Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Some of Gav Thorpe's stuff is solid (Shadow King is an awesome book) but the more I'm reading the more I'm noticing every single piece of End Times literature is pure rear end

There are a few gems in the End Times content but yes almost everything else is just complete poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does anyone know if there's a mod that makes the Empire Tech more interesting?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ayyyyyyyyy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm really mad and will continue to be really mad that thanes don't have an oathstone ability where they plonk down a stone, stand on it and can't be moved from that spot by any force in the world.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i know there's a lot of over the top poo poo in warhammer but i can never get over how quickly the guys holding these things up would get killed in actual combat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

punishedkissinger posted:

i know there's a lot of over the top poo poo in warhammer but i can never get over how quickly the guys holding these things up would get killed in actual combat

They're not eye level so most stuff is focused on the big burly son of a bitch riding them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They're also probably meant to be ultra elite troops so even holding up the shield they'll still murder the gently caress out of you.

Also there's now a dwarf who might be taller than you, this is very bad for the odds of your head staying attached to your body if you get anywhere near them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“In reality” I figure they’d be hanging out in the middle of a shield wall, not in the front rank getting in duels.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Ravenfood posted:

Meanwhile I desperately want a ranged nerf and for morale shocks from cavalry to be significantly more impactful.

Christ yes. I love WH2 but sometimes I load up Medieval 2 just to watch a cavalry charge and cry.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

On the one hand, I got this for beating up Greenskins and finishing Karl's quest battle. On the other hand I think it's MORE thematic for Greenskins to like you for fighting them?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
What I wanted out of warwagons was less a chariot and more a mobile fortification like vampire coast gunnery crabs. A big heavy box that sits there, blocks cavalry and shoots that I can lace amongst my boys to stop them getting overrun by monstrous units or run over by cavalry

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

What I wanted out of warwagons was less a chariot and more a mobile fortification like vampire coast gunnery crabs. A big heavy box that sits there, blocks cavalry and shoots that I can lace amongst my boys to stop them getting overrun by monstrous units.

Oh... no. They will die because they are ALSO fragile!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sarcastastic posted:

After finishing up with Markus (Who was a ton of fun, assloads of Huntsmen and a couple cannons make Nakai a sad crocboi) I decided to do the other flavour of invader with Repanse. I've basically painted the entire Southlands my colour except the dwarfs and Sudenburg, and I'm still like 700 Chivalry short. Starting to invade Lustria, since I guess that's my best option?
Southern Lustria has some land that you can actually colonize. Also to get more Chivalry, just abuse Brettonia's ability to have as many Lords as you want without the upkeep malus - each lord earns you more chivalry when you win a battle so just have a bunch of chicks following around the hen.

Onmi posted:

Like they have Mortar ones and it's like... Great... why the gently caress wouldn't I just use a Mortar?
The Mortar War Wagons are amazing and always end up replacing my standard mortars because mobility for such a powerful artillery piece is amazing. It makes me wish someone had horse-drawn artillery pieces so I could more easily move by cannons and poo poo around. Anyway, the Mortar War Wagons are especially great when you are fighting Skaven because they dont give a poo poo about Menace From Below, spells, or getting attacked.... they just roll away. They can also contribute in a tight fight by being able to actually enter a melee and not die immediately. They can be the charge in the rear that breaks a unit or the Chariot-like run-through-the-enemy-lines-to-cause-formation-disruption too.

Often Abbreviated posted:

Christ yes. I love WH2 but sometimes I load up Medieval 2 just to watch a cavalry charge and cry.
I dont load up Medieval 2 but I do wish Cav charges felt more impactful in WH2, yeah.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Onmi posted:

Oh... no. They will die because they are ALSO fragile!

Yeah thats the problem. I want them to absorb damage and maybe deal a little ranged damage but mostly I want them to sit there blocking shots and body blocking. Nothing the empire has can body block monsters save the steam tank and since we don't have ogre mercs....

Just mass like a neutron star, tons of HP and armor maybe some ward, low damage nothing special speed wise purely intended to park in the way of things and get caught on.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 23, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It makes me wish someone had horse-drawn artillery pieces so I could more easily move by cannons and poo poo around.

There are mods for that

Seriously, there are a lot of mods for this game and you should check them out

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Now that people can add both custom models and custom animations, the modding possibilities are amazing. ChaosRobbie is working ATM on a Ghorghon, for example.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2118303589

Azran fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 23, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Mortar War Wagons are amazing and always end up replacing my standard mortars because mobility for such a powerful artillery piece is amazing. It makes me wish someone had horse-drawn artillery pieces so I could more easily move by cannons and poo poo around. Anyway, the Mortar War Wagons are especially great when you are fighting Skaven because they dont give a poo poo about Menace From Below, spells, or getting attacked.... they just roll away. They can also contribute in a tight fight by being able to actually enter a melee and not die immediately. They can be the charge in the rear that breaks a unit or the Chariot-like run-through-the-enemy-lines-to-cause-formation-disruption too.

