Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

spwrozek posted:

Rates are basically 0% so not a surprise at all.
The part I thought was surprising is that they moved by more than 0.1%. Never seen them do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Any references to help market my ecommerce site? Got social media account, websites and all the good stuff setup. Just need a company/someone to help shift things to gear. Not looking to go on Fiverr or whatever to find someone.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Are there any good references for budget guidelines re percentages? Eg no more than 25% on housing, 10% on food etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Are there any good references for budget guidelines re percentages? Eg no more than 25% on housing, 10% on food etc.

A proper budget is at least 85% candles.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CelestialScribe posted:

No, because the best you're going to get with a percentage-based budget is a handful of very rough guidelines that might not apply well to your situation.

Take the food example. Say your income doubled tomorrow - you might splurge a bit more at the grocery store, but you wouldn't spend twice as much. Or, if it were cut in half, you'd probably cut a lot of other things out of your life before you chose to spend half as much on food.

For another example, think about tradeoffs between transportation and housing costs. Someone who lives near transit in a major city might pay a ton in housing costs, but if they can get away with not having a car, their transportation budget might be a hundred bucks a month or so for a bus pass. People in rural areas are in the opposite situation: their living situation is probably dirt cheap, but they put a ton of money into everything to do with their car. Trying to put those expenses into some kind of boxed-in "you should spend 25% on housing and 15% on transportation" framework won't work well for either situation.

Try to figure out your actual goals, and then look at the spending that's necessary to get you there.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: changed my google words around and found what I was looking for.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 10, 2020

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
What’s a reasonable going hourly rate for a fee only fiduciary financial planner in VHCOL area? My situation is probably medium complicated: no need for complicated trusts or anything, but I do have a some chunks of stock options that I’d like to have a plan for.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
The hourly planner we refer to in the Bay area is $300/hr. Check the Garrett network for fee only hourly planners, or maybe XYPN. With Covid, everyone is doing virtual meetings anyway, so hire someone from bumfuck, your state if you want it to be cheaper.

What kind of stock options? Usually the plan is: is it a sizable part of your net worth? Sell immediately to diversify and eat the tax hit. Is it a small part of your NW or a stable stock? Consider holding on until you get LTCG treatment. But sometime things can get more complicated, depends on the type of options.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

moana posted:

The hourly planner we refer to in the Bay area is $300/hr. Check the Garrett network for fee only hourly planners, or maybe XYPN. With Covid, everyone is doing virtual meetings anyway, so hire someone from bumfuck, your state if you want it to be cheaper.

What kind of stock options? Usually the plan is: is it a sizable part of your net worth? Sell immediately to diversify and eat the tax hit. Is it a small part of your NW or a stable stock? Consider holding on until you get LTCG treatment. But sometime things can get more complicated, depends on the type of options.

Thanks. That's pretty inline with what I was finding. And good to know that XYPN is reputable and not some MGTOW thing. The XY thing weirded me out.

They're a mix of NQSOs and ISOs. I'm mainly curious about how to handle the ISOs in the event that I leave the company (basically, how big of a tax benefit is there long term if I were to exercise then vs the AMT implications). The options would still be good for three years after leaving, they just become NQSOs after 90 days. The company is still private, but I think that will change in the next few years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bergeoisie posted:

They're a mix of NQSOs and ISOs. I'm mainly curious about how to handle the ISOs in the event that I leave the company (basically, how big of a tax benefit is there long term if I were to exercise then vs the AMT implications). The options would still be good for three years after leaving, they just become NQSOs after 90 days. The company is still private, but I think that will change in the next few years.

I think we spent $1000? for one in Pasadena, CA. I didn't bring up my ISOs. I could give you their name if you like.

If the company is still private then any money spent on their options is roulette style gambling where your whole bet is "00". If it pops the tax benefits of ISO is huge if you do not already hit AMT annually. Unfortunately you already missed a key date (Dec 31) if you wanted to spread this burden out. If it fizzles and slowly-but-never-actually-dies then it's money down the drain. If the company officially dies you can then claim the loss on your taxes, $3,000/year. :toot:

You get ISO income on exercise "free" for so long as it is below your AMT amount. If you exercise and do not dispose of them they are income on the AMT form, if this pushes your AMT above your regular tax burden, you owe that money. There is a clawback over the next few years if your AMT is then BELOW your regular taxes. That spread between your option price and the FMV on exercise date is "free" income. Hold those shares for a year and the upside from FMV-on-exercise is LTCG, hold less than a year it's STCG (aka your marginal rate). This is your "Incentive" and caps at $100k/year. As I recall.

NQ's everything is taxable above your exercise price, the exercise price to FMV is ordinary income, the FMV to sale price is ST/LT capital gains.

