Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

If they first came out with big trucks today, they'd probably be required to have a chase vehicle at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

This was a great recommendation from that first link:

https://youtu.be/QIkodlp8HMM

I’ve been doing this wrong my whole life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sex Skeleton posted:

When I went to driving school, they taught us to set our mirrors up like this, and then the instructor got out of the car and walked up from behind so we could see that someone is always in one of the mirrors or in the side window. It feels weird to trust that no one is in the blind spot, but you have to remember all the cars you saw drive past you and they never went into a blind spot. I don't know how people can drive with all three mirrors pointed straight back. Why do you need the same information three times?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

When I went to driving school, they taught us to set our mirrors up like this, and then the instructor got out of the car and walked up from behind so we could see that someone is always in one of the mirrors or in the side window. It feels weird to trust that no one is in the blind spot, but you have to remember all the cars you saw drive past you and they never went into a blind spot. I don't know how people can drive with all three mirrors pointed straight back. Why do you need the same information three times?

I hate driving other people's cars specifically for this reason.

You do have to be a little bit more careful when near motorcyclists that are lane splitting as sometimes they're skinny enough to fit into that gap if you've messed up the overlap, but realistically they're probably shooting past you anyway.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Buff Hardback posted:

I hate driving other people's cars specifically for this reason.

You do have to be a little bit more careful when near motorcyclists that are lane splitting as sometimes they're skinny enough to fit into that gap if you've messed up the overlap, but realistically they're probably shooting past you anyway.

I love driving other people's cars, setting all the poo poo up is my fav. part, get to use all the switches and levers, also I never put it back, so they get to experience that too, but they probably shouldn't because their mirror placement was wack as hell and unsafe.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from the US riots:
https://twitter.com/jonahweiner/status/1272523443825598465

also

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Modern mirrors are usually big enough they don't need angled too far out anyway so you can get the best of both worlds of blind spot plus seeing straight shot back on your left. Balances out with the pillars getting gigantic because your field of view on rearviews is starting to really suck.

Getting a big field of view of back and to the left without taking your eyes off the road is huge if you do mental mapping so you need that between the two with most modern pillars.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You should still turn your head, never trust just your mirrors before changing lanes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

You should still turn your head, never trust just your mirrors before changing lanes.

I've been saved so many times by this. There's about 3 instances in the last few decades I let myself get lazy and started drifting into the next lane but checked the mirror slightly after I moved and saw a car suddenly and quit merging. Even with great mirror placement, pocket dimensions open up and cars materialize next to you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can set mirrors up to trust them but you should really have a convex blind spot mirror to be sure. My old Mustang didn't really have the sight lines to shoulder check the driver side but it came stock with a convex blind spot mirror. Took a while to trust it to not have a heart attack when changing lanes in busy traffic but it had perfect enough vision.

Incidentally that's when I did the most work on mental mapping. Finding a car in a final shoulder check is a heart stopping once in a 3 year occurence now because the sort of drivers that will suddenly appear in your blind spot are seen and catalogued in my head as "hell driver stay away" before they get a chance to surprise you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My main issue is when I'm on a 3 or more lane highway and I'm wanting to change into a lane to the right but there's a car in the next lane over and, as I move over, my brain tricks me into thinking the other car is also moving into the lane I'm changing into.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

My main issue is when I'm on a 3 or more lane highway and I'm wanting to change into a lane to the right but there's a car in the next lane over and, as I move over, my brain tricks me into thinking the other car is also moving into the lane I'm changing into.

I always assume the are, it's better not to change lanes into someones blindspot. You gotta be loving tactical out there. I assume people are going to make x, y and z mistakes before they even know they're going to. It's saved my rear end many times just imagining what's the stupidest thing this person could do right now and assume it's going to happen.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nenonen posted:

This is such a thorough, important truth that it bears repeating.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ySrmCiQ.mp4

Right....into....the....OSHAzone!

https://i.imgur.com/6U2Cc2v.gifv
https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/05/16/watch-live-f-16-crashes-in-riverside-county/

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 23, 2020

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nenonen posted:

disagree, set your mirrors correctly and keep your eyes on the road ahead as much as possible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

They do with point sources, though, which is why you can see stars with binoculars that are too dim to perceive with the unaided eye; the star's still a point source when viewed through binoculars but your eye is receiving more light from it.