There was a Dogs of War unit in TT "Bronzino's Galloper Gun" that was pretty sick looking (Sculpted by the Perry brothers of course). No idea if it was actually effective in any way, but I could see it being used in TWWH to get the gun along the flank and gently caress up infantry engaged with your line. It looks like enough that it could have a pretty high RoF. Hopefully Dogs of War get added in the third game.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 23, 2020

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

playing a Skarsnik campaign and man I forgot how fun Squig Hoppers are. As tiny and fast as they are they seem to have absurd unit mass, just plowing through dwarf lines with ease

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drat it Throgg... he declared on me, dragging Moulder into war, in turn making Moulder attack a settlement I got when I confederated with Ostland.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Onmi posted:

Like they have Mortar ones and it's like... Great... why the gently caress wouldn't I just use a Mortar?

Less vulnerable to light cavalry/menace below and can Do A Thing after the ammo's gone.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I have never really hated fighting the Dwarfs until my most recent game where the Vampire Counts in the Empire never got going. I'm at turn 175 and have conquered all of the Southlands and have coves scattered all over the place, but the Dwarfs just declared war and jesus just a few turns of fighting them as the Vampire Coast has been a tremendous pain in the rear end. They. Just. Won't. Die.

I mean I've won every battle against them so far but oh my *god* I had to kite Ungrim, the last survivor of his army, back and forth with my Mournguls for about three solid minutes while my Deck Gunners shot at him for him to finally die. I mean it was a second-line army that I didn't expect to engage anything major, but a half-gone army of Dwarfs that had just colonized a settlement still took a tremendous amount of damage before they finally died.

Edit: Also, are night battles supposed to be so dark that it's almost impossible to tell what's going on at ground level? The Vampire Coast and naval battles seem to get a lot more battles at night and they absolutely suck trying to discern anything at all. I play on two different computers with very different graphical settings, so I don't *think* it's just a graphics issue.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 23, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's sort of the dwarf thing. They're sturdy as heck

Bring lots of anti infantry and armor piercing and they're usually pretty easy to deal with though. Their infantry is tough but apart from slayers they're not very killy

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

As someone who plays Skaven a ton, but has never actually finished a campaign, can someone give me some tips on Undercities?

I recently played a Snikch campaign and accidentally confederated basically all of Lustria, which basically took me to like -9 food around and essentially ended my campaign.

So what's the optimal way to do Undercities? Obviously I want to hit the big cities and do the "steal 20% of income" one, and I guess use the straight "200 gold per turn" one for smaller cities? How many provinces do I want to actually own and manage vs how often should I just be expanding my Under Empire?

Also, at what point should I be switching out my chaff units for Stormvermin? I mostly play Ikit Claw, and I feel like I can't field several armies with ranged weapons and artillery and still afford Stormvermin.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

playing a Skarsnik campaign and man I forgot how fun Squig Hoppers are. As tiny and fast as they are they seem to have absurd unit mass, just plowing through dwarf lines with ease

Yeah Im loving skarsnik now.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My first undercities all take that sweet sweet gold, but over time as you develop your provinces it’s good to transition undercities into food production. In my Eshin game I somehow became bffs with Grimgor and he didn’t seem to mind that his badlands provinces were infested with undercities, all of which were pumping food into my... food coffers? Granaries? I don’t want to know what Skaven eat

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Prop Wash posted:

what Skaven eat

Yes.

Skaven eat yes. Can it be eaten? Yes they will eat it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Trying to think of a good Volkmar army build. like. Flagellents is the obvious meme, answer, but like an actual army build.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

As someone who plays Skaven a ton, but has never actually finished a campaign, can someone give me some tips on Undercities?

I recently played a Snikch campaign and accidentally confederated basically all of Lustria, which basically took me to like -9 food around and essentially ended my campaign.

So what's the optimal way to do Undercities? Obviously I want to hit the big cities and do the "steal 20% of income" one, and I guess use the straight "200 gold per turn" one for smaller cities? How many provinces do I want to actually own and manage vs how often should I just be expanding my Under Empire?

I mostly just set up my Undercities for food, going with the -Discovery building, Food building (the bog-standard one or the one that gives income if the province is making say over 2,000), and lastly the building that gives a 2.5% chance of spreading your Undercities to an adjacent province.

Doesn't seem like much but once you've got five of them, they begin to snowball (and that's saving you around 5,000 gold on establishing a city each time).

I also tend to set up my cities far away from my initial province in a relatively stable area, like say Bretonnia or Lothern. Means I won't have to go about destroying my own cities later on.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Onmi posted:

Trying to think of a good Volkmar army build. like. Flagellents is the obvious meme, answer, but like an actual army build.

flagellants and fire-damage causing units, esp. KotBS

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

flagellants and fire-damage causing units, esp. KotBS

Helstorms and the State Mortar that's friendly fire free.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Know this is beating a dead horse, but just saw a single Empire stack beat three "End-Game" WoC stacks :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Also, at what point should I be switching out my chaff units for Stormvermin? I mostly play Ikit Claw, and I feel like I can't field several armies with ranged weapons and artillery and still afford Stormvermin.

