Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I've closed the door now but the horse is still gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think the takeaway is, we are all gonna die.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Gologle posted:

This thread and the protests thread are literally my top sources of information as to what's going on in the country and losing them would both probably be better for my mental health and also probably be really bad for my physical health.

New York Times has made their coronavirus articles free, I highly recommend getting news from proper news outlets such as them.

Ditching social media for at least the coronavirus news really is better for mental health because outlets like NYT very rarely have “We Are All Gonna Die” in their headlines. I noticed this already back in January when that Suleimani guy got killed: all social media started posting memes about world war 3 starting any minute now, but in NYT they explicitly said that war between US and Russia over that incident was very unlikely. The whole tone was just so much more rational than what went on on social media.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

The simple obvious big brain solution is to wind down testing over the next few weeks and then declare victory over the viral menace.

Pneumonia? What pneumonia?

Earlier post from early May, finally the government has figured out the end of testing means no more corona in the US! Very good news indeed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
A friend posted this:

SARS-CoV-2 binds to the cell surface protein ACE2 (angiotensin I converting enzyme 2). As the name implies, this protein cleaves angiotensin I involved in regulating blood pressure. (It is the target of ACE inhibitors that reduce blood pressure.) The coronovirus spike protein binds through it's receptor-binding domain (RBD) and the crystal structure of the RBD-ACE2 interaction has recently been solved by Chinese scientists (Lan et al. 2020). Most coronoviruses don't bind strongly to ACE2 but SARS-CoV-2 evolved a strong binding interaction similar to that of SARS-CoV (responsible for the SARS outbreak). It looks like an example of convergent evolution.

Lan, J., J. Ge, J. Yu, S. Shan, H. Zhou, S. Fan, Q. Zhang, X. Shi, Q. Wang and L. Zhang (2020). "Structure of the SARS-CoV-2 spike receptor-binding domain bound to the ACE2 receptor." Nature 581(7807): 215-220.
doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-2180-5

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Also:

SARS-CoV-2 is evolving at a normal rate from the initial isolate first identified and sequenced in China. Tung Phan at the University of Pittsburgh (USA) has compared the sequences of 86 strains from all over the world and he has identified a total of 93 mutations including three deletions (see figure below). Forty-two of these mutations are missense mutations located in the ORF1ab polyprotein gene, the spike surface glycoprotein gene, the matrix protein gene, and the nucleocapsid protein gene. No mutations in the envelope protein genes were found.

Phan, T. (2020). "Genetic diversity and evolution of SARS-CoV-2." Infection, genetics and evolution 81: 104260. [doi: j.meegid.2020.104260]

It means that it’s possible to track the various strains of the virus; for example, it’s clear that most of the infections in New York came from Europe. It also means that the virus is not hypermutating like the influenza viruses so a vaccine against the current strains is likely to be effective if it truly blocks virus entry or replication.

On the other hand, we are very unlikely to get an effective vaccine because none have ever been developed against coronaviruses.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 24, 2020

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

what am i to do with this information

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mons Hubris posted:

what am i to do with this information

perish

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Rust Martialis posted:

On the other hand, we are very unlikely to get an effective vaccine because none have ever been developed against coronaviruses.
This gets thrown around a lot. It's because nobody really gave a gently caress until very recently.

SARS-1: Burned out real fast, nobody cared anymore
MERS: Not very transmissible between humans, no one cares
Garden variety coronaviruses: Causes common cold in almost all cases, nobody cares

Yeah there were trials of some vaccines showing antibody-dependent enhancement, blah blah, but that does not at all mean it's impossible or that people keep getting stymied the way they do with HIV.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Somehow I figured I'd catch the Rona and die before the forums, but here we are. It's been a pleasure shitposting with all of you

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Iron Crowned posted:

Somehow I figured I'd catch the Rona and die before the forums, but here we are. It's been a pleasure shitposting with all of you

~~And The Virus Ronied On~~

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

This gets thrown around a lot. It's because nobody really gave a gently caress until very recently.

SARS-1: Burned out real fast, nobody cared anymore
MERS: Not very transmissible between humans, no one cares
Garden variety coronaviruses: Causes common cold in almost all cases, nobody cares

Yeah there were trials of some vaccines showing antibody-dependent enhancement, blah blah, but that does not at all mean it's impossible or that people keep getting stymied the way they do with HIV.

A big issue is that a lot of the research into vaccines is via private corporations and if they can't see any profits in following through they'll just drop it and wait for some more profitable disease to appear, because of course they're not going to spend all that money and time and resources for :airquote: the good of humanity :airquote:, that'd be unthinkable.