So pick an amount of money you're willing to flush down the toilet, exercise those ISO's, pay your taxes as relevant, and move on. If you have more money to flush than you have ISO's, start exercising NQ's.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Why is zuarg posting in threads without any consequences now? I thought he was banished but whenever he posts no one does anything about it

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Why is zuarg posting in threads without any consequences now? I thought he was banished but whenever he posts no one does anything about it

Likely because of the apocalypse

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!

Thumbtacks posted:

Maybe people have finally realized that he's an insignificant little nothing of a person worth neither their time nor attention, who shall go unmissed upon his death - ignored by even the obituary column - and whose sole memorial shall be an annual pizza dinner held by his children to commemorate how much better their lives are now.

Or maybe he's just old hat and isn't funny anymore. Who can say?

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

So pick an amount of money you're willing to flush down the toilet, exercise those ISO's, pay your taxes as relevant, and move on. If you have more money to flush than you have ISO's, start exercising NQ's.

Thanks, that was a helpful explainer. For the record, I am mainly curious about the prospect of taking out one of those options-backed loans to lock in the ISOs now as oppose to forking over my own cash.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bergeoisie posted:

Thanks, that was a helpful explainer. For the record, I am mainly curious about the prospect of taking out one of those options-backed loans to lock in the ISOs now as oppose to forking over my own cash.

Link? Is this something where the sole recourse is the options? I assume they loan at some superficially usurious rate but it's actually pretty reasonable considering the outside risk involved?

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Link? Is this something where the sole recourse is the options? I assume they loan at some superficially usurious rate but it's actually pretty reasonable considering the outside risk involved?

https://www.troycapitalpartners.com/ and https://www.secfi.com/ are the two that I remember off the top of my head. They're pretty cagey about the terms on the sites but from what I've heard from friends, the sole recourse is the forfeiture of the options and the rate would indeed be usurious under normal circumstances. Those people all used them as they approached their NQSO expiration dates and I basically just want to run some numbers to understand if there's any benefit to doing it while they still have ISO treatment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bergeoisie posted:

https://www.troycapitalpartners.com/ and https://www.secfi.com/ are the two that I remember off the top of my head. They're pretty cagey about the terms on the sites but from what I've heard from friends, the sole recourse is the forfeiture of the options and the rate would indeed be usurious under normal circumstances. Those people all used them as they approached their NQSO expiration dates and I basically just want to run some numbers to understand if there's any benefit to doing it while they still have ISO treatment.

If the options are the sole collateral and $0 out of pocket including taxes I would do it in a heartbeat, after running the contract and your option agreement through a lawyer, if my other option is to let them expire. Sounds like some of the other places where they will flat buy your stock. (EquityZen)

If you have to front the taxes then I would run the math comparing how many you could exercise yourself. If you have $1 options and $10 fmv right now that's a lot of tax on very little loan.

Either way don't lose iso treatment if you are going to gamble. I suggest running the math on the number you can do amt-free and setting that as a minimum bet. It couldn't be that much money.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I don't know of a better place.
Is there good thread somewhere about time management and productivity? I work by myself and for myself and pretty much get what I need to get done, but I'd like to get a little better about tracking my time and getting more out of that time. I feel like I got more done when I had someone else around-just that little pressure of someone noticing what you're doing helped keep me focused. Part of it is probably that running my own business is more complicated and I'm pulled in more directions than I used to be when I just was focused on production. I'm never sure if at X moment I should be working on a job or doing the books or eating lunch or working on marketing or responding to emails etc etc. I think figuring out how to schedule all that, as well as get better at developing (and following!) schedules for jobs themselves, would help me, but I'm not really sure where to start.
Any recommended books/apps/advice aside from 'log off'?

I've read 'E-myth revisited' and from developing a business plan have a decent idea of what the financials should look like (and surprisingly, the reality doesn't look hugely different) I'd just like to figure out how to reach those goals more efficiently and not feel so scattered all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Where's our offsite gonna be?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Where's our offsite gonna be?

https://zaurg.finance.blog

(seriously would be good to know if there's going to be a BFC lifeboat, quite a few of the other community threads/forums are doing so in case of a full on ragequit)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I don't know of a better place.
Is there good thread somewhere about time management and productivity? I work by myself and for myself and pretty much get what I need to get done, but I'd like to get a little better about tracking my time and getting more out of that time. I feel like I got more done when I had someone else around-just that little pressure of someone noticing what you're doing helped keep me focused. Part of it is probably that running my own business is more complicated and I'm pulled in more directions than I used to be when I just was focused on production. I'm never sure if at X moment I should be working on a job or doing the books or eating lunch or working on marketing or responding to emails etc etc. I think figuring out how to schedule all that, as well as get better at developing (and following!) schedules for jobs themselves, would help me, but I'm not really sure where to start.
Any recommended books/apps/advice aside from 'log off'?

