Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

Are you for real? The point is that the scars rape children. Lev isn't the only child this has happened to.
yes but what does being trans have to do with it. their only option out of it was to run either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

Krem is decent but I dislike how when he hints that he's trans your only dialogue options are three different flavors of 'duhhhh, what do you mean?'

no option to go 'oh, yeah, say no more' or 'yeah, i get it'

Yeah, that part sucks. I would've loved an option like that, or just being able to be like "Me too," like you can do with Dorian if you play a gay character, man or woman.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

JBP posted:

Are you for real? The point is that the scars rape children. Lev isn't the only child this has happened to.

You're the one that tied his being a trans man to the fact that he had no option but to run. That's what everyone was quoting you going "What are you talking about" for.

Peacoffee posted:

Lol I read this in a very American accent

Jim Sterling's video about it had a bunch of quotes from people praising Heavy Rain when it came out and I honestly think recency bias might be the most powerful force in the universe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Do you think if the character were a cis woman they would have had an option besides running?

Lev is the only one we meet. The children are brainwashed to do what they're told. His own mother was happy to do this. The other children that have been wedded to elders would have been taken to the wedding and that's that. I'm sure plenty have tried to run or tried to get out of it, but we know what happens when you disobey the rules. Lev is very lucky to have escaped and also to have found a friend that accepts him as is.

How does you brain go "this person thinks Lev was fortunate to get out and shaving his head due to being trans was the catalyst, therefore this person thinks raping cis women is fine"?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endorph posted:

yes but what does being trans have to do with it. their only option out of it was to run either way

There is a clear option to consign yourself to your fate or accept it is a role you must play for your people. Lev's identity and shaving his head caused the scars to target him so he ran from them. A child being wedded is probably not keenly aware of what that will mean versus adults trying to beat or kill them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

How does you brain go "this person thinks Lev was fortunate to get out and shaving his head due to being trans was the catalyst, therefore this person thinks raping cis women is fine"?
I never said you thought that? the first 'he' there is lev, not you. I was trying to figure out what you meant by that sentence. Your logic still makes no sense but I'm not accusing you of being a rapist or anything, chill.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

JBP posted:

Lev is the only one we meet. The children are brainwashed to do what they're told. His own mother was happy to do this. The other children that have been wedded to elders would have been taken to the wedding and that's that. I'm sure plenty have tried to run or tried to get out of it, but we know what happens when you disobey the rules. Lev is very lucky to have escaped and also to have found a friend that accepts him as is.

JBP posted:

I thought Lev's gender was completely secondary to the fact that he was going to be raped by an adult either way. If anything being trans saved him since he had no option but to run.

It's this, JBP. This sentence right here is weird and makes no sense and has the very casual corollary of "If he was a cis woman he would have had other options". And you still havent explained what you meant by it.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Regardless of the number who disagree, this game will have more people consider it among the best games ever released than anything else that comes out this year

It's June

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's this, JBP. This sentence right here is weird and makes no sense and has the very casual corollary of "If he was a cis woman he would have had other options". And you still havent explained what you meant by it.

The threat of violence or betrothal turned into people actually coming at him to hurt him. That is when he ran. That's what happened in Lev's story. Other kids probably also ran and died in the process. I explained that the other option is to accept what your mother and your people have told you and take the assigned role. Lev wanted to serve the cult as a warrior, rather than a wife. He is still a cult member, but he wanted another method of service to them.

Endorph posted:

do you. do you think hed have been cool with the rape if he was a cis woman?

Why is this framed fearfully instead of as a normal question if it was meant to be a normal question?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Peacoffee posted:

Lol I read this in a very American accent

Aussie

Yeah and I don't think I'll be proven wrong. There will definitely be games this year which are far far less divisive but in raw numbers of players with a very positive response I think only cyberpunk can beat this

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Don’t forget that Lev’s sister was a warrior. There were definitely female warriors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

zelah posted:

Don’t forget that Lev’s sister was a warrior. There were definitely female warriors.

