I primed them with a dark grey (humbrol dark sea grey spray,) shaded the recesses with Scale75 Graphene Grey, drybrushed and stippled with Citadel Celestra Grey. After that I thinned a couple of washes down with Lahmian Medium (Biel Tan green, Druchii Violet) and added them in patches to add a little bit more flavour to the stone. I used Typhus Corrosion for the muddy battle damage.

For marble there's a great technique using a stretched dryer sheet to provide the texture.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Meant to reply to this before I posted :v:

Loving this look, I'm going to be attempting some custodians soon with brush only, should be fun!

How did you do the bases? I'm thinking about seeking out some sort of guide on a white marble floor look because I think that could be really cool and halls/palace of Terra-esque

I recently saw this white marble tutorial which might interest you: http://www.thebrushwizard.com/2019/06/adventures-in-contrast-white-marble.html

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the marble tips ya'll!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Blood for the blood god is sweet. Drips are made with nylon string, shoe goo, and blood

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Very weird request, but could someone give me the measurement (mm would be ideal) of a Necron Warrior leg? I'm working on a Warmachine conversion project, and I need trooper-sized robot parts. The in-game robot faction (Convergence) are noticeably too big, so I'm hoping that Necrons will be suitable donors, but I don't really want to buy a box of them for parts only to find out that the size won't work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

w00tmonger posted:

Blood for the blood god is sweet. Drips are made with nylon string, shoe goo, and blood

i love this DIY method so much

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Thanqol posted:

I learned a lot through this process.

Thanks for the tattoorial. What was your inspiration for the tat image? Could you give us a close up of the chest?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karnegal posted:

Very weird request, but could someone give me the measurement (mm would be ideal) of a Necron Warrior leg? I'm working on a Warmachine conversion project, and I need trooper-sized robot parts. The in-game robot faction (Convergence) are noticeably too big, so I'm hoping that Necrons will be suitable donors, but I don't really want to buy a box of them for parts only to find out that the size won't work.

Can't speak for necrons (especially if it's the new kits) exactly, but warmahordes and 40k have slightly different scales

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Iron Crowned posted:

Can't speak for necrons (especially if it's the new kits) exactly, but warmahordes and 40k have slightly different scales

I'm aware, but the in-range robot stuff on similar-sized bases are too big, so I'm kind of hoping a smaller scale might actually be the right size

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Karnegal posted:

Using the below image to compare it to a tactical marine, then measuring one of my tactical marines. I'd estimate that depending on the pose, necron warrior legs are between 17mm and 23mm tall.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

so am I basically stuck not being able to shade/highlight coloshift paints if I want to maintain the effect?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

w00tmonger posted:

so am I basically stuck not being able to shade/highlight coloshift paints if I want to maintain the effect?

You can do some shading with inks, washes and highlights, just don't overdo it

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painted another rat. was more careful this time

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Does that help enough?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Does this thread have a Discord by any chance?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dienes posted:

Does this thread have a Discord by any chance?

There is a miniature painting channel in the TGG discord, which is here (I hope) https://discord.gg/SyPWWq

Me, I dont really know how discord works and am dubious that it will be any kind of real replacement for this thread, so I'm going to just continue fiddling while Rome burns, if thats okay with everyone.

Painted this guy a few weeks ago, just getting around to photographing him now, a Dead Rider for Malifaux (1st edition metal model)

He was actually pretty okay to paint, but hes not terribly sturdy, and I dropped the loving thing and had to reglue him in the middle of painting. I dont love the fact that one of the feet is modelled on a rock, but I think it doesnt look too out of place on top of a bigger rock.

Then I painted these guys, a Freikorps crew (2E, apart from the librarian who is 1E). They were an ebay rescue, so dont look too closely at the hosed up lid of the steam trunk, the seller had put it together wrong and I did what I could. Mainly contrasts over a zenithal highlight

Then this week I could not be arsed dealing with my wet palette at all, so I figured "lets paint something thats almost entirely metallics", so here is the Charles Hoffman box (again 2E)

They were quire relaxing to paint, and Cote D'arms "Ink wash armour" followed by drybrushing did most of the heavy lifting for me tbh.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

God, there's like 5 different TG goon Discords and I've joined them all. I just want to keep chatting about painting in the future :smith:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I posted in the 40k thread already, but if poo poo gets bad over this lowtax thing be sure to join the discord. Also doors are open at Tide of Traitors if you don't mind FB. It's a good community and goons have been its bedrock since the beginning.

It'll ask a couple questions but be sure to signify you're coming from SA and you'll be fine.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What is the discord? I haven't been able to find it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
They're getting PM'ed in the 40k thread I believe

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like all these guys, but I love the rider. He's has the goofy, slightly clumsy look that a lot of 1. edition model have. I got an Avatar of Instinct in the Wyrd Easter sale, and it's just silly, and I'll love it forever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I like all these guys, but I love the rider. He's has the goofy, slightly clumsy look that a lot of 1. edition model have. I got an Avatar of Instinct in the Wyrd Easter sale, and it's just silly, and I'll love it forever.

Thanks! I like the look of a lot of the 2E and 3E stuff fine, but some of the 1E stuff just has a certain goofy charm. The 2E Dead Rider is.... Fine. But a skeletal rider on a skeletal horse is less charming than the 1E model (though a lot of the joins in the sculpt are flat to flat and fragile as hell). My other favourite detail is in the move from hand sculpted to computer rendered is in the winged guy in the Hoffman crew; The wing towards the camera isnt foreshortened, its about a third the length of the other wing because thats how the 3d render from the art was apparently interpreted.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just received one of those light boxes that was posted the other day.

I was hoping to have some finished models, but here we go. First paint job in 3 years.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

The wing towards the camera isnt foreshortened, its about a third the length of the other wing because thats how the 3d render from the art was apparently interpreted.
What? That's just stupidly lazy.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I ordered a replacement nozzle head from Usa Airbrush Supply for my SOTAR last week. Impossibly, mine developed a crack and just lets a shitload of air in. The part they sent me does not work. It's the right part number, and appears to dimensionally similar except for the ID on the center piece where the nozzle sits is alot smaller. Shown here:

It doesnt fit for poo poo. The cracked piece works better lmao

Either they've changed the design of the SOTAR 2020 since ive purchased my airbrush several years ago, this is a mislabeled part for a similar badger airbrush, or its insanely out of spec.

Either way, looks like im not painting for another week :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Hixson posted:

I ordered a replacement nozzle head from Usa Airbrush Supply for my SOTAR last week. Impossibly, mine developed a crack and just lets a shitload of air in. The part they sent me does not work. It's the right part number, and appears to dimensionally similar except for the ID on the center piece where the nozzle sits is alot smaller. Shown here:

It doesnt fit for poo poo. The cracked piece works better lmao

Either they've changed the design of the SOTAR 2020 since ive purchased my airbrush several years ago, this is a mislabeled part for a similar badger airbrush, or its insanely out of spec.

Either way, looks like im not painting for another week :(

Last time (only time) I ordered replacement parts from them they sent damaged parts each time.