Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like when a guy goes big on a double, blanks, guesses and Alex is like, “no, you got it right.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird to me because it's something you pick up watching the game. I gotta figure the people on the show have watched it at least as much as I have.

I watched for years while paying zero attention to wagering strategy beyond "bet big if you like the category, small if you don't." If you're interested in trivia but not logic puzzles it's easy not to notice or care, and it's something I would have to drill myself on if I ever got the call.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The only things that really annoy me as a viewer are objectively incorrect FJ bets and really timid DDs late when it’s the only chance of catching a runaway first place—J! does its best to be a microcosm of america and that thankfully includes people who aren’t just gamebots, and I think it would get tiring quickly if everyone just knew what to do 100% of the time

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spokes posted:

The only things that really annoy me as a viewer are objectively incorrect FJ bets and really timid DDs late when it’s the only chance of catching a runaway first place—J! does its best to be a microcosm of america and that thankfully includes people who aren’t just gamebots, and I think it would get tiring quickly if everyone just knew what to do 100% of the time

Yeah I'd love to see more people wager their whole stack (less $1) to play catchup on a really late DJ DD. There was a guy a couple seasons ago who bid all of his cash but $1 on the DD he found on the last clue of DJ, got it right, and ended up winning.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

I watched for years while paying zero attention to wagering strategy beyond "bet big if you like the category, small if you don't." If you're interested in trivia but not logic puzzles it's easy not to notice or care, and it's something I would have to drill myself on if I ever got the call.

Yeah this is what bothers me about it. It's almost as bad as the people going on Survivor who never bother to learn how to build a fire or shelter. How do you not get that call and then spend every free moment preparing? You don't have to be James where you can take a year off of life to prep, but at least brush up in your evenings on wagering strategy and the most common categories you know you struggle with.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol you pay for your own travel? Alright that does make it dumb.

It's weird to me because it's something you pick up watching the game. I gotta figure the people on the show have watched it at least as much as I have.

Yeah, unless you’re the returning champ or it’s a tournament, you pay for your own flight and the hotel (which they do offer you a discount for at a specific hotel).

From my experience, most people try to bet to win if possible and aren’t thinking of keeping second place secure or whatever. I figured most of my betting strategy from watching the game, and Keith Williams’ “The Final Wager” now discontinued YouTube series and his blog helped a decent bit. Didn’t have the money to take advantage, but his analysis of my wagering strategy said I made the right move, at least.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

Yeah I'd love to see more people wager their whole stack (less $1) to play catchup on a really late DJ DD. There was a guy a couple seasons ago who bid all of his cash but $1 on the DD he found on the last clue of DJ, got it right, and ended up winning.

That’s absolutely the right move. You know the Daily Double category and you have example questions (probably) already played from that category as examples. You’re so much better positioned to win the game right there in the Daily Double rather than relying on Double Jeopardy which you have no information about.

I would rather risk a lead in a Daily Double to make it a runaway than absolutely needing to be right in Double Jeopardy.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 16, 2020

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol you pay for your own travel? Alright that does make it dumb.

and the hotel!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah this is what bothers me about it. It's almost as bad as the people going on Survivor who never bother to learn how to build a fire or shelter. How do you not get that call and then spend every free moment preparing? You don't have to be James where you can take a year off of life to prep, but at least brush up in your evenings on wagering strategy and the most common categories you know you struggle with.

it's so frustrating! (both examples, but jeopardy more so)

like, survivor at least you know half the cast is hot young recruits trying to launch their entertainment careers, i can give them a pass

nobody goes on jeopardy without being at least a medium fan of jeopardy -- just... study the game itself a little bit. i'm not saying everyone needs to know the intricacies of a four-fifths vs a three-fourths final jeopardy scenario, but take two minutes and learn where the DDs usually are instead of studying that fifteenth bernini painting

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, unless you’re the returning champ or it’s a tournament, you pay for your own flight and the hotel (which they do offer you a discount for at a specific hotel).

mennoknight posted:

and the hotel!

