Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1273758000864530433?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

damnit Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra shot up to 40 bucks on Amazon. I know that there's stuff going on in the world right now, but still it's hosed how hard it is to get the Heisei Godzillas on Bluray

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

damnit Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra shot up to 40 bucks on Amazon. I know that there's stuff going on in the world right now, but still it's hosed how hard it is to get the Heisei Godzillas on Bluray

Godzilla movies having poo poo home video distribution is immutable, much like the laws of physics or thermodynamics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Timby posted:

Godzilla movies having poo poo home video distribution is immutable, much like the laws of physics or thermodynamics.

I wonder if we'd ever get them under the same distributor. Like one company has the rights to the flicks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if we'd ever get them under the same distributor. Like one company has the rights to the flicks.

We're half way there.

Good luck getting the rest though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

I’m so glad I snapped all of these up when they came out. Although, my copy of Biollante is paired with some lovely Asylum-esque z-grade creature feature, which kinda sucks.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I wonder if anyone even knows who has the rights to what in America anymore as far as Godzilla goes.

Looking at my blu-rays, Showa era is all criterion so I guess Toho and Universal (Because of Kong), but then Heisei gets weird with The Return of Godzilla being whatever the gently caress Kraken Releasing is, Biollante being Echo Bridge, which I'm pretty sure is Mill Creek, and everything else being Sony.

Somewhere along the way was a Megalon Blu-ray which I'm still not sure was ever officially released, and MST3k thought it had the okay to put that episode on a DVD collection but then immediately didn't.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have the Megalon blu, it’s by some place called Tokyo Shock.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Somewhere along the way was a Megalon Blu-ray which I'm still not sure was ever officially released, and MST3k thought it had the okay to put that episode on a DVD collection but then immediately didn't.

Media Blasters (edit: Media Blasters in conjunction with Tokyo Shock, as mentioned above) did a Megalon blu-ray back in (I wanna say) 2011 that had a decent assortment of extras, including a commentary track by Steve Ryfle and Stuart Galbraith, who are both fairly well-respected as franchise scholars. But it turns out that some part of the extras hadn't been triple-checked and cleared by Toho; they proceeded to flip out and stripped all the extras from the release to make some sort of bizarre point about...their authority? Something. Anyway a barebones release followed, but a few of the original extras got released "by mistake" and then I don't think there were any further printings after that.

So yes, to answer your question, the Megalon blu-ray was "official" but the license Media Blasters had was pretty short-lived, and now it (like all other Showa movies) is with Criterion now. And Criterion evidently had its own issues in putting out its bluray collection because Toho was stingy with the originals they provided and have declared some sort of fatwa on all the old Stateside dubs.

The MST3K situation is a mess but it all stems from the fact that Megalon was for whatever reason in the public domain in the US throughout much of the 80s and 90s, which is why everyone under the sun appears to have put out a cheap VHS release of it back in the day (and why MST3K was originally able to get a hold of it). By the time MST3K put out its DVD of the episode, Toho was being much more aggressive with reacquiring and/or reasserting its rights to movies that had slipped between the cracks in foreign markets.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Thanks for the info.

I understand the reasoning, but it's a shame Toho is so protective of all their Kaiju stuff

It seems like the best you can do usually is a barebones DVD release most of the time.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Thanks for the info.

I understand the reasoning, but it's a shame Toho is so protective of all their Kaiju stuff

It seems like the best you can do usually is a barebones DVD release most of the time.

There was a brief period in the mid-late 00's where Classic Media was able to put out some pretty good DVD releases - seven Showa movies, all with commentary tracks, along with a Rodan/War of the Gargantuas release that had some pretty good extras (no commentary tracks, unfortunately). Most of the other publishers apparently weren't as interested in putting out high-quality and feature-rich home video releases, although it's always possible that Toho was just being unreasonable about it. The initial Criterion release of G'54 (back in 2012 or so) was top-notch, but all of the Toho kaiju home video releases since then have been pretty lackluster, unfortunately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

The MST3K situation is a mess but it all stems from the fact that Megalon was for whatever reason in the public domain in the US throughout much of the 80s and 90s, which is why everyone under the sun appears to have put out a cheap VHS release of it back in the day (and why MST3K was originally able to get a hold of it). By the time MST3K put out its DVD of the episode, Toho was being much more aggressive with reacquiring and/or reasserting its rights to movies that had slipped between the cracks in foreign markets.

