Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

how is it that low?? taco bell and dairy queen start at $12. i make $12.50/hr in a job that is only medium-hell

I dunno that's the average for a front-line HEB worker according to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
We’ve had a close call with Covid as of yesterday evening. A worker was at a family gathering and near someone with a positive test. We’re awaiting his test results now. Fortunately, our contractor has agreed to pay for 2 weeks quarantine time per our new and improved Covid CBA.

Y’all know the hosed up thing about it though, everyone who came into contact with the worker is allowed to stay on site, at least until the results come in. Why not pay everyone who could’ve been in the line of fire to take time off to get tested and await their results?

Guidelines as far as they concern those of us in construction are kind of hosed up. We answer a questionnaire daily using an honor code, but that hasn’t eliminated someone bullshiting it, getting on site, then being told by management to go home because they appear sick. There’s no signs that job sites in Austin will be shuttered. Any job that was previously deemed “non-essential,” like whatever condos or office space is being built downtown have all lobbied the city and paid the right person to sign off on them as “essential.” Previously, “essential” sites included anything to do with UT, schools, utilities, hell even the soccer stadium got a pass.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno that's the average for a front-line HEB worker according to Google.

Their actual job postings are significantly higher than the random number Google told you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fray posted:

Their actual job postings are significantly higher than the random number Google told you.

All capital is theft from the excess value of workers' labor.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Cool.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sir Thats Gross posted:

We’ve had a close call with Covid as of yesterday evening. A worker was at a family gathering and near someone with a positive test. We’re awaiting his test results now. Fortunately, our contractor has agreed to pay for 2 weeks quarantine time per our new and improved Covid CBA.

Y’all know the hosed up thing about it though, everyone who came into contact with the worker is allowed to stay on site, at least until the results come in. Why not pay everyone who could’ve been in the line of fire to take time off to get tested and await their results?

Guidelines as far as they concern those of us in construction are kind of hosed up. We answer a questionnaire daily using an honor code, but that hasn’t eliminated someone bullshiting it, getting on site, then being told by management to go home because they appear sick. There’s no signs that job sites in Austin will be shuttered. Any job that was previously deemed “non-essential,” like whatever condos or office space is being built downtown have all lobbied the city and paid the right person to sign off on them as “essential.” Previously, “essential” sites included anything to do with UT, schools, utilities, hell even the soccer stadium got a pass.

Abbott overrode the city and made all construction "essential". Austin can't close any job sites.

There were also reports a while ago that the city was getting very little uptake when they'd show up at construction sites offering free testing. People knew a positive result would put them out of work.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tlangford/status/1275400696351928320

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I appreciate the OpenTable metric of being an actual indicator of fear on the virus among what i assume is more affluent segments of society, and it's bad folks.

https://twitter.com/ModeledBehavior/status/1275448148664541185

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I look forward to hearing in a couple weeks about how closing orders don’t work because those darned libs in Harris county tried but houston is still so bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1275464115935272960

Goddamn it I wish Patrick was in cycle this year

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1275465425657176065

:yum:

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 23, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yup

https://reddit.com/r/HEB/comments/hdrfkk/first_day_with_bo_texas_pay/fvn04n3

Man I worked with corporate way back in the day and it's still a company and it's all bullshit fluff pieces

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Comrayn posted:

I look forward to hearing in a couple weeks about how closing orders don’t work because those darned libs in Harris county tried but houston is still so bad.

If you believe in yourself, you can find people saying that right now

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Abbott overrode the city and made all construction "essential". Austin can't close any job sites.

There were also reports a while ago that the city was getting very little uptake when they'd show up at construction sites offering free testing. People knew a positive result would put them out of work.

I didn’t realize that was an Abbott doing. Back in March or maybe April, my job closed for about a week, then two days in to it decided to reopen.

