Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any recommendations for light boxes for taking photos? Mostly for 1/12 scale figures. There a ton of cheap ones on Amazon, but I'm not sure which ones are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kingtheninja posted:

My way of focusing my black series collecting is to only pick up trooper variants (ot/pt Era). It's been working out but the commander Cody figure is one of the remaining ones I'm really after. It's so expensive at this point I'm actually considering pre ordering the hot toys Cody for like $100 more because why not?

I think Cody is one of the ones Hasbro was expected to re-release soon if you were able to wait.

Is it just me or is it really hard to get the Plasma Ghostbusters to actually hold their wands and to keep the backpacks on?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nanigans posted:

The RotJ Vader Figuarts (the recent one, not the original release) is pretty much perfect and matches the RotJ Luke more than the Mafex, which uses the ANH/Rogue One look for the armor/cape/chest box.

Agreed.

I grabbed it randomly a month or two ago and can honestly say it's overall the best Vader there is at this scale. It's PERFECT.

The RotJ Boba Fett released around a similar time, however, is not. Way too short, the Mafex Bobas (I prefer his ESB look) are still the best, not even remotely a competition.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

My way of focusing my black series collecting is to only pick up trooper variants (ot/pt Era). It's been working out but the commander Cody figure is one of the remaining ones I'm really after. It's so expensive at this point I'm actually considering pre ordering the hot toys Cody for like $100 more because why not?

As it happens, I have a loose black series Cody I would be completely willing to part with... my friend grabbed it for me at a thrift store, but I don't actually collect 6" Star Wars figures at all. It's in brand new condition, but I did open it. It never occurred to me this would be a sought-after item. Hit me up if you want it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

This goes up for preorder at Entertainment Earth in about 40 minutes

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/comiccon-at-home-exclusive-wwe-figure-will-have-yo/1100-6478762/

About two months ago I was complaining about how there isn't a decent Mr. T figure and here we are.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ultraviolence123 posted:

This goes up for preorder at Entertainment Earth in about 40 minutes

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/comiccon-at-home-exclusive-wwe-figure-will-have-yo/1100-6478762/

About two months ago I was complaining about how there isn't a decent Mr. T figure and here we are.

Oh man, thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately EE isn't accepting my login to preorder it, dunno if its a security thing or they're just slammed right now :sassargh:

e: if anyone is able to access and get a 2nd one, I'll pay you via PP or Venmo ASAP

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm so excited! Hasbro has put up an official G.I. Joe website with a character list that probably reveals the most likely figures we're going to see in upcoming waves:
https://gijoe.hasbro.com/en-us

Baroness was pretty much a given, considering she is featured so prominently in the Drew Struzan-style art on the package. (Shame the Storm Shadow looks like a Mortal Kombat character with his Bane-style mask and Yakuza tattoo sleeve.) I'm sure wave 2 will consist of those two and the Cobra Commander we've already seen, and then probably some combination of the Red Ninja, Alley Viper, and Gung Ho. Then some Target leak revealed Zartan, Major Bludd, Flint, Lady Jaye, and BARBECUE (a deep cut in an otherwise all-star lineup) as upcoming figures. They're all listed on the website, so they could be wave 3.

But two of my all-time favorite Joes are listed, both of whom are deeper cuts that I wasn't expecting to see anytime soon, if at all -- Chuckles and Sci-Fi. Lifeline would probably be my third choice, but it looks like we're more likely to get Doc. He was the Joes' first medic anyway, and he brings some necessary diversity, so I get it.

There are now official G.I. Joe Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts that promise announcements and reveals all week long, but the best stuff will probably be revealed on HasbroPulse this Friday, as a "Fan Friday." With as terrible as everything is right now, this is really making me happy, hopeful, and enthusiastic about something.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 22, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

All you need is Chuckles.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Some of these updates are terrible. Some are just okay. Can't say I am in love with any of them though. Baroness is my favorite character and I sigh in relief that she came out okay. Not a huge fan of the gold trim but I can live with it, or just acetone it off. Storm Shadow at least looks okay too, more menacing, but he's not classic and that's going to rub a lot of fans wrong. On the flip side, he's Storm Shadow, of course he's going to get multiple figures done the road. In fact he just needs an alt-head and that would placate most probably.