There was also the very brief release of it on the Shout Factory DVD set which had to be recalled and replaced with The Giant Gila Monster. From what I've been able to gather Toho is extremely uninterested in letting Shout Factory have the rights. And they've tried, I mean they bought the rights to Gamera just for the MST versions.

Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster is on Amazon Prime right now, and I think it's exactly the same cut I taped off of Birmingham Alabama's 'Night Moves' late night movie feature when I was a kid in the 80's.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Older Godzilla movies have better distribution in Japan, right? I can see the idea that Godzilla is smaller business in the rest of the world but getting at least okay releases of all of the movies shouldn't be so loving ridiculous and patchwork.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

There was also the very brief release of it on the Shout Factory DVD set which had to be recalled and replaced with The Giant Gila Monster. From what I've been able to gather Toho is extremely uninterested in letting Shout Factory have the rights. And they've tried, I mean they bought the rights to Gamera just for the MST versions.

Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster is on Amazon Prime right now, and I think it's exactly the same cut I taped off of Birmingham Alabama's 'Night Moves' late night movie feature when I was a kid in the 80's.

Yeah for some reason Amazon has that and "Terror of Godzilla" buried somewhere. The latter's at least interesting because of the opening, where they use clips from previous Godzilla films to tell this truncated backstory about how Godzilla came up to terrorize the world but then aliens attacked and he turned good.

One unfortunate thing is that Classic Media's release of Mothra vs. Godzilla has the US edit Godzilla vs. The Thing, but for some reason the US version is cropped to 1.78:1 because that was the best quality source they could find.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shiroc posted:

Older Godzilla movies have better distribution in Japan, right? I can see the idea that Godzilla is smaller business in the rest of the world but getting at least okay releases of all of the movies shouldn't be so loving ridiculous and patchwork.

It seems like they got them all on readily available individual blurays. With matching covers that are low effort but kinda neat

Although one of the top results for ゴジラ on Amazon.co.jp is the Criterion set. Which makes sense because it's going for 17000 yen and all the movies are 2900 each. So America wins on the Showa movies at least.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

The Gamera thing was a happy bit of circumstance and probably won't happen again -- the new rightsholders for Gamera are apparently not exactly thrilled with the idea of it being fodder for mockery. That said, the upcoming Arrow Video box set for all the Gamera films looks amazing, and the MST3K versions aren't exactly hard to find anyway (and Rifftrax was able to do a video riff of the Gammera the Invincible version of the original film just a few years ago).

Toho is, if anything, even more protective of the Godzilla franchise, so as you've said, it'll be a cold day in hell before we ever see an official release of either MST3K episode.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 24, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

The Gamera thing was a happy bit of circumstance and probably won't happen again -- the new rightsholders for Gamera are apparently not exactly thrilled with the idea of it being fodder for mockery. That said, the upcoming Arrow Video box set for all the Gamera films looks amazing, and the MST3K versions aren't exactly hard to find anyway (and Rifftrax was able to do a video riff of the Gammera the Invincible version of the original film just a few years ago EDIT: nevermind, seems they lost the rights to it since then).

I didn't know they'd lost the rights to Gammera. They still show it on their Twitch channel (I want to say as recently as a few days ago), but now I'm glad I bought it when I had the chance.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't know they'd lost the rights to Gammera. They still show it on their Twitch channel (I want to say as recently as a few days ago), but now I'm glad I bought it when I had the chance.

my bad, false alarm -- it's still there. the link you get from googling it is just broke for some reason. I thought they had lost the rights to it, which has happened a few times and resulted in riffs just vanishing from the catalog.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

my bad, false alarm -- it's still there. the link you get from googling it is just broke for some reason. I thought they had lost the rights to it, which has happened a few times and resulted in riffs just vanishing from the catalog.

This is why you buy and download everything

Archiving is key

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

This is why you buy and download everything

Archiving is key

the one I'm most miffed about missing out on is Planet of Dinosaurs :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

the one I'm most miffed about missing out on is Planet of Dinosaurs :(

Good news!

https://www.rifftrax.com/planet-of-dinosaurs

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

yay!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I know this is going to be a biased thread to ask this in, but I've never seen any of the Gamera films; if I love the majority of Godzilla films are they worth a blind buy?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The 90’s gamera trilogy is worth a blind buy for any kaiju fan. Showa Gamera is very much a lower rent, more child friendly Kaiju that may not be for everyone. I like the cartoony style but the older ones definitely don’t hold tour attention the way the 90’s ones do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've only seen the very first Gamera movie, but it owns and being kid-friendly doesn't detract from it whatsoever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The 90’s gamera trilogy is worth a blind buy for any kaiju fan. Showa Gamera is very much a lower rent, more child friendly Kaiju that may not be for everyone. I like the cartoony style but the older ones definitely don’t hold tour attention the way the 90’s ones do.

