Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fridge corn posted:

I would have let them kill ellie if I was given the choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

sure glad ellie could survive so that she could murder a bunch of people and end up miserable. what an engaging and entertaining story

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

JBP posted:

It sounds like the state of some things change depending on what you do while playing. Nothing really impactful of course but stuff like the body bags. I'd be interested to see if there were more things like that, but it's kind of the only situation that springs to mind.

and i really like stuff like that, wish they had done more with it. the story in this is just so loving bleak and not in a good way (imo).

like, theres a version of this that could have allowed for stealthing every encounter and not killing any humans and perhaps getting different people to interact with or something like that. hell, keep the revenge tale the same i don't care.

its not how naughty dog makes games and thats fine. i just really didnt like how they wrote the story and the gameplay was, to me, debilitating as gently caress and the last ten hours or so i only wanted it to wrap things up.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Onmi posted:

The issue with the venn diagram is it always comes with the also overlapping circle of "And it only looks this good because of Naughty Dogs horrific culture that chews up and spits out developers like meat to the slaughter house."

amen

we need way more games press people focusing on this instead of sucking off every dev they get in a room with.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Regardless of the number who disagree, this game will have more people consider it among the best games ever released than anything else that comes out this year other than maybe Cyberpunk

the demons souls remake might come out this year

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't the body bag scene way too early for Ellie's murder rampage anyway?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Could've been Tommy's pre-rampage, and/or seraphite victims setting the stage for Isaac's attack

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Tlou2 is the only video game that has managed to make me empathise with a character who is essentially an IDF soldier, by having her defect to save refugees so that sure is something

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Tlou2 is the only video game that has managed to make me empathise with a character who is essentially an IDF soldier, by having her defect to save refugees so that sure is something

And Tetris is the only game that made me question the materialist dialetics of our western capitalist paradigm, but I think that says more about me than the game.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

amen

we need way more games press people focusing on this instead of sucking off every dev they get in a room with.

Let's not bring that up again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s starting to drive me nuts that whenever there’s a tweet about trans stuff in this game, whatever the context, at least 2-3 people are piping up to say “actually Abby isn’t trans she’s just a masculine-looking woman”

Stop trying to enter the discourse when you have no idea what happens in the loving game lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s starting to drive me nuts that whenever there’s a tweet about trans stuff in this game, whatever the context, at least 2-3 people are piping up to say “actually Abby isn’t trans she’s just a masculine-looking woman”

Stop trying to enter the discourse when you have no idea what happens in the loving game lmao

I don't think I've ever seen so many people commenting on or critiquing a game when they don't have a basic understanding of who the characters are or what happens in it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

JBP posted:

I don't think I've ever seen so many people commenting on or critiquing a game when they don't have a basic understanding of who the characters are or what happens in it.

I have never seen more hot takes on piece of popular art from people who haven't experienced it than this game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

It says a lot about people's perception of gender when they think Abby must be the trans character everyone is talking about.

The funniest thing about the whole situation is that frankly the game isn't really very good (I didn't finish it) but some people take a criticism of the game as a criticism of the "social justice agenda" or whatever the chuds are on about.

Sometimes a thing is just bad!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Peachfart posted:

sure glad ellie could survive so that she could murder a bunch of people and end up miserable. what an engaging and entertaining story

This, but earnestly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly love how pointless the story turns out to be overall. Really fits the themes perfectly for it to all be so loving futile.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I honestly love how pointless the story turns out to be overall. Really fits the themes perfectly for it to all be so loving futile.

Lack of closure + "winning" =/= pointless

The real treasure is the friends we lost along the way

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
When I saw Sicario there was an old, white couple shuffling out of the screening after me and I heard the husband turn to the wife and say, 'Well, that wasn't very nice'.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The virgin Ellie and the Chad Abby

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I didn't pay attention to Abby's scenes too closely, did the game ever explained why Abby bulk up? Being a soldier for an awful military organization doesn't seem enough reason. Manny is chill.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
What's with the Space Needle being on an island?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Lack of closure + "winning" =/= pointless

The real treasure is the friends we lost along the way

It would've been 10x better if you get to choose to kill/release Abby at that moment but aside from some minor interactions literally nothing else about the ending changed. That would've done way more to push the idea they kept talking about with watching the lynching and wanting to inflict pain on people because then the player actually got to choose, like all those other times they murdered people throughout the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

I didn't pay attention to Abby's scenes too closely, did the game ever explained why Abby bulk up? Being a soldier for an awful military organization doesn't seem enough reason. Manny is chill.

Presumably because her dad got killed by a psychotic road warrior.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

pentyne posted:

It would've been 10x better if you get to choose to kill/release Abby at that moment but aside from some minor interactions literally nothing else about the ending changed. That would've done way more to push the idea they kept talking about with watching the lynching and wanting to inflict pain on people because then the player actually got to choose, like all those other times they murdered people throughout the game.