Here's a relevant post from a while back:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I noticed the other day the chairman of the White House Council for Economic Advice (the idiots who released that stupid fuckin' "Cubic Fit" virus model) tweeted this in support of Operation Warp Speed:

https://twitter.com/TomPhilipson45/status/1261405042256613382

Here's the direct link to that 2019 report, it's pretty interesting reading given what's been happening these last few months: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mitigating-the-Impact-of-Pandemic-Influenza-through-Vaccine-Innovation.pdf

quote:

We discuss why the private market has not embraced these newer vaccine production technologies and the lack of private incentives to develop and utilize improved vaccine production technologies that could better mitigate pandemic risk. First, there is a key misalignment between the social and private returns from medical research and development (R&D) and capital investment in pandemic vaccines. R&D and investment costs are only recouped by sales when the pandemic risk occurs. Part of the value of vaccines that can mitigate future pandemic risks, however, is their insurance value today that provides protection against possible damage. This insurance value accrues even if the pandemic does not occur in the future, and it implies that the social value of faster production and better vaccines is much larger than its private return to developers. This divergence leads to an underprovision in vaccine innovation because it does not get rewarded for its insurance value. Second, pandemics represent a risk with a small probability of occurring but with large and highly correlated losses across the population.The rarity of influenza pandemics and the fact that the last serious one in this country occurred a hundred years ago may lead consumers and insurers to underestimate the probability and potential impact of a future influenza pandemic. Moreover, the risk cannot be effectively pooled because everyone is at risk concurrently.

Although vaccine innovation is not currently rewarded for its insurance value, public-private partnerships created under a 2006 statute have been key in the development of the newer vaccine production technologies that offer the prospect of improved seasonal influenza vaccines and the accelerated timelines needed for improved pandemic preparedness. Push incentives like public-private partnerships combined with pull incentives — such as the government’s preferential purchase of vaccines produced domestically with newer, faster technologies — that may create more efficacious seasonal vaccines, especially for older people, can promote additional cost-effective innovation and lessen the impact of future pandemics.

tl;dr: the White House produced a report 3 months before the pandemic started which said "Hey we're super unprepared for a pandemic and if a big one happens we'll lose trillions and trillions of dollars from the economy and the social impact will threaten national security, but the private market won't independently fund the necessary vaccine R&D we need to safeguard ourselves against this because the cost/benefits calculations don't work in their favour so we should do something about that"

Keep that in mind every time Trump says something about "This is unprecedented", "No one warned us about this", etc etc..

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

A big issue is that a lot of the research into vaccines is via private corporations and if they can't see any profits in following through they'll just drop it and wait for some more profitable disease to appear, because of course they're not going to spend all that money and time and resources for :airquote: the good of humanity :airquote:, that'd be unthinkable.
This is basically correct. Months ago, I heard a good interview with Dr. Peter Hotez discussing coronavirus vaccines. IIRC he said that they had identified a promising vaccine candidate for SARS-CoV-1 way back in the day, and then right before clinical trials in humans, funding was pulled because the original SARS burned out and funding agencies stopped caring. This one had passed through some animal testing and didn't show the antibody-dependent enhancement that prior CoV vaccine candidates did. And that's just one example.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Iron Crowned posted:

Amazing isn't it? 2020 continues to pour poo poo and piss on us from a great height.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If the roni vaccine isn't a profitable venture I don't see what is.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I was briefly part of the development of a SARS CoV 2 vaccine candidate that is starting with animal trials soon so I got a glimpse of the costs involved. For just going through the setup, production and registration processes one basically needs the full backning of a well funded company and/or venture capital. Because getting that kind of money from grants for narrow high risk projects is basically impossible.

If states would want to fund things like this it would easily be possible, but if you can make a buck on your idea you are expected to do so and then you have to do it through the private sector.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 24, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

How so? If someone else releases a successful vaccine and your team is still 12 months away, or stuck in a dead end, then that was an unprofitable venture

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zudgemud posted:

I was briefly part of the development of a SARS CoV 2 vaccine candidate that is starting with animal trials soon so I got a glimpse of the costs involved. For just going through the setup, production and registration processes one basically needs the full backning of a well funded company and/or venture capital. Because getting that kind of money from grants for narrow high risk projects is basically impossible.

Here in Australia we had a pretty large federally funded agency called the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) which pretty much did random-rear end research into stuff they felt was important for it's 100+ years of existence until our current lovely conservative government defunded the gently caress out of them and reorganised them so that they only conducted 'profitable' research because they couldn't stomach wasting all that money on dumb nerd science poo poo. :(

My favourite CSIRO story is that a bunch of space nerds did a ton of research into detecting black holes and after years of work their study was a complete failure and it turns out that their theories had just been wrong so on paper it sounds like the entire thing was a huge waste of time and resources and money, but it just so happened that some of the tech they developed for unscrambling astonomy radio waves was also super useful for this new tech called "wi fi" which ended up being used in tens of billions of devices and they ended up making billions and billions of dollars on the patents.
Of course under the current government's "profitability" guidelines the original study into this extremely obscure nerd stuff that was never intended to event effect anything terrestrial would never have been approved.

unpacked robinhood posted:

It wasn't profitable until 2020, and by the time anyone realised that it was much much too late

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 24, 2020

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

zer0spunk posted:

I think the takeaway is, we are all gonna die.

