Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the process of beating rogue legacy with no deaths or basically none is akin to hitting yourself in the genitals with a hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Sorry, I just wanted to put my dream out into the world.

Invisible, Inc. as has been mentioned is probably the closest we have right now.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So many new posts, what awesome rogue like or lite has been released!?

Ohhhh....

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks. I’ll check out invisible inc. it was on my radar year’s ago but I forgot about it.

I was also looking at cogmind might look into that next.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

A Strange Aeon posted:

The Caves of Qud spinoff they recently kickstarted will take place in one of the True Kin arcologies, but given the setting, I'm pretty sure there won't be pink mohawks unless they're sentient ones with their own agenda.

The what, now?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What the hell was that game called:

sci fi top-down roguelikelitewhatever game all about hijacking procgen ships in hilariously overpowered ways. fuuuuuck this is driving me insane that i cannot bring the name to memory

anyway one of the factions is extremely neon cyberpunk, if that counts

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Heat Signature.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

teacup posted:

So many new posts, what awesome rogue like or lite has been released!?

Ohhhh....

I'd you want I'm sure you could listen about our nethacks team many, many awful splats!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it worth playing through the vanilla campaign for NWN2? Or is mask of the betrayer the only good one.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it worth playing through the vanilla campaign for NWN2? Or is mask of the betrayer the only good one.

I like the vanilla campaign but you’re totally good skipping it if you don’t want to tack on another 40 hours to your play time.

[e] oh cool one way heroics plus is on the switch now. That game was in a awkward position for me because the pc version looked terrible on my monitor and the remake was missing a lot of stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh whoops I thought I posted that in the RPG thread, not here. Sorry!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

you are essentially saying "I wish most roguelikes were not roguelikes"

hell,

i find many rls have way more interesting character building than most rpgs, and that's the thing i like about rpgs, but these days i just lose interest completely when it comes to the repetition necessary to 'get gud.' i put 400+ hours into qud and some much smaller unlisted number into Incursion RL back when i was into the genre all with permadeath but nowadays it's just not fun for me. I just wanna make consistent progress with what I'm playing and then be done forever. Thankfully a 'normal saving system' can be easily accomplished in a lot of games by hitting alt f4, but i haven't really bothered yet.

e; forgot to list the uhhhh, single character 8 direction gridbased turn based combat/exploration which is p much exclusive to roguelikes as a draw they have alongside the character building

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 24, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cinara posted:

Heat Signature.

THANK YOU that was driving me nuts. I never got far along on the starmap in that game; I think I'll give it another look

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seriously why aren't there any proper cyberpunk roguelikes? The type of people who play / develop roguelikes are also, in my experience, the type of people who really enjoy cyberpunk as a genre.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously why aren't there any proper cyberpunk roguelikes? The type of people who play / develop roguelikes are also, in my experience, the type of people who really enjoy cyberpunk as a genre.

if you build a cyberpunk game around the traditional roguelike structure you've basically made a game about shooting up an office building

anyways Decker exists: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Decker

but my impression of it after playing it briefly (years ago, admittedly) was that it kind of sucked :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's also Jydge and Neon Chrome, two pretty interesting action roguelites from people that made Crimsonland.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Jack Trades posted:

There's also Jydge and Neon Chrome, two pretty interesting action roguelites from people that made Crimsonland.

And neon chrome is pretty much actually shooting up an office building as described two posts up. It’s a decent twin-stick roguelite, but it doesn’t feel all too cyber punk beyond the plot setup for it.

Black Future ‘88 describes itself as synth-punk, which at the very least is cyberpunk adjacent, if not outright overlapping.

Cypherpunk might be worth a try- it’s only a small 7DRL project that still has bugs though

https://timruswick.itch.io/cypherpunk

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 24, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

an endgame character in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has a head full of cyberware and a diamond-edged katana and spends most of their time breaking into top secret corporate labs to steal their secrets

it's just you're fighting zombies in rural New England instead of security forces in an arcology

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

The Caves of Qud spinoff they recently kickstarted will take place in one of the True Kin arcologies, but given the setting, I'm pretty sure there won't be pink mohawks unless they're sentient ones with their own agenda.