I’ve never seen anything about free testing on the site I’m on. I think most contractors pay lip service until they’re actually faced with a legitimate issue and even that is usually suppressed quickly and quietly.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Over here in Dallas, construction never stopped. Job sites shut down for about 1-2 weeks if they find a positive case among the workers, but that's about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Tessa_Weinberg/status/1275476668656660482

WElp

Also lucky if we see these numbers by 5 pm, they apparently have them much earlier than that

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

I don't know if cancelling mask and distancing requirements until forced to do so owns.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1275478593221521409?s=20

:rip:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wolff and the other judges should coordinate and give prosecuting individuals a shot. Word spreads the counties are hammering down on individuals themselves gets folks to either start staying home or whipped into shape. Months/years through the courts anyways.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I lost respect for HEB when the Central Market locations in Dallas dropped their customer mask requirement the exact minute Abbott overruled them last month. They were just waiting for the moment they could allow Spreaders into their stores to make more money.

Just like basically every grocery chain that isn't Costco, HEB are a bunch of greedy fucks who value sales over the health of their staff.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Tessa_Weinberg/status/1275476668656660482

WElp

Also lucky if we see these numbers by 5 pm, they apparently have them much earlier than that

They probably wait until they have entered in all the other data like hospitalization per county, then push it as one update to the dashboard.

I kind of prefer the batch approach over the piecemeal thing that other states are doing. All the bad news at once is easier on my stress levels than watching a number slowly tick up to doom all day long.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ReindeerF posted:

The easiest way to explain the coastal-facing Southeast Houston suburbs is when you get a job at the plant, you move to Pasadena. After a few years you move to Deer Park. Then, a few years later, you move to League City or Dickinson. If you make management, you move to somewhere in the Clear Lake area, or possibly Kemah / Seabrook.

On the other hand, if you got a degree in engineering from the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas or what have you, started at the plant in management and got promoted higher still, you move to a place like Bay Oaks, pretend you're in the equivalent of River Oaks and say things like, as was said at a wedding I was privy to, about a young man with an impeccable education who had just finished medical school and who was marrying the daughter of a Bay Oaks family who was a nurse at the hospital the groom trained at, "When [MALE] first came around, of course we just didn't know what to think. After all, he wasn't from the community (i.e. Bay Oaks). Over time, though, he has proven himself to be worthy and we are proud to welcome him into the family." It's been a while, but that's pretty close to what was said. Side note - they divorced a few years later when he came home and found her banging the contractor who was upgrading the kitchen or something like that. You can take the person out of Clear Lake, but you can't take the Clear Lake out of the person.

As I have stated to people who know the area and always get a laugh out of the accuracy, the difference between Deer Park and Clear Lake is the size of the lawn crew you can afford and your title at the plant. Obviously a total exaggeration, but kernels of truth in there. So, you get Bay Oaks as my favorite example, but there are many.

EDIT: Once your kids are at SMU or TCU or whatever, you move to Bayou Vista and drive around in golf carts sundowning while acting like you've bought into Marco Island or Coronado Island or suchlike.

Now do Sugarland.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Nice of him to give us a thrilling tease at the numbers instead of the actual number, "more than 5,000" is delightfully open-ended!

I think/hope he's realizing that he now has to drastically ramp up the performative hand-wringing in order to prepare people for new restrictions in the coming week or two. The only alternative is to start suppressing the numbers outright, aka the Florida approach, but I don't think Abbott is quite as dumb as DeSantis and understands that would only delay and worsen the inevitable. I think.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Now do Sugarland.

Weird to call out the most diverse part of Texas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1275488880326836225

Oh? If only there was a singular person who had the authority to enact such restrictions, do you know anyone like that Governor?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1275488880326836225

Oh? If only there was a singular person who had the authority to enact such restrictions, do you know anyone like that Governor?

Well, I'd love to Greg, but you decided the gym I work at absolutely needed to open, so if I do that I wont be able to afford child support and will lose my son.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Weird to call out the most diverse part of Texas

Buddy you missed the whole discussion that led to it regarding diversity in suburbs.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Anyone want to start setting odds on Texas being back on stay-at-home orders in two weeks? My wife's (unpaid) maternity leave is almost over and I'm reeeeeeeeaaaalllly not looking forward to being forced to put two young kids back into daycare right after the 4th of July.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

Anyone want to start setting odds on Texas being back on stay-at-home orders in two weeks? My wife's (unpaid) maternity leave is almost over and I'm reeeeeeeeaaaalllly not looking forward to being forced to put two young kids back into daycare right after the 4th of July.