Insane.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we used jeopardy as an excuse for a 5 day vacation in LA / San Diego, so we netted negative money wise. $1,000 basically covers the flight and hotel, once you factor in food and other expenses you’re def under a bit even if you just do it as a day trip.

That said, A+ , once in a lifetime experience, absolutely would do again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean it just sucks because it fucks over poor people like everything else.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean it just sucks because it fucks over poor people like everything else.

Can't disagree there.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jeopardy is way overdue for increasing the value of the 2nd and 3rd place prize, and the clue values overall. The last time they did so was 2001.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I wonder if wagering would change in any significant way if they want back to giving away holidays and furniture for the consolation prizes.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

GhostStalker posted:

I think they changed the returning champ rules with Ken Jennings, as well - he wound up having to shell out a fairly large amount of money to just keep coming back to LA, and of course he didn't get a cheque with his winnings until several months after his run was done.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, we used jeopardy as an excuse for a 5 day vacation in LA / San Diego, so we netted negative money wise. $1,000 basically covers the flight and hotel, once you factor in food and other expenses you’re def under a bit even if you just do it as a day trip.

Oh, this is definitely my plan if I ever get on the show. But then, that's the privilege of being part of the upper middle class contestant base; I can easily take a few days off work and pay for a hotel in LA for myself and my family, and there's a lot of people who would probably be just as good on the show who can't.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
:same:

I have a friend who lives in LA who we've been meaning to go visit anyway. Maybe if I kicked rear end and did well we couldn't do it more than just that first week, but I'd definitely fly out the weekend before to relax and hang out and not have to worry about being exhausted from traveling across time zones on game day.

But yeah, I also don't take for granted the privilege of being able to do this, and to float the not-insignificant cost of it.

Fingers crossed I finally get that call after they start filming again at some point, I'm still in the pool for another 6 months.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They extended the eligibility period for as long as tapings are shut down :sun:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, we ended up turning it into a mini trip. One day for J!, three days to just hang around LA, which was plenty for us to decide neither one of us ever felt the need to visit LA again ever lol.

I'm a person who had a DD towards the end of DJ when I wasn't winning. IIRC I had like $8k, Erik had $13k and Rock had like $2k or something. The category was State Fossils, and being Canadian, I can't say it was a category I was comfortable with. If I had bet enough to get in front of Erik going into final, I risked it being a runaway for him if I answered wrong. It was a $1600 clue I think, as well, and that factored into my decision to only bet around $1k. I might have the exact numbers wrong, but I remember I bet enough to get closer to Erik but not enough that if I got it wrong it would be a runaway for him. I ended up deciding it was worth making the lower bet in the hopes that I could get ahead of him in FJ, and it worked out well for me.

One of the things I paid a lot of attention to in my time leading up to J! was what categories I was really confident in, what categories I could more-or-less stumble my way through with guesses, and what categories were going to be hard for me. This one fell in the middle/towards the hard end of that scale.

Of course my question ended up summarizing to "what's a southern state with a capital named for Columbus" so it was easy enough, but I mean I think I knew the answer to two of the other clues in that category.

zakharov posted:

They extended the eligibility period for as long as tapings are shut down :sun:

You're the guy who had the audition right around when the lockdown started, right? Did that end up going ahead, or did they cancel it?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

HookShot posted:

You're the guy who had the audition right around when the lockdown started, right? Did that end up going ahead, or did they cancel it?

Mine was last June.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

Mine was last June.

Didn't you audition in Savannah, too, like the day before or after mine?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Nope I was in DC.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Someone in this thread did, I forget who it was.

Ah well, I'm almost kind of bummed they extended the eligibility; I've been assuming if I haven't been called by now I'm not going to be, and ready to try again. But who knows, since auditions have been stalled they might have to pick some contestants who would have otherwise just missed out just to get taping again right away before they can get more auditions rolling.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Mine was last June.

Ah cool, sorry!

Hope you all get the call soon. I haven’t heard of taping restarting but you never know.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Someone in this thread did, I forget who it was.
Might have been me; I was scheduled to have an audition in March, got them to rebook for some time in the future cause I had an event that weekend, and then society ended and I haven't heard anything.