Yep. I'm sure there were no shortage of cult kids genuinely taken by the idea of being a leader's wife as well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1275103339907178496

heres druckmann going 'saying naughty dog abuses its workers, is #gamergate'

dude needs to learn how to shut the gently caress up and let his publicist deal with things instead of getting all elon musk on twitter

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Look if you want to bankroll a remake of this where the characters walk around on barren settings with outlines of environments marked and named in chalk ala Lars von Triers Dogville yea I'd play it

i would so play a dogville version of this game

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’m beginning to suspect that Stux isn’t a poster but a wandering spirit that flits between unbanned usernames.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been thinking a lot about this game, Bioshock Infinite, and other AAA games with aspirations of "traditional" artistic sophistication. Individual components of the games can have artistic merit, like the music in Bioshock Infinite or the vocal work in TLOU, but the sum of the whole is a bland corporate product.

That's what I keep returning to, that these games are maybe fine when accepted without any consideration of their origin, but when you start thinking about just how many artists - real artists with talent and ability - spent so much labor and time, even at the expense of their own health and happiness... to make, what? A mediocre shooter? It's a loving a waste.

especially when we can get a great story and game from a studio with a handful of people like Gone Home.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Aussie

Yeah and I don't think I'll be proven wrong. There will definitely be games this year which are far far less divisive but in raw numbers of players with a very positive response I think only cyberpunk can beat this

Again, you're appealing to mass as if it means anything. A large number of people have loved many a popular thing. It didn't make their quality any less poo poo. You're not arguing the games strengths, you are arguing people are wrong for disliking it because "Well other people like it."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FalconImpala posted:

There's a venn diagram of "this game is a 10/10 masterpiece" and "it's pretty" and it's real round

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

Why is this framed fearfully instead of as a normal question if it was meant to be a normal question?
the repetition was meant to imply confusion not fear dude, seriously, chill

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endorph posted:

the repetition was meant to imply confusion not fear dude, seriously, chill

Do you actually think anyone would reply to your question with "yes I think if he was a cis woman he would have been fine with being raped"? It wasn't a real question.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jim Sterling's video about it had a bunch of quotes from people praising Heavy Rain when it came out and I honestly think recency bias might be the most powerful force in the universe.

GTAIV as Jim mentioned is the one that sticks with me. You could not say anything bad about that game for a while after it came out and what really got me was people deriding Saints Row 2 as a bad, immature knockoff title when now, looking back, thats basically completely flipped.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

doingitwrong posted:

This is true.

They chose a remarkably poor story theme for the kind of game they wanted to make.

Beyond the problems of a game story about choices which the player doesnt have, they made a game about the futility of violence where the tools you use to progress are violent. It was probably never in the cards for them to make a different genre of game, but they could have told a different story.

this is why i liked death stranding and most of what kojima has done. you can almost always get through most of his games without killing anyone if you want which gives you alot more control over your character.

the forced killing in this is just frustrating, in my opinion, and not necessary to get the point across unless the only point was to make us hate ellie. sure, its a revenge tale and about the cycle of violence, but theres no depth beyond that. noone learns anything and youre forced to not learn anything with them.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 24, 2020

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Onmi posted:

Again, you're appealing to mass as if it means anything. A large number of people have loved many a popular thing. It didn't make their quality any less poo poo. You're not arguing the games strengths, you are arguing people are wrong for disliking it because "Well other people like it."

That's literally not what I'm saying, I'm just saying calling it a failure on the level of andromeda, anthem or ride to hell is absurd

The Last Jedi comparison is apt whether you're a fan or hater of that movie and/or this game, it's a divisive success

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

Do you actually think anyone would reply to your question with "yes I think if he was a cis woman he would have been fine with being raped"? It wasn't a real question.
Getting this insanely aggro because someone was confused about a weird thing you said is seriously bizarre, dude. And why are you picking on me when 17 other people also expressed confusion?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Harrow posted:

Anyway all of this just makes me want to play Disco Elysium again so I can bask in the better writing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sir Tonk posted:

this is why i liked death stranding and most of what kojima has done. you can almost always get through most of his games without killing anyone if you want which gives you alot more control over your character.

the forced killing in this is just frustrating, in my opinion, and not necessary to get the point across unless the only point was to make us hate ellie.