I've never heard of this character Helix. Is she completely new?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

Some of these updates are terrible. Some are just okay. Can't say I am in love with any of them though. Baroness is my favorite character and I sigh in relief that she came out okay. Not a huge fan of the gold trim but I can live with it, or just acetone it off. Storm Shadow at least looks okay too, more menacing, but he's not classic and that's going to rub a lot of fans wrong. On the flip side, he's Storm Shadow, of course he's going to get multiple figures done the road. In fact he just needs an alt-head and that would placate most probably.

I'm 100% sure some of that artwork is just placeholders. Like Sci-Fi is straight out of the '80s comics (maybe G.I. Joe: Order of Battle?), Barbecue, Doc, and Viper are definitely the exact '80s toy package art, whereas Chuckles is from the post-2008 IDW comics when Larry Hama returned to writing. Dusty is from one of those forgettable early 2000s toy lines like Spy Troops or maybe Valor vs. Venom. So if they look dated or weird, I wouldn't panic just yet.

Baroness is one of my favorites too, and I'm convinced they will reveal her new figure on Friday, if not before. I'm glad they didn't change her too much. It looks like she'll have gold shoulder pads, a pair of gold pistols (like Castor Troy!), and purple highlights in her hair, which is fine with me. At least it isn't a huge redesign. I fully admit she was one of my first crushes as a young kid, which explains a lot about me, and why I hope the figure comes out amazing.

And that's the thing with Hasbro and especially G.I. Joe -- at least with the big marquee characters, you know you're going to get several variants, possibly dozens. So I fully expect a Snake Eyes with his original goggles (although I would have loved swappable heads), a more classic-looking Storm Shadow (I will be patient for that one), a hooded Cobra Commander (he looked more menacing in the hood), etc.

If they're smart, they will release a set of blue-suited Cobra soldiers with swappable heads (black and red face masks), different webgear and weapons, etc. Even smarter would be a set of green-suited Joes with the classic "suspenders" and "harness" webgear to choose from and swappable Grunt, Breaker, Zap, and Short Fuse heads. I'm sure most people would be happy to pay for separate figures of each without even having to choose between the different heads.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

She got a figure in the Rise of Cobra toyline, afaik thats her introduction.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm 100% sure some of that artwork is just placeholders. Like Sci-Fi is straight out of the '80s comics (maybe G.I. Joe: Order of Battle?), Barbecue, Doc, and Viper are definitely the exact '80s toy package art, whereas Chuckles is from the post-2008 IDW comics when Larry Hama returned to writing. Dusty is from one of those forgettable early 2000s toy lines like Spy Troops or maybe Valor vs. Venom. So if they look dated or weird, I wouldn't panic just yet.

Baroness is one of my favorites too, and I'm convinced they will reveal her new figure on Friday, if not before. I'm glad they didn't change her too much. It looks like she'll have gold shoulder pads, a pair of gold pistols (like Castor Troy!), and purple highlights in her hair, which is fine with me. At least it isn't a huge redesign. I fully admit she was one of my first crushes as a young kid, which explains a lot about me, and why I hope the figure comes out amazing.

And that's the thing with Hasbro and especially G.I. Joe -- at least with the big marquee characters, you know you're going to get several variants, possibly dozens. So I fully expect a Snake Eyes with his original goggles (although I would have loved swappable heads), a more classic-looking Storm Shadow (I will be patient for that one), a hooded Cobra Commander (he looked more menacing in the hood), etc.

If they're smart, they will release a set of blue-suited Cobra soldiers with swappable heads (black and red face masks), different webgear and weapons, etc. Even smarter would be a set of green-suited Joes with the classic "suspenders" and "harness" webgear to choose from and swappable Grunt, Breaker, Zap, and Short Fuse heads. I'm sure most people would be happy to pay for separate figures of each without even having to choose between the different heads.

I'll be surprised if a hooded Cobra Commander gets made. He's problematic and reminiscent of the KKK (same is most likely true for some Marvel characters we'll never see in Legends either). I now wonder if that original design element was on purpose? GI Joe for being a rah rah jingoistic toyline had some interesting politics in the original comics line. They still have Battle Armor Cobra Commander though!