I think a big factor in her choice is the presence of Lev there. I don't think Ellie would have been so merciful without Lev. I think she understands that Abby is to Lev what Joel was to her when she was younger. The goodness to her is not perpetuate that loss

I.e the mercy is not so much to Abby as it is to Lev "take him"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

-Training for revenge
- Training for military
- dorm is literally next to the gym
- lifting is fun and good
- Abby is chad
- thematic reason 1 abby comes from a place of order with her surgeon father and growing up in an organisation dedicated to bringing a new order to the post apolaypse first the fireflies and now the WLF and construction of the body is the logical extension of that
- thematic reason 2 so they can show her withered away at the end for a visual metaphor of how she's no longer the icon Ellie has in her mind marked for revenge

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think a big factor in her choice is the presence of Lev there. I don't think Ellie would have been so merciful without Lev. I think she understands that Abby is to Lev what Joel was to her when she was younger. The goodness to her is not perpetuate that loss

I.e the mercy is not so much to Abby as it is to Lev "take him"

which, letting the player choose, could have minimal effect on the ending other then how it makes the player feel. it makes the experience personal to the player in a way tv movies and books can't ever match.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ellie should have made it even by drowning Lev instead then boating away, setting up TLOU3 where it's the same poo poo again but Abby is ten times bigger and attacks Jackson with an army of infected footsoldiers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

pentyne posted:

the experience personal to the player in a way tv movies and books can't ever match.

This describes all video games by definition.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

pentyne posted:

which, letting the player choose, could have minimal effect on the ending other then how it makes the player feel. it makes the experience personal to the player in a way tv movies and books can't ever match.

I understand your POV but it's the exact same debate people had about the first game. In my mind neither game would have benefited from a choice at the end and having the player execute the actions of a character they might not agree with is a unique and worthwhile experience of the medium as well and is still "interactive" even if not choice based

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I understand your POV but it's the exact same debate people had about the first game. In my mind neither game would have benefited from a choice at the end and having the player execute the actions of a character they might not agree with is a unique and worthwhile experience of the medium as well and is still "interactive" even if not choice based
I'd argue that could say the same thing about QTEs, and who really likes those all that much?

e: To elaborate, a cutscene QTE has you "interactively" participate in a scripted sequence of events that should, by all rights, have gone down exactly the same way whether you did anything or not. Your actual influence on what happens in minimal and mostly you're just made to perform periodic skill checks before you're allowed to see the next part of it. I think it's fair to criticize that, because it's everything that is worst about video games as a storytelling medium. It doesn't really do anything to leverage their strengths at all.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 24, 2020

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

At a basic core the experience of "being" a character leads to a different relationship and empathy with a character than novels and film. I think this is prima facie true and doesn't need to be proven but if you disagree it is what it is

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

At a basic core the experience of "being" a character leads to a different relationship and empathy with a character than novels and film. I think this is prima facie true and doesn't need to be proven but if you disagree it is what it is
I think it's a bit of a tautological statement that avoids addressing what people are actually criticizing about this kind of story design, but fair enough, I guess. I just wanted to explain why I don't think it's quite enough. :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd argue that could say the same thing about QTEs, and who really likes those all that much?

e: To elaborate, a cutscene QTE has you "interactively" participate in a scripted sequence of events that should, by all rights, have gone down exactly the same way whether you did anything or not. Your actual influence on what happens in minimal and mostly you're just made to perform periodic skill checks before you're allowed to see the next part of it. I think it's fair to criticize that, because it's everything that is worst about video games as a storytelling medium. It doesn't really do anything to leverage their strengths at all.

TLOU 1 still had this issue which others brought up, that the scripted sequences basically had no danger, it's entirely reliant on you being caught up in the excitement of it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

pentyne posted:

I am more upset that the game made me play as Abby in first Abby/Ellie fight.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am more upset that the game made me play as Abby in first Abby/Ellie fight.

I think that did a really good job of conveying how terrifying being an NPC being attacked by a video game player character would be

Its interesting how the end fight is effectively the same end non-boss fight as the fight at the end of uncharted 4 only instead of two coolboy badasses (drake and Jake gyllenhall from prisoners) on a burning structure we have two broken sad women fighting on a beach. I wonder if blade runner 2049 was an influence

But really, U4 and Tlou2 were just cribbing from the end fight in mgs4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was laughing at the end of the game because all I could see was ocelot and snake punching the poo poo out of each other

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Remember in tlou2 that one weird vehicle section where you got infinite ammo? That felt so much like a UC section

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
That fight was so good because I didn't want to kill him but I didn't want to let him down either, like Grey Fox and the Boss

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Firstborn posted:

Remember in tlou2 that one weird vehicle section where you got infinite ammo? That felt so much like a UC section

I loved those bits. I'm going to play NG+ with items turned way up and make that bit the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

JBP posted:

I loved those bits. I'm going to play NG+ with items turned way up and make that bit the entire game.

That's my plan too, gonna buy the scope asap this time and snipe everything I can