I've read 'E-myth revisited' and from developing a business plan have a decent idea of what the financials should look like (and surprisingly, the reality doesn't look hugely different) I'd just like to figure out how to reach those goals more efficiently and not feel so scattered all the time.

I don't own my own business, but I am a sales engineer/project manager and know what it's like to get pulled in a ton of conflicting directions with limited resources (time and energy). This may get a little "self helpy", but I've certainly found it useful.

- Use a dynamic task manager like ToDoIst of Microsoft To Do (RIP Wunderlist). I started using ToDoIst last August and it's completely changed my workflow. Things that used to fall through the cracks (signed change order, progress payments) no longer do.

- Ask yourself "Who am I serving right now?". I find this helps me prioritize internal requests (from my boss) vs. external (from my clients) vs. things I am ultimately doing for myself.

- The task that you don't want to do right now is exactly what you should be doing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Doccykins posted:

https://zaurg.finance.blog

(seriously would be good to know if there's going to be a BFC lifeboat, quite a few of the other community threads/forums are doing so in case of a full on ragequit)

What’s this about? Forum drama?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

What’s this about? Forum drama?

Lowtax is publicly accused of being an abuser

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rt4 posted:

Lowtax is publicly accused of being an abuser

again

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gently caress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rt4 posted:

gently caress

at least this time we goons are taking it seriously

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress I always kept to my bookmarks so I never knew he was more than a regular idiot.

My Patreon donations were more BWM than I thought.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929213

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

But how do I keep my 2001 regdate if we all go somewhere else? Asking the tough questions here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weird question in these trying times! i just got a letter from one of my credit cards saying they cancelled my account. i haven't really done anything differently recently, my income hasn't budged at all in the last year. i got the card three years ago because of a balance transfer offer and then paid down the balance over the 0% term. i haven't touched it since then but incrementally over this time they've bumped my limit from $1000 to $3000. the card is through Ollo. is this a bad sign for the economy or me specifically?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

i say swears online posted:

weird question in these trying times! i just got a letter from one of my credit cards saying they cancelled my account. i haven't really done anything differently recently, my income hasn't budged at all in the last year. i got the card three years ago because of a balance transfer offer and then paid down the balance over the 0% term. i haven't touched it since then but incrementally over this time they've bumped my limit from $1000 to $3000. the card is through Ollo. is this a bad sign for the economy or me specifically?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I recently got a similar letter from Elan about a card I hadn't used in years. I suppose I'll probably get the same on two cards I'm using for balance transfers in three years as well.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 25, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you want to keep a card throw one of our far too many recurring charges onto it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I almost hit a snag on a recurring charge. I had a credit card for my Netflix subscription that expired in May, and I needed to update my billing info with the new card's date. But the notice that my payment didn't go through for the month coincidentally came right in the middle of a spate of phishing attempt emails that kept saying my Netflix account had been suspended due to lack of payment and to click on their links to update my account. Almost missed the real notice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I have a Capital One Quicksilver card that's been bumped up from $5k to $17k in 3 years, and it's the only one I don't use.

My Citi Double Cash card? The one I use for my Comcast bill and gas every month, and I've had for 3 years now? Stuck at $3k.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigDave posted:

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card that's been bumped up from $5k to $17k in 3 years, and it's the only one I don't use.

My Citi Double Cash card? The one I use for my Comcast bill and gas every month, and I've had for 3 years now? Stuck at $3k.

Have you called and asked?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

H110Hawk posted:

Have you called and asked?

I asked a year ago I think and they just said my credit needs were being adequately met.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigDave posted:

I asked a year ago I think and they just said my credit needs were being adequately met.

Do you bounce off your limit at all? Mine has gone up ~annually and I'm at $20k now. But I also bounce off my limit from time to time below that much. If you have a specific purchase in mind tell them (I'm not saying to lie but...) and see if that helps. "Planning a vacation and trying to figure out which card to put it all on" or "looking to pay for new appliances" whatever. Have a dollar value in mind when you call. I would start at $6k. I think mine started at $3k which led me to call them immediately and tell them to cancel the card if that's all they were going to give me, my revolving balance is often up around $6k by the time autopay goes through on the second to last day before it's late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

H110Hawk posted:

Do you bounce off your limit at all? Mine has gone up ~annually and I'm at $20k now. But I also bounce off my limit from time to time below that much. If you have a specific purchase in mind tell them (I'm not saying to lie but...) and see if that helps. "Planning a vacation and trying to figure out which card to put it all on" or "looking to pay for new appliances" whatever. Have a dollar value in mind when you call. I would start at $6k. I think mine started at $3k which led me to call them immediately and tell them to cancel the card if that's all they were going to give me, my revolving balance is often up around $6k by the time autopay goes through on the second to last day before it's late.

No, I don't spend more then a thousand a month. It's literally just my gas card and Comcast bill, with the occasional car repair or maintenance cost.