Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Isn't that the horrible ignacy trashfire?

you will have to be much more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CommonShore posted:

TV shows I've never heard of, and for whom my clues like JOHN MILTON 5 are a total waste :saddowns:

Alas, these quarrelsome knaves, these doltish jackanapes! How they taunt me and shame mine own intellect, vexing me with amorous tales of Lucille and the chimeric sheriff Andrew of a backwater town! I dream only to justify the ways of God to men, and to have them select the pineapple tile! Woe!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Is first Martians worth picking up cheap from a friend who is moving?

It's not about something being cheap. Ask yourself the important questions: if someone asked you at gunpoint to choose between First Martians and a bullet, which would you pick?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's John milton

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

What's John milton

Not much, what's john Milton with you?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
TG namechange suggestion: "John Milton Bradley"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm glad that at least you all understand. The worst was the time I was forced to play Disney Codenames and I had seen literally none of the movies. It did not go well. My 8 year old teammate was not happy with me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CommonShore posted:

I'm glad that at least you all understand. The worst was the time I was forced to play Disney Codenames and I had seen literally none of the movies. It did not go well. My 8 year old teammate was not happy with me.

Am I really so out of touch? No.

Surely, it is the children who are wrong.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CommonShore posted:

No, child! The clue was SON OF GOD 2! Do you not see the parallels in the allegory of Christ our Savior and the tale of this 'Moana?' Why would you even select Elsa? Lord, spare me.

Unrelated 'The John Milton FIve' sounds like a pretty lovely Christian rock cover band.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Infinitum posted:

How does TI play out over TTS? I can't imagine playing an 8+ hour game like that in one sitting with randoms on the net with all the interruptions that might pop at.

The 3 games I've played so far have been 5-6 hour affairs that have played pretty smoothly. There's not been that many interruptions and the random people have been mostly friendly and understanding if you make a mistake.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Spikes32 posted:

The components might be nice for upgrading an actual game

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

food court bailiff posted:

Am I really so out of touch? No.

Surely, it is the children who are wrong.

I was definitely the one who was wrong. Pretty much on every guess. That was why she was upset with me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Pan Am looks fun

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Dr Tran posted:

Pan Am looks fun

I watched some videos about it and I agree! Looks neat!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CommonShore posted:

Codenames is alright but I find that you really need to be on the same page as everyone else on your team, not just with Marvell/Harry Potter, etc. I'm 100% burned out on it from playing it at parties with people who want to give clues to one person at a time and whose main touchstones are TV shows I've never heard of, and for whom my clues like JOHN MILTON 5 are a total waste :saddowns:

I had someone tell me the name of the goblin bank of Harry Potter. I nor my co-agent had never read the books or seen the movies. I've been guilty of it too, and got a bit salty when my friends didn't know what a patina was.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I had someone tell me the name of the goblin bank of Harry Potter. I nor my co-agent had never read the books or seen the movies. I've been guilty of it too, and got a bit salty when my friends didn't know what a patina was.

A friend got ExTrEMEly annoyed when nobody on his team had heard of Paris Match (the French newspaper) and they never regained the lead.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Spikes32 posted:

It is extremely bad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr Tran posted:

Pan Am looks fun

Yeah, the game is very good.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Spikes32 posted:

I picked it up cheap, set it all up, started going through the rules, sighed deeply, and put it away. There might be something there, but I think it would take some patience and commitment.

Speaking of patience and commitment, I overlooked Goomhaven for ages thinking it would be too much of a commitment. Thanks to whoever suggested picking up Jaws of the Lion. Having fun so far. On the one hand, it makes me want to play the full game eventually, but on the other hand, I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much without the reportedly gentler introduction that JotL does.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ticket to Ride Europe is like 33% off on Amazon right now

With this coming in, I will have Ticket to Ride, TTR Asia, TTR Europe all delivered this week. Got a few other games too (Disney Villainous, Pandemic, and Carcassone) that I have yet to play. Saturday is going to be filled with board games, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hello,

It may be a good time to mention there is a Board Game Thread discord at https://discord.gg/kVwZpaf we are quite chill and relaxed. This is not the TG discord as a whole, this is board game thread specific, but personally speaking if you want to talk about shoes in there that's okay too.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

fondly remembering the 1e rulebook of Robinson Crusoe

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Glazius posted:

So, maybe remove Rashid from the pool if you're only playing two players. "In this game about rolling dice one character doesn't roll dice" is a bold statement, but two players is where it starts to break down.
We were following the recommendations for the first game, but in looking at the rule book again, it does assume it's a 4-player game. The reasoning about him being unbalanced in a 2-player game makes sense.