Point sources do get brighter, but that’s not the only reason dim stars become visible. It’s just as useful to dim the background.

7×50 and 15×50 binoculars, having the same aperture, show stars at the same brightness, but the latter’s magnification dims the skyglow, increasing contrast and letting you see stars almost a magnitude fainter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup iOS and lol gently caress that.

It’s not that bad. Download VLC, click the link and tell iOS to use VLC. No cutting and pasting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/uy88Luo.mp4

Wet charge at a Russian steel smelter.

In this case whoever smelt it definitely dealt it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Memento posted:

Based on the name, I'm guessing that's like throwing water into a grease fire, but way angrier?

Holy poo poo, it just keeps going. :aaaaa:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Memento posted:

Big fan of evac stairs that require you to run AT the thing spewing molten metal in order to get away from it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Based on the name, I'm guessing that's like throwing water into a grease fire, but way angrier?

Holy poo poo, it just keeps going. :aaaaa:

When the water hits the molten metal, the water is immediately flash boiled into a steam explosion, which results in the droplets you see flying everywhere.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Big fan of evac stairs that require you to run AT the thing spewing molten metal in order to get away from it.

:ussr:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm the guy sidestepping away

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sex Skeleton posted:

I don’t know if maybe I’m still just doing it wrong but I’ve tried this a few times in different cars and I think it just doesn’t apply as well in compact or at least subcompact cars. The size of the rear window and frame posts just don’t allow the rear view mirror to see a wide enough view out of the back to not use your side mirrors for part of that view as well.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t know if maybe I’m still just doing it wrong but I’ve tried this a few times in different cars and I think it just doesn’t apply as well in compact or at least subcompact cars. The size of the rear window and frame posts just don’t allow the rear view mirror to see a wide enough view out of the back to not use your side mirrors for part of that view as well.

Oh yeah I drive a midsize truck from 2006 so it works a lot better for me. I’m looking forward to 2025 when the C pillars and the A pillars merge completely.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

New CSB video! :supaburn: But it is just a warning about industry planning for flooding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKaXDUUWYaQ

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kibayasu posted:

I spend the $5 and stick those tiny parabolic mirrors in the corners.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qboxanMhcF1yc5ygx.mp4

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

What did I even just watch? Was he mad she wasn't social distancing? Was that water? Wtf

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The best way to fight coronavirus is to spray disinfectant into people's faces/eyes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Smh if you don't go to malls that don't have Visine attendants.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PinheadSlim posted:

What did I even just watch? Was he mad she wasn't social distancing? Was that water? Wtf

He's trying to check her temperature, but mixed up which hand had the thermometer and which hand had the spray bottle.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

I just watched this with my wife. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, his eyes were tracking the kids hands, and he was supposed to spray that on the hands and his brain was just somewhere else so when the kid put his hand on his face he just sprayed that direction.

My wife is not giving said benefit.

Jabor posted:

He's trying to check her temperature, but mixed up which hand had the thermometer and which hand had the spray bottle.

actually this makes even more sense. Poor kiddo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

They're huddling together for warmth :3:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re banding together for protection against their natural predator, the USMC EA-6B Prowler.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I just watched this with my wife. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, his eyes were tracking the kids hands, and he was supposed to spray that on the hands and his brain was just somewhere else so when the kid put his hand on his face he just sprayed that direction.

My wife is not giving said benefit.

actually this makes even more sense. Poor kiddo.

I think it's both. He's got a spray bottle in his left hand and a thermometer in his right. He probably going to offer to spray her hands and then his brain crossfired and put the wrong hand up to scan her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's cool, cops make that mistake with their taser and gun all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It's cool, cops make that mistake with their taser and gun all the time.

Like this one:
https://nypost.com/video/cop-mistakes-gun-for-taser-in-kansas-shooting/

Or that old guy volunteer deputy who thought his revolver was a taser.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

f/45 on large format isn't as much of a problem for diffraction as it would be on 35mm or smaller formats because the airy disk (which is the size of the largest point that can be considered sharp) is smaller relative to the negative size. Some large format lenses go as far as f/180.

large format shooters don't use that small of aperture, and tilt is used at wider apertures to control a more limited depth of field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Platystemon posted:

They’re banding together for protection against their natural predator, the USMC EA-6B Prowler.

:vince: