Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

I hate using huge discords but gently caress it, may as well have a last resort handy. What is it?

It's in the OP but here it is anyway

https://discord.gg/QErneZT

Edit:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Discord link in the op is expired fwiw

Oh whoops ignore that then

Edit 2: it actually worked for me

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Discord stinks get a .com or .co.uk some forum software and good moderation

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

It'll be as big a hit as the ukmt wiki

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lets all go take over Fark.com

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'll make a new forum, no antipodeans allowed though

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

:hai:

E: drat Lowtax ages like poo poo, must be all that DV

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

kecske posted:

what the

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the $100 cookies he buys with donation money

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is that really a thing? what kind of business model is $100 cookies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

It really makes the fact he is getting into relationships with younger and more attractive women bizarre

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ahhh Lowtax I never meant to deplatform ye, I just heard there was Gold in yer Belly! [Sea Captain noises]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aphex- posted:

Edit 2: it actually worked for me

Worked for me 2nd time, I must have fooled it's Old Person detectors :confuoot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not sure the forums will just disappear... it's a business, surely it'll just get sold to pay lowtax's bills

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I only really post ITT any more and have missed SA history for the last 15 years. Is there a summary anywhere? What happened to Bigpeeler? What happened with all those old Goon Meets in Las Vegas? How many internet celebrities have span out of SA and then revealed to be pieces of poo poo?

Must build a Foundation class starship to send these valuable archives to a safe place for further reading on the way to Andromeda (the tv series)

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I think bigpeeler got permabanned for repeatedly posting crap threads.

I remember around the time i joined there was a massive thread about some goon who was getting mysterious notes from someone asking him to travel around the country to random locations or something.

That was shortly followed by fiesta cat and the fiesta cat plushy disaster. I remember a goon getting accidentally cordoned off inside a police crime scene in shoreditch and getting dared to take ever more embarrasing photos or something too!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just found out via a link in that thread that there's a huge outing of sex abusers in UK and Ireland wrestling too.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I only really lurk here, but if these forums die, thank you all so much for being a refuge of good political takes on this reactionary piss island.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

PoorWeather posted:

I only really lurk here, but if these forums die, thank you all so much for being a refuge of good political takes on this reactionary piss island.

We’ll just go to that other disco site we found

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Can't we just coup Lowtax and keep the forums?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
See you all on the Discord if it comes to it, this thread informed my political awakening, and I value the solidarity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I hate Discord and even more hate the age of the forum is past

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well I joined the discord. I've been meaning to for ages since I finally joined up for the other sort of D&D when The Event happened.

I don't necessarily anticipate being around very much as long as no Events happen here.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

floofyscorp posted:

Can't we just coup Lowtax and keep the forums?

There's gotta be a way

Not sure drowned in sound would appreciate a full scale ukmt immigration

And discord is cool and all but the forum format allows for a more thoughtful discourse even if it is 99% monster munch and Twitter hot takes these days

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Maugrim posted:

There's gotta be a way

Not sure drowned in sound would appreciate a full scale ukmt immigration

And discord is cool and all but the forum format allows for a more thoughtful discourse even if it is 99% monster munch and Twitter hot takes these days

Yeah I would suuuuper regret the loss of forums format. It's really the only format in which I'm comfortable having this kind of political discussion, specifically because it doesn't move quite as fast as social media and you can have more threaded discussions more easily without hiving off into separate discussion trees like on Facebook.

web... are we on 5.0 now?... sucks.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Discord essentially uses a message board format, the difference is that low effort quick posts are more acceptable on a social media platform so it will move super fast. moderating out low effort posts would probably go someway towards an SA like feel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Discord is a very good piece of chatroom software, but it's a chatroom, not a message board. It doesn't have discrete threads to package discussions into. Imagine if you merged every single thread in each subforum into one horrible gigathread, it would be unreadable.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Whatever happens, I'm glad I lurked here long enough to be shown that England is a nasty little pile of dirt filled with insidious racism and a ruling elite that literally make rules to gently caress it's own countrymen over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I would suuuuper regret the loss of forums format. It's really the only format in which I'm comfortable having this kind of political discussion, specifically because it doesn't move quite as fast as social media and you can have more threaded discussions more easily without hiving off into separate discussion trees like on Facebook.

web... are we on 5.0 now?... sucks.
:same:

Facebook feels like hundreds of people each screaming into their own private abysses alongside holiday photos, irc/discord is a dozen long fast flowing chats running parallel to each other, twitter is a mixture of the two with a bunch of firstname bunchofnumbers butting in to tell you that conservatism is the new punk against the woke holocaust, messenger apps are best for people you already know, and 00s style pseudonymous forums are about the best place for interesting discussions.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't believe that people will just let SA die. There has to be enough people willing to invest time/money/expertise to do something that isn't just a load of discords.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CancerCakes posted:

Discord essentially uses a message board format, the difference is that low effort quick posts are more acceptable on a social media platform so it will move super fast. moderating out low effort posts would probably go someway towards an SA like feel.

It's a chatroom and people use it like a chatroom. It's ephemeral,

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

This but VideoGames.

VideoGames moderating moderator actions only mind, that's the only way you can have a not-crazy workload.

This is very kind of you to say but I think I would probably balls it up somehow. :)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’ll start the wiki . Txt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames best mod imo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How the hell am I supposed to consume media without a place to go and immediately discuss that media?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Having listened to the revolutions podcast on the English Revolution I'm confident that there's a way to share power between myself, OwlFancier, and VideoGames in a manner that preserves both order and liberty *falls over own rear end 50 times and deletes the Ireland thread*

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How the hell am I supposed to consume media without a place to go and immediately discuss that media?

agreed, bring back the imdb forums

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Considering the amount of time I spend on here, I'd be willing to pay a significant amount to preserve the community on a different platform :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Having listened to the revolutions podcast on the English Revolution I'm confident that there's a way to share power between myself, OwlFancier, and VideoGames in a manner that preserves both order and liberty *falls over own rear end 50 times and deletes the Ireland thread*

Jesus H Christ I should not be in charge of anything, I probably shouldn't even be in charge of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Discord has some good chats etc but you actually need to be there at the time to engage in the conversation, and be able to give it constant attention because of the speed the conversation moves at

Much of my posting time nowerdays is in little chunks at weird times, forums make it easy to talk about some poo poo from the previous day with quotes etc- I can catch up easily from where I left off, respond if I want and come back to it later

I don't want to bail on this place but I also don't think this poo poo can go on any longer. Part of me wishes I had the nerve to bail after the new years revelations and I'm pretty sure I was telling myself the same thing then about the previous bullshit before that.