It sounds like the state of some things change depending on what you do while playing. Nothing really impactful of course but stuff like the body bags. I'd be interested to see if there were more things like that, but it's kind of the only situation that springs to mind.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Peachfart posted:

Comparing TLoU2 to Mad Max: Fury Road is almost criminal.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Real hurthling! posted:

The last half of the game is the scene from mgs3 with all the dead ghosts you killed, only 12 hours long and still in a bad game

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

That's literally not what I'm saying, I'm just saying calling it a failure on the level of andromeda, anthem or ride to hell is absurd

The Last Jedi comparison is apt whether you're a fan or hater of that movie and/or this game, it's a divisive success

Oh... of course it's a success, anyone who thought this game wasn't going to sell is loving absurd. I made that point in the first few pages that there's no way this isn't well-reviewed and selling well. I find it interesting that the divide is not along the typical lines. And the amount of content produced from it is typically indicative of a Dragon Age 2 or Andromeda. It's just in this case the produced content isn't "Showing off the games buggy animations" but picking scenes from it to highlight and meme, mostly out of unintended hilarity. Punchposting is one that is horrifying in-game context and absurdly hilarious without it.

The issue with the venn diagram is it always comes with the also overlapping circle of "And it only looks this good because of Naughty Dogs horrific culture that chews up and spits out developers like meat to the slaughter house."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hey remember how Metal Gear Solid V was suppose to be the Breaking Bad of gaming, but Big Boss never even went bad and you didn't even play as Big Boss.

that and he was only like halfway done with it when they cut off his funding and made him just end it.

MGSV ended like The Prisoner, abruptly

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JBP posted:

It sounds like the state of some things change depending on what you do while playing. Nothing really impactful of course but stuff like the body bags. I'd be interested to see if there were more things like that, but it's kind of the only situation that springs to mind.

I really expected the Abby hospital body bags scene to be «we don’t know who killed these people, but it’s not scars» but nah. I thought the Abby parts would have her slowly realize Ellie is hunting her, but there is no overlap until she finds Alice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

davejk posted:

I do wonder if the build the leaker had ended with the basement scene. That could definitely lead you to conclude that Ellie dies, because her and Dina are both bleeding out on the floor and Tommy is shot in the head, and I'm still not entirely clear on how they get from there to living happily on a farm hundreds of miles away before the rest of the ending happens.

or how tommy survives being shot in the face without a hospital anywhere close.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hideo kojima is a dumb writer and the big fanboys are even dumber.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ymgve posted:

I really expected the Abby hospital body bags scene to be «we don’t know who killed these people, but it’s not scars» but nah. I thought the Abby parts would have her slowly realize Ellie is hunting her, but there is no overlap until she finds Alice.

This is one of the more disappointing things for me looking back. There is some scuttlebutt re intruders going on as Abby travels around, but their journeys are very seperate until you shamble into Tommy's killzone. Thinking it through if you were just retreading Ellie's path or if that was Abby's main priority it would have made her plotline weaker. I was kind of expecting Abby to escape the hospital boss only to find that it was mayhem outside and the sounds of everyone trying to shoot down Ellie as she chased Nora.

What each character does day by day has some nice correlates though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Kojima is a dumb writer but his games are engrossing and cool and I'd rather sit through a million "SIT DOWN FOR HALF AN HOUR WHILE I TALK ABOUT THIS COOL poo poo I JUST READ ABOUT" cutscenes than something that bores me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panzeh posted:

He makes excellent gameplay to story decisions though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Regardless of the number who disagree, this game will have more people consider it among the best games ever released than anything else that comes out this year other than maybe Cyberpunk

And?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JBP posted:

He makes excellent gameplay to story decisions though.

Which is why he makes you fight Cliff several times in his walking simulator or make you wait two hours before you even really get to begin.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Harrow posted:

Since this seems like the "discuss what the hell is going on at Naughty Dog" thread, these tweets might be of some interest. The writer who reported about Amy Hennig leaving Naughty Dog saying that the editors forced a gossip/"she was forced out" angle into the story that wasn't backed up by the reporting and left him to take the fallout:

https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/1275458023515971590?s=20

https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/1275458024384221184?s=20

lol of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panzeh posted:

Which is why he makes you fight Cliff several times in his walking simulator or make you wait two hours before you even really get to begin.

I didn't mind fighting Cliff all those times given the reason he's showing up is because he's your dad and he misses you

E: unless you mean the ratio of gameplay to story. I guess that's up to what you enjoy, I meant more that his gameplay decisions usually service the narrative and his themes really well.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 24, 2020