Could someone finally link something about this? Google isn't giving me anything.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ConfusedPig posted:

Could someone finally link something about this? Google isn't giving me anything.

he trolled us all friend, live and drink

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

he trolled us all friend, live and drink

:negative:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawman 0 posted:

I'd you want I'm sure you could listen about our nethacks team many, many awful splats!
Was doing a 3.4.3 run, going well, a lot of fortuitous pickups, already had like 3/4 of the ascension kit done before the Castle. Ran into I think it was a chameleon that had turned into some kind of lich, who then summoned nasties, so suddenly, a couple levels above the Castle I'm surrounded by like a half dozen dragons. Splat.

Okay, start another character, going well, heading down to the Castle, and hey there's the bones file I just left. Okay, cool, slowly and methodically murder all the dragons, get the sweet loot from the grave, I'm burdened, no biggie, just head up to my stash like two levels above...oops, a gremlin hits me and swipes some intrinsic. Kill him, might as well eat the corpse to maybe get the intrinsic back. Choke to death, dywypi.

Then I sit down look up my old 3.4.x NAO statuscolor config so I get colour-coded warnings for hp and fullness and poo poo and boom next char ascended.

Moral of the story, the only reason I survive more than ten turns in any game of nethack is because of statuscolours, apparently.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

an endgame character in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has a head full of cyberware and a diamond-edged katana and spends most of their time breaking into top secret corporate labs to steal their secrets

it's just you're fighting zombies in rural New England instead of security forces in an arcology

I had forgotten about C:DDA but yea, it doesn’t have the flavor of cyberpunk but it does have a lot of the other components. It is the only game I can think of where coked our bears are a real concern besides Shadowrun.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So I'm looking for a game that will give me the same feeling as when I played through Ultima 1 when I was 9. A huge overworld, smaller self-contained dungeons that seem to go down forever. A relatively simple gameplay loop. c64=esque graphics.
I'd hoped Caves of Qud was that, but it's not, but I don't feel bad about having bought it because it's obvious that the developers are working hard and creating something they love.
What other big open world roguelikes are there that wouldn't take me 100 hours of watching YT tutorials to learn?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what did you not like about Caves of Qud because from your post I can't tell at all what the problem was

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I think my core issue is the learning curve (wall). I can't invest the time to learn 'systems' right now, which leaves out, like, Paradox Interactive-type strategy games, or a lot of games wherein the "game" part is locked behind "things you should already know"/"things you'll have to read a 300 page manual and/or watch videos about" rather than "things the game will teach you", (because it won't). In other words, some games feel like they expect you to bring expertise to them, and some feel like they want to MAKE you an expert. Does that make sense? I am having fun with Dungeonmans, and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

edit: sub-question, are there any good first-person isometric 3D roguelikes (a la Dungeon Hack)?

Quad fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 24, 2020

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Quad posted:

I think my core issue is the learning curve (wall). I can't invest the time to learn 'systems' right now, which leaves out, like, Paradox Interactive-type strategy games, or a lot of games wherein the "game" part is locked behind "things you should already know"/"things you'll have to read a 300 page manual and/or watch videos about" rather than "things the game will teach you", (because it won't). In other words, some games feel like they expect you to bring expertise to them, and some feel like they want to MAKE you an expert. Does that make sense? I am having fun with Dungeonmans, and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

edit: sub-question, are there any good first-person isometric 3D roguelikes (a la Dungeon Hack)?

I will say that in the Caves of Qud thread, within the last couple pages, there has been a very new player friendly build posted alongside tips to level that build. I really recommend trying that build out a couple times and see if that helps you out. Qud seems overwhelming at first but the learning curve, while sharp, isn’t actually very long. Once you have a character or two make it just a little bit further into the game things start to come together a lot faster.

Edit: In case that doesn’t make sense, I’m saying Qud only feels like the first thing for awhile. The help section has a “things you should know now” page, that coupled with the character build and starting advice, might make the difference without eating up a ton of your time. It really is both a labor of love and pretty close to what you asked for outside of the initial curve.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 24, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

THANK YOU that was driving me nuts. I never got far along on the starmap in that game; I think I'll give it another look
Heat Signature is great, I’d recommend purposefully trying a bunch of very different approaches to missions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can confirm, Heat Signature is amazing.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hi thread,

You may not have spotted it but Lowtax once again beat a woman and there's an above zero chance the forums are going to go away as a result.