Generic Cobra soldiers are definitely a possibility if you look at Marvel Legends. Hasbro has started offering Hydra and AIM soldiers on their website for reduced cost and simpler packaging. No doubt they'll do the same with G.I. Joe. But when every Cobra goon is a potential army builder, I wonder how they will deal with that. There's always going to be a couple of guys out there that want 400 Alley Vipers or whatever.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

drat, those would all be great in a six-inch figure. Sci-fi, of all things maybe. I loved his joe as a kid. Deffo in on a baroness.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

drat, those would all be great in a six-inch figure. Sci-fi, of all things maybe. I loved his joe as a kid. Deffo in on a baroness.

I'm so psyched for Sci-Fi and Chuckles! They are two of my all-time favorites. Sci-Fi was the first Joe I ever actually asked for and got. He was my third Joe overall -- I found Airtight abandoned on a playground (with no accessories), and it was a while before I even knew who he was. Then I got Serpentor as a birthday present before I had fully gotten into G.I. Joe. When I saw the checklist/catalog in Serpentor's package, I saw this guy who looked like a lime green Robocop, and I knew I had to have him. That started my love affair with G.I. Joe until 1989-90.

Then Sci-Fi became even cooler to me because he was Jewish (his file card said his real name was Seymour Fine, so he had to be one of the only Jewish Joes!), and in one of the only episodes of the cartoon that featured him, he took Sgt. Slaughter to a comic book and pop culture convention, so I knew he was also a nerd like me.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

If I pre-order a bunch of stuff from AmiAmi that is all coming out in different months, and I choose "Ship with this order", when something comes out will it wait for the rest of the month to see if another item releases and then just ship all of the items for that month, each month? Also, I'll just be charged as each item comes in stock, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

If I pre-order a bunch of stuff from AmiAmi that is all coming out in different months, and I choose "Ship with this order", when something comes out will it wait for the rest of the month to see if another item releases and then just ship all of the items for that month, each month? Also, I'll just be charged as each item comes in stock, right?

You'll get a payment request immediately but they give you enough time to respond to wait for other stuff from that month to combine.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Aphrodite posted:

You'll get a payment request immediately but they give you enough time to respond to wait for other stuff from that month to combine.

Awesome--thanks! Just shifted a bunch of my Japanese figure orders over to AmiAmi. Saved like $300 before shipping gets factored in.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So interesting news about Black Series releases, apparently Target is going to start selling merchandise from the Galaxy’s Edge land at Disneyland/World. This includes singles of figures that were only available from multipack before. Specifically Hondo Ohnaka, and the Mountain Trooper, based on these DCPI readings

https://twitter.com/yak_face/status/1275226341521199104?s=21

The 3rd Black Series might be Captain Pyre, and the $400 one is a Millennium Falcon.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gann Jerrod posted:

the $400 one is a Millennium Falcon.

Holy poo poo are they finally rereleasing the "Legacy" one?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Holy poo poo are they finally rereleasing the "Legacy" one?

Or something similar. It’s listed as a “Smuggler’s Run” Falcon, but it’s not something they already sell at GE so it’s probably just the old one with a new radar dish and maybe some Hondo figure.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

I'll be surprised if a hooded Cobra Commander gets made. He's problematic and reminiscent of the KKK (same is most likely true for some Marvel characters we'll never see in Legends either). I now wonder if that original design element was on purpose? GI Joe for being a rah rah jingoistic toyline had some interesting politics in the original comics line. They still have Battle Armor Cobra Commander though!

Generic Cobra soldiers are definitely a possibility if you look at Marvel Legends. Hasbro has started offering Hydra and AIM soldiers on their website for reduced cost and simpler packaging. No doubt they'll do the same with G.I. Joe. But when every Cobra goon is a potential army builder, I wonder how they will deal with that. There's always going to be a couple of guys out there that want 400 Alley Vipers or whatever.

