Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

deleted, but i saw it. lol i hope the mo republican party spends a shitload of money on this race only to get demolished by lacy clay

it won't happen but i can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gone but but before I posted it on Discord.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so are there any odds the good people win their races today in NY and KY or has covid pretty much wiped out progressive gotv efforts that can damage incumbent advantages?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gone but but before I posted it on Discord.

sooo the cops murdered someone, but it wasn't George Floyd, so it's okay?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/malarkeyfree/status/1275556778999189506

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anywhere else where this is occuring?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The booker campaign was seeking an injuction until 9PM because of traffic.

The county clerk wanted a strict interpretation of in line by 6.

Judge took a middle ground and said 6:30 and that anyone in the parking lot was considered in line.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 23, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sexpig by night posted:

so are there any odds the good people win their races today in NY and KY or has covid pretty much wiped out progressive gotv efforts that can damage incumbent advantages?

I've been skeptical of the numbers on Booker since his internal was released a weekish ago. Based solely on those dynamics and what followed, I'm guessing he'll come up just short (4-8 pts)... but that's better than I'd have guessed two months ago. Hope I'm wrong.

Pessimism continues as I fear a failure to unite will hand Diaz the 15th, but I'm still not convinced he wins in November against a united opposition. I'm cautiously optimistic Engel gets bounced, and expect AOC to win with ease.

With that said, nobody knows how the gently caress things play out under COVID. I'll be F5ing all night though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Didn’t New York send everyone a mail in ballot anyway?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Paracaidas posted:

I've been skeptical of the numbers on Booker since his internal was released a weekish ago. Based solely on those dynamics and what followed, I'm guessing he'll come up just short (4-8 pts)... but that's better than I'd have guessed two months ago. Hope I'm wrong.

Pessimism continues as I fear a failure to unite will hand Diaz the 15th, but I'm still not convinced he wins in November against a united opposition. I'm cautiously optimistic Engel gets bounced, and expect AOC to win with ease.

With that said, nobody knows how the gently caress things play out under COVID. I'll be F5ing all night though.

Also, if any of the races are close, dont expect them to get called any time soon. Both NY and Kentucky massively expanded absentee voting for this primary, so that will take a while to get counted and wont be in the normal 100% of precincts reporting totals

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Kentucky is scheduled to have its results released on the 30th. Highest turnout in state primary history beating 2008 by around 200k.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn’t New York send everyone a mail in ballot anyway?
My understanding is no, but that applications for absentee ballots WERE mailed to everyone? Full disclosure, not a New Yorker.

Also not clear to me that lowering the barriers to voting hurts the incumbent in situations like these. We'll see.

Or....
:f5: ALL NIGHT

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Kentucky is scheduled to have its results released on the 30th. Highest turnout in state primary history beating 2008 by around 200k.
:smith:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

My understanding is no, but that applications for absentee ballots WERE mailed to everyone? Full disclosure, not a New Yorker.

Also not clear to me that lowering the barriers to voting hurts the incumbent in situations like these. We'll see.

Or....
:f5: ALL NIGHT

:smith:

Like 600,000 mail-in ballots were posted at the last minute, today and yesterday so if the post office fucks around they could push the date back even more!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like 600,000 mail-in ballots were posted at the last minute, today and yesterday so if the post office fucks around they could push the date back even more!

Mailed by the state or the voters?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Mailed by the state or the voters?

Voters. Voters who had requested mail-in ballots but didn't receive them in time were told to vote either yesterday or today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Voters. Voters who had requested mail-in ballots but didn't receive them in time were told to vote either yesterday or today.

Ok, that sounds sane. The west coast always has it election results take a week to finalize because we have so much absentee voting and you can mail it in up to the day before the election (if you wait until election day, you drop em off at the poll)

Some early results

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275570878252802049

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah, I didn't actually get my absentee ballot until Friday. Pretty sure they're not allowed to count absentee ballots for another eight days so don't expect reliable New York results for at least a week.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275581468530610177
Please please please

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275585105826848775

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This would be a huge Progressive win at a time where progressives haven't been winning enough primaries, so I hope it happens.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://nyenr.elections.ny.gov/

Election results from NY as they come in

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh my god please

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275601063299756033

Honestly this is the one I'd be happiest to be wrong about.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:eyepop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275607721203707909

Edit: getting even closer

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275608259383250946

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 24, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

d-dare we hope?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the kentucky numbers don't really mean anything tonight because of all of the mail-in ballots, but still: lol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275601063299756033

Honestly this is the one I'd be happiest to be wrong about.

This is a weird one because Bernie, AOC, and someone else I'm forgetting all endorsed some other person who I guess is in fourth place

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there no New York thread? I see California, Texas, Illinois, PacNW, but no NY.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's one in CSPAM

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the NY12 primary wasn't really on anyone's radar, but the progressive challenger Suraj Patel is behind longtime establishment dem Carolyn Maloney by only a few hundred votes

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

the NY12 primary wasn't really on anyone's radar, but the progressive challenger Suraj Patel is behind longtime establishment dem Carolyn Maloney by only a few hundred votes

IIRC he's honestly kind of lovely and basically ran a poll on "should I run to her left or to her right" but it's still a good thing if Maloney gets taken down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welp so much for Kentucky.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Welp so much for Kentucky.

I really really hope Booker runs for mayor in '22. Louisville's never had a mayor who wasn't a lame centrist

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Dammit! Is Booker gonna fall just shy? There's still votes to be counted, right?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Dammit! Is Booker gonna fall just shy? There's still votes to be counted, right?

Yeah. He didn't have the margin he needed in Fayette county, theres no reason to think the rural counties which haven't reported votes will be different than the rural counties which have, and it turned out fears of Broiher and Booker splitting the left vote were right with Broiher getting just enough votes to deprive Booker of a victory.

To be a lame-o optimist this is a good loss for Booker. Neither him nor McGrath were going to beat Mitch realistically and hes gone from a no-name state legislator to having universal statewide name recognition and connections to a national fundraising network. Its a fairly good place for a young charismatic politician to be. Not as good as the senate but you know.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm assuming Warner doesn't have any progressive challenger(s)? With the leftward movement in VA, it would be great to be able to boot one of the senators out, cause they both mostly suck. I realize it may be too soon for that to happen though.

The bench aint mature enough to be able to mount a statewide challenge to a VA Senator. The Gen Assembly has a deeeeeep bench and we have some House Members that will likely try their hand at it once they get more experience and name recognition.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah. He didn't have the margin he needed in Fayette county, theres no reason to think the rural counties which haven't reported votes will be different than the rural counties which have, and it turned out fears of Broiher and Booker splitting the left vote were right with Broiher getting just enough votes to deprive Booker of a victory.

To be a lame-o optimist this is a good loss for Booker. Neither him nor McGrath were going to beat Mitch realistically and hes gone from a no-name state legislator to having universal statewide name recognition and connections to a national fundraising network. Its a fairly good place for a young charismatic politician to be. Not as good as the senate but you know.

We are going to see Booker again. Trust me. He aint going anywhere. This is a good loss for him like you said and he is quite popular in KY. Now more people know his name.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

We are going to see Booker again. Trust me. He aint going anywhere. This is a good loss for him like you said and he is quite popular in KY. Now more people know his name.

Yeah. Hes only 35 and you don't surge 40 points in one month without good political skills. The choice for him now is whether to run for mayor, or Senate again against Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm looking forward to the next election he runs in. Booker is one to watch for sure.