As Ikit Claw you never need to switch out your chaff for anything else, in fact once you get to turn 20-25 or so and get the workshop upgrades going a bit you don't even need any chaff at all, you can go with just guns, artillery, warlock engineers a doomwheel or two and it'll be fine. Your weapons teams are ridiculously cheap in upkeep, they're basically like other factions' tier 1 archers.

You don't really need to control any provinces other than Skavenblight either if you don't want to, but having a few nearby ones can be useful as a buffer. Don't overexpand or you'll run out of food.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I dont think about "what do I actually want to own vs have undercities in?"; I think about "do I want to own this province long term?". I take a look at the map and think about what I want to own long term so I can plan what provinces I will take to own vs provinces I want to use as a cash and food farm. I use this to know whether to ever bother establishing an undercity. For example, as ME Ikit Claw I know I dont want to expand into owning Bwettonian land (other than Massif Orcal, which Bwettonians will just ignore forever) because then I would have more territory that High Elves, Wood Elves, and Norsca are more likely to attack. Instead I want to own K8P and Mount Gunbad for their amazing Landmark buildings, so I go about taking over Estalia, Tilea, Sartosa, the Vaults (another good Landmark), Border Princes and Karak Hirn's provinces (thats two Pastures which grant good food income) in order to build towards K8P and Gunbad. The whole time I have armies roving through Bwettonia, the Empire, and the Southlands sacking cities for money then installing Undercities, because I know I will never want to own that land.

The undercities themselves you want to balance the food income that they provide vs the food upkeep that they will take - you want to have a huuuuge surplus of food because it keeps your rats happy and lets you just max settlement size every single town you take, which saves you money in the long run because you get the tier 3 and tier 5 settlement capital buildings for free, which also means bigger garrisons and the province capital generator building that generates a food faster, which increases your food throughput. The more food your undercities generate the more surface settlements you can take at max tier, which means more money - its easier to get Undercities producing like 6 food a turn than it is to get them to generate a ton of cash, especially because cash generating in undercities costs multiple food, while max settlements gush cash but only ever take 1 food upkeep. The obvious exceptions to Undercities-generating-cash is what others have mentioned - major settlements and gold producing settlements that have 1.5k+ income should get the 50% building.

Early game with Undercitis, when you're poor and just getting started, I focus on mixing food and money income, but once I have a few provinces off the ground making me a ton of cash I focus on food from all my new undercities. Eventually once your food throughput is high enough you can start delving into some of the alternate buildings that give you other buffs, but I find them to mostly be a waste because you need a lot of any of them for them to be useful, and its just more useful to have a zillion food instead.

Never, especially as Ikit Claw. Not that Stormvermin are bad, but that you do not need them for their cost, and you do not need them in Ikit Claw armies. Here is a screenshot of one of my standard Ikit Claw Armies:

Note that Mika was able to beat those Lizardman armies without taking more than 30-40 casualties in a battle.

Here is an older effort post I did (from before Poisoned Wind Mortars were a thing) that outlines the tactics you can do to fight off two armies without taking a casualty: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

How do people siege with Skaven? I’ve seen people say Plagueclaw Catapults are good for them, but their firing arcs never seem good when I try and use them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ethiser posted:

How do people siege with Skaven? I’ve seen people say Plagueclaw Catapults are good for them, but their firing arcs never seem good when I try and use them.

Poison Wind Mortars are probably the best siege unit in the game other than the Queen Bess, and Death Globe Bombadiers are incredible when you get into the streets.

Pretty much all other Skaven units are useless in sieges though.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Makes me wonder what SFO will do with war wagons, hmm. If nothing, that mod posted earlier looks loving badass.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Neuronyx posted:

Makes me wonder what SFO will do with war wagons, hmm. If nothing, that mod posted earlier looks loving badass.

They get the ability to rearm nearby missile or artillery ammo

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Never, especially as Ikit Claw. Not that Stormvermin are bad, but that you do not need them for their cost, and you do not need them in Ikit Claw armies. Here is a screenshot of one of my standard Ikit Claw Armies:

Note that Mika was able to beat those Lizardman armies without taking more than 30-40 casualties in a battle.

Thanks for that write-up. I'm slowly expanding from Skavenblight, and I'm sending out engineers to just go establish undercities in the big towns. So with Ikit you literally have no actual melee units, you just wipe armies with full artillery?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thanks for that write-up. I'm slowly expanding from Skavenblight, and I'm sending out engineers to just go establish undercities in the big towns. So with Ikit you literally have no actual melee units, you just wipe armies with full artillery?

Later game Ikit yeah definitely. Before then I like using doomflayers to act as my melee line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Started a gelt game because people seem really into him for some reason. He's actually super fun, wish he had a fancier flying mount but whatever. The vampires started going hard early, so i decided to jump on them before the got going. Turn 37 and all the undead are gone, guess i'm going to wait and see if the greentide gets nutty.