Hazo posted:

perish

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog on Fire posted:

New York Times has made their coronavirus articles free, I highly recommend getting news from proper news outlets such as them.

Ditching social media for at least the coronavirus news really is better for mental health because outlets like NYT very rarely have “We Are All Gonna Die” in their headlines. I noticed this already back in January when that Suleimani guy got killed: all social media started posting memes about world war 3 starting any minute now, but in NYT they explicitly said that war between US and Russia over that incident was very unlikely. The whole tone was just so much more rational than what went on on social media.

I mean, news media also said the novel coronavirus wasn’t going to leave China while people on this forum were buying beans and masks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

How so? If someone else releases a successful vaccine and your team is still 12 months away, or stuck in a dead end, then that was an unprofitable venture

Not if one is more effective than another, results in fewer side effects, can be used on more people (live vs. dead virus), is cheaper to produce, etc. The competitive space isn’t just “is a vaccine or not”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallom posted:

Not if one is more effective than another, results in fewer side effects, can be used on more people (live vs. dead virus), is cheaper to produce, etc. The competitive space isn’t just “is a vaccine or not”

Fine but see the part where I mention dead ends; most efforts will never release a vaccine, clearly those ventures would be unprofitable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Fine but see the part where I mention dead ends; most efforts will never release a vaccine, clearly those ventures would be unprofitable

Ok

Companies are trying for a piece of the pie. That’s why it’s called a venture. I don’t think anyone’s arguing they’re guaranteed success.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallom posted:

Ok

Companies are trying for a piece of the pie. That’s why it’s called a venture. I don’t think anyone’s arguing they’re guaranteed success.

That's what unpacked robinhood appears to be saying

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

Heck no, some of those are the most profitable. There's been a bunch of cases recently where pharma corps have announced that they were close to a breakthrough and the market responded by immediately pumping the price of their stocks which no doubt was a huge windfall for their stock holders. They usually announce a week or two later that their vaccine has stalled at the next level of testing but they made a shitload of money and they didn't have to lose a ton of finances in expanding their manufacturing capabilities, the system is working exactly as intended!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This thread has been my main way of absorbing COVID news without having a mental breakdown, I hope the forums don't go away regardless of Lowtax apparently being a shithead.

If I have to get my virus news from serious news articles instead of goons' funny takes I will be extremely sad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8dtQjAvRE

E:
https://twitter.com/TheDukeIsALie/status/1275852231208828929

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 25, 2020

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Why the gently caress are people such babies about masks
I could barely tell I was wearing one when I had that ubiquitous blue surgical mask on. If my 80+ year old grandfather with a cold had no problem wearing one to see my grandmother in hospice (who by the way died of pneumonia and that was real loving tough to watch, one reason I'm so proactive about covid) I don't see why so many relatively young and healthy people are like omg it's so hard to breathe in one. The N95 type ones, yes, those get real stuffy a few hours in but 30 minutes in a grocery store in a paper mask? Come the gently caress on.
This has been my daily covid rant thanks

naem
May 29, 2011

this is the boring-est apocalypse

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

21st Cherry boy posted:

I could barely tell I was wearing one when I had that ubiquitous blue surgical mask on. If my 80+ year old grandfather with a cold had no problem wearing one to see my grandmother in hospice (who by the way died of pneumonia and that was real loving tough to watch, one reason I'm so proactive about covid) I don't see why so many relatively young and healthy people are like omg it's so hard to breathe in one. The N95 type ones, yes, those get real stuffy a few hours in but 30 minutes in a grocery store in a paper mask? Come the gently caress on.

Some people have real mental issues with stuff on their faces. Most people are just afraid to admit their own mortality to themselves, resulting in massive misbehavior.

Sorry about your grandma. :(

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

21st Cherry boy posted:

They're bug chasers

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They're bug chasers

pos my neg lungs

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Poz my neg mouth hole.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

21st Cherry boy posted:

Because 9/11.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/majorityfm/status/1275867327825920005?s=09

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The US just had its highest ever single day of reported cases, and even the rolling seven day average is higher than it was during the 'peak' back in early April.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

naem
May 29, 2011

buy some beans, stay inside, and just let ‘em die at this point

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Disneyland announced an indefinite postponement of reopening the theme park. Downtown Disney shopping and dining area opening per plan.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Burn Florida to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Extremely good timing when today cops in a different AZ city released a video of them smothering a man to death with plastic blankets
https://tucson.com/news/local/tucso...543340e4d4.html