No, but it's actually the reason they changed him to a helmet, along with the fact that it was easier to make a toy that had a helmet for a head instead of cloth.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Gann Jerrod posted:

So interesting news about Black Series releases, apparently Target is going to start selling merchandise from the Galaxy’s Edge land at Disneyland/World. This includes singles of figures that were only available from multipack before. Specifically Hondo Ohnaka, and the Mountain Trooper, based on these DCPI readings

https://twitter.com/yak_face/status/1275226341521199104?s=21

The 3rd Black Series might be Captain Pyre, and the $400 one is a Millennium Falcon.

I am ready for Hondo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember seeing a Ghostbusters Plasma Series Ecto-1 in a Target system search when I was asking an employee about the figures.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fuzz posted:

Agreed.

I grabbed it randomly a month or two ago and can honestly say it's overall the best Vader there is at this scale. It's PERFECT.

The RotJ Boba Fett released around a similar time, however, is not. Way too short, the Mafex Bobas (I prefer his ESB look) are still the best, not even remotely a competition.

The Figuarts Star Wars stuff is just too clean, is the problem. For Luke and Vader, that's not really an issue because neither one is meant to look dirty, but Boba is meant to look like he's been through a lot.

The scale is actually not bad on that Boba, though. I've seen videos comparing the height of the actor and character and the Figuarts is perfectly 1:12 scale height wise, though the helmet is way too small. The Mafex Bobas are actually slightly too tall. But they nail it in every other way. The dirtiness just isn't there in the Figuarts like it needs to be. I have the same problem with the first appearance Mandalorian they released last month. That, and the accessories are terribly fragile/fussy. The holster for the sidearm on mine broke through completely normal posing 5 minutes out of the box. Mando's helmet is small, but it's actually accurate to the show. The producers set out to make his helmet smaller than Boba's to make him look more heroic.

I'm excited for the Beskar suit Mandalorian from both Mafex and Figuarts. Mafex looks nicer in promo images, but the Figuarts has the better accessories overall.

Speaking of Mafex:

These motherfuckers still haven't released a single figure from this line and somehow keep making this promo shots that make me want to just send my direct deposit to them to cut out the middle man.

I'm gonna be strong and wait on any other figures in the line until I have Batman in my hands at least. Supposed to be end of July/early August.

Also, I need a Hush Robin, Joker and Harley now, kthx.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When did hush start wearing a domino mask? Wouldn't that just be like, Bruce Wayne wandering around with a domino mask on? That'd be weird and he'd be super recognizable, right?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When did hush start wearing a domino mask? Wouldn't that just be like, Bruce Wayne wandering around with a domino mask on? That'd be weird and he'd be super recognizable, right?

Uhhhh

That's Clayface impersonating Hush impersonating Jason Todd. It's kind of a big deal in the original Hush storyline.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s even an R on his chest.

Man, that was the biggest deal for the month before the next issue.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Well, apparently it should have been obvious.

I thought the original hush storyline just had Bruce's best friend from childhood end up being a loony who tried to kill him and then take over his life? When did the rest of the stuff happen? I don't recall, well, any of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh. Well, apparently it should have been obvious.

I thought the original hush storyline just had Bruce's best friend from childhood end up being a loony who tried to kill him and then take over his life? When did the rest of the stuff happen? I don't recall, well, any of it.

Same story. It was a Jeph Loeb story, so he made sure to get every Batman villain possible in it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Did someone say Jason Todd?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Man, for some reason to me, it's really weird to think "Hush" came out almost 20 years ago :psyduck:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, are there any other good figure forums/maybe a discord?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We have a BSS discord!

Edit: I’ll PM you!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 24, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, are there any other good figure forums/maybe a discord?

I like the Fwoosh forums. I know I’ve seen a couple others from in here post there too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Careful. Kiwi Farms have been trying to join any SA stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that is?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

We have a BSS discord!

Edit: I’ll PM you!

https://discord.gg/SgPGZkJ

It's not at all a secret, so no need for PMs! Official BSS Action Figure Discord.

I also run the official ACBA Discord, but if people want to join that they can get the link off the above discord, don't want to clutter this post.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I don’t have PMs. Got the link from the quotes post but that should probably be edited too!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that is?
They're psychopaths on a doxxing website who exist to harass and cause misery for others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah so it's kind of like this site but with less domestic abuse.