Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

while we're in the end times I want to come clean to everyone as the person who spent actual money making and buying :umberto:. I also bought :ntlised: during the last general election, which in a brilliant achievement I now regret even more than the larger amount I donated to Momentum in the same month
The only mystery left to unravel is who was buying all the comedy red text avatars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I only ever bought one redtext and it was for that Lord Adonis guy because that was a very entertaining evening indeed

zhar
May 3, 2019

Looks like the modmins are actually taking a stand this time

Grand Fromage posted:

So uh. I'm guessing you have seen the Lowtax news. If not go to GBS and it's stickied.

The mod and admin team is all in agreement we can't and won't continue with Lowtax around. We also agree that this is the best community on the internet and it would be hosed up to lose it because of one person. So, we are trying to preserve it. I am hopeful that will be possible, but if Lowtax refuses to give up the forums then that's the end of it.

Anyway. Discord is in no way a replacement for a forum IMO but it's still something. I don't know that A/T really needs its own Discord?? But I don't want to lose the connections here, so I'm going to set one up and post invites for the event that we all abandon ship. I will edit this post to include them when I get to that. I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I don't know that I've ever straight out said it but my RL situation is my dad is dying of cancer and I am his sole caregiver, so I am kind of busy with that more than I am with forums business lately. That's why we have a IK and Cyrano helping out. I'm not going to ignore this, it's too important, but please don't get mad if something happens and I take more than like, an hour to respond to it. There is literally no one who thinks Lowtax staying is an acceptable option here. We're just trying to keep the forums. SA is the community, not any one person.

I'm going to leave this unlocked for discussion but I would suggest GBS for shitposting, and watch for admin posting/announcements for news.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really hope these forums will continue without Lowtax. Random separate discords is not the same. The Patreon showed that people are definitely willing to put up enough money to keep the forums going under new ownership.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
we could always invade Mumsnet

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my pistonheads account is ready

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

zhar posted:

Looks like the modmins are actually taking a stand this time

God I hope lowtax isn't a poo poo about this.

The forums should have been out of his hands long ago and into common ownership anyway.

I'd honestly seriously consider buying into SA CAG or whatever it ends up being and I don't often put money anywhere nonessential.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if all those patreon bucks got redirected that would pay for the forums surely? It cant be more than $5k a month

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I cut my digital teeth on internet forums, I can't keep up with The Discord - hope it stays up in some regard. Otherwise I will probably miss where everyone goes and keep googling phrases like 'goddamnedtwisto + BT Tower' or 'Ms Adequate + sounding' like some sort of what3words triangulation for uk pol chat.

I've been reading this thread on and off since 2011, initially when I was unemployed for about 2 years, it helped me put into words the way I felt and that people gave a poo poo about those forgotten or left behind by (big) society. If this is the end, it has been a good run and I thank you all for being good eggs over the years. Its certainly helped with my mental health and feeling isolated at various parts of my life, especially this year.

Cheers

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The Perfect Element posted:

Can anyone explain to me why this is THE END of the forums?

Even before a bunch of member shedding events (rip lastgirl and every other cspam hero), sa was costing more than it took in from reg/avi/plat purchases etc and became reliant on patreon based stuff to continue running

that cashflow is looking more and more hosed by the hour, and when lowtax wakes up and realises it might not even cover server/bandwidth costs, let alone a shiny sportscar on loan, I reckon he will probably gently caress it off rather than go into debt for a userbase that largely loving hates him

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, in all seriousness, this thread is one of the key factors in me finding a therapist, not least by literally giving me the link to the place I found my therapist.

Thanks thread, you mean a lot to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thespaceinvader posted:

God I hope lowtax isn't a poo poo about this.

The forums should have been out of his hands long ago and into common ownership anyway.

I'd honestly seriously consider buying into SA CAG or whatever it ends up being and I don't often put money anywhere nonessential.

its his only source of money

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jose posted:

its his only source of money

Yeah that was what I was worried about.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

This place (and in particular this thread) has been 100% responsible for making me the man I am today. Between the political education (and radicalisation!), the very real sense of community and frankly helping me finally start a business that seems to be doing better than I could have hoped I don’t know where I’d be without this collection of various broke-brained leftists, united (and then divided) by our strong Monster Munch opinions.

I’ve told the story before of how I came to be a regular reader back in the LF days (asked to keep an eye on things here by RBS Enterprise Risk during the 2010 protests). That job is now a decade behind me, but I’m so glad I did end up sticking around. This community made me a better person.

And I’m hosed if some abusive pillhead from a flyover state is going to ruin all that for us.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I remember not being particularly impressed with Lowtax in 2003.

sitnalisa
Dec 16, 2004

stupid virgin
Yeah I barely post but I got introduced by Photoshop Friday and then actually registered when someone posted somewhere asking for information about Julia Kristeva and got an answer within about 25 minutes. It's been a pleasure learning from you all, and I'm another one that got pretty radicalised by reading and listening. It's been an absolute pleasure to know you. I'm trying to get into the discord, but it's kind of confusing for me (I'm pretty old). So if things do fall apart, I thank you all for the ride.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I lurk more often than not but the posts and posters here have been an excellent educational resource for critical thinking, and the Left in general. If there's a Discord I would love to sit in it and just take it all in. Only this time not giving money to a domestic abuser while doing so!

