Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

(Assuming the forums are still here tomorrow.)
Yeah, gently caress. I'll miss the Trad Games sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Setting aside the rest of that stuff about Auril, I note in the blurb that WotC claim to have invented the concept of 'a boss which has a second form when defeated'.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wouldn't normally mind the Three Goddesses thing, it's a piece of cool folklore that it makes sense to tap into for inspiration, but turning the Mother into just a womb is yikes.

potatocubed posted:

Setting aside the rest of that stuff about Auril, I note in the blurb that WotC claim to have invented the concept of 'a boss which has a second form when defeated'.
Was just about to say this. Congratulations on inventing the multi-stage boss fight, I guess? Which has been a feature in videogames for years?

...now I wonder which videogame did it first.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I wouldn't normally mind the Three Goddesses thing, it's a piece of cool folklore that it makes sense to tap into for inspiration, but turning the Mother into just a womb is yikes.

Was just about to say this. Congratulations on inventing the multi-stage boss fight, I guess? Which has been a feature in videogames for years?

...now I wonder which videogame did it first.

Also ignores their own history of monsters in 4e that had different stats/powers when bloodied.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't 4e already do phased statblocks? That was the whole point of Bloodied, but maybe it was 13th Age that had full-on phased fights.

Also yeah Maiden Mother Crone is a longstanding thing, but "womb" is beyond hosed up.

I guess the thinking was that you beat years off her life and she ages backwards - but killing a child is icky so she reverts into her pre-birth, but they didn't want to make it an abortion fight against a magical fetus so we accidentally got this poo poo.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think the intention is that as you fight her you're stripping away the accumulated 'cruft' of existence until you expose her fundamental nature.

Which is a womb.

A literally frigid one.

And... look. I like the basic idea of a multi-stage boss where your attacks remove parts of its identity until you're fighting nothing but What It Is, it sounds like a great way to inject some good symbolism into what would otherwise be a tedious grind -- but if you're going to add symbolism, you should probably show more awareness than this of what your symbolism... symbolises.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It literally says "a new 5th edition mechanic"

As in it's new to 5th edition which it is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wait, what's happening to the forums?

Dexo posted:

It literally says "a new 5th edition mechanic"

As in it's new to 5th edition which it is.

Yeah, dunking on D&D is fun, but "new to this version of our product" is bog standard marketing speak for... pretty much anything.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

Third time's the charm for Rich and domestic violence accusations. He's now 3 for 3 on beating his romantic partners and a lot of people are taking this opportunity to leave the SA (Spousal Abuse) forums. When Lowtax wakes up there's a non-zero chance he'll nuke the whole site.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980&pagenumber=1

Don't go past the first page, there's no new information and lots of goatmen and other banmes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKeen posted:

lowtax has been credibly accused of abusing his current partner. The most immediate material impact of this development is that people have been leaving his Patreon en masse

we don't actually know yet what's going to happen to the forums per se, but given that lowtax ultimately has the keys to the entire thing, there's a certain expectation that he may take it down in retaliation, and even if he didn't, other people are weighing the ethics of continuing to stay on the platform, so there is also a flurry of people trying to find ways to disassociate from posting in SA directly while still retaining their links to friends and communities they've found since

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

lowtax has been credibly accused of abusing his current partner. The most immediate material impact of this development is that people have been leaving his Patreon en masse

we don't actually know yet what's going to happen to the forums per se, but given that lowtax ultimately has the keys to the entire thing, there's a certain expectation that he may take it down in retaliation, and even if he didn't, other people are weighing the ethics of continuing to stay on the platform, so there is also a flurry of people trying to find ways to disassociate from posting in SA directly while still retaining their links to friends and communities they've found since

The good folks at the SA Discord have made a TG as an Industry channel.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

actually3raccoons posted:

The good folks at the SA Discord have made a TG as an Industry channel.

Converging on Discords is going to be a PITA, because I'm not seeing an industry channel in either of the TG Goon Discords I'm in.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Converging on Discords is going to be a PITA, because I'm not seeing an industry channel in either of the TG Goon Discords I'm in.

Yeah... I'm only in two of them, the main Goon one and a 40k one. I haven't even started looking into the GDN list.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Discord sucks for anything beyond basic chatting , so I hope there’s eventually an effort to make an actual new forum

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
There is breadnroses.net which is a lefty spin off forum.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I am a mod on https://slaent.com but it is a small forum (roughly 100 active users) and doesn't really have a traditional gaming presence. Anyone is welcome to join, of course.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

actually3raccoons posted:

Yeah... I'm only in two of them, the main Goon one and a 40k one. I haven't even started looking into the GDN list.

https://pastebin.com/Hz7rPxiJ

tl;dr Don't trust GDN on anything, they enabled a Nazi supporter to provide information to his Nazi friends. It might be fixed now but I have zero reason to trust it.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

tl;dr Don't trust GDN on anything, they enabled a Nazi supporter to provide information to his Nazi friends. It might be fixed now but I have zero reason to trust it.