I would see if they're looking at rescheduling auditions at some point, but I don't know if I'm crazy enough to travel into America this year even if the border does open.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Albino Squirrel posted:

Might have been me; I was scheduled to have an audition in March, got them to rebook for some time in the future cause I had an event that weekend, and then society ended and I haven't heard anything.

I would see if they're looking at rescheduling auditions at some point, but I don't know if I'm crazy enough to travel into America this year even if the border does open.

Jeopardy is one of the few things I would risk getting Covid for.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, this is what I did too. Spent the better part of a week in LA after flying in from NYC on Monday morning, taped on Tuesday, went to the Getty Center the day after my taping on Wednesday, Universal the day after that on Thursday, and then did the tourist thing with some friends of my aunt my last day in LA on Friday at like Griffith Park and the Chinese theater, plus dinner in Monterrey Park, flew out Saturday. Would’ve liked to see some more of LA like Little Tokyo or whatever, but I guess it’ll have to wait for my next trip there whenever that is. With how disappointing and tiny LA Chinatown was (at least the food was good), I probably would’ve been disappointed, but I still wanted to see it.

A year ago, I would’ve said that my next trip to LA would be for Anime Expo, but with the Rona (and my friends souring on the linecon experience there despite the guests), that’s looking less likely.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 18, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's an interesting question -- if you're going for a week (or 3 days or whatever), would you rather book it so your taping is the first or the last day or what?

I guess the most logical day would be the second, so if you're a big champion you can keep going without worrying about your flights/work/etc. But if that weren't an issue, I think I'd want to do the taping on maybe the second to last day so I could chill out first.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Oh yeah, for sure, I agree. At least they're doing interviews by Zoom now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

That's an interesting question -- if you're going for a week (or 3 days or whatever), would you rather book it so your taping is the first or the last day or what?

I guess the most logical day would be the second, so if you're a big champion you can keep going without worrying about your flights/work/etc. But if that weren't an issue, I think I'd want to do the taping on maybe the second to last day so I could chill out first.

Taping is Tuesdays. We flew in Sunday afternoon, had Monday off to do whatever , Tuesday was Jeopardy day, Wednesday (if she won we would stay) we drove down to San Diego, Thursday we flew out. Something like that.

I would say have a day to breath, but have Jeopardy early so it isn’t looming over the trip. But everyone is different.

It somewhat is whatever , we definitely , definitely took the approach the week of of “you know what you know, it’s more stressful to cram than it’s worth, just have fun.” We did little to no practicing the 1-3 day’s before jeopardy. I do feel it helped her play better.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I flew in Monday afternoon, mainly because Seattle -> LA is a very easy flight and I stayed in the same time zone so there wasn't really any of that stuff to deal with. Tuesday I woke up at 5:30 and went to the hotel gym to get the blood flowing early, just did a quick 20 minute workout, then had breakfast and got ready, and was in the lobby by 7.

Then Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning we hung around LA and Friday night was our flight.

I would not have been able to spend the days before the taping not studying. That's not my personality at all and it would have made things one thousand times worse for me, but if I was that kind of person I think doing part of the trip before taping would definitely have been the right call.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anne Whateley posted:

At the risk of sounding morbid, that's probably a moot question at this point. Alex has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and that's a death sentence, so the resuming of tapings will almost certainly depend upon his health.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's been in the back of my mind since knowing we were in the last couple weeks of recorded episodes before coronavirus shut things down. These could be the last Jeopardy episodes with Trebek.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah that was a 1000% hypothetical question, I just wanted to fantasize about vacations and Jeopardy and pleasant things

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I live in LA. It's OK.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Anyone here interested in a J! Goons discord? In case the site shits itself?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just invite all of us into the secret Facebook group for contestants! Problem solved!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Sure.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HookShot posted:

Sure. If you make one, I'd like an invitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

Just invite all of us into the secret Facebook group for contestants! Problem solved!

LOL.

Here's the discord: https://discord.gg/jrp3jG