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

The forum has been such a huge constant part of my life for almost 15 years now. I should have posted more.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

when i realised i was trans in 2011 this forum was probably a real saving grace

rippo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Discord link is still in the OP though you may have to try it a few times. A lot of people have joined up and it's good bantz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/1275828004988559368?s=21

The spiciest details are in the thread below - the aid reforms couldn't be more directly designed to facilitate another arms-for-aid scandal like Pergau Dam.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, in all seriousness, this thread is one of the key factors in me finding a therapist, not least by literally giving me the link to the place I found my therapist.

Thanks thread, you mean a lot to me.

:glomp:

and chalk me up as another who has been turned into a better person by this thread. Seriously, it's been one of the most influential things in my entire life

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
lol

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/dear-richard/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also like to think that, for what it's worth. Better or not, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to go back.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If it wasn't for this thread, I could well still be a: "Hmm, the truth is probably in the middle; perhaps I should consider voting Lib Dem next election" kind of person.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

this thread and forum really helped me realise why my life was always so hosed up and probably helped me become a much better person.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

:glomp:

and chalk me up as another who has been turned into a better person by this thread. Seriously, it's been one of the most influential things in my entire life

Yeah same.

I wonder if the sites just gonna disappear at some point later today, gonna be weird.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Just going to add that this thread is a life saver. When I see all my family posting right wing poo poo, I sometimes wondered if there was something wrong with me. Then I discovered this thread and "nah they're a bunch of racists fucks".

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Holy moly lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd wager that for every poster there's a handful of lurkers with accounts (some coming out to post now) and dozens of lurkers without accounts (who can't)

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
I mean this is hopeful?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I joined this forum off the back of 4chan. If it weren't for this thread I'd probably be in ukip or something daft like that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
potentially goodbye sa, I fondly remember learning about buildings and manhole covers and better marxist theory, and less fondly remember liveposting all the spiteful and shitheaded parts of my personal development and also a bunch of actual psychotic episodes

but hey, at least I took that out on the internet, and not my victims romantic interests

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/1275828004988559368?s=21

The spiciest details are in the thread below - the aid reforms couldn't be more directly designed to facilitate another arms-for-aid scandal like Pergau Dam.

Welp, good thing my job isn't depending on DIFD funding.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
You're all a bunch of beautiful bastards

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

potentially goodbye sa, I fondly remember learning about buildings and manhole covers and better marxist theory, and less fondly remember liveposting all the spiteful and shitheaded parts of my personal development and also a bunch of actual psychotic episodes

but hey, at least I took that out on the internet, and not my victims romantic interests

For real, you were one of the first posters I remember seeing in this thread in my lurking days, who made me think "huh, there's a thread for UK politics on SA & there's a lot of people who are vaguely similar in politics to me, maybe I should post with them". Think you were relating experiences dealing with the DWP during the coalition years & it was just so relatable to my own. And without this place I'd have long ago since become disenchanted with the abject horror show that is UK politics to the point where I'd probably just have stopped paying attention entirely.

UKMT has kept me up to date with the news, given me chuckles, helped me avoid feeling isolated politically, it's been a good time more often than that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ditto from me as a general lurker, thank you thread.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I don't post much but i thank this thread for helping me form correct opinions when I was torn between going full tankie or falling into some wishy washy lib dems poo poo. It was a strange time.

Also I listened to the thread podcast for the first time a couple of weeks back. The latest episode was the marvel cinematic universe one. At first I thought what the gently caress is this poo poo where is my politics. Then I really enjoyed it.

Then I listened to the another episode that was all politics and statues and thought, what is this poo poo, where is my cynical funny look at popular culture. Then I really enjoyed it.

In conclusion the podcast is a land of contrasts.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Perfect Element posted:

I think everyone who posts in this thread should just stay here. The thread has been so good for people in so many ways (I, personally, have bought some fudge!) that I think the benefits to us outweigh whatever advantage it confers to Lowtax.

I don't think, long term, we can morally keep using the forums without lowtax leaving. on a financial level: he's going to make some slight money off the ad revenue even if we don't pay for anything else (except me! i got ads off a while back! ethical forums consumption under lowtaxism!). not to mention the forums will probably die if no money comes in. Also, even if that wasn't an issue, we'd be using a forum controlled by a Bad Guy whose entire userbase agrees is a Bad Guy, that kind of dynamic would never last for a minute. We don't want him to even have the meagre power that comes from owning a message board.

Dead Goon posted:

I remember not being particularly impressed with Lowtax in 2003.

he has always managed to just about present himself as just-enough-of-not-a-poo poo to have the grudging acceptance of enough people to keep on using his forum, especially as the actual input he has in the running of the place has waned and we've all been able to tell ourselves it doesn't matter that our main admin seems to be kind of an rear end in a top hat who jumps in to make specific problems slightly better and/or worse every few months then disappears again. really like twitter and facebook the only thing keeping people from going elsewhere from this dead gay website is the number of people already using it

i'm sad if this all goes under i won't get to see what exact kind of shitshow the 2024 Scottish Independence Referendum thread would be. at least it wasn't going to have flaps involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Something something no ethical consumption under capitalism, seize the means of shitposting.