I wanted to know if there's a cool discord for us Roguegoons. If not that's not a huge problem but I would like to say I enjoyed this thread very much and it was cool posting with you all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's a general-purpose roguelike discord which I don't think is SA-affiliated, but I've seen handles I recognize from this thread in there before: https://discord.gg/2h4Ny3C

Caves of Qud discord: https://discord.gg/8UYSV6k

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ConfusedPig posted:

Diablo and diablo-likes don't have interesting in-the-moment problem solving of most roguelikes, it's about Number Go Up and just clicking things until they're dead. Whatever actual interesting decision making there is, it's in the meta character-building level, the actual combat is barely ok at best (and even that is rare). Which is why it's always weird to me how diablo-likes like to advertise a permadeath option as a feature since since it really isn't a good fit with that style of game, since you spend a lot more time with a single character than in in a decently well paced roguelike, and the boring early-game problem is even worse there.

The first Diablo had some of this, though admittedly less than a turn based game. They had to reduce the tactical difficulty because otherwise it would be like playing superhot that doesn't slow down (also to make the game marketable; the general audience usually has a low pain tolerance). Diablo 2 and 3 removed the grid, and a lot of the positioning stuff left with it; they're much less similar to rogue.

Switch is the best Vita.

Quad posted:

So I'm looking for a game that will give me the same feeling as when I played through Ultima 1 when I was 9. A huge overworld, smaller self-contained dungeons that seem to go down forever. A relatively simple gameplay loop. c64=esque graphics.
I'd hoped Caves of Qud was that, but it's not, but I don't feel bad about having bought it because it's obvious that the developers are working hard and creating something they love.
What other big open world roguelikes are there that wouldn't take me 100 hours of watching YT tutorials to learn?

You can't have what you want. No game will give you the sense of wonder you had when you were 9. Sorry about that.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I want to say there was some info when Rogue Legacy 2 was first announced that indicated towards them taking a look at the grind of the first game with fresh eyes and the benefit of time to improve upon the lot of it---so keep hope alive.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I watched the trailer for Rogue Legacy 2 and if someone said it was the trailer for Rogue Legacy 1, I would have believed them.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I want to say there was some info when Rogue Legacy 2 was first announced that indicated towards them taking a look at the grind of the first game with fresh eyes and the benefit of time to improve upon the lot of it---so keep hope alive.

I could see them implementing different game modes that adjust how much impact the meta-progession has on each individual run. Balancing it wouldn't be easy, but it would probably be the best solution to satisfy both fans of the first game and the roguelike/lite players who expect a more traditional structure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why would they try to satisfy people who have poo poo on RL for six years straight? Nethack players are clearly not the demo that made the game sell.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SubG posted:

Was doing a 3.4.3 run, going well, a lot of fortuitous pickups, already had like 3/4 of the ascension kit done before the Castle. Ran into I think it was a chameleon that had turned into some kind of lich, who then summoned nasties, so suddenly, a couple levels above the Castle I'm surrounded by like a half dozen dragons. Splat.

Okay, start another character, going well, heading down to the Castle, and hey there's the bones file I just left. Okay, cool, slowly and methodically murder all the dragons, get the sweet loot from the grave, I'm burdened, no biggie, just head up to my stash like two levels above...oops, a gremlin hits me and swipes some intrinsic. Kill him, might as well eat the corpse to maybe get the intrinsic back. Choke to death, dywypi.

Then I sit down look up my old 3.4.x NAO statuscolor config so I get colour-coded warnings for hp and fullness and poo poo and boom next char ascended.

Moral of the story, the only reason I survive more than ten turns in any game of nethack is because of statuscolours, apparently.

I choked to death on a newt, fat fingered into lava and then ragequit by accidentally changing alignment before the quest!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tote up a bags posted:

Hi thread,

You may not have spotted it but Lowtax once again beat a woman and there's an above zero chance the forums are going to go away as a result.

I wanted to know if there's a cool discord for us Roguegoons. If not that's not a huge problem but I would like to say I enjoyed this thread very much and it was cool posting with you all.
a lot of people are hopping over to https://breadnroses.net/ right now as a replacement. it doesn't actually cost money to reg right now

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

IronicDongz posted:

a lot of people are hopping over to https://breadnroses.net/ right now as a replacement. it doesn't actually cost money to reg right now

Asking me for a $10 donation to view forums. Womp womp.

Edit: VVV thanks!

Duderclese fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Duderclese posted:

Asking me for a $10 donation to view forums. Womp womp.

it says that but if you just reg and don't pay and then come back in like an hour you'll be magically in for free