Oh holy gently caress. Good call, thank you!!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

this was posted on one of the goon discords:

quote:

from a thread:
> ftfy, this is what happened last year with BroBot. BroBot's API token accidentally leaked and was re-used in an imposter bot that flew under the radar (due to how the Discord API works) and scraped messages from several Discord servers' admin channels in which BroBot was irresponsibly allowed to reside in. That was last year's drama, though - BroBot has been completely out of the picture for at least a couple of months now and has nothing to do with any of this year's Great Goon Drama.
>
> To date GDN bot has never been compromised like this. I really wish people would stop conflating the two

No idea if it’s true though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

this was posted on one of the goon discords:

No idea if it’s true though.

Completely unrelated to Brobot.

quote:

I give Tempus a bit of read-only admin panel access out of respect for his championing the bot this far

Tempus being the Nazi friend who was skimming information to give to his Nazi buddies.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

whydirt posted:

Discord sucks for anything beyond basic chatting , so I hope there’s eventually an effort to make an actual new forum

Yeah, and if there's a bunch of discords (I can't imagine a single discord could support so many people) there's less accountability for mods. I've had a bad experience with a pusdeo-goon related discord where the admin decided to ban me and then tell a bunch of lies about me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
So ive been offline for two weeks for surgery, and... holy loving poo poo.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Bieeanshee posted:

So ive been offline for two weeks for surgery, and... holy loving poo poo.

The meme's always been 'could you imagine trying to explain 2020 to someone in 2016', but it turns out it's hard enough trying to explain June 2020 to someone from May 2020.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

potatocubed posted:

The meme's always been 'could you imagine trying to explain 2020 to someone in 2016', but it turns out it's hard enough trying to explain June 2020 to someone from May 2020.

It's getting to the point where it could take a full day to explain Wednesday to someone from Monday.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

potatocubed posted:

It's understandable these are equivalent problems, because 2016 was four years ago, and May was also four years ago.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Weeks where decades happen is the subtitle of 2020.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
In the years to come, "May you live in interesting times" will be shortened to "May you live in 2020"

"2020" will also become an alternate punchline to The Aristocrats.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I feel like 2020 is the setup to the Aristocrats.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The end of this site, actual or effective, will.likely do a lot of damage to indie ttrpg.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm glad that some good communities have come out of this site, I just wish that someone else owned it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hopefully someone dedicated and weird enough can take over without disrupting the good parts (but also flushing GBS and the like down the toilet).

Honestly, my expectation is that the site continues as-is because Lowtax has been trash forever and this sort of stuff more often than not blows over.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for posting this. I had actually forgotten that I was a SA Patreon. Now that you've reminded me, I 've taken the time to cancel.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I’m from 2021 and YEESH just wait till you see it cause wow yours doesn’t even hold a candle, honestly.

...I mean, some of you who will see it.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Demon_Corsair posted:

There is breadnroses.net which is a lefty spin off forum.

And it already has a Trad Games + Actual Play subforum.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If the having to pay/donate for BnR isn't amenable to you, there is also the https://slaent.com site that has been around for five years or so that was created specifically to foster communities. There is little to no existing community for trad games there, despite me trying to start one a couple times.

For transparency's sake, I am a mod there and do want to see it grow a bit. However, it is free, no ads, and offers 2-factor authentication.

Accounts do require approval, but I am checking that every half hour or so and letting any account that isn't obviously spam go through.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

We added an industry channel to the TG discord for folks: https://discord.gg/c4JUKMa

It's a stopgap but it's something while we sort poo poo out.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned, but joining BnR is free (for the moment), it just takes a little while to get authed because they’ve had thousands of people register in the past two days.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

please stop spamming bnr in every single thread, jesus christ.

and for posterity:

Reene posted:

With the disclaimer that I'm aware they'll insist this is some kind of Admin Bias the leadership of BnR includes at least two people who have been accused of being sex pests and someone who has no problem with outing trans people if they are Posting Enemies.

I encourage people to congregate where they wish but I also encourage people to Be Careful in these chaotic times and people who choose to take advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Kibner posted:

If the having to pay/donate for BnR isn't amenable to you, there is also the https://slaent.com site that has been around for five years or so that was created specifically to foster communities. There is little to no existing community for trad games there, despite me trying to start one a couple times.

For transparency's sake, I am a mod there and do want to see it grow a bit. However, it is free, no ads, and offers 2-factor authentication.

Accounts do require approval, but I am checking that every half hour or so and letting any account that isn't obviously spam go through.

Just to clarify, right now you don't have to pay to join BnR. The admins are letting in goons for free right now.

You just need to sign up then wait once you hit the paywall screen. The admins over there will approve your account as soon as they can. They are just hilariously underwater right now, there are 4 people doing approvals and the member ship has gone from 600 to over 5000 in just over a day.