Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

shrike82 posted:

They're going to kill it with iGPUs on their laptops given how lovely current solutions are.

Do people actually use laptop GPUs for anything other than games, which mac already doesn't have, and is going to have even less of in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do people actually use laptop GPUs for anything other than games, which mac already doesn't have, and is going to have even less of in the future?

CG artists and scientists use them with mobile workstation laptops, not for terribly heavy work- you still need beefier desktops and server farms- but for smaller tasks that can be worked on while traveling.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Control on my current non-RTX GPU can't even run the normal reflection effects without glitches, but looks rad even with them turned off. I'd love to see it on RTX hardware.

Control almost seems like it was designed specifically to show off the various ray tracing effects.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What’s the best iGPU for script writing?

Whoops wrong thread

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 24, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pyrotek posted:

Control almost seems like it was designed specifically to show off the various ray tracing effects.

The art direction definitely had fancy reflections in mind, even on consoles they have unusually good reflections. Their SSR fallback is some kind of rough approximate raytrace (voxel cone tracing?) that aligns correctly with the scene unlike the usual janky cubemaps.

Swapping that technique out for accurate and dynamic RT reflections is just the icing on the cake.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TOOT BOOT posted:

img timeline?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

being able to offload video/photo/audio processing to an apple igpu would be big

for ML, they've been pushing their own API/custom silicon for inferencing on their mobile devices. being able to develop natively on their PC hardware would be big too

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does Apple have their own GPUs yet? I thought they were still grappling with having Imagination bought out from underneath them by the Chinese government?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does Apple have their own GPUs yet? I thought they were still grappling with having Imagination bought out from underneath them by the Chinese government?

The 'bionic' chips that started in the 8/X have their own GPU. Their first one was allegedly a 30% improvement over the last PowerVR they used.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Apple's "in house" GPUs were so obviously "influenced" by Imagination's patents that they have decided to license basically everything Imagination offers on a gigantic, multi year deal instead of lose that court case. So Apple basically has access to the full PowerVR designs (including AR and ray tracing tech) and their own stuff too.

(the first part of that answer is speculative of course, the rest regarding the license is confirmed and PR announced)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So for someone who has gotten lazy over the past 16 years and relies on SA for 99% of their tech related news/info... what other sites/forums you guys like?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Enos Cabell posted:

So for someone who has gotten lazy over the past 16 years and relies on SA for 99% of their tech related news/info... what other sites/forums you guys like?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/ is my main one lately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

comedy answer: AdoredTV

serious answer: Gamers Nexus is probably the best one I've found that doesn't fall to cheap rumors and clickbait

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They also have a Discord with both free and Patreon-locked channels.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm staying put :colbert:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nofemaleonblowe.ru

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21301617/nvidia-windows-10-gpu-scheduling-driver-support-directx-12-ultimate

Anyone know anything about this gpu scheduling stuff?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dunno but if it had any immediate benefit to performance then Nvidia would have posted charts showing the gain, which they didn't

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

maybe theyll use less power

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

repiv posted:

Dunno but if it had any immediate benefit to performance then Nvidia would have posted charts showing the gain, which they didn't

Yeah it is pretty weird that a feature would release in this manner and even the people reporting it are like "I dunno try it or don't, we don't know, who cares"

You would think there would be some kind of even minor fanfare if it mattered. Although perhaps maybe this will come into play due to some architectural change in Ampere (just spitballing obviously). I mean someone clearly thought it helped in some way. Could just be scaffolding for the future.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Taima posted:

Anyone know anything about this gpu scheduling stuff?
It'll BSOD your system every other time the GPU driver crashes and could have had recover successfully, if you weren't using hardware scheduling.

It definitely does something differently, because at least the 450.12 driver from NVidia got stuttery with it enabled, while trying to play 7K videos in VR, that work fine with software scheduling.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is why consoles are superior to general purpose desktops for any kind of intensive real time applications like games! :smuggo:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Whether it makes any difference is going to depend on the game and how heavily loaded the GPU is. If the developers code was handling GPU memory well enough, nothing's going to get better. Where you might see some improvement is in minimum framerates.
The new WDDM is resolving some of those multi monitor / differing refresh rates bugs that've been hanging around for ages.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Riflen posted:

The new WDDM is resolving some of those multi monitor / differing refresh rates bugs that've been hanging around for ages.