Glazius posted:

You were playing that you can do a city action up to the number of times on the die you place there, right? I could see that getting missed, which would make traveling much worse. (Note that the "per contract" city actions don't square this - read them as e.g. "up to DIE times get one point for one unique completed contract".)
Yes, I understood you could take the city's action up to the number of pips, as long as you had enough resources to do so, and I did use my lone city in this way in the final round.

Thanks to everyone else who also weighed in on this game and Concordia!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

This made me laugh an unreasonable amount.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The faces when you're showing your 60-dice co-op solitaire game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dr Tran posted:

Pan Am looks fun

We've played it two player twice now and have enjoyed it both times. For $35 it's a no brainer :). We are looking forward to playing it with especially 4, as the limited spaces will really come into play then. Maybe they'll let it be posted on TTS or they'll get a BGA implementation, that'd be great.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm glad I finally figured out what Discord was earlier this year? *im old*

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah that's why people stopped asking you things

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

The faces when you're showing your 60-dice co-op solitaire game.

And yet I'm pretty tempted!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

We've played it two player twice now and have enjoyed it both times. For $35 it's a no brainer :). We are looking forward to playing it with especially 4, as the limited spaces will really come into play then. Maybe they'll let it be posted on TTS or they'll get a BGA implementation, that'd be great.

I thought you were joking but BGB has it for sale for ~$37 Canuck bucks. The production quality looks great for that price.

Is this the benefit of having the Funko money bankrolling you?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought you were joking but BGB has it for sale for ~$37 Canuck bucks. The production quality looks great for that price.

funko just layed off like 25% of their employees and their sales are way down apparently.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Target is not going to charge hobby prices for their games. That's why it's $35 I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Target sold Game of Thrones Catan for like $80 on shelves. They'll definitely put stuff at premium prices.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 24, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

funko just layed off like 25% of their employees and their sales are way down apparently.

Jesus, that's awful. Par for the course with a lot of businesses right now unfortunately I think though.

Mayveena posted:

Target is not going to charge hobby prices for their games. That's why it's $35 I think.

Always forget that Target exists and that the US gets these strange relationships with board games and the big retailers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Jesus, that's awful. Par for the course with a lot of businesses right now unfortunately I think though.

Yeah, hopefully their game division is stable and safe because they're doing good things.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Stelas posted:

Hello,

It may be a good time to mention there is a Board Game Thread discord at https://discord.gg/kVwZpaf we are quite chill and relaxed. This is not the TG discord as a whole, this is board game thread specific, but personally speaking if you want to talk about shoes in there that's okay too.

Thanks for posting that. Check GBS if you're wondering why people are sharing discord links and maybe hit up your favorite threads today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FulsomFrank posted:

Always forget that Target exists and that the US gets these strange relationships with board games and the big retailers.

Target existing and being willing to sell Pan Am was a big factor in the game getting produced at all.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NM google answered this for me.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Huxley posted:

I never got the big Gloomhaven but am pretty interested in the new one. Amazon says it releases Sept 1, my FLGS has it on preorder, but my local Target apparently has it in stock (but not for curbside, lol).

Does Target actually have some kind of timed exclusivity, or are things being weird and wrong?

Target gets a bunch of Target Exclusive things which release elsewhere a few months later. It seems to be in that boat, which is weird for something as niche as Gloomhaven, but exciting to see how possibly un-niche it's getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I guess the previous invite hit limit so here's a new one - https://discord.gg/CZHdKaE