I feel like the Showa Gamera are best summed up by a riff from Gamera vs. Guiron where Gamera does some sweet acrobatic work on a handy bar and Joel Hodgson goes, "You know guys, I've just realized how weird this movie is. It's kinda goofy." The first one is a more serious take but the others are entertaining in the same way some of the later Showa Godzilla flicks are, although they do feature more annoying children.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I know this is going to be a biased thread to ask this in, but I've never seen any of the Gamera films; if I love the majority of Godzilla films are they worth a blind buy?

The 90s Gamera trilogy are hands down some of the best daikaiju films ever made. You owe it to yourself!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Magic Pus posted:

The 90s Gamera trilogy are hands down some of the best daikaiju films ever made. You owe it to yourself!

:hmmyes:

Heisei Gamera movies are the pinnacle of "people who grew up loving kaiju finally get to make them" but with good results instead of embarrassing fanfic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/DC839959 

This statue kinda feels like the state of these forums right now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/DC839959 

This statue kinda feels like the state of these forums right now.

Cloudflare isn't allowing me in. what is it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They look like they're being DDOS attacked now?

It's an SDCC statue of the Godzilla who's about to nuclear meltdown.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

so lifelike

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vinylshadow posted:

so lifelike

My guess is that it's from the upcoming movie, a statue made out of rubble by the survivors honoring their new king/savior/god

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

You've known me across the forums across the years.

How much do you like the really goofy Godzilla movies?

Like the REALLY goofy ones. Megalon, Gigan...really those two are the closest that fit. Hedorah has way better production values and a way better monster than most of Gamera.

That's most of the entire Showa Gamera set. You've got the original, which is a sort of serious but lower rung stand alone kaiju film, you've got VS Barugon which is mostly about Barugon and some times has Gamera, and then you have the rest. VS Gyaos is easily the best of the bunch and it's also the one where the military starts taking active advice from a small child.

These are the films that made Kenny be a thing in kaiju talk. Jiger is a war crime against good taste, Gurion goes so far into the cheese that it comes back around, and Zigra...sure has a reasonably attractive woman in a bikini for some portion of its run time.

Viras is almost inspiring in how inept it is.

Then you get the Heisei Trilogy which is basically Good drat Movies and The Brave is taking the IDEA of the Showa Gamera films but making a good modern movie out of it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I finally watched The Brave last year and I was surprised at how good it was. Yes, modern take on the Showa Gamera is the perfect description of it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/24/sahara-dust-storm-us-gulf-coast-texas-what-to-expect/3250102001/

Gee, it sure doesn't look like Godzilla... also it doesn't seem to be stomping through any major cities and destroying buildings..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I will never turn off adblocker

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

You've known me across the forums across the years.

How much do you like the really goofy Godzilla movies?

Like the REALLY goofy ones. Megalon, Gigan...really those two are the closest that fit. Hedorah has way better production values and a way better monster than most of Gamera.

That's most of the entire Showa Gamera set. You've got the original, which is a sort of serious but lower rung stand alone kaiju film, you've got VS Barugon which is mostly about Barugon and some times has Gamera, and then you have the rest. VS Gyaos is easily the best of the bunch and it's also the one where the military starts taking active advice from a small child.

These are the films that made Kenny be a thing in kaiju talk. Jiger is a war crime against good taste, Gurion goes so far into the cheese that it comes back around, and Zigra...sure has a reasonably attractive woman in a bikini for some portion of its run time.

Viras is almost inspiring in how inept it is.

Then you get the Heisei Trilogy which is basically Good drat Movies and The Brave is taking the IDEA of the Showa Gamera films but making a good modern movie out of it.

This sold me on them. If Gamera is the last thing these forums give me before they fade away then thank you Burkion.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gripweed posted:

My guess is that it's from the upcoming movie, a statue made out of rubble by the survivors honoring their new king/savior/god

Yeah, it looks there is rebar in it so it does look like rubble.

Wonder if the movie opens with monsters already ruling the world and this is near an entry point to Godzilla’s zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

This sold me on them. If Gamera is the last thing these forums give me before they fade away then thank you Burkion.

Any time, anywhere.

Go with Gamera and be well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRHqvC7f_o