I'll believe that when I see it. They've called those issues "fixed" a half dozen times or so, and they've failed to actually fix them every time so far.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This sounds like something we would have loved when trying to get timewarp scheduled promptly in the drivers leading up to the first Rift release, if I understand the article correctly.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

I'll believe that when I see it. They've called those issues "fixed" a half dozen times or so, and they've failed to actually fix them every time so far.

I'm seeing less flicker since updating to the latest W10x2004 driver! I don't know if that's because I hosed something up trying to get non-temporal AA looking okay in Apex Legends or what, but it's welcome.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A lot of people elsewhere saying it improved frame pacing, guessing it's that gpu scheduling thingimajig?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-ray-tracing-dlss-geforce-now-screenshots-trailer/

RTX features in CP2077: raytraced global illumination/occlusion, raytraced reflections, raytraced shadows and DLSS 2.0, all available at launch

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-ray-tracing-dlss-geforce-now-screenshots-trailer/

RTX features in CP2077: raytraced global illumination/occlusion, raytraced reflections, raytraced shadows and DLSS 2.0, all available at launch

So this will be the first game that utilizes and enables both RTX GI and Reflections.
Nice.
IIRC, games usually only had RT GI like Metro Exodus or RT Reflections like Battlefield.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Didn't control have both? Honestly the whole thing is somewhat confusing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

repiv posted:

Gosh it's packed full of features that you'd expect to need a next-gen card to play, who would have thought!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Dogen posted:

You are right, I completely forgot this 👍

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dogen posted:

Yeah Control has RTGI (the "indirect diffuse lighting" setting) but the improvement is relatively subtle compared to RT reflections, most of the environmental lighting is static so the default fake baked GI is decent enough.

https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...-on-vs-off.html

The ambient occlusion you get from RTGI is better than the default SSAO but there's not much bounce lighting you didn't already get from the bake.

It'll probably be more dramatic in Cyberpunk where the day/night cycle limits how much they can bake, much like Metros RTGI.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’ll be an interesting game to compare the next gen consoles and 3000 series with with

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

repiv posted:

that's cool and all but where is hairworks being in and giving realistic pube physics

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ppl gonna start shaving their avatars to get more fps

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alchenar posted:

Gosh it's packed full of features that you'd expect to need a next-gen card to play, who would have thought!

All those features are available on current gen GPUs though?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

Looks very cool!

Why do you need ray-traced ambient occlusion though? The write up says (bold is mine):

quote:

Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion - Ambient occlusion is a shading and rendering technique used to calculate how exposed each point in a scene is to ambient lighting, which results in the rendering of new AO shadows that ground objects and naturally darken surfaces, objects, and other game elements. In Cyberpunk 2077, ray-traced ambient occlusion can be used with local lights to approximate local shadowing effects where shadows are missing, greatly improving the quality of the ambient occlusion effect.

What missing shadows? Is this compensating for an optimization that drops rays?

E: As in AO is a hack to simulate accurate ambient lighting. RTX gives us accurate ambient lighting and GI and all that good stuff. So why do we need ray-tracing assisted AO?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It sounds like their RTGI rays are only sampling the skybox and emissive materials, not evaluating local lights, so you won't get any bounces from those. Probably a concession for performance.

They must still be using the baked GI data for the local lights and relying on SSAO/RTAO to fudge the indirect shadows.

I believe that's how Metros implementation worked as well - RTGI for the sun and RTAO for everything else.

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the explanation.

I was and am kinda hoping that a 3080ti with DLSS 2.71828 cranked up can render an image based on the laws of physics, circa whenever we figured out basic reflection and refraction (say, Newton?), without too many baked in assists. Sounds like we're still a long way away from doing that at, say, 3440x1440@60Hz.