It's fine, the case increases from 4th of july won't *really* get dangerous until mid-july. :smithicide:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Blotto_Otter posted:

we wont. they cant back down.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
It will be up to each individual family member to determine whether or not it is in their best interest to stay home even though they will be homeless soon after. Because personal freedom.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poemdexter posted:

It will be up to each individual family member to determine whether or not it is in their best interest to stay home even though they will be homeless soon after. Because personal freedom.

This and they can't afford/ don't want to keep paying out unemployment. If there's a stay at home order, people have "an excuse" to not work. If they choose to not work, whelp, not our problem, no check for you.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Maybe I'm naively optimistic, but I think there is a point at which Texas would go back to stay-at-home orders - and I think the nature of exponential growth curves means we could get there faster than anyone expects. Tea party politics, hatred of unemployment benefits, chamber of commerce types hyperventilating about the economy... yes, that all makes it hard to imagine reaching that point again, but a whole lot of "I just wish Trump would get off Twitter"-type Republicans are gonna lose their appetite for the current death-cult politics once someone they know winds up in one of the refrigerator trailers parked out back of a hospital to hold overflow from the morgue.

Abbott's got an instinct for self-preservation, and I think he realizes that the winds will start shifting as the body count starts rising. I think there is a political tipping point that we'll reach, I just have no idea exactly how many bodies will have to pile up outside of Texas hospitals before we get there.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Blotto_Otter posted:

Abbott's got an instinct for self-preservation, and I think he realizes that the winds will start shifting as the body count starts rising.

I bolded the important part. Once the optics of hospitalizations get too bad, look for the goalposts to shift to deaths. We seem to be doing better at keeping people alive, and that will allow Abbott to continue the fiction of normalcy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dan Patrick already moved the goal posts back to "theyre dying for the economy, the most noble of deaths" so no that isnt going to shake them

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

smoobles posted:

I lost respect for HEB when the Central Market locations in Dallas dropped their customer mask requirement the exact minute Abbott overruled them last month. They were just waiting for the moment they could allow Spreaders into their stores to make more money.

Just like basically every grocery chain that isn't Costco, HEB are a bunch of greedy fucks who value sales over the health of their staff.

One of my friends works at HEB, and she expressed how hard it is to enforce the mask requirements. It's left on employees at the door to enforce, and at some point the level of aggression and threats from customers becomes too much of a safety risk. Abbott already declared you can't fine individuals for not wearing a mask, so at most you could just call police for trespassing.

I want mask requirements in indoor locations, but I think the problem is figuring out how to safely enforce it when a lot of folks who aren't already wearing masks are entitled and impulsive as poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

We started splitting a nanny with our neighbor - it ends up around the same cost as daycare, and the circle of possible infections is much smaller - consider the nanny share.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I would rather have Governor William J Lepetomane running through show in Austin at this point.

Edit: here is a bar that I live close to that had their liquor license suspended for not following COVID rules.

https://www.facebook.com/1380078932057522/posts/3223031877762209/?d=n

b0ng fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2020

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

We started splitting a nanny with our neighbor - it ends up around the same cost as daycare, and the circle of possible infections is much smaller - consider the nanny share.

I might have to look into that. Did y'all use any online resources to find a nanny, or were you able to find one through family and friend connections?

Also, we came thiiiis close to today's number being closer to 6k than 5k:
https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1275533555536408578
e: Positivity rate up again too:
https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1275534435027386368
e 2: Buried headline is hospitalizations up 10.3% in a day, 7-day rolling average now 7.2% which implies hospitalizations doubling in less than 10 days.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

saintonan posted:

I bolded the important part. Once the optics of hospitalizations get too bad, look for the goalposts to shift to deaths. We seem to be doing better at keeping people alive, and that will allow Abbott to continue the fiction of normalcy.

Can't keep people alive if there aren't any beds!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AliyyaSwaby/status/1275543979833151493

Remember what I said last week about any plans you make for September would be ripped up by July? Looks like I really underestimated it.

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1275543689578926081

We're going to have a